• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS UO Newsletter #52

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So Shrine battles are the Biggest and Boldest????? Rerun...

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Yes, we've been tight lipped about the details but the time has finally come! On September 24, 2020, as Ultima Online celebrates its 23rd Anniversary, join us as we share this exciting news with you!
i don't know what to say about this.
i do the same thing to my kids all the time.... ask me next week.... ask me next week.... guess what, today im going to tell you..... im going to tell you to ask me next week.

when you say 'we have been tight lipped about the details but the time has finally come" that historically should be followed BY THE DETAILS you have been tight lipped about.
more accuratly you should have said, "almost there.... just wait a little bit longer!"

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This was announced for the Spring. They also were tight lipped about not making deadlines. Or just think we are too stupid to notice.

Sargon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
When I was a kid, my favorite radio station kept teasing a "big announcement" that they were going to make really early in the morning. When that day came, I woke up really early and got ready for school, then turned the radio on to wait. The time came and went with no announcement being made, but suddenly everything was in Spanish and remained that way as a new Spanish-language format. You heard it here first -September 24 is when UO goes exclusively Spanish.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
New land with some kind of limited housing bundled with a Guardian-themed dungeon and/or instance. That's my guess based on absolutely nothing.

Kincsem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hmm
New shard(map) with unlimited transfers
We can go there though the black gate...

Kuru

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is like every single person complaining about their jobs. “Boss passed me over for that promotion again.. but golly gee willikers, I’ll just keep at it!!”... if you are gonna complain about every release, I think it’s about time you start looking inward, and ask yourself why the ____ you still play this game.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is like every single person complaining about their jobs. “Boss passed me over for that promotion again.. but golly gee willikers, I’ll just keep at it!!”... if you are gonna complain about every release, I think it’s about time you start looking inward, and ask yourself why the ____ you still play this game.
I guess you did not see what Mesanna said about this content. It would bring UO to a wider audience. How is the normal Sept thru Dec stuff going to do that.

Kuru

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess you did not see what Mesanna said about this content. It would bring UO to a wider audience. How is the normal Sept thru Dec stuff going to do that.
I didn’t really pose that as a question. It was more of a statement.

I don’t really care how it brings UO to a wider audience or doesn’t. That’s of absolutely no concern to me.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What a shock! ( If I remember right I saw the silver items on test and they were very pretty.)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Seems as tho this whole year has been pretty underwhelming. And I don't buy that COVID ****, tired of everything from sorry cooking to bad tires and toenail fungus being excused by " but, but, the virus!!"

Especially when its tech work that can be done by remote login from home...

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I can see it now they will turn thieves into doormen to unlock and hold the doors of the world. Finally useful again right Pete!

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
*Shudders nervously*
Nope! I bet the plan in their mind is to allow thieving in Tram!!! And specific Tram Spawns, that WILL DROP 110 PS, level III primers and upper loot tables !! :banana:

**Then hides under the table to avoid onslaught of rotten vegies and eggs**

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Nope! I bet the plan in their mind is to allow thieving in Tram!!! And specific Tram Spawns, that WILL DROP 110 PS, level III primers and upper loot tables !! :banana:

**Then hides under the table to avoid onslaught of rotten vegies and eggs**
Hahahaha.... No, it'll never happen. Just more lame stealables, nothing that pertains to me.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They can;t even make cabinet doors right. Nor program grass tiles not to be destroyed. Lot's of items still don't sit on tiles correctly. And you think they can take UO mobile? Maybe so, but it will be a disaster LOL

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
They can;t even make cabinet doors right. Nor program grass tiles not to be destroyed. Lot's of items still don't sit on tiles correctly. And you think they can take UO mobile? Maybe so, but it will be a disaster LOL
Sounds crazy but one does exist.
main page I saw, had a copyright by EA.
And that you must have a subscription to Ultima Online Classic Client.
but the wiki said it was for free shards.

=============

looks like it was created for free shards.
if free shards can create Mobile UO, why can't Broadsword?

do an internet search for : mobileuo

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Ask Mesanna why.

Free shards can create a shard from any era of UO. Why can't Broadsword?
Free shards can have awesome custom UIs, but that is evidently beyond Broadsword's abilities.

Lot's of stuff on freeshards UO doesn't have.
I've seen some pictures of their outfits.
People have asked for some of them at meet & greets.
I believe she said something about not owning the rights to the artwork (or something like that)

But I also know people have asked for UO to be mobile.
And if you googled it, you would see this was out on April 8th
might be a coincidence.... might not

Digowiz

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Console version of UO. Switch is a good candidate. Many older games run top in there.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This still makes me giggle.
Dev's cannot keep the 500 people that still play UO happy, how do they expect to keep their "biggest audience ever". (from 500 to over 250,000 in one release i gotta see)
I would say if the "mobile" rumour is true, it will be the saddest joke of all time.
UO is so far out of date for "mobile" games these days......unless they monetise the hell out of it ;)

Though you can always count on Messanna to be true to her ways....after stringing you all along all year, it will be a total let down from what people are hoping for :rolleyes:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Hopefully the news it that Garriott has purchased the Rights back and will be taking UO back to all it's glory...

however it is more likely something like 'we are ending one client to focus on just one'

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hopefully the news it that Garriott has purchased the Rights back and will be taking UO back to all it's glory...

however it is more likely something like 'we are ending one client to focus on just one'

There is another possibility, client wise. A about 1.5-2 years ago, I was talking with someone in game that had a game-related title and powers (not one of the main devs or GM, and their position may have been eliminated since), and they let it slip that many of the people at BS use one of the "illegal" clients, and while they can get by with it because it falls under the "testing for bugs and exploits" part of the deal with EA, EA itself was the one that was unwilling at the time to make the client legal for the player community.

It's possible that EA might have finally agreed to let people use that 3rd party client, or at least a BS-modified version of it.

Digowiz

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shroud of the Avatar is not yet a fail. But broader audience must be something ralated with steam or new platform like Apple or Android or console or even stadia... Who knows, hope not something not that new like a new site or a new New thing...

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It's possible that EA might have finally agreed to let people use that 3rd party client, or at least a BS-modified version of it.
That would be good too.

Have you played any of his other games rekeased after uo?

Tabla rasa and such? They all fail.
Yeah.. for most, lightning only strikes once in their life.. for Garriott Ultima seems to be that. Much easier to rebuild and revamp than it is to create from the ground up...

Digowiz

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I prefer Raph Koster comeback... The true "mother" of UO.. No offence OK...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This still makes me giggle.
Dev's cannot keep the 500 people that still play UO happy, how do they expect to keep their "biggest audience ever". (from 500 to over 250,000 in one release i gotta see)
I would say if the "mobile" rumour is true, it will be the saddest joke of all time.
UO is so far out of date for "mobile" games these days......unless they monetise the hell out of it ;)

Though you can always count on Messanna to be true to her ways....after stringing you all along all year, it will be a total let down from what people are hoping for :rolleyes:

Exactly ... After falling for the pet revamp which took YEARS of waiting... Was so excited only to have it totally blow and be nerfed to oblivion ... was good if you like the CuSidhe... but for 99% of the other pets and possibilities, it was a MAJOR disappointment. And ask anyone about the phoenix... LOL... poor thing has never been the same since. Nope... just nope. Tired of getting my hopes up over UO only to have them destroyed.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It will not be something like we now allow the Bad assist Tools. The biggest should be something that they develope with own hands.
New Land, why. No need of New homes except Atlantic.
I assume one game one Client. A better one than ec or cc.
Or a new Plattform. This could be steam, Apple, Linux. But why... Steam Apple Linux will not Add customer.
So the one Client would be the biggest effort.
I bid one goldpeace on it.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Misk says "We have updated the system messages that players will receive when stabling pets. The message will be updated after we push out a new client. "
Maybe he means new client or just the normal patch cycle. But if I think back there was mention of them investing time working on a new client about 4-6 years ago which they put on the back burner. I do not think they would have destroyed the work but kept the files to work on at a latter date. I also remember one of them saying in the past few months they could build a client far better than the ones in current use. So maybe it will be this maybe not but with the new tools saving time maybe work will complete in the future. They have said they have no plans to add new lands or revamp classic dungeons with time saved with new tools. So could be time used to upgrade current state of clients.
Just speculation but a client that offered classic graphics may give them cause to put classic to rest. This could upset script users I am sure. I would love a new modern graphics in EC and more functionality with hopes of better targeting systems etc.
It is just interesting to speculate.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm uneasey about a new client. Remember, these guys thought KR was cool too...What I remember was logging in and I was sitting sideways on my ossies face, who was bigger than a dragon...

Improved client? Hope it's better than the improved treasure hunting experience

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They might have heard minecraft graphics are the best and we will all run around as blockheads....
Yeah I used to enjoy treasure hunting and they fixed that.
I wouldn't mind having EC functionality with classic graphics personally. Whatever they due to either client I am sure there will be those who don't like it. If they did away with both in favor of a new client with classic option many will still be upset. But I am glad they came up with a new dynamic system to keep events coming, which will be the new content model for a long while I think. So endless champ spawns and new quest here we go....