• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Publish 70.04 Available on Test Center 1 Today

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personally will NOT be buying either of these packs and may not buy any more packs in the future. The only way to Get Mythic to listen all of us is to hurt them where it is most important to them and that is in the pocket book. If they stop making money off all these things then maybe they will re-think this policy of charging for everything.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
OMFG......

OK first off... Grimm wouldn't know good art if it poked him in the eye..

Secondly... destroying EC Hueing Oh JOY what next? Is this the awesome art upgrade??????

Maybe I should be happy I can't even patch the (*&)(*&()&*(*&)& client..... and play the (&*)(*&)(*&()& game.....

*screams*

G

Gunga_Din

WOW !! I just read the Stall Leasing thingy on TC......WOW !! Might be the worst thing i've EVER seen added to UO. How about you just put back NPC buildings. I'd rather have an NPC mage shop or something.

Guess i'll have to wait for further notes, but this looks like a horrible idea.

E

Eyes of Origin

More details will be published about the Broker thing... I think everyone should wait to yell and scream because we dont even know all the details yet and what may or may not change.

C

canary

Sign me up as another customer who agrees 'GrimmOmen Can't Draw'.

I'll also agree with PAS... do NOT buy these. Send them a clear message this way of business will not be accepted.

This isn't a F2P game, this is a game with an already monthly fee on it. You can't have it both ways... well you CAN, I guess, but you risk alienating your loyal customers.

Where is the EC updates? Where are the higher resolution art upgrades? Why are we not seeing these and attention being focused on 'mini boosters' that clearly taking away from development on the game (which was promised it wouldn't)?

Vampyre Kitty

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personally will NOT be buying either of these packs and may not buy any more packs in the future. The only way to Get Mythic to listen all of us is to hurt them where it is most important to them and that is in the pocket book. If they stop making money off all these things then maybe they will re-think this policy of charging for everything.

Totally agree with you... if we all boycott the extra crap they are charging for maybe they will get a clue and fix real issues instead of hiding it with pixel crap.

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK when i said F2P it was sarcasime...but it seems the way EA is going with this micro crap..

And yes the gold sellers are laughing there asses off big time..
**** there in game now saying 50 cents per mill..

And nice going on turning Magincia into a dam strip mall guys...so much for Humility....

Some of the things are nice... planters and still look cool.....ill give you that much for now.

V

videogamejunkie

Just came back from a 7 year break after playing for 5 years....looks like I won't be sticking around if this is how business is done nowadays.

C

catship

i started right after T2A came out, me thinks its time to leave this game
it just goes down hill more and more

E

Eyes of Origin

Please let me know if this is trolling or not... but.......

We all love UO for one reason or another, otherwise we wouldnt be here.
Yes it has issues, yes they need to be fixed, but cant any of you be glad that its actually still here??

All of us have the option to buy the boosters or not. To be honest, I would rather get 2 boosters a year and spend 20-30$ on them, then nothing at all.
Our last Xpac was in 2009.. which most of us spent 40$ on anyway. So to me 15$ here and there for a booster isnt a bad thing. It keeps new things coming in and lets us enjoy everything else.

The bugs get worked on as the teams goes. They also have to do something to keep the boys upstairs happy as well. If the boys upstairs arent happy, then we can kiss it goodbye, boosters and all.

In an ideal world the Dev's would have all the time to fix the bugs, but as it stands, I dont think they really do have the time. We have no idea what their work day is like. We dont even know if UO is the only thing they are working on anymore. I'm not making excuses, but I guess I have more patience then most.

Either way, I'll prolly be buying both boosters, if indeed they are sold seperately, at least for my main account anyhow. $45 on 3 boosters in 2 years isnt completely horrible after all.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Please let me know if this is trolling or not... but.......

We all love UO for one reason or another, otherwise we wouldnt be here.
Yes it has issues, yes they need to be fixed, but cant any of you be glad that its actually still here??

All of us have the option to buy the boosters or not. To be honest, I would rather get 2 boosters a year and spend 20-30$ on them, then nothing at all.
Our last Xpac was in 2009.. which most of us spent 40$ on anyway. So to me 15$ here and there for a booster isnt a bad thing. It keeps new things coming in and lets us enjoy everything else.

The bugs get worked on as the teams goes. They also have to do something to keep the boys upstairs happy as well. If the boys upstairs arent happy, then we can kiss it goodbye, boosters and all.

In an ideal world the Dev's would have all the time to fix the bugs, but as it stands, I dont think they really do have the time. We have no idea what their work day is like. We dont even know if UO is the only thing they are working on anymore. I'm not making excuses, but I guess I have more patience then most.

Either way, I'll prolly be buying both boosters, if indeed they are sold seperately, at least for my main account anyhow. $45 on 3 boosters in 2 years isnt completely horrible after all.
If this is what qualifies as "boosters" then I say you are near insane. The last one, HS, brought next to nothing in the way of long term content. Hardly anyone does the pirate hunting, corgul was farmed for a month and put away dirty, fishing had no real reward for reaching 120 save for some harder fish to catch and items that have flooded the market and lost any value. The other boss hardly spawns and is near impossible to kill on a smaller shard.

If these new add on's cost anything more then free I hardly see the value for any of it....sorry.

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You do take into account you have to pay for internet also.
So your 14.99 a month has gone up to 15 + 45$ even more some countrys..and thats a month not year..

The strip mall they call Magincia will suit only the people who sell gold....
And if EA ever pulls the plug on UO, i think it may be only game that makes them money for nothing.

Not sure how many other games people buy from EA now..

But there are a few good things in the packages , but i think they should be one not 2.
And to s0me people that extra 45$ is alot when you live on a budget..

E

Eyes of Origin

Well, to be honest with you, I'm still working thru HS. I took a break for over a year and missed the rush, I guess.
I play on a small shard, but we dont have issues getting Scalis up or issues killing him. And I havent even seen the other boss yet.

I havent had but one issue with HS and that was when the boats werent being seen by the fish mongers. The broken rune issue didnt effect me.

Other than that, I dont have much to complain about with HS.

These are mini boosters, not a really a full booster as I guess HS was. In the end I'll prolly buy the booster(s) for my main account and wait for them to go on sale with EA to upgrade the others.

Considering how small each booster is, I would imagine not paying more than $10 per, but then again $15 maybe.

/shrug... small price to pay for a game I love to play.

Fat Midnight

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I bet this is the only thing the dev team could get approved by there superiors. They are just pushing this forward, hoping to keep there jobs for another month.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, to be honest with you, I'm still working thru HS. I took a break for over a year and missed the rush, I guess.
I play on a small shard, but we dont have issues getting Scalis up or issues killing him. And I havent even seen the other boss yet.

I havent had but one issue with HS and that was when the boats werent being seen by the fish mongers. The broken rune issue didnt effect me.

These are mini boosters, not a really a full booster as I guess HS was. In the end I'll prolly buy the booster(s) for my main account and wait for them to go on sale with EA to upgrade the others.

Considering how small each booster is, I would imagine not paying more than $10 per, but then again $15 maybe.

You sound like someone who is just mentally sighing in resignation and accepting thier fate.

Unless the customer base sounds off and doesn't accept shoddy products and service as being acceptable from a business, nothing will change, other than the products and service that business offers getting shoddier and shoddier.

We keep on sounding off, someone up the food chain at EA might send the Dev team some advisery messages that ticking off and motivating customers to leave in disgust isn't good for their job security.

Fat Midnight

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You sound like someone who is just mentally sighing in resignation and accepting thier fate.

Unless the customer base sounds off and doesn't accept shoddy products and service as being acceptable from a business, nothing will change, other than the products and service that business offers getting shoddier and shoddier.

We keep on sounding off, someone up the food chain at EA might send the Dev team some advisery messages that ticking off and motivating customers to leave in disgust isn't good for their job security.
I would bet my next pay check that most of the problem lies with the people "higher up the food chain".

E

ECO Director

I just can't believe that anyone will be "silly" enough to buy theses items.

We need a boycote to let them know what we think.

E

Eyes of Origin

Call it, I dont think this is entirely the Dev's fault.
The whole time I've been playing, I've read countless complaints here about the artwork and such...
I believe the majority of the problem lies with ppl above the Dev's and probably above their bosses' heads even.
I'm just not into blaming everything on the Dev's.

And I would rather support what they are able to do, then go against them.

Boycott if you must, but do you really honestly think EA exec's are going to change the way things are? The UO population isnt big enough at this point and time for them to make the changes. Even if every single subscriber boycotted, EA would prolly laugh and shut the doors.

*edit* Ok, maybe if every single person who plays or who still pays for accounts signed a petition or something and refused to buy anything, maybe just maybe we would get EA to notice UO and do something. But, I'm a realist, I just can't see them doing it, sadly enough.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
By the way, for those wondering why it's called an encampment system....

These are temporary vendors. They come and go.

Traveling merchants who set up stalls at their stops (as well as traveling armies - which is probably where the terminology originated before conversion to civilian uses) are said to "encamp" when they set up for business, and "decamp" when they pack up and move away.

In other words, it's a fairly correct term for it, just so archaic that most modern people wouldn't understand the context of the word if it ran them over with a tinker's cart.

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Showinr your age Basara..hehe...yes i understand what it meens ..but nice way to explain it..thank you..

And to Eye On Origin...I have nothing against the DEV,s there just there poor pawn stuck in the middle as always..

And realy how many games does EA have that rake in cash as cheaply as UO?
UO is and will always be a one of a kind. there will be nothing to compare it with.

Its just to bad the ediots up higher dont let the DEV,s do there job and noze out..

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Will they still be only on a week to week basis ?

I hope they will be available for longer because otherwise, they might be more trouble than advantages to my opinion.

I mean, it brings me nightmare the idea to have to deal with the vendor's inventory every week if I happen not to win again the bid after the week I had it......

Put up items, take down items, put them up again, put them down again, then up again.....

No thanks. If there are chances that I would need to do this after a few days no thanks, not for me.

Besides, what does a week mean ? A week (7 days) of one's own gameplay ?

I mean, there are players who can only play during the weekend. So, a week really means being able to play UO a few hours over a saturday or a sunday or both.

So, on paper it might be that 7 days are a few days to have that vendor up but in reality, in several cases a player could enjoy it only for much less than that.

Not to mention that with less players than in the past in UO, nowadays, sales are slower than they used to be. Having a vendor up for a week might still not be enough to see one's own wares sold. Not enough, at least, to make the costs for running that vendor worth it.

I hope that by the time of release the time will be increased and that only 1 such vendor per account will be possible to avoid having some players getting a bunch of them and other players none. Also, I hope that only accounts that have not had vendors in prime vending locations (Luna, Tokuno and Magincia) for sometime (few months ?) will be eligible or, at least, get priority to get these new temporary vendors.
And, whether they will be limited to 1 vendor per account or not, I also hope that they will be able to allow for more than 125 items on them.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
here is the items pics:

another note on garden bed:
plants grown in here do not produce seeds or resources.

C

Capn Kranky

Then don't put it out there until you CAN communicate more details - especially about the intent! That's just common damn sense.

Once more this appears to be a true FAIL on that part of Mythic or whatever they are called this week.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No seeds or resources? So the only slight reason to get one is gone....nice.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's a screen shot of an animal broker on TC1, stall J-1. You can use the Lore button to get a regular animal lore gump and you can make the animal show up in the penned area.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
here is the items pics:

another note on garden bed:
plants grown in here do not produce seeds or resources.
Picus, do you know how many garden beds you can simultaneously claim on one account? I saw a house on TC1 that has two on the roof. Not sure if the house owner was able to do that with just one account or maybe had another account that was able to claim the second one. And can only characters on the account that owns the house place the beds, or can co-owner characters also place them? I managed to find a space to plunk down a house but don't know if I'll get a chance to experiment with things today.

Thanks.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Picus, do you know how many garden beds you can simultaneously claim on one account? I saw a house on TC1 that has two on the roof. Not sure if the house owner was able to do that with just one account or maybe had another account that was able to claim the second one. And can only characters on the account that owns the house place the beds, or can co-owner characters also place them? I managed to find a space to plunk down a house but don't know if I'll get a chance to experiment with things today.

Thanks.
No sorry I do not. Sadly I'm more of a troll who has little intrest in the gardening aspect of UO, though IRL I find some pleasure in attempting it.

I was slightly more shocked that you cannot recieve resources from these plots though as someone else said you can grow other "rare" stuff so I guess thats a plus to some. If these are sold via ingame vendor I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use your current floor space since it appears to be a account entitlement issue, though I don't know.

Can anyone else shed some light?

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No sorry I do not. Sadly I'm more of a troll who has little intrest in the gardening aspect of UO, though IRL I find some pleasure in attempting it.

I was slightly more shocked that you cannot recieve resources from these plots though as someone else said you can grow other "rare" stuff so I guess thats a plus to some. If these are sold via ingame vendor I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use your current floor space since it appears to be a account entitlement issue, though I don't know.

Can anyone else shed some light?
the fact that seeds and resources don't grow here is a logical fact... I mean:
you spend potions/time to grow the plant = you get seeds and resources
you grow the plant free = you get nothing more than the plant

D

Deb

Hmmm. I did check on test for the open stairs in the Rustic theme
pack...did not see them. This was the main reason I wanted that pack
as the stairs were awesome.
Have we heard will they be added?

N

nynyve

Does anyone else think that these planters are ugly?
That it is obnoxious to charge us for the planters when the plants in them don't produce seeds or resources.

BTW is there a good reason that peculiar seeds don't produce seeds? Or are the shards in danger of being smothered by peculiar snowdrops or cat tails?

O

olduofan

Does anyone else think that these planters are ugly?
That it is obnoxious to charge us for the planters when the plants in them don't produce seeds or resources.

BTW is there a good reason that peculiar seeds don't produce seeds? Or are the shards in danger of being smothered by peculiar snowdrops or cat tails?

I feel the planters are ugly and bulky, we need more options for them.

and as far as the seeds go I feel they should only drop like the doom artys use to and you have to kill the dark father at least 50 times to have a very very small chance at getting 1 seed :p

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It appears that only owners and co-owners can place the raised garden beds. The spawners in New Haven for the chests of sending and the raised garden beds appear to only provide one each of the items per character, so it's impossible to determine how many you'll get per account if you purchase an expansion pack. I suspect it will be one per account and if you play on multiple shards you'll have to pick which shard you want to get your tokens on and that's where the items will stay unless you transfer them to another shard with the character transfer service.

As mentioned before, you can place more than one bed in the house at the same time. Here's a composite picture showing what the placement gump looks like and all four sizes and directions of the beds.

It appears you can have more than one chest of sending locked down in your house at one time. Each can have its own security sendings, which include all the normal access settings. When you click on the chest as if to open it, you get a targeting cursor asking which item you want to send to the bank. Since all my characters on TC1 have overflowing bank boxes at the moment, the only result I've seen so far with trying to send anything is a failure message telling me my character's bank box is full.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want my boat back before I buy any of your trash. (It should not have to be at my effort).

Nice one team:coco:

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmm. I did check on test for the open stairs in the Rustic theme
pack...did not see them. This was the main reason I wanted that pack
as the stairs were awesome.
Have we heard will they be added?

Deb, don't hold your breath :( look at how many things have been asked for, and not received, on past tile sets

Vivacia

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What a few of us do that have multi accounts is close one count for a month and pay for it then activate the account the next month .. so no extra cost . just saying what i do
I dont mind buying also, its way cheaper than an addiction of shoes and purses! Great Idea also, as long as the account is reactivated within 3 months, your safe...Correct?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A couple more things I learned or confirmed on TC1 experimenting with the raised garden beds:

- Confirmed: You cannot customize a house that contains a raised garden bed.

- Seeds planted in these beds apparently will not produce seeds or resources. The indicators for both aspects of a plant are X'd out for plants in a raised garden bed, whereas plants in bowls on other shards will show a fraction (e.g., 2/8) for such aspects if the plant is going to produce seeds or resources. I assume the plants in these beds will also not produce pollen that can be used for cross-pollinating plants.

- Confirmed: You have to remove seeds / plants from a raised garden bed to axe the bed if, for example, you need to customize your house or the bed is not in a good location. According to the Codex of Wisdom information you can access via the plant gump, removing a plant that is still in the seed or sapling stage will return the seed to your backpack. (Confirmed this works with removing a freshly planted seed from a raised garden bed; don't have saplings yet to confirm this works with plants in that stage as well.) Also according to the Codex of Wisdom, if the plant has grown beyond the sapling stage, removing it from the bed will apparenty destroy it completely. I think this means that through day 6, you can get the seed back if necessary. However, on day 7 the plant will be matured and you'd probably be setting it to deco stage at that point anyway if you wanted to remove it.

- If you press Control-Shift while a raised garden bed is deployed in the house, you'll see an object for each square of the bed. So putting these in your house definitely adds to the visual clutter if you ever have to use Control-Shift to find some thing in your house!

(This is what the resources gump looks like on another shard.)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

I dont mind buying also, its way cheaper than an addiction of shoes and purses! Great Idea also, as long as the account is reactivated within 3 months, your safe...Correct?
thats correct but I would not go the full 90 days because if you have a house on the account and it gets to a certain point even reactivating your account wont save it and i cant remember exactly when that is so to be safe I go no more than 60

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Goodie Goodie Goodie

When is the random adventure and exploration packet coming out. Or maybe I should just redecorate, brew, and grow a flower. FUN FUN FUN.

ARGH.
EXACTLY! The Dev team seems to think 'new content' is new items to hoard. But of course that is all we have left in the game.

I've picked up Torchlight lately. Its single player but made buy some of the devs from Diablo. Pretty fun actually and only $15.

Torchlight - Runic Games

Two hours free to play before you have to buy it. Only 400mb download which is better than some UO patches. Graphics 10x better.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nothing in here that I need so it will save me some money. This wil be the first time I will not upgrade my accounts in 13 years.

P

PCByproduct

If this is what qualifies as "boosters" then I say you are near insane. The last one, HS, brought next to nothing in the way of long term content. Hardly anyone does the pirate hunting, corgul was farmed for a month and put away dirty, fishing had no real reward for reaching 120 save for some harder fish to catch and items that have flooded the market and lost any value. The other boss hardly spawns and is near impossible to kill on a smaller shard.

If these new add on's cost anything more then free I hardly see the value for any of it....sorry.
Just take a look at the dev team they hired in the last 5 years... That should give you a clue as to how the game was going to go... I mean...a Forum Community Manager on Stratics is now in control of the games fate? LOL! This is where I slap a bumper sticker on the back of my ethereal (if they still exist in UO) that say's, "I voted for the other dev team!".

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would bet my next pay check that most of the problem lies with the people "higher up the food chain".
I used to think that was the case.

And it probably is when it comes to rushed release dates.

But the decisions being made now about the game are coming from somewhere within the DevTeam. Either someone isn't standing up to the "food chain" in a manner that would provide a productive future for the game, or someone is grasping desperately at straws to keep the game afloat.

Either way, UO's present problems are from within the DevTeam and immediate Mythic management, not somewhere outside of Virginia.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Traveling merchants who set up stalls at their stops (as well as traveling armies - which is probably where the terminology originated before conversion to civilian uses) are said to "encamp" when they set up for business, and "decamp" when they pack up and move away.

In other words, it's a fairly correct term for it, just so archaic that most modern people wouldn't understand the context of the word if it ran them over with a tinker's cart.
I'd be curious to see which etymology shows the use of encampment in the manner you're describing it. I'm certainly aware of its use as applies to troops.

Considering that we're talking about a system of "hired vendors," not a system of "roving salesmen," even your definition, questionable as it is, doesn't apply.

But then, asking for names that make sense probably would imply that I wanted systems that make sense too, and since we're clearly off the deep end on that one, I suppose they could call it the "Bob System," spell it "QXZZV," and it wouldn't make a difference to the method in which they're implementing it.