• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Bank Renovation Contest Update

_zigzag_

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Due to an issue that prevented us from receiving some contest e-mails last week, we’ve decided to re-open the Bank Renovation contest! We need you to resubmit your entries or if you did not get a chance to finish in time for the deadline, to submit them by Sunday, February 1st at midnight EST. We’re sorry for the inconvenience but we feel this is needed so that we can be fair to all interested participants.

Please also note that we’ve added some extra information in the rules section of the contest based on some of the entries we had already received. Please make sure to modify your entries as needed. Thank you and good luck!

All details about the contest can be found here.

More...

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Added 01/27/09: Please make sure to keep your bank designs to one story/level and to respect the current layout of the bank (do not move walls!). While we appreciate the designs with multiple stories/levels and different layouts we're not accepting them at this time.

Does this mean we're not allowed to put anything on the roof?

G

Ghost71

What about moongates? I put one in mine the last time. Hmm well at least this'll give me a chance to change/improve my last desgin.

S

Stupid Miner

Pretty sure it means you can't add extra buildings onto the roof, but i think you can add buildings on the ground level as long as you don't change existing bank walls.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about stuff like the stalls I put on the roof in my design?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not clear on that either. I did add steps up to the roof and some decor on there. I guess that's not really 'one story'. Back to the drawing board I suppose. :(

S

Stupid Miner

What about stuff like the stalls I put on the roof in my design?
That is what i think they don't want, but honestly, they could be a lot more explicit telling us what they don't want.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eh, I think I'll give this a shot then after all. Anyone have a blank bank template uploaded I could nab? :p

L

Lunaticus

Hmmmm. . . I'll take this as an opportunity to tweak my current design, but I would really like clarification regarding what is considered more than one story. As previously mentioned, do steps leading to the roof count as a second story? Also, are we allowed to create buildings that attach to the bank as long as they are single story? Finally, do the walls need to remain exactly the same, or can we alter the material from which they are made?

S

Sweety

Ooo more time I think I'm gonna make like 2 more entries now

What exactly counts as another story? What i mean is does a half wall on roof count as another story? Does adding roofing count as another story?

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I agree that we need more information about what we are allowed/not allowed to do with the roof.

Are we allowed to create an access to the roof using stairs or ladders?

Are we allowed to add items to the roof such as sitting, tables, etc?

WildStar

_zigzag_

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In case anyone is looking for the original post, it's been moved from public view as people had posted their submitted designs.

No sense giving away good ideas, eh? :)

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Zigzag, can someone please clarify what defines "a second level"? Can you please elaborate on what is UNACCEPTABLE?
Moongates in the area?

Stable space on the roof?

How about a tent on the roof? Is that considered an additional level?

I think I read somewhere before, that if an object highlights yellow when you mouse over it then it is NOT static. So, can those non-static objects be replaced?

I don't want to spend time redesigning only to find out something I did made my entry unacceptable.

S

Sweety

In case anyone is looking for the original post, it's been moved from public view as people had posted their submitted designs.
Also Thanks

And i agree with Patty ... I'd like some guidelines as to what is acceptable too

L

Lord Drakelord

Eh, I think I'll give this a shot then after all. Anyone have a blank bank template uploaded I could nab? :p
like to try this, but have no clue where or how, is anyone on Sonoma doing this already? If so then I will not try,as anything that is put on Sonoma would be better, even if we copy from the Asia shards it would still be better then what we have.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Added 01/27/09: Please make sure to keep your bank designs to one story/level and to respect the current layout of the bank (do not move walls!). While we appreciate the designs with multiple stories/levels and different layouts we're not accepting them at this time.

I think you can still add stuff to the roof. Think of it as customizing a one-story house, you can't make a 2nd story, but you can customize the roof.

At least that is how I understand it. They never said the roof can't be touched so this is what I think.

Maybe Joanne or one of the other Dev's can comment on this

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about some answers, devs? Its bad enough that all of us who submitted designs on time and posted them publicly thinking the contest was over have had our ideas made totally public to anyone that might want to copy them and that all the people who DIDN'T finish on time can now enter if they want even tho they were too lazy to do so first time around, but the sense of hopelessness that comes from incredibly uninformative and unspecific "important clarifications" isn't exactly a morale booster (or something that actually makes me want to make the required changes and resubmit.. i'm on the edge of not bothering).

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ohh Noes!!!!!

Hehe, Good luck Sarsmi!!
Pffbt, I wouldn't worry. It's not an especially inspiring area for me so I don't think I'll do anything great, but it's good to work those customizing muscles now and then esp when I haven't in a while. ;)

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also guys.. next time might wanna specify if we can't add another floor on top or such beforehand, especially since people have been talking about how they were going to do that in their submissions since the day the contest was posted on UO.com in the news post thread about it here where devs did clarify some other things.

The fact that this keeps happening with every contest the game has held isn't so encouraging, either. Did we ever even get the results of that poetry one? And it took nearly 2 years for the list of house winners for that other one. In fact I believe the same kinds of issues were involved with all of those other contests (IE unspecific guidelines and issues with recieving submissions). Don't ya think it might have been a good idea to learn from those mistakes before trying again?

Joanne_Mythic

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey gang, I just wanted to help clarify a few things!

Rooftops - Feel free to decorate them as you want to, but please do not add another story to it. :) (This would mean adding something that has another roof on it!)

Moongates - Sure, you can use moongates in your renovations! Don't forget sparklies, glowing runes, pentagrams, arcane circles, are all fine too.

Stalls on the roof - If you so desire.

What can I put on the roof? - You can put any decoration item you want to there, including benches and tables.

Do steps leading to the roof count as a second story? No, just make sure you do not have a 2nd roof!

Are we allowed to create buildings that attach to the bank as long as they are single story? - No.

Do the walls need to remain exactly the same, or can we alter the material from which they are made? - The walls need to stay the same, you cannot change the material to sandstone for example but you can add new material to it!

I hope this helps, happy decorating everyone.

T

Teeshy

Thanks for the clarification Joanne =)

I'm just re-sending mine now (haven't really changed very much from my original entry) - but would like to know if there is any way we can get some kind of acknowledgement that our entries have been recieved? Even just an auto-reply to the email?

Thanks!

Joanne_Mythic

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the clarification Joanne =)

I'm just re-sending mine now (haven't really changed very much from my original entry) - but would like to know if there is any way we can get some kind of acknowledgement that our entries have been recieved? Even just an auto-reply to the email?

Thanks!
I'll see what I can do, but I do want you to know that entries are coming in without any issue now. :)

D

Dhara

I am really wanting to do this and have done quite a bit or prep on the images and such so far. I thought maybe I'd place a new house to work with so I can take screenshots of entire walls that I create instead of making each and every piece of original art transparent from the InsideUO tool. It would cut out a lot of time, I think. Well I went to place a house and I got the message about my old house being condemmed and transferring it or redeeding it would not uncondem it. Can I destroy the new house and have my regular house be OK or will I loose that house all together in 7 days no matter what?

TIA

Dhara

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dhara, you can place a house on test center and it does not affect your normal shard house whatsoever.... go place!!! :D

D

Dhara

Hi DevilsOwn,

I already tried that, but it said I had to be 15 days old to place. I've never played on the test shard so I don't know if there is a way to override that or not.

Thanks,

Dhara

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can I destroy the new house and have my regular house be OK or will I loose that house all together in 7 days no matter what?

TIA

Dhara
Destroying your new house will not make your old house okay. You will need to transfer your old house to a different account to keep it from falling, if it has begun to decay (because you had placed a new house).

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would have been great to have all this stuff we couldn't do BEFORE the contest was originally supposed to end, too.

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm still wondering about the non-static objects. I guess I will just leave everything as is and work around.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi DevilsOwn,

I already tried that, but it said I had to be 15 days old to place. I've never played on the test shard so I don't know if there is a way to override that or not.

Thanks,

Dhara
There is a moongate on test you can go through that will let you place houses afterwards.

G

Ghost71

Another thing i'm worried about. What about people's recall spots? Like on top of the bank roof, what if you place something there that blocks em from recalling after. Or what if somebody has a certain spot they like to stand at the bank? What if somebody places something on that spot and they aren't able to stand there any longer?

Also what about little buildings/shacks not connected to the bank are those ok to have?

Saunders

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When the deco was added to New Haven, it blocked one of my recall spots. I don't think this is an issue in adding deco. It's not so hard to get a new rune marked, or find a friendly person who will do that.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another thing i'm worried about. What about people's recall spots? Like on top of the bank roof, what if you place something there that blocks em from recalling after. Or what if somebody has a certain spot they like to stand at the bank? What if somebody places something on that spot and they aren't able to stand there any longer?

Also what about little buildings/shacks not connected to the bank are those ok to have?
Why worry about recall runes? Brit bank is incredibly easy to get to, getting a new rune will be incredibly easy (many people are willing to mark a rune for others), and getting to the bank roof will also be incredibly easy, especially with the new additions that will be added.
From everyone who spoke about their ideas, a lot of people will be adding moongates to brit bank, which seems kinda cool :p

TheChocolits

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wondering if we could add npcs like provisioners and stable masters/animal trainers? ... :p

G

Ghost71

What if we add something that you can't or don't want to add? Are we out of the running? Or can we just say in our description that if it can't be done just ignore it?

T

Teeshy

What if we add something that you can't or don't want to add? Are we out of the running? Or can we just say in our description that if it can't be done just ignore it?
I went with the "please ignore it, or change it to (specific item)" option when I entered, cos at the time didn't know if moongates were allowed

Just seemed like the most sensible idea to me =)

G

Ghost71

I went with the "please ignore it, or change it to (specific item)" option when I entered, cos at the time didn't know if moongates were allowed

Just seemed like the most sensible idea to me =)
Yeah that's what i did with my moongate. I guess i'll leave it in, i've always told people their should be one/i've always wanted one so, guess it can't hurt to try.

G

Ghost71

Has anyone got a good inside bank pic? I wanna do some stuff inside, hadn't done that last time.

S

Sweety

What exactly is considered a building? I have an addition to the bank. i think its more of a pavilion type thing but it does have tiles on top with stuff. I posted my design on the other thread so someone may have seen it. Its on the ground level. Do you think i should i delete it?

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A moongate and stables at the bank are a pretty radical idea. I'm not sure if I'd like those to be on top of or inside that bank. Perhaps a building or two away, but RIGHT there!?? Think about it.

Definitely EVERYONE should put an Arcane Circle in their submissions... please? It would be fantastic if we can finally have a busy public place to Arcane Focus for a gem. :thumbsup: yes yes yes!

P

PingThing

Greetings.
The original thread for the bank redo had wonderful pix of the bank inside and out.
I can't find it. I have the outside but didn't have time to do the inside. does anyone still have the inside shot? I tried to take a screen shot but the egdes were cut off.
Help please.

Ping /Legends

D

Dhara

There is a moongate on test you can go through that will let you place houses afterwards.
Thanks Sarsmi. I'll give that a shot. My brother might also let me use his character since he is thinking of redoing his house anyway so now I have two options :)

Thanks again!

Dhara

G

Ghost71

I just sent my updated one in. Uh question, i forgot to mention something in my description. Is it ok to send a reply with what i forgot?

TheChocolits

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Moongates - Sure, you can use moongates in your renovations! Don't forget sparklies, glowing runes, pentagrams, arcane circles, are all fine too.
Just a few silly questions: What are the functions of a glowing rune? ... just curious coz if there's a use for it I'd add it to my design :p

Oh and, pentagrams and arcane circles, do they both have the same functions? As in casting arcane circle from spellweaving. Also, I see some player houses having a really big arcane circle, not sure where that came from but does it have the same function as the normal smaller arcane circle?

Edit: Just found the name for the big arcane circle which is a 'bloody pentagram', but can't find it in my InsideUO :S