• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] House of Commons update

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is a reminder that the UO: Video House of Commons is scheduled for March 1st at 7:00 p.m. EST.
Topics of Discussion will include:

Follow up to the Video Dev Diary released last week
Current Story arc and events
The Restoration of Magincia and the concept of the player-driven town
Publish 70

We will update this information with the video stream link as soon as it’s available.

More...

T

Tinsil

Good. Let's get magincia going way faster please.. These events take way too long.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good. Let's get magincia going way faster please.. These events take way too long.
Personally I find there to be a place for all kinds of events. The epic, and the small.

However, we've now had two epic events in a row: Warriors of Destiny (which lasted, what, four years?) and the current In the Shadow of Virtue. I think we're all ready for storylines closer in scope to The Savage Empire or the Solen storyline (whatever that was called): Stories where new content is introduced and things are explored but the fate of the world isn't at stake.

If towns must be attacked, for example, in a given scenario, perhaps they can be closer to raids than invasions in scope and intent and form. And, Hell, maybe it's time for the non-Britannia maps to be involved.

This is one of the reasons I fear that the next monarch of Britannia won't be an oppressive dictator; that kind of creates an epic scenario by definition, just by creating an epic antagonist.

After a year or two or so of small-scale scenarios, then maybe trot out the epic again.

There's lots of options. Here are three.

• The sudden appearance of Viking-style raiders in Tokuno, maybe a cross between Vikings and Mongols. (Perhaps former Bane Chosen who have fled Britannia, and are now purpose-less after the death of their master [assuming we win In the Shadow of Virtue, of course].) Their camps shift location every day or every couple of days. Sometimes the camp gets uncomfortably close to Zento, increasing the risk and reward of fighting them, and it'd of course be possible to drive them back after a few days of steady fighting on the outskirts of Zento. Maybe we can finally meet the Empress of Tokuno! Rewards can be another Treasures of Tokuno-style system with new items, and maybe based on loyalty points with the Empress.
  • Suddenly Britannian pirates and land-based brigands organize under a crime lord; not an epic villain per se but a Godfather-style criminal; loathsome enough to want to fight against but he doesn't want to take over the map. (Why should he? He makes more money from stability than form instability that he doesn't cause.) I for one would love to see sea-based loyalty ratings, and rewards based on those ratings.
  • Years ago, a previous UO team played around with a scenario that would, if the players lost, cause reagents to become way more rare. Maybe a variant on that can be trotted out now, where if the players lose the scenario, LRC becomes marginally but noticeably less effective. (Cap of 95% instead of 100%, say.) This would be a unique scenario in that we players would fight to keep what we already have. And on shards were we lose, suddenly reagents become valuable again. But the great thing is we don't have to lose.

The loyalty system can be used to great effect in smaller-scale scenarios.

I'll be eager to hear what they say tomorrow.

-Galen's player

B

BeefSupreme

Huh. I like the large 'end of the world' storylines!

The smaller events are fun too of course but it's the big ones that hold my
Interest

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The two "smaller" events that I liked were:

- The Controller Towers spawning in Britannia (while they existed, the Controllers and Golems spawned, players could stop the spawn by solving the puzzle interface on the tower)

- The Rat infestation of the Sewers. Every 4 hours there would be a special spawn of red named sewer and giant rats in the Brit sewers that dropped the unstackable copper, silver, and gold coins

As for the large invasions, I still think the Ophidian Invasion was one of the better if not best scripted ones due to the progression of the spawn, the neat little extra loot items (orders, rations, etc), and the ability to beat the invasion via a certain path of progress.

Probably the only real let down of the rats and the Ophidian Invasion was that aside from a Spring Cleaning event, nothing ever came of the added loot items that had some real potential. Oh, and being unable to keep Sherry's initial AI was a letdown as well.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like Galen, Martyna, and others have suggested, something needs to happen in Ter Mur. Small scale, large scale, whatever. Leather wolves and Treefellow dudes arent enough of a change. T-maps make it sort of interesting, but still. Ter Mur should have some sort of a boss, maybe. Or something. Like, a Firesteed, something that could spawn anywhere. Something RNG to make the place interesting.

All those Tom Petty fans, heartbreakin' on the outskirts. And no quests or reason for them to be there, really. It makes me think of Chrono Trigger, in the future, when the people don't have to eat or shower anymore, and they just use a machine to feel better. Ter Mur needs a Black Omen in the sky. Or more cats. Or something.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Here is a reminder that the UO: Video House of Commons is scheduled for March 1st at 7:00 p.m. EST.

Publish 70

We will update this information with the video stream link as soon as it’s available.

More...
Well ... okie dokies ...
hopefully the "update with the video" will indicate HOW to ask questions ...
*grins*
I did my part (and had a wonderfully fulfilling sensation too! *smiles*)

Le List(again)
http://vboards.stratics.com/uhall/236327-video-hoc-questions-list.html

:danceb:

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Years ago, a previous UO team played around with a scenario that would, if the players lost, cause reagents to become way more rare.
That sounds interesting! I wish all these events would actually have an impact. Now it is the same old "kill thousands of monsters, and if you don't it doesn't matter anyway". I see no real reason for participating in another monster slaying event.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
TIMES:
Midnight GMT, 1.00 AM CET, 3.00 AM MSK

a moderator should add this on the post :p

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I almost dread this HoC, Cal, Mesanna, and Co. I feel sorry for you guys, I know you guys are gonna take some heat over the whole Classic Server thing.

If any of what we've been seeing here in terms of hostility on the forums, and attitudes during the recent in game events is any indication you guys aren't going to be having a really fun time.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If any of what we've been seeing here in terms of hostility on the forums, and attitudes during the recent in game events is any indication you guys aren't going to be having a really fun time.
Any time folks put their heads over the parapet to an audience so passionate and opinionated they risk getting them bitten off ... that's the result of having a 'product' that people care about. No way around it. Either hide and never speak, or take the risk. There just isn't an alternative, really. The thing is that the people who speak for EA/Mythic need to be absolutely sure they can handle the flak, because no matter what it will come their way.

Of course, there's a paradox - EA/Mythic become reluctant to take that risk, so the rarer the more genuine 'discussion', the less the players feel involved, so they tend to let all their frustration rip at the occasions when they can be reasonably sure someone is at the other end of the line... whether listening or not. The overall nastier tone of the audience could be soothed a bit by better handling, in and out of game. That's not to say the outright abuse and disrespect is acceptable, it certainly is not - but if it's allowed to happen without any control in-game, and genuine concerns and grievances go apparently unaddressed in and out of game, nobody should be surprised if people use the safety and anonymity of the internet to behave badly.

One appearance and discussion won't calm it down much, and what it does can only be temporary - it needs time, and work, to get a better balance back. But that has to start somewhere.... my main hope is this is the beginning of getting things back on track, but I've been badly disappointed over that hope in the past, so many times, that as ever all I can do is wait and see.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like Galen, Martyna, and others have suggested, something needs to happen in Ter Mur. Small scale, large scale, whatever. Leather wolves and Treefellow dudes arent enough of a change. T-maps make it sort of interesting, but still...

There are several places a boss type could spawn, even two I think maybe were built for such an encounter. The volcano in the NW corner of the continent, and the octopus-like floating island in the NE corner.

I'd also like to see some history of Ter Mur. What the hell has been going on there for the last few hundred years? The expansion was dumped on us with virtually no fiction (No, the Shadowlord lead up doesn't count)

We know it is a matriarchy, the gargoyles are physically different from the ones in Ilshenar, and their magic is completely different. How about explaining some of this through quests and such. How did the Void Plague start, what do they think it is? Could it attack Sosaria? Where did their wingless go? (This might be a way to introduce a Ter Mur underclass that has been hidden from Britannia. Ultima VI gargl culture was very classist/racist)

In Ultima VI, the gargoyle's world was "on the other side of the underworld" jokingly hinting at a flat planet. In later Ultima games, it was retconned to be another world that was linked to Sosaria like Earth is, only it was disintegrating. This could have interesting implications for future events.

The Ter Mur map has soooo much black space that one could hide lots of fun instanced areas, including building a few more levels of the Abyss focused on events and characters from Underworld I. Perhaps the Chamber of Virtue falls into the chasm it’s perched over, local chaos ensues as the Abyssal denizens vie for power now that the Slasher is trapped on a lower level. (Seriously, stuffing more mobs into every nook and cranny of the Abyss isn't the way to go, its reaching saturation level)

Speaking of, how about an official acknowledgement from Zhah that the separatists even exist. Or better yet, why they exist.

No big change should be introduced without fiction anymore. Some of the EMs could write Mythic under the table blindfolded and tanked on Nujel'm fire water. Let them.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's 3am MSK not PM though.
wrong calc :p

however this data should be added to the main post... so the people will be able to understand something... but really, devs should use a global time or put a converter to uoherald :D

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wrong calc :p

however this data should be added to the main post... so the people will be able to understand something... but really, devs should use a global time or put a converter to uoherald :D
Or you could Google "Time in Virginia" and get your time difference that way :)

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That sounds interesting! I wish all these events would actually have an impact. Now it is the same old "kill thousands of monsters, and if you don't it doesn't matter anyway". I see no real reason for participating in another monster slaying event.
Even if there wouldn't be an impact, the characters don't know that...And, of course, the various UO teams have usually, to their credit, been good about finding rewards we can get that are appropriate. Thus granting us an out-of-character reason to participate, if the potential consequences weren't enough. (Good loot and doing the right thing were rarely incompatible goals to the heroic characters of fantasy. Or, for that matter, the RL knights those heroes were modeled after.)

But do we really know there wouldn't be an impact for most of this? We can assume that some things need to happen or not happen for storyline purposes, I suppose. But I have always thought it best to not assume one way or the other and just try my hardest to contribute to the positive outcome.

I, for example, simply do not want to know what would have happened if we had failed to defeat the Shadowlords. I'd rather just try my hardest to contribute to a win.

But, one of the virtues of non-epic scenarios is that a loss by the players may not necessarily be a catastrophe. Thus the players could lose and the consequences would still be manageable. (For example, let's say in a given scenario, loss means the gargoyle separatist spawn is increased somewhat; victory means there's some useful buff you can get from some gargoyle related locations in Ter Mur and Ilshenar. Either outcome is manageable and can probably differ shard to shard without breaking something. At least I hope so.)

I, and many others, would still try our hardest to win, of course.

Oh, as I recall they didn't do the reagent rarity scenario because they were worried there'd be too many warriors who would try too hard to make the players not win as an effort to weaken mages in PvP. They could resurrect it now with the LRC thing, I think, because I don't think the effects of loss would be as catastrophic. We now have LRC, reagents, and arcane clothing. Back then we had only reagents. So even if we lose and LRC gets limited, it wouldn't (I hope) be limited that badly and there'd still be the others to fall back on.

And, of course, these smaller-scale scenarios would be a supplement to, not in addition to, EM events. (Though I'd imagine EMs would have a role in implementing the global events as well.) Thus, conceivably, there'd be something to do in the events rather frequently for those interested.

And then, after a year or two of non-epics, perhaps we'd be ready for the next world-ender.

-Galen's player

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Too late for me to watch live, but looking forward to seeing the results from this.

When I saw this topic though, I thought it was going to say "The HoC has been delayed" :p

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Too late for me to watch live, but looking forward to seeing the results from this.

When I saw this topic though, I thought it was going to say "The HoC has been delayed" :p
There's still a little over 6.5 hours for EA Corporate to decide they absolutely must delay it so they can fly in a representative to sit there with a clipboard.

-Galen's player

J

[JD]

will there be a recording if you miss the live stream?

where are the notes of the EC?

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does the world clock I put on UO Stratics - News - Main no longer work? Top right.
On my computer it is an hour off. I am in the central time zone and it shows my time as being 1:12pm. It is just after noon here. So, all other times are thrown off by an hour, too. At least according to what is displayed for me.

Does anyone else have the times shown as an hour off?

By the way, Petra, that's a really neat feature. Thanks for including it.

Edit- Did you just fix it, Petra? It is displaying correctly for me now. Thanks.

BlissMarie

watchertoo

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
will there be a recording if you miss the live stream?

where are the notes of the EC?
JD, there should be an official video but just in case there is another minor "lost" moment Sosaria Reels will be doing their best to make a backup copy.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
JD, there should be an official video but just in case there is another minor "lost" moment Sosaria Reels will be doing their best to make a backup copy.
You are one of the great unsung heroes of UO.

*bows to a great lady*

-Galen's player

Luisito

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there going to be any love for PvP thieves?

Sure, we can all steal from dungeons and monsters....but it seems that the PvP thief is dead. People get tired of champion spawns, if you can even survive them.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thieves thieve. They don't pvp. They surprise, attempt to steal, then flee. The end.

Luisito

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thieves thieve. They don't pvp. They surprise, attempt to steal, then flee. The end.
PvP doesn't necessarily mean PvP as in combat....it means Player Vs. Player...as in a player stealing from another player.....

i.e -- check out the PvP Thief forum as opposed to just the Thief forum

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, I fixed the clock. And I thought I'd made it easy for everyone by using 'EA Mythic' as one of the time zones, They are EST.

W

Woodsman

There's still a little over 6.5 hours for EA Corporate to decide they absolutely must delay it so they can fly in a representative to sit there with a clipboard.

-Galen's player
The scary thing is, if you look through the video we got last week, it was heavily edited. Somebody sent me a link to the transcript:

Finally, the 2011 Ultima Online Developer Video Diary with Transcript | UOJournal.com

I knew it the video was edited, but if I follow that correctly, in some cases the devs only spoke for a second or two before it cutting away to something else.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not good, by the way, that no actual link from the main page was posted.

I'm sure I can find it, and yes I did notice that a fellow Stratics poster kindly provided a link.

But the point is that I shouldn't have to find it and a fellow Stratics poster shouldn't have to post a direct link for them. To post a direct link, as opposed to or in addition to instructions, is a long-standing Internet convention.

-Galen's player

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Publish 70

More...
this is ended see you there.....Where exactly can we see this happen or is it taped and NOT a live event?

T

Tinsil

Another communication issue with them not posting the link... surprise surprise

W

Woodsman

Are they going to avoid last week's video plus the client talk and just focus on small stuff?

Somebody asked about the house sets.

I would be asking about the client and art first.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What was the deal in detail about the raffle for plots? How is that working? Is it earned or given just based on log in.

W

Woodsman

What was the deal in detail about the raffle for plots? How is that working? Is it earned or given just based on log in.
There is a south side and a north side. With one side, you could enter the raffle one time per account. The other side, as many times as you have gold.

Also they will be transferable just like normal after they are won, so in theory the vendors will get those plots, I'm sure.

Luna 2 all over again.

Son of a pancake. I forgot it was 6PM CST, I thought it was 7PM. <_<

What have they said about the EC, if anything?
Not much. They work on it in spurts.

The enhanced artwork will be coming in batches. That is related to the EC since only the EC will get the artwork.

It seems like most of the time was dealing with items people wanted.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good stuff about the new artwork! Can't wait to see some of it.

Magincia sounds good, I just hope theres a town as well as player housing.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Same. I didn't hear much except character transfers OFF Siege isn't technically possible, customizable keeps and castles won't be done (well, no ****, it's been said forever), and lowering gold on corpses is a bad idea because it would further impair new players, and if anything is changed, it'd be raised.

Didn't hear anything about EC, or Magincia, or whatever.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yep, I can accept the artwork in "chunks" as well (if only just to get SOME in the system, allow for feedback, etc).

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good stuff about the new artwork! Can't wait to see some of it.
What stuff? You mean the part where Supreem said that they had only just started talkng about it?

We'll be waiting a really long time, hope you aren't holding your breath...

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What about party status bars?

And artwork in chunks isn't bad. It's better than no improvements at all. Did they say anything about what they're starting with? And does "artwork" mean terrain, mobiles, items, everything?

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry, meant to say there are two sections of plots, a north and south side. One is based on one ticket per account, the other - how much gold you have.

You can transfer the houses to anybody if you win one.

And the pixel crack addicts did rule the HoC.
I'm not sure what plots you're talking about though. Something in Magincia?