• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Publish 70.04 Available on Test Center 1 Today

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the fact that seeds and resources don't grow here is a logical fact... I mean:
you spend potions/time to grow the plant = you get seeds and resources
you grow the plant free = you get nothing more than the plant
Err...

Logical in what context?

Logical in the "Hey, that bed just cost you $x as part of a micro-mini-small-tiny booster, but it only lets you grow non-resource producing plants" way?

Logical in the "Hey, system X works this way but if you want convenience we'll sell it to you as system Y" way?

Logical in the "I can assure you I am emotionally compromised" way?

Way I see it is more of as another "I before E except after C and in neighbor and weigh and all throughout May you'll be wrong no matter what you say" side system.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the fact that seeds and resources don't grow here is a logical fact... I mean:
you spend potions/time to grow the plant = you get seeds and resources
you grow the plant free = you get nothing more than the plant
It's not free though, You had to pay for it. Little upset myself, But at least those who make a lot of money on Seeds of Renewal can give a sigh of relief. *grin*

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
here is the items pics:

another note on garden bed:
plants grown in here do not produce seeds or resources.
Thanks for the pics Pinco, I couldn't bring myself to log on to TC to test this drek...

Its a damn shame that its all so Fing UGLY. The bench looks oversized, and the training dummy takes up WAY too much space (its what, 6x6?)

The stil looks okay, and is the only piece i have any interest in now that we know the garden beds are completely worthless.

CAL: Put together a real focus group so you and your team can hope to have the slightest clue WTF your p(l)ayers actually want.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Err...

Logical in what context?

Logical in the "Hey, that bed just cost you $x as part of a micro-mini-small-tiny booster, but it only lets you grow non-resource producing plants" way?

Logical in the "Hey, system X works this way but if you want convenience we'll sell it to you as system Y" way?

Way I see it is more of as another "I before E except after C and in neighbor and weigh and all throughout May you'll be wrong no matter what you say" side system.
logical in the way of, since you don't put nearly as much into it(in-game), you don't get nearly as much out of it(in-game).

*shrugs* Makes sense to me...

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Err...

Logical in what context?

you are watching this thing in the wrong way... this packages are for the new tile sets and the magincia bazar, the rest is secondary.

The main mistake is consider the whole expansion in real $ vs game advantages...
Because if you compare real money to a game you always lose money :D

So let's start from the beginning of the logical idea:
1) IF you buy this is because you want the tile set and/or the pet shop.
2) by having the rustic dlc, you earn a garden bed
3) You usually grow some plants for make dyes or just for deco and you.
4) Growing rare colors plants or peculiar deco ones is a waste of resources because the plant give you nothing back and you spend time and potions.

If you don't need tile set or pet shop... well just don't buy the dlc :D
If you don't grow plant, just sell the garden bed to someone else...
If you grow plants only for resources, sell the garden bed to someone else :p

However we are focusing too much on the garden bed and pet shop... but I'd really like to see more info about the distillery :p

For example:
How can I get the yeast?
There is something new about alcool?
How many barrel you're gonna make to mature? :D

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
logical in the way of, since you don't put nearly as much into it(in-game), you don't get nearly as much out of it(in-game).

*shrugs* Makes sense to me...
I'll agree to disagree then. If I'm paying extra for convenience, I expect it to be, you know, completely functional.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the pics Pinco, I couldn't bring myself to log on to TC to test this drek...

Its a damn shame that its all so Fing UGLY. The bench looks oversized, and the training dummy takes up WAY too much space (its what, 6x6?)

The stil looks okay, and is the only piece i have any interest in now that we know the garden beds are completely worthless.

CAL: Put together a real focus group so you and your team can hope to have the slightest clue WTF your p(l)ayers actually want.
well, I really like the advanced training dummy, will be perfect in my barrack :)

The table looks strange, I don't understand it...

I like the bench, is just sad that come on east and south facing and there is not north and west :( but is prettuy normal in uo...

I still think about how can be used the chest... really is not the same going to the bank instead of use this?

The statues, can works in certain deco design...

The topiary are good for the size they have... in order to have a clear idea here is a real llama topiary:

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you are watching this thing in the wrong way... this packages are for the new tile sets and the magincia bazar, the rest is secondary.
Excepting, of course, that it's an entire package. The reason for all of that "secondary" stuff is for the people who could give a rats ass about the "primary" housing tiles. In other words, the "secondary" items that you care less about than the "primary" housing tiles may, in fact, be the "primary" reason that someone else might purchase the pack.

The main mistake is consider the whole expansion in real $ vs game advantages...
Because if you compare real money to a game you always lose money :D
Err...

I'm not comparing real money vs. game advantages... and... uh... your second sentence should be taken out and shot.

What I'm saying is that to implement an additional restrictive system that is a primary reason someone might purchase aforementioned "mini-booster" is a silly way to go. I mean, okay, I'm sure there's still 2 or 3 gardeners out there per shard who don't also have their own alchemist, and so this planter might cost the sales of potions in a minor handful of cases... but most potion vendors aren't selling to plant growers, they're selling to PvPers, and even then, rarely. I mean, if you go check "The Site that Must NOT be Named," you'll see that potions aren't exactly a huge sales point in UO anymore.

That might have something to do with the proliferation of alchemists on people's alts.

So let's start from the beginning of the logical idea:
1) IF you buy this is because you want the tile set and/or the pet shop.
2) by having the rustic dlc, you earn a garden bed
3) You usually grow some plants for make dyes or just for deco and you.
4) Growing rare colors plants or peculiar deco ones is a waste of resources because the plant give you nothing back and you spend time and potions.
You can stop at step one, because your primary assumption is faulty. Everything from there is pointless deliberation from a faulty standpoint. Not everyone would consider buying the "mini-booster" because of the housing tiles and/or the pet shop.

If you don't need tile set or pet shop... well just don't buy the dlc :D
If you don't grow plant, just sell the garden bed to someone else...
If you grow plants only for resources, sell the garden bed to someone else :p
In other words you don't have a real argument, you just wanted to respond because your fingers needed exercise.

Got it.

However we are focusing too much on the garden bed and pet shop... but I'd really like to see more info about the distillery :p
Did it ever occur to you that people might focus on the aspect of the booster that they themselves are interested in? To me, the garden bed might have been a reason to purchase the garden bed as an individual piece if it were useful -- of course, that was before I knew how they'd function and that they were part of this pack. Still, I'm amazed to see how badly they've implemented it.

Others are, indeed, focusing on the housing tiles, and that is why there are also complaints of a lack of new doors and the missing wooden staircase -- which, frankly, is hysterical. But then, since they have staircase railings in the housing system that have been useless for the entirety of the housing system, this is my not so shocked face.

For example:
How can I get the yeast?
There is something new about alcool?
How many barrel you're gonna make to mature? :D
I suspect the system will be a flash in the pan of what it could have been... but at least it's something, I guess.

Charin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
What did your patch do to my dye tubs and gift boxes and such? They are now glow in the dark full neon.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
You know... We can do this in a constructive manner. That, or I can get all mod here. I have been patient...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Bashing the Dev team is not the way to go. Bashing EA... doubt it will help. State your concerns and test the material.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Excepting, of course, that it's an entire package. The reason for all of that "secondary" stuff is for the people who could give a rats ass about the "primary" housing tiles. In other words, the "secondary" items that you care less about than the "primary" housing tiles may, in fact, be the "primary" reason that someone else might purchase the pack.

Err...

I'm not comparing real money vs. game advantages... and... uh... your second sentence should be taken out and shot.

What I'm saying is that to implement an additional restrictive system that is a primary reason someone might purchase aforementioned "mini-booster" is a silly way to go. I mean, okay, I'm sure there's still 2 or 3 gardeners out there per shard who don't also have their own alchemist, and so this planter might cost the sales of potions in a minor handful of cases... but most potion vendors aren't selling to plant growers, they're selling to PvPers, and even then, rarely. I mean, if you go check "The Site that Must NOT be Named," you'll see that potions aren't exactly a huge sales point in UO anymore.

That might have something to do with the proliferation of alchemists on people's alts.

You can stop at step one, because your primary assumption is faulty. Everything from there is pointless deliberation from a faulty standpoint. Not everyone would consider buying the "mini-booster" because of the housing tiles and/or the pet shop.

In other words you don't have a real argument, you just wanted to respond because your fingers needed exercise.

Got it.

Did it ever occur to you that people might focus on the aspect of the booster that they themselves are interested in? To me, the garden bed might have been a reason to purchase the garden bed as an individual piece if it were useful -- of course, that was before I knew how they'd function and that they were part of this pack. Still, I'm amazed to see how badly they've implemented it.

Others are, indeed, focusing on the housing tiles, and that is why there are also complaints of a lack of new doors and the missing wooden staircase -- which, frankly, is hysterical. But then, since they have staircase railings in the housing system that have been useless for the entirety of the housing system, this is my not so shocked face.

I suspect the system will be a flash in the pan of what it could have been... but at least it's something, I guess.
well, usually I'm very bad by try to expain something... and many times when I try to explain I say the exact opposite thing... However Viquire says in 1 row what I failed to explain :D

Metalstorm

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
here is the items pics:

another note on garden bed:
plants grown in here do not produce seeds or resources.
I was expecting this and in all honesty it's fair.
Those who can put in the time & effort should be the only ones to reap the fruit of such virtual labor.

I'm still liking it though because currently I can't log on often enough to grow a simple deco plant so this is still a useful tool for the sporadic UO player :)

P

PCByproduct

You know... We can do this in a constructive manner. That, or I can get all mod here. I have been patient...
Two previous moderators in this thread set the tone...I just danced to the beat!

Hi, Kelmo! :danceb:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My review of posts in this thread has been limited; so apologies if I repeat what others have said.

But based on what I have read there appears to be a lot of vitriol I am not quite sure is warranted.

I see nothing in these packs that is essential. (Granted, also nothing that'll make me consider buying them so far.) So off-hand it looks like this is kind of another micro-transaction just on a grander scale; like several micro-transactions at once.

So is all the vitriol really warranted, my friends? We don't really need any of this; it's like buying an item from the UO store, or so it seems to me.

Is there something I've missed? Could be, I reckon.

Having said that....I also urge the team, and the greedy folks at EA corporate to whom they answer (you know, the ones who don't understand the MMO business model, like at all), to ask yourselves this question....

How much money will you really make from this? And is it worth the aggravation and potential alienation of some folks in order to get that money?

Just about anything that keeps the game afloat, I reckon; I'm too sucky a gamer to learn a new MMO, and too spoiled by the lack of pressure to be the "big hero" to play single-player games regularly again.

-Galen's player

EDIT: Also, people have wanted to brew liquors in this game for years. Where are they? Have they all stopped posting?

O

olduofan

An orc has the yeast.

where do we get the dates and melons?

also how long does it take to mature the liquor?

has anyone seen the remarks you make after getting drunk?
so far i have got "im not wasted" and "hey everyone listen to my song! then it says (your name)starts to sing tokuno dungeon/ viod and then valoria ships, also I have got this one You are going to be sick and you OPPS and through up a slimy corpse and its loot able but was empty.

I wounder if there is some sorta Easter egg in the barf ha kinda like the reds fish from the green papers off fan dancers

ill see what else i get later

edit

haha i just yelled "Im free" and It said you begain to take your clothing off! I looked in my backpack and yup I had takin off my shirt, pants and sash so far lol

and wont stop singing

Reffi0105

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
where do we get the dates and melons?

also how long does it take to mature the liquor?

has anyone seen the remarks you make after getting drunk?
so far i have got "im not wasted" and "hey everyone listen to my song! then it says (your name)starts to sing tokuno dungeon/ viod and then valoria ships, also I have got this one You are going to be sick and you OPPS and through up a slimy corpse and its loot able but was empty.

I wounder if there is some sorta Easter egg in the barf ha kinda like the reds fish from the green papers off fan dancers

ill see what else i get later
I took it in an orc valley.

W

Woodsman

I personally will NOT be buying either of these packs and may not buy any more packs in the future. The only way to Get Mythic to listen all of us is to hurt them where it is most important to them and that is in the pocket book. If they stop making money off all these things then maybe they will re-think this policy of charging for everything.
If they stop making money, they won't have any revelations or brain storming, they'll simply close it down. That is not a jab at EA, that is the way they have always been. They hold no sentimental views of UO or any other IP that they've ignored or put on the back burner. When games/studios lose money, they lay people off and close those games/studios.
OK when i said F2P it was sarcasime...but it seems the way EA is going with this micro crap..
They have no need to - as JC said, it's the best of both worlds, subscriptions + micro-transactions.

But like Storm said, it's never truly "free" to play, because if you want to do the real content, you will be paying, whether it's a couple of bucks for each area every month or $10 a month like we currently pay.

Personally, I'm waiting to see the graphics and EC upgrades before I pass judgment on where EA is going with UO. These are two small content packs and in no way indicative of where EA is going with UO. Somebody else said these were probably wrapping up loose ends while they prep for the graphics and EC stuff, and it was predicted that these would be so small that they'd be finished and up for sale this month.

W

Woodsman

They aren't?

Do you have, you know, solid proof for your claim?
These booster packs aren't going to determine if new players or old players return to UO and they pale in comparison to the amount of dev work that will have to go into the EC, new graphics, and new player stuff.

If EA puts a lot of effort into the EC, graphics, and new player stuff, then we'll have a better idea about the direction of UO. Still not seeing new hires or reports of EA contracting out to some company so I have my doubts.

O

olduofan

you also pass out drunk and a blue haze floats around your head while you zzzzzzZZzzZzzz

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm sorry if my postings have been less then positive criticism to the dev team but it really annoys me to see this is the direction that the limited resources are used.

I have spent a little more then 2K on this game, like many others, and I have a vested interest in seeing it continue on but if this is what our money is spent on I fail to see the true benefit to the majority. I'd pay $30 happily for a revamped set of legacy dungeons way before I pay $1 for this dribble which, IMO, amounts to little more than pixel crack.

Sorry but I believe that this is again a clear indication of the team failing to listen to the player base. I fail to see how EA is truly pushing this mandate but I believe this is simply a grab at a year end bonus from Cal and his crew....(increasing revenue like a "booster" gets passed around and it happened last year just like it appears to be happening now). Just look at all the extra pay for stuff that has come around the last few years and lets do some simple math: 18K SA upgrades at $25=$500K, 18K HS upgrades at $14=$250K, forge tools, ship paint, all the new tokens...this is a mandate from the (newer)team to increase revenue for bonus's not straight from EA(IMO).

C

canary

These booster packs aren't going to determine if new players or old players return to UO and they pale in comparison to the amount of dev work that will have to go into the EC, new graphics, and new player stuff.
Oh wait... all the stuff they mentioned but have yet to show us. And we are halfway almost through the year.

Sorry, but I'll believe they have a bigger plan when I see it. UO's team is pretty much little on follow through, big on disappointment.

Either way, your original statement is inaccurate.

W

Woodsman

Oh wait... all the stuff they mentioned but have yet to show us. And we are halfway almost through the year.
I'm disappointed as well, but it's only been a few months since they announced it, and they were right in the middle of other stuff when they announced it.

Nobody here seriously expected them to announce a graphics update, EC update, and new player update, and then have them available almost immediately, and if the devs made a comment that those things would be available by May, then point me to the link and I'll take your side.

They aren't Apple that announces some new product or upgrade and then mention that "oh by the way, you can buy them in Apple stores right now." I cannot recall a time when a major upgrade was announced and then made immediately available, but I missed out on Stygian Abyss and High Seas so maybe they were announced and then made immediately available. I vaguely remember the Third Dawn beta client coming out fairly quickly after being announced, but everything else had a huge build-up of time.
Either way, your original statement is inaccurate.
Graphics updates, client updates, and new player updates are more important to bringing in old or new players than the little bit of pixel crack that is coming in these two boosters. Those are going to determine UO's future more than a little pixel crack in a booster pack.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm disappointed as well, but it's only been a few months since they announced it, and they were right in the middle of other stuff when they announced it.

Nobody here seriously expected them to announce a graphics update, EC update, and new player update...
Dude the only commitment is
1. EC update = graphics update = ONLY redoing the terrain tiles.
2. Copy and Paste New Haven to somewhere else and add some quests for newbies.
That is all it is.

and if this is the art that you have to pay extra for, I can imagine how good the new terrain art which is "free" will be.

Stick a Fork in It. It's Done.

W

Woodsman

Did you not read what the devs said? The terrain is the first round of graphics updates.

If you have some knowledge that they have changed their minds and are going to make the terrain the only update, then share it with us.

Stick a Fork in It. It's Done.
You've been saying this for a long time now, but you are still here and playing.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you not read what the devs said? The terrain is the first round of graphics updates.

If you have some knowledge that they have changed their minds and are going to make the terrain the only update, then share it with us.
All they have committed to do for the EC is the terrain update. That is it. After that they will review how it went and make a decision on other updates. I'm guessing the review will be like the 3rd party detection review and the Classic Shard review, where it took them 6 and 9 months to decide to do nothing. LMAO.

Did they say? 'We commit to the terrain update, then we will do a housing items update, then we will do a pets update, then make it 3D, etc. all in this year'. NO. All they said they will do a terrain update, and review how it went. There may or may not be other EC graphics updates, depending on the review. That is all.

So at this point in time, The "great" EC update = ONLY redoing the terrain tiles. That is all they have told us they will do to update the EC. The end.

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
where do you get the metal potion keg? i can only find a plain one

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If this is what qualifies as "boosters" then I say you are near insane. The last one, HS, brought next to nothing in the way of long term content. Hardly anyone does the pirate hunting, corgul was farmed for a month and put away dirty, fishing had no real reward for reaching 120 save for some harder fish to catch and items that have flooded the market and lost any value. The other boss hardly spawns and is near impossible to kill on a smaller shard.

If these new add on's cost anything more then free I hardly see the value for any of it....sorry.
Yeah if this is honestly a booster, then the last two boosters aren't even close to the content of a proper expansion. Not even half.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah if this is honestly a booster, then the last two boosters aren't even close to the content of a proper expansion. Not even half.
you can consider this a dlc... extra things for a little amount of $$$ :)
simply is like the legacy token ( the soulstone is useful but you can live without), or the 11th year items and many other things that are there by long time...

bioras

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wheat wort? I see it in the cooking menu. It also says cooking req..0. And at 100 I have 0.0% chance of success.

Pooper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Honestly, I think the pet vendor idea is awesome. This will take away from scam artists, but I love how you don't need animal lore to view the animal's lore stats. You can click view animal to see what color it is, so no more trade windows for a horse above luna bank. I'm game! But I don't like the idea of purchasing a stall for a week. But after the new hype ends, it won't be hard to purchase an open stall for only 1k. That's how it always goes, everyone wants it at first and will pay the price to be first, then nobody wants it. So I'll just wait until nobody wants it to sell my white cu's :) I'm also liking the idea of no potions for plants. I always forget to take care of my plants, but love the resources from plants. I'm not a big fan of buying crap I can get for free. I don't sell potions, but I know they're big for pvping. And pvping has been a huge portion of the game on any shard I play on, so not really sure how much the sales really will go down. Besides, most potion vendors in fel charge more because they know the reds use them. I own castles and keeps and don't put effort into decoing. I'm more of the dump it here and organize later kind of girl. Then once a year I actually go thru and organize. So all that useless deco stuff doesn't really appeal to me. I am definately stoked about the animal vendor.

F

FishinFool

But after the new hype ends, it won't be hard to purchase an open stall for only 1k. That's how it always goes, everyone wants it at first and will pay the price to be first, then nobody wants it.
The starting, minimum bids were 1 million.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
i only bid 1 mill so i could get some screen shots and some testing in no way they will stay at 1 mill per week

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm also liking the idea of no potions for plants. I always forget to take care of my plants, but love the resources from plants.
The devs have not confirmed this yet, but the plant gumps for seeds planted in the raised garden beds on TC1 seem to indicate that you will not be able to harvest seeds or other resources from the plants grown in the beds. About all they will be good for, apparently, is to turn them into deco plants and, hopefully, also be able to use clippers on them to turn them into fodder for crafted baskets and dyes.

Since the command to grow plants doesn't seem to have been enabled for this version of Test Center and it also doesn't seem to be having server maintenance periods that would force plant growth (a common situation with all the TC shards I've ever messed around on), trying to test for additional issues with growing plants in the raised beds is pretty much at a stand still.

Hopefully the designers/developers/internal QA people have put the beds through the wringer on a test center that actually has maintenance periods or some kind of updates that force plant growth. I don't think people will take kindly to having to pay cash to QA test these on Origin and find out they're buggy.

bioras

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I anyone know how to get wheat wort?
Also I have a few extra stills, if anyone is wanting to try them.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Extra info from ultimaonline.jp:

Rustic: –ڔ‚̃nƒEƒWƒ“ƒOƒp[ƒc (ƒJƒ“ƒgƒŠ[ƒ‰ƒCƒt)
Gothic: ƒSƒVƒbƒN‚̃nƒEƒWƒ“ƒOƒp[ƒc (‘‘Œµ‚̃SƒVƒbƒN)

Chest of sending: 50 charges, recharged every server daily manteinance
Garden bed: if you have fertile dirt in your backpack while planting a seed will be prompted to used it or not. About the garden bed there is also this interesting thing (badly translated from japanese):
Harvesting of plants and
While raised in the garden, even after the number of days the plant will wither, so you can be planted in a flower bed just as home decorations. If fully grown plants, plants can be grown as normal.

When was the type of plant species and resources to produce, harvest and resources can also seed cultivation as usual. However, because there are a limited number of plant species and resources can produce a lifetime, keep picking seeds and resources are not forever.
Distillery:
Yeast comes from orcs and comes with different batteria resist: ++ is better than - and this will change your success chance.
Double Distillation: double the alcoholic effect
Certain kind of liquors requires to mature: when into the barrel you can double click it to check the mature status.
Alcoholic effect on character vary by strength
By using a bottle you can target yourself to drink it or target another player to offer a drink. You can refuse it by giving it back.