• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Jeremy Bids Farewell

Kahlan_FHP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im sure it's already been said but I think this was more of a "Abandon ship!" before it sinks and leaves many unemployed.

H

Harb

I'm not going to speculate on what happened (whether the decision was her's or Mythic's, or the reasons why).

What I will say is that she was about as vocal as she could be given the circumstances.

...So on that end, I can seriously empathize with the job Jeremy had to do. Couple that with dealing with certain attitudes and it's quite a testament to her self control.

Now I do have some issues with Jeremy that annoyed me for one reason or another, but that is of no consequence right now.

So I wish Jeremy well in her future endeavors... and commiserate in the "I want to say something but can't" aspect of the job.
Wanted to "second" this post. Good luck to you Jeremy, in hindsight my guess is that your time with us and EA will serve you well in the future.

At this point, the larger issue is how Cal and the team adjusts to this and possibly other team losses, and even more so how they respond to revenue requirements from their parent organization. Less dialogue reduces accurate "feel" for the latter. Watch this one closely guys, for EA, UO can be a stable flow of revenue if managed correctly.

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What a load of donkey flop.

But hell, we've shared a damn producer with DAoC for such a long time, it only makes sense to share a community rep.

Good luck Jeremy. I hope that you land on your feet. You seem like a cool person, so keep it real.

L

Lord Kynd

kinda figured she was leaving a few months ago when she stopped responding to PM's and post's.
and after reading this the other day ....
"By and large, gaming has proven to be pretty resistant to fluctuations in the economy. Most game makers are expecting to enjoy tidy profits as the sea of holiday titles ring out 2008 with lots of software units sold. But EA, a company that we would expect to be generating massive profits, has apparently been stung by the hard times. The company has reported a more substantial loss in its last quarter, lowered its projections for the remainder of the year, and announced a six percent work force reduction. "....
read more here .... http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081031-ea-tightens-belt-with-reduced-forecasts-layoffs.html
and here ....
http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB122539935362185471-lMyQjAxMDI4MjM1MDMzOTA5Wj.html

(these are news sites )

sad to see her leave, when she started she was good.

MedeaDF

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow... I really hate bad news on a saturday afternoon while having aperitif... :rant2:

I wish you all the best, Jeremy, and once in a while come back and say hello! :beer:

*sniffles*

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm in shock.
She was a good diplomat and our voice. She will be missed.

Best of luck Jeremy.

G

GreyPawn

I've run it through the research grinders, and I'm confident saying that Jeremy was the best Community Managers Ultima Online ever had the pleasure of having. With the length of time served, the vehemence with which she championed even the least of player desires to the dev team, and the general availability and approachability she offered, she has secured her lasting place in the UO Hall of Fame as far as players go.

It is sad to see Jeremy move on. In losing her, UO has lost a powerful voice for change and one of the strongest player advocates we've ever had. It is certain that no matter whatever challenges she moves on to face in the future, she will overcome and impress. I wish Jeremy luck - Sosaria will miss you.

-GP

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why should there always be random speculations?

Anyone who thinks that this is a sign of UO being abandoned or whatever is just looking for things to freak out over. Consider this,
i) EM program is being reinstated
ii) They have been hiring quite a few new developers lately
iii) We have been getting bigger and better patches with more promised
iv) SA is confirmed

So instead of making random speculations based on almost no details, let us just wish Jeremy the best. There could be plethora of reasons behind this move; most of which have nothing to do with "Oh no! sky is falling on UO" scenario.

D

D'Amavir

Why should there always be random speculations?

Anyone who thinks that this is a sign of UO being abandoned or whatever is just looking for things to freak out over. Consider this,
i) EM program is being reinstated
ii) They have been hiring quite a few new developers lately
iii) We have been getting bigger and better patches with more promised
iv) SA is confirmed

So instead of making random speculations based on almost no details, let us just wish Jeremy the best. There could be plethora of reasons behind this move; most of which have nothing to do with "Oh no! sky is falling on UO" scenario.
Isn't speculating that the recently announced layoffs AND the layoff of the community relations person isn't a scary sign for the future of UO still speculating? So, its ok to speculate on stratics as long as the speculation is nothing but a positive outlook on UO's future? Gotcha.

S

Sheridan

:sad4: *sigh* You'll be sorely missed... I'm very glad that I had a chance to meet and talk with you at the San Diego Town Hall a few months ago. I only wish that everyone who has some negative things to say about you and your tenure with Ultima Online could have even a tiny glimpse of the passion and love you have for this game that those of us who have gone to the Town Halls bore witness to. We love you, Jeremy... Best of luck wherever you find yourself.

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My you have fair winds and a following sea in all that you do. The players of Uo salute you for all your efforts to make this game playable. Thank you for your service to the UO community. I hope you play Origin and if I may speak for the rest of the CCC members you will be sorely missed. come vist us.

C

canary

I've run it through the research grinders, and I'm confident saying that Jeremy was the best Community Managers Ultima Online ever had the pleasure of having in my opinion. With the length of time served, the vehemence with which she championed even the least of player desires to the dev team, and the general availability and approachability she offered, it is my personal belief she has secured her lasting place in the UO Hall of Fame as far as players go.

It is sad to see Jeremy move on. In losing her, I think UO has lost a powerful voice for change and one of the strongest player advocates we've ever had. It is certain that no matter whatever challenges she moves on to face in the future, she will overcome and impress. I wish Jeremy luck - Sosaria will miss you.

-GP
A reminder to all that if you are going to post something like this, include the bold text I've added, as well. You are posting opinion as fact, and making blanket statements that all parties do not feel is true.

That said, again, regardess of Jeremy's work ethic, being out of a job is no fun and I sincerely hope that she comes out of this on top.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stratics posters have been posting opinion as fact for longer than I care to remember and you arent going to change that now. And thats a Fact.

C

canary

Stratics posters have been posting opinion as fact for longer than I care to remember and you arent going to change that now. And thats a Fact.
Yeah, but it never hurts to try to break the cycle in any small way you can. :p

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Stratics posters have been posting opinion as fact for longer than I care to remember

Given your constant detratction of the new client, I'm hoping you include yourself in this statement.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Stratics posters have been posting opinion as fact for longer than I care to remember

Given your constant detratction of the new client, I'm hoping you include yourself in this statement.
Absolutely. Were all guilty of it, every single one of us.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because I liked her and her style. I found her to be smart and attentive, and to not have lost the perspective of a casual player.

Think about that...A team member with the perspective of players who don't typically post on Stratics. Think of how valuable that is.

Or, rather, was.

-Galen's player
Yes, I agree. It is rather unfortunate. Hopefully it doesn't mean UO will get canned any time soon.

L

Lia

Wow, this sucks. I'm kind of with the group that it was not a voluntary separation, so:

To Jeremy:
All my best and good wishes. I never doubted your enthusiasm for the game. I always appreciated all the work you put into the game and the community, and will miss you. :sad3:

To the EA Suits:

As is usual with suits: You have no clue what your customers care about or how your bean-counting bottom-lining tanks your relationship with them. Or, you just don't care. Either way, you screwed up with letting this one go. :twak:

S

Sunrise

Just got the news. Jeremy I raise my Goblet to use and say...U will be missed!!!!! Big time in more ways than anyone can count.

Now if ya ever on napa..and see a bear on top of the bank...Ill take you to a local tavern I know...a good place for Ale and fried fish...

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually, I disagree.

Jeremy's job had no impact on the greater UO game. Trust me, the entire dev team reads these boards and is acutely aware of issues and concerns.

Her job, overall, was a cut that impacts the team very little, other than making someone else pull a bit more extra as far as 'filling in' for her and doing her job.

As said before, if they touch the UO dev team... especially since it IS a skeleton crew... then yes, I'm worried.

First - she did have indirect impact on the game. She took my crafting bug list and got it Patrick/Leuro and we worked then directly on getting many of the crafting bugs nailed a few pub ago (dropped rolls, double rolls, ML craftable bugs like the ranger shortbow etc.). So she did impact the game and I'm grateful that she hooked me up with Patrick to get those nagging problems fixed.

That being said this is likely a layoff/reduction in force and not for cause.

I appreciated her effort and her enthusiasm. The outward posts weren't as great as I would have liked but who knows how much of her time was 'behind the scenes' working with players one on one.

I thought the FoF was a good idea but while it started strong - the questions became almost silly and sometimes not even 5.

Anyways, its likely another person cut from a dying game to try to keep the lights on.

Good luck Jeremy wherever your next move takes you. There are other games doing quite well and maybe you will catch on somewhere else quickly.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow, this sucks. I'm kind of with the group that it was not a voluntary separation, so:

To Jeremy:
All my best and good wishes. I never doubted your enthusiasm for the game. I always appreciated all the work you put into the game and the community, and will miss you. :sad3:

To the EA Suits:

As is usual with suits: You have no clue what your customers care about or how your bean-counting bottom-lining tanks your relationship with them. Or, you just don't care. Either way, you screwed up with letting this one go. :twak:
Ok, first - who the hell wears a suit anymore besides the CEO, CIO or sometimes CFO anymore? I'm sure the CEO of EA was not the one responsible for the cuts. Likely this was something in Draconi's hands. When money coming in is smaller than money going out - cut money going out. He probably had one or more heads to cut and she was on the list. There may be others on the dev team we haven't heard about being gone either.

Don't always blame things on 'the suits'. Its like saying its just the 'man' keeping us down. You know who the man is? Capitalism and business.

This was likely a business decision and while harsh it is the way of a company.

W

Warrior of Time

The hardest words to say is good bye. It being to you makes it even harder.

It was nice to see the person behind the posts in OH last year.

Halloween now has a new meaning. It was the time of the year we lost a great person. That a lot of people always asked questions and for help. Been a long time since you started playing ultiama. I started playing when Ultiama 3 came out. Who back then would have guessed that it would become an online game, that would last this long. I hope you find a better spot in life as you move on.

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Likely this was something in Draconi's hands. When money coming in is smaller than money going out - cut money going out. He probably had one or more heads to cut and she was on the list. There may be others on the dev team we haven't heard about being gone either.
I seriously doubt the lead designer makes decisions on who gets cut during a layoff. You're thinking of either Cal or Robert who would be making that call. And since the post was from Robert, it was probably he.

I don't think he's a bad guy for it or anything. Like you said, business is business. But that doesn't mean it doesn't suck!

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Draconi was also seen recently making posts about what Jeremy might be getting up to. Unlikey he turned around and got her fired within a couple of days of that.

I wonder if that list was completed...

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You may well recognise this handsome beast named in Jeremy's honour long, long ago now. :)

In all his glory, I give you:-

"Twinkletoes Fairyfartz"

Jeremy, I bid you good luck and good hunting.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've run it through the research grinders, and I'm confident saying that Jeremy was the best Community Managers Ultima Online ever had the pleasure of having.

I think your grinders need a recalibration. While she may have tried hard , she seemed to show a lack of knowledge of the game mechanics which than quite a few players were comfortable with.

As well, while I don't know all the behind the scenes stuff any more , I do know enough to know that a better community rep would be a person from the ranks of UO dev team or an existing community rather than dumping it on an already employed but otherwise unconnected Mythic employee, as Jeremy was.

_zigzag_

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm going to say this one time...and ONLY once.

Some of you are making this way too personal, and it will not be tolerated.

Your speculations are just that - and as such better have some facts behind them before you go slandering people.

Clean it up.

K

Kensai Tsunami

A lil shocking and troubling the way it has gone down. jeremy put up with alot ...prolly as much from us as from her superiors. i always got the feeling that she was fighting for us. after this last publish i'd say its pretty obvious SOMEONE is listening to us. well anyway, thx for all the hard work jeremy. you have my appreciation and best wishes in whatever you move on to.

Masuri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A reminder to all that if you are going to post something like this, include the bold text I've added, as well. You are posting opinion as fact, and making blanket statements that all parties do not feel is true.
Better yet, readers could - and should - assume that everything they read on a message board is nothing more than opinion unless backed up with a reputable source or heaps of data. One need not constantly stress that subjective and persuasive statements he makes are opinions. It's patently obvious.

Kelline

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ima miss jeremy :( I didnt know her nor really talk with her but I really enjoyed hte FoF, even if it really wasnt much help lately. Hope they keep that up

GL jeremy & safe travels

C

canary

Better yet, readers could - and should - assume that everything they read on a message board is nothing more than opinion unless backed up with a reputable source or heaps of data. One need not constantly stress that subjective and persuasive statements he makes are opinions. It's patently obvious.
Yeah, I know, but I hate when ppl post things that are blanket statements when I myself feel very differently.

G

GreyPawn

While she may have tried hard , she seemed to show a lack of knowledge of the game mechanics which than quite a few players were comfortable with.

As well, while I don't know all the behind the scenes stuff any more , I do know enough to know that a better community rep would be a person from the ranks of UO dev team or an existing community rather than dumping it on an already employed but otherwise unconnected Mythic employee, as Jeremy was.
First off, as some folks have already mentioned, a forum post is generally considered unequivocal opinion. Unless laid out in analytical essay format with sources referenced. I'm not about to write a thesis paper about how Jeremy was a great CM and will be missed. Those anal-retentive enough to desire such a thing should probably be put to sleep for the betterment of society.

Secondly, Jeremy did have an expert level knowledge about the physics and functions of UO. She did have a long history as a player before becoming CM. I have been around for a long, long, LONG time and I've seen a march of developers and CMs in and out the doors of "the team". I wasn't exaggerating or doing lip service when I said that she has been one of the best, most communicative. I've had the distinct pleasure of meeting nearly all the previous UO Community Managers in person - I've watched how they've dealt with information from their players, seen how they resolve community issues. I feel very confident in my assessment, albeit opinion.

I would challenge any contrarian to present evidence that any CM since Calandryll has given more, overall, to this inured colony of sociopaths I consider myself a part of.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA is a revolving door as an employer, UO is a sinking ship.

What a shock, things haven't changed.

A

AesSedai

Take care Jeremy and thanks for all you did to help our UO community.

I'm cooking up a storm and have been hesitant to post until I came up with something better to say; but I fear once a messenger always a messenger & there are still enough disgruntled people out there that will snipe at every chance they get, even when you are saying farewell.

So farewell & hopefully we'll run into each other later on down the road. You're good people Jeremy & I'm sad that Ike got in the way of my trying to entice you into a sushi dinner & sake chat this fall, heh.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A lil shocking and troubling the way it has gone down. jeremy put up with alot ...prolly as much from us as from her superiors. i always got the feeling that she was fighting for us. after this last publish i'd say its pretty obvious SOMEONE is listening to us. well anyway, thx for all the hard work jeremy. you have my appreciation and best wishes in whatever you move on to.
Listening to us... Did we ask for overpowered items to get people into factions and unbalance PvP even more? That's just one example. I mean, I guess they did listen to us about making items stackable, but come on, those should have been stackable to begin with. Other minor things too. But the vast majority of the time, they still aren't really listening to us.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I seriously doubt the lead designer makes decisions on who gets cut during a layoff. You're thinking of either Cal or Robert who would be making that call. And since the post was from Robert, it was probably he.

I don't think he's a bad guy for it or anything. Like you said, business is business. But that doesn't mean it doesn't suck!
You are correct. I was confused to Draconi's role - I seemed to remember him as Producer and not Lead Designer. I agree with your assesment.

Too many changes on the UO staff over the years to keep up.

Supreem

Founder, Citadel Studios
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best of luck to you Jeremy! Guys, I know Joanne pretty well and I'm sure she will do a great job. (She makes really tasty pumpkin cookies too!)

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll miss Jeremy.
She was a kick in the pants irl and I was very glad to have met her at the Seattle Town Hall meeting.
She had turned a problem of mine over to Messana (a blackholed char) but since she was the only one emailing me with updates, I wonder if Joann will take up my cause.

Jeremy, good luck to you in whatever you do and have a caramel appletini for me.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Best of luck to you Jeremy! Guys, I know Joanne pretty well and I'm sure she will do a great job. (She makes really tasty pumpkin cookies too!)
Thank you for the heads up Supreem. My main concern is Joanne's history with UO. If you guys intend to take us to the UO of old I'd like to think the mediator between players and developers has some years under her belt. I guess we'll wait for word from her to find that out.

D

DHMagicMan_1

Might be nice if she posted a little "Here I am, here's a little about me... " someplace... not this thread of course but if she's posted someplace I've missed it.

I'll miss you Jeremy, it seemed like you actually took the time to try to understand the players concerns and bring back answers when you could.

Good luck in your future endevours!

U

uoBuoY

A reminder to all that if you are going to post something like this, include the bold text I've added, in my opinion, as well. In my opinion, you are posting opinion as fact, and, in my opinion, making blanket statements that all parties do not feel is true.

That said, again, regardess of Jeremy's work ethic, being out of a job, is no fun in my opinion, and I sincerely hope that she comes out of this on top.
Just my opinion, in my opinion