• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish Day to all Shards

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Patch Notes
2014 Mar 20 16:03 GMT
Greetings everyone,

We will be taking all the shards except for Origin and Izumo down today at approx 1:30 for approx 3 hours. If your shard has not gone thru your normal maintenance cycle it will not be going thru one consider this your cycle for the day.

We will be publishing all the items from Publish 85.4 to all shards today with the addition of one client fix to the classic client that was causing the client to hang up when you tried to exit out of the client while preforming a seach. You will now be able to right click anywhere on the game screen to access the exit gump.

We hope you enjoy Vendor Search and look forward to any feedback you may have. Talk to you soon!

UO Team

Continue reading...

Rieley

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Patch Notes
2014 Mar 20 16:03 GMT
Greetings everyone,

(snipped by me)

We will be publishing all the items from Publish 85.4 to all shards today with the addition of one client fix to the classic client that was causing the client to hang up when you tried to exit out of the client while preforming a seach. You will now be able to right click anywhere on the game screen to access the exit gump.

We hope you enjoy Vendor Search and look forward to any feedback you may have. Talk to you soon!

UO Team

Continue reading...
Thank you I read that bug, nice communication and service.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Thank you I read that bug, nice communication and service.
Yep... I thought that was a quick turnaround on the vendor search window.

Here's to hoping more open communications with us the players and quick response on reported bugs. :pint:

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So for those of us that have never tried it yet.. how do you do it?

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Glad I reported that bug - best turnaround on a non crasher that I've ever seen from UO! :)

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's been a long time comin', and has no doubt been a challenge for the team. Thank you very much for persevering and making it happen. Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS !:danceb:

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I cant seem to get the Vendor Search to work on Atlantic. It just hangs at the please wait, and never brings up any results.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I cant seem to get the Vendor Search to work on Atlantic. It just hangs at the please wait, and never brings up any results.
mine is doing same thing but i think they said it could take up to 3 hours before all the vendors are in the system...I may be wrong

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well... looks like vendor search is broken. i tried 2 characters. same thing.

vendor search was white, i was in my house, i brought up the menue and typed something in
got a messege that "i must be in justice region or my hour or a inn" (i was in my house)
now vendor search under menue is grey and i cant access it at all.

So i guess its broken. lol

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please wait for your search to complete......Then takes about a minute before kicking me back to the first screen to search again.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Players will not see these improvements for the first 3 hours until the data base has been rebuilt.
@Kyronix, even though they were already published, are you guys also rebuilding the indexes on Origin and Izumo? Getting no results at all on Izumo at the moment.

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Same for Origin, Vendor Search just keeps bringing me back to the main screen after a search.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the continuing clarification, Bleak... This is gonna be great!;)

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oceania has no Broadsword pick up at the bank, there is one on Atlantic, is there some delay on this per shard?

Is this three hour wait for the vendor search to work from the time the shard came up? or is it per account to 'build' the data base, and if so surely you don't have to be logged in for three hours?

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I'm getting search results for Balhae searches, but it's taking roughly 17 minutes from when I click "search" before I get a window of results... and if I try to load more results, it bombs out.

EDIT: 17 minutes per search was doing a simple name search. Next I tried the slightly harder "price 0-100000"; clicked search at 10:19:19, got results at 10:45:20, so a wait of 26 minutes 1 second... Something tells me the search SQL needs some serious tuning and love... :)

Last edited:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I must be doing something wrong. I put in the item name, search, wait a few minutes, then go back to the original screen with no results at all. I know I'm a slow study sometimes, but I didn't think I was this slow!

Last edited:

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I get something similar and don't get any results - last time I tried it (in my house) it told me I needed to be in my house. Go figure!

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it just doesnt work. times out every time for me. hopefully it will be fixed soon enough.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
sorry but this vendor search is not working on Oceania at all. Shard has been up for well over 12 or more hours since the easter gifts came in, and i have yet to 'see' the results screen. All I get is a box saying please wait while we search, then it reverts to the original search screen then nothing. I have yet to see a 'result' screen. I am searching for Essence Of Order which I can 'see' on a vendor to test it. I have tried it as written which is the actual title on the item, also in all lower case in case it is case sensitive. I know the stuff is there as I am looking at it.

Seems vendor search is totally FUBAR on our shard.

Someone else said they ran a search and 4 hours later a result screen came up. But everyone else I have asked says they get NOTHING, the same as me.

EDIT: Ok, after starting a search again for the 20th time, after 45-50 minutes later just as I am logging out I finally got a 'result' screen. I got the map, went to the vendor, and then tried to return. It says please 'accept' to return to where I came from, only thing is there is NO accept button, on the gump, just a 'create waypoint here' Trammel or Felucca button. Even tho I was in Tokuno. (I am in the EC (with pinko's))

Last edited:

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I must be doing something wrong. I put in the item name, search, wait a few minutes, then go back to the original screen with no results at all. I know I'm a slow study sometimes, but I didn't think I was this slow!
You may find, like I did, if you WAIT for close to an hour or more without logging your char out you might get a result screen. LOL, just hope you don't want to search for half a dozen items you will need a packed lunch and sleeping bag in front of your computer.

Pretty dismal, why do we have 'origin' isn't this stuff supposed to be tested on that shard before it goes to everyone?

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
It was working fine on Origin.
It worked fine on Origin and TC... BEFORE they put a patch in for the CC stuck search gump. Perhaps the changed code should have been tested on TC/Origin before pushing to full production shards. Anything that gets changed should be tested on TC/Origin first.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How long is the search 'supposed' to take. I mean at the moment on Oceania waiting nearly an hour to get the results of ONE search is not gonna fly. When I price stuff and want a comparison guide I may want to price 20-30 items in an hour, not ONE. The way it is working at the moment it would take me 30 hours and there are only 24 in a day.

Is it supposed to be in the time it would take a web page to load normally? If so is it that quick on your shards?

One guy waited 4 hours for one of his searches to appear. It is unusable as it is right now.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I don't think the problem has anything to do with the client patch. I think this was untestable until it hit all shards; the database with just Origin and Izumo was quite small - neither has much of a vendor population. Then 23 other shards, including Atlantic were added, and that database is suddenly exponentially larger. Thus searches which were quick on a small dataset suddenly bog down on a massively larger dataset.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I don't think the problem has anything to do with the client patch. I think this was untestable until it hit all shards; the database with just Origin and Izumo was quite small - neither has much of a vendor population. Then 23 other shards, including Atlantic were added, and that database is suddenly exponentially larger. Thus searches which were quick on a small dataset suddenly bog down on a massively larger dataset.
Nonsense.

The vendor search is supposed to search only one shard - the one your character is on. Test Center used Atlantic for the vendor search tests, so your point about Origin and Izumo databases being small doesn't quite hold up. There is no reason to believe that the database increased exponentially, unless for some reason the code is searching all shards on a single cloud server - which isn't supposed to happen.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Nonsense.

The vendor search is supposed to search only one shard - the one your character is on. Test Center used Atlantic for the vendor search tests, so your point about Origin and Izumo databases being small doesn't quite hold up. There is no reason to believe that the database increased exponentially, unless for some reason the code is searching all shards on a single cloud server - which isn't supposed to happen.
You're assuming that each shard is a separate database. I'm not; I'm assuming everything's in a single database, and that each item simply has a shard column as one of its fields. That'd explain why Iz and Origin stopped working yesterday, if they had to be rebuilt into this master dataset at the same time as all of the other shards' data. My guess is that the code is doing exactly as you suggest - searching across all shards, and only then limiting down that results set to the specific shard's results. Either that, or it's doing an AND search, with the shard field as one of the components of that initial search, in which case it still would be searching through everything, it'd just be the database engine itself doing the filtering before it ever returned a results set.

Personally, I doubt it'll be made public, but I'd be REALLY interested to see the schema being used behind the scenes here. :D

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I rarely go to the test center as the lag totally kills me, just trying to open a pack or move an item is excruciating and walking/moving around is hopeless, so generally need to rely on the US players to actually 'test' stuff. Glad to know that it is supposed to be quick and just hope they work out and fix what is making it impossible and unusable right now.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Something is obviously broken. Searches on TC which used the Atlantic database only took about 10 seconds to complete. It was very fast.
When did test use a database based on Atlantic? I only ever saw it using Great Lakes (and only Great Lakes) as a source.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
You're assuming that each shard is a separate database. I'm not; I'm assuming everything's in a single database, and that each item simply has a shard column as one of its fields. That'd explain why Iz and Origin stopped working yesterday, if they had to be rebuilt into this master dataset at the same time as all of the other shards' data. My guess is that the code is doing exactly as you suggest - searching across all shards, and only then limiting down that results set to the specific shard's results. Either that, or it's doing an AND search, with the shard field as one of the components of that initial search, in which case it still would be searching through everything, it'd just be the database engine itself doing the filtering before it ever returned a results set.

Personally, I doubt it'll be made public, but I'd be REALLY interested to see the schema being used behind the scenes here. :D
If you are correct, and I pray to God that you are wrong, then there is no hope for the vendor search and the original developer who designed that system should be ridiculed and someone should post disparaging remarks on their Facebook page. I can't imagine anyone who would design code like that.

I hope you are wrong!

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
When did test use a database based on Atlantic? I only ever saw it using Great Lakes (and only Great Lakes) as a source.
*scratches head* Okay, you could be correct about that. I don't play Atlantic or GL, so created a new character for TC.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you are correct, and I pray to God that you are wrong, then there is no hope for the vendor search and the original developer who designed that system should be ridiculed and someone should post disparaging remarks on their Facebook page. I can't imagine anyone who would design code like that.

I hope you are wrong!
It couldn't have been said better! There's no reason that, when shards are separate and distinct with regard to characters, items and houses, that their vendor databases would be joined. It unnecessarily overcomplicates things. And even if someone who shouldn't be doing database architecture threw together a massive one, when things should have been kept discrete, the most basic query (SQL or whatever) is still not that slow when returning results. At least, it shouldn't be...

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It couldn't have been said better! There's no reason that, when shards are separate and distinct with regard to characters, items and houses, that their vendor databases would be joined. It unnecessarily overcomplicates things. And even if someone who shouldn't be doing database architecture threw together a massive one, when things should have been kept discrete, the most basic query (SQL or whatever) is still not that slow when returning results. At least, it shouldn't be...

Unless you purposefully set it up that way for future use. Why build 24 (however many shards there are) separate databases, when you can just build and maintain 1.

If you eventually plan on merging shards, you wouldn't have to merge databases.

If you eventually plan on allowing cross shard searching (or purchasing), the database would already be built.

If you wanted to open a player run item store, and take say 10% of all sales, the database would already be present.

Maybe a single database for all UO data is actually future proofing???