• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Imbuing Changes Going to Test Center 1 Today!

S

Stupid Miner

Daimyo's Helm
4 Properties
329/450 weight

Leggings of Bane Can lower the poison resist, not sure why you'd want to.
4 properties
616/450 weight

Bread of Dead
415/450

Arms of Tactical Excellence

Fey Leggings
Cant do anything with these

Pixies Swatter
Cant do anything with this

Helm of Swiftness
Cant do anything with this (what a let down)

Dryad Bow
382/450

Inquis Res

Berserker's Maul
Could we *ever* get this fixed to have the real 60% SSI cap on the weapon instead of the fake 75%?
375/450

Orcish Visage

Darkened Sky not much that's special, only 60% Hit Lightning

The blue are the ones that'll actually get a decent boost in ability.

-------------------------
My untested speculation

Gauntlets of Anger [Replica]
will become slightly useful, finally.

Oblivion's Needle [Replica]
So can we get rid of the -20 dci now?

Djinni's Ring [Replica]
should become very useful. Remember, jewlery has 500 max weight

Friends of the Library Feathered Hat
This is going to be the new gimp item.

Necromantic Reading Glasses
Might be able to add a small amount to these

W

Wilki

Yes, any mods from enhancing (such as luck from gold ingots) will count towards the intensity cap for imbuing. Basically, what we've done here was remove a lot of the special case exceptions and restrictions to what types of items were allowed to be imbued.

As for artifacts being imbuable, most cannot be. Anything that is not crafted is subject to the 450 weighted intensity cap, so you'll only be able to imbue some of the lesser artifacts. So, imbuing artifacts isn't something to look at and say, "we can make super items!", rather it's more of a byproduct of removing those restrictions in general.

Now, most of the time, with few exceptions, the only thing you need to worry about when you want to imbue an item is the property/intensity limitation of the imbuing system itself.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
hmm wonders what the exceptions are ;-)

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Daimyo's Helm
4 Properties
329/450 weight
Whats that you say? Why yes, I will be running around in a 190 stam increase suit with 55 SSI sporting a double hit spell Yumi with capped damage increase.

Pardon? Of COURSE it will be a balanced bow! How else could I possibly deal 76 points of damage every 1.75 seconds with a double shot (after I've disarmed them with a war fork) while still healing and drinking pots.

As if it wasn't cool enough already to be an archer. Please tell me that people will not be able to put more than 10 SSI on that helm.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whats that you say? Why yes, I will be running around in a 190 stam increase suit with 55 SSI sporting a double hit spell Yumi with capped damage increase.

Pardon? Of COURSE it will be a balanced bow! How else could I possibly deal 76 points of damage every 1.75 seconds with a double shot (after I've disarmed them with a war fork) while still healing and drinking pots.

As if it wasn't cool enough already to be an archer. Please tell me that people will not be able to put more than 10 SSI on that helm.
You can't add SSI to the helm because it's armor and not a weapon.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You may have missed the point of my post, that one statement was a very small and unimportant piece.

My apologies. I thought you had serious concern about the helm, since you quoted it in your post and then ended with a comment about it. I'll try not to be helpful next time.

W

Wilki

Checked it on test. Not many of the useful artifacts qualify and enhancing is no big thing. The easyness of unraveling till legendary is kindoff can I say dev you kindoff crazy there? Oh man 120 legendary imbuers while they literaly sleep.
It's "possible", but since unraveling is difficulty based, you'll stop gaining from unraveling items that are easier to get before you get to GM, much less 120.

This mostly helps those who are lower in skill, while still leaving the small chance that someone with higher skill might get an occasional 0.1 gain from unraveling an unwanted artifact for a relic fragment.

Keep in mind that the difficulty of the unravel attempt is set at 2 times the item's base total intensity. So, an item with 200 intensity will have a difficulty of 400, which translates to 40 skill. Since unraveling had a focus value of 70, you take half that, 35, and add it to 40 to get 75 skill. What that means is that you will never gain a point of imbuing skill unraveling a 200 intensity item past 75 imbuing skill.

In short, you'd need an awful lot of high intensity items to gain significant amounts of skill at higher levels via unraveling.

*Disclaimer*
This is going to be complicated and confusing to read, so stop here if you don't really, really care about how it all works under the hood :sad3:

The way the skill gain system works depends on three values: your skill, the difficulty of the attempt, and the focus value of the skill. The focus value represents the "window" of skill values where it's possible to gain from the attempt, and it's centered at the difficulty of the attempt. So, in our case, the difficulty is 40, with a focus window of 70. That means that you have a chance to gain if your skill level is anywhere from 35 points below or above 40 skill (in this case, that means anywhere from 5-75 imbuing skill) Anything below that, and it's too hard, anything above that, and it's too easy.

So, to even have the tiniest chance to gain at, say, 115 imbuing skill, you'd need to unravel something with a difficulty of 80 (115-35). UO uses a 1000 scale internally for skill values, so 80 becomes 800 for the purposes of calculating the chance to gain. Since the difficulty of a given unravel attempt is double its intensity value, you'd need an item with half the difficulty value, which would be 400 intensity, to have the slightest chance at gaining a point of skill at 115 imbuing.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
You can't add SSI to the helm because it's armor and not a weapon.
but what you can do is take a dryad bow here is what i did
+10 heal
50 ssi
1 poison
34 mana leech
and am in proccess of adding di think 12or so will be all i can add but with my suit thats over 100
combine that with the helm and you are max ssi add in 180 stamina and woohoo

ended up going with 30 mana leech and 36 di (could not get void orbs or could have been higher)

S

Stupid Miner

Yes, any mods from enhancing (such as luck from gold ingots) will count towards the intensity cap for imbuing. Basically, what we've done here was remove a lot of the special case exceptions and restrictions to what types of items were allowed to be imbued.

As for artifacts being imbuable, most cannot be. Anything that is not crafted is subject to the 450 weighted intensity cap, so you'll only be able to imbue some of the lesser artifacts. So, imbuing artifacts isn't something to look at and say, "we can make super items!", rather it's more of a byproduct of removing those restrictions in general.

Now, most of the time, with few exceptions, the only thing you need to worry about when you want to imbue an item is the property/intensity limitation of the imbuing system itself.
Can "Lower Requirements" not count as a property? Kinda kills some artifacts that could be made semi-useful.

W

Wilki

hmm wonders what the exceptions are ;-)
Items from armor sets, as there just isn't a way to let people imbue them and still balance the set bonus as well.

For unraveling, damage increase from the exceptional bonus doesn't count towards total intensity, nor does the mage armor property that was automatically added for UOSE items.

For the most part, special materials and artifact status don't matter that much except to give a small bonus to unraveling.

S

Stupid Miner

Properties that don't normally spawn on items cant be altered.

S

Stupid Miner

Wait a second... does this mean we can imbue colored armor from the invasions and the Invasion weapons?

If so... wow...

S

Serine

Does this mean that the magi general bows will be imbueble also ?

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wait a second... does this mean we can imbue colored armor from the invasions and the Invasion weapons?

If so... wow...
I'll reserve the 'wow' until I know if we can imbue ranger, daemon bone and most of all dragon scale armour...

W

Wilki

Assume that if it's not explicitly disallowed, that you can now imbue it. One of the reasons we put this on the TC was to let you play around with the changes and see if there are any items out there that shouldn't be imbued.

So, if you find something that you feel is overpowered or shouldn't be allowed, let us know.

Ken of Napa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's "possible", but since unraveling is difficulty based, you'll stop gaining from unraveling items that are easier to get before you get to GM, much less 120.

This mostly helps those who are lower in skill, while still leaving the small chance that someone with higher skill might get an occasional 0.1 gain from unraveling an unwanted artifact for a relic fragment.

Keep in mind that the difficulty of the unravel attempt is set at 2 times the item's base total intensity. So, an item with 200 intensity will have a difficulty of 400, which translates to 40 skill. Since unraveling had a focus value of 70, you take half that, 35, and add it to 40 to get 75 skill. What that means is that you will never gain a point of imbuing skill unraveling a 200 intensity item past 75 imbuing skill.

In short, you'd need an awful lot of high intensity items to gain significant amounts of skill at higher levels via unraveling.

*Disclaimer*
This is going to be complicated and confusing to read, so stop here if you don't really, really care about how it all works under the hood :sad3:

The way the skill gain system works depends on three values: your skill, the difficulty of the attempt, and the focus value of the skill. The focus value represents the "window" of skill values where it's possible to gain from the attempt, and it's centered at the difficulty of the attempt. So, in our case, the difficulty is 40, with a focus window of 70. That means that you have a chance to gain if your skill level is anywhere from 35 points below or above 40 skill (in this case, that means anywhere from 5-75 imbuing skill) Anything below that, and it's too hard, anything above that, and it's too easy.

So, to even have the tiniest chance to gain at, say, 115 imbuing skill, you'd need to unravel something with a difficulty of 80 (115-35). UO uses a 1000 scale internally for skill values, so 80 becomes 800 for the purposes of calculating the chance to gain. Since the difficulty of a given unravel attempt is double its intensity value, you'd need an item with half the difficulty value, which would be 400 intensity, to have the slightest chance at gaining a point of skill at 115 imbuing.
Wilki

First of all, It's really great to see you posting here!

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Second, It all looks great to me, and I'm looking forward to checking it out when I get home.

Third, I Really Really appreciate your disclaimer! I really tried to read it but my eyes began glassing over!

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
*Disclaimer*
This is going to be complicated and confusing to read, so stop here if you don't really, really care about how it all works under the hood

Wilki

ah good to know that makes sense now!

W

Wilki

Wilki

First of all, It's really great to see you posting here!

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Second, It all looks great to me, and I'm looking forward to checking it out when I get home.

Third, I Really Really appreciate your disclaimer! I really tried to read it but my eyes began glassing over!
You should have seen my eyes when I first tried to figure that out! :confused:

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
oh cool a good use for dragons scale now awesome
I know what the first thing i am making is :)

S

Stupid Miner

Assume that if it's not explicitly disallowed, that you can now imbue it. One of the reasons we put this on the TC was to let you play around with the changes and see if there are any items out there that shouldn't be imbued.

So, if you find something that you feel is overpowered or shouldn't be allowed, let us know.
Well we're kinda hampered by the fact that there's a *lot* of stuff we can't get on TC.
Replicas
Invasion items
A bunch of SA resources such as blackrock, etc.
and so on.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Well we're kinda hampered by the fact that there's a *lot* of stuff we can't get on TC.
Replicas
Invasion items
and so on.
very true this is what is holding me back atm

Rimeny

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll reserve the 'wow' until I know if we can imbue ranger, daemon bone and most of all dragon scale armour...
Ive already imbue my ranger armour to be 100LRC and mage armour..working on the resists :thumbup1:

PS this is on production not test center

G

Green Mouser

If so... wow...
You can already imbue the invasion armor. But with the resists so low it is hard to imbue a useful set.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guess everyone will have a 120 Imbuer now

Well, I see this as a very very good thing.

The more players enjoy the game, the better.......

All players should be able to fully enjoy the game and the more have 120 imbuing, I see it as the better.......

S

Smokin

Um can you put all the artifacts in the bank, meaning the new ones also. It would be nice to also have the special craftable ones too, instead of having to make them. I would like to test those also. Also virtue drop ones.

G

Green Mouser

I am confused on why the push to make gains easier? Most of the complaints I had read was about the volume of resources needed not the gains.

Being one of the "By Hand" trained Imbuers, I didnt have a complaint about the gain occurrences but the over 10k of residue needed was the time consumer.

IMHO dont make this skill easier then the Focus Skill to gain. Besides whatever happened to risk/reward? if you are improving the reward's for the skill why make the gain easier?

M

MudFace

hmm so take this for example

Turquise ring +5 ssi and HCI/DCI E/P DI
Jade armband +5 ssi and 10 HCI/DCI posion resist and if they squeeze any E/P on the brace (dunno if that would be possible though)
tokuno minor helm +10 ssi

bow with 40 ssi balanced double hit spell with ring/brace=60 ssi ( this is already way overpowered imo)

or as someone posted- take the Dryad bow 50 ssi and just use jade armband and ring (although I wouldnt use the Dryad bow in pvp ever lol)

S

Smokin

The count on the Resillient Bracer is wrong it has 5 mods as it is, but you can add a 6th. It must not be counting one.

S

Smokin

Whats the Jade arm band never heard of it, is it garg only if so then the dryad bow wouldn't work.

M

MudFace

Jade armband is champspawn replica with.
HCI 10
DCI 10
SSI +5
Poison resist 20

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Can you please set up a schedule where you mirror the prod shards for even a day or two for us to use every possible item? there are quite a few items not thrown on test that i would definitely like to test. I play Pac :)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Jade armband is champspawn replica with.
HCI 10
DCI 10
SSI +5
Poison resist 20
I have non to test but assuming you can imbue it you woul be able to add one mod at approximately 100% intensity
would have to do the math to figure exactly

S

Smokin

Yeah they really need to put replicas and all the new arties on test.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Yeah they really need to put replicas and all the new arties on test.
or mirror production shard as was suggested ! even if they just did it on a rotation bases it would at least allow some people to test special items

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone have a list of the artifact weapons that aren't over the cap? Or help me to understand it... tried imbuing a few on test but I think they're over. How do you count a Blade of Insanity with Stam Leech 100%... 200% intensity?

Eh...

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
well this should make for some very interesting variations on armor and weapons thats for sure

T'Challa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone have a list of the artifact weapons that aren't over the cap? Or help me to understand it... tried imbuing a few on test but I think they're over. How do you count a Blade of Insanity with Stam Leech 100%... 200% intensity?

Eh...
50% SL would be max on a crafted weapon of that type, so having 100% leech means it's 200% intensity...

M

MudFace

I have non to test but assuming you can imbue it you woul be able to add one mod at approximately 100% intensity
Ya I was guessing you could lower poison resist to 5 and maybe put 15-20 E/P

T'Challa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let's not forget you could drop the poison resist to 1%, thus freeing up "property weight" for higher HCI/DCI *plus* that 100% mod...

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Let's not forget you could drop the poison resist to 1%, thus freeing up "property weight" for higher HCI/DCI *plus* that 100% mod...
true and i just did this with dryad bow and already forgot lol but you still could not increase hci as it does not normally come on arm bands

T'Challa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
true and i just did this with dryad bow and already forgot lol but you still could not increase hci as it does not normally come on arm bands
It takes an armor slot? I assumed it was jewelry (never seen one)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
It takes an armor slot? I assumed it was jewelry (never seen one)
to be honest I am not sure what it is also we need to keep in mind that it may only have 450 max property also would have to see one to tell

J

James_Mythic

Hey guys,

Be sure to submit your questions about this to the "Ask the Devs" board!

I unfortunately don't have many of the answers on hand so that's a good way to find out :)

Cheers!

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Replicas
Invasion items
and so on.
Special Material Item Changes
- Items made from or enhanced with special materials can now be imbued.
- This only applies to new items created after this change.
- Artifacts can now be imbued.

Wilki,

Quite a number of players kept invasion weapons so that we might be able to imbue (in my case leeches) them. But as it is right now, the weapons (not the armour) are considered to be made of a special material. So according to the statement above - since they are not new items, then we will still not be able to imbue them. Please can anything be done about this so we can imbue them?

L

Lost-Soul

Special Material Item Changes

- Items made from or enhanced with special materials can now be imbued.

- This only applies to new items created after this change.

- Artifacts can now be imbued.

PLEASE NO
Especially since everyone i know, including myself, unraveled all of our old barb and val armor for ingredients (relics). EA got their server space back with everyone unraveling, now they want to let us imbue them. The only thing i would consider allowing this for would be for bows since imbuers waste tons of essences trying to craft and then enhance a bow for 40 ssi.