• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 97 World Wide + Store Sale & Springtime Gifts

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Like these guys... sort of. :smile2:

View attachment 65804
One of the most fugly gifts every given... WAY too big... Always disliked them... either they needed to make the candle 3x fatter... or they needed to make it closer to the size of a tall candle... with a SMALL bow.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why is the pet training permanent? What if you mess up and train the wrong abilities, you'll have ruined a perfectly good pet! Bogus
While I don't understand why they needed to make this restriction (probably so that they don't have to code the respec option), it's not a big deal any more. Stats scale with control slots, so whatever pet you tame, after a couple of rounds of training, the end result for given options will be pretty much the same.
So no need to look for a good pet. Just tame the first you see.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The new taming mastery, does it split damage between the pet and the owner, or between different pets?

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thanks @DJAd

A more crappy Place was Most likely Not to find.

Iam wondering if These guys really want go Piss Off the Players in each possible way.

Looks like a plan to frustrate Players. Like:

Last week we pissed of the tamers with Our crazy pet revamp which WE rushed to Produktion even if dozens of ppl said it needs more time

This week we will Piss of collectors when WE Place the klicky machine somewhere near the end of the worlld where you need hours to collect your ****.

Oh yeah and next week we Piss Off some PvP Guys with putting in game **** like the imbueable glenda or some other overpowered unbalanced crap

And the week after that we Piss Off the idoc hunters with another stupid Change like the 5 10 15 dogpoop

And after that we Ruin PVM with some **** like Listeing to some crying in u Hall from some PvP guys and "nerve" something which is fine

And finally we screw over Events with refflect physical Bosses which eat all melee fighters and Dragons in a heartbeat and to give you the Rest make Huge area damage and freeze you that you Event cant escape.

For me this all Sounds Like they want that I Close my Accounts and say **** you....

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The new taming mastery, does it split damage between the pet and the owner, or between different pets?
Between 2 or more pets, it says in the mouse over gump in the book. Not tested it yet and I only have 1 pet that wasn't a 5 slot already....

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Between 2 or more pets, it says in the mouse over gump in the book. Not tested it yet and I only have 1 pet that wasn't a 5 slot already....
I was just a bit confused by the statement that it works when near the owner. But this is great. Maype my pack of hellhounds will become viable (viablish?) finally.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Thanks @DJAd

Iam wondering if These guys really want go Piss Off the Players in each possible way.

Last week we pissed of the tamers with Our crazy pet revamp which WE rushed to Produktion even if dozens of ppl said it needs more time

This week we will Piss of collectors when WE Place the klicky machine somewhere near the end of the worlld where you need hours to collect your ****.

Oh yeah and next week we Piss Off some PvP Guys with putting in game **** like the imbueable glenda or some other overpowered unbalanced crap

And the week after that we Piss Off the idoc hunters with another stupid Change like the 5 10 15 dogpoop

And after that we Ruin PVM with some **** like Listeing to some crying in u Hall from some PvP guys and "nerve" something which is fine

And finally we screw over Events with refflect physical Bosses which eat all melee fighters and Dragons in a heartbeat and to give you the Rest make Huge area damage and freeze you that you Event cant escape.

For me this all Sounds Like they want that I Close my Accounts and say shawarma you....
Justice Falls is a 2 minute run from Yew Moongate....and it's been used in a few events in the past...seriously :/

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
You only need 12 for a full set so...

And they don't stack, so you can't even have a pile of 60.000 of each either. :tongue:

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
2 mins *25+ shards * 7 characters * x accounts? do the math
Even if you don't have a rune book of shrines, I am sure you have access to a rune library somewhere. The site is a spitting distance away from a justice shrine.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Even if you don't have a rune book of shrines, I am sure you have access to a rune library somewhere. The site is a spitting distance away from a justice shrine.
Exactly you can practically see it from the shrine. Most any decent rune library probably has a rune right there. On GLs I know that the Nameless Rune Library located just South of the Trammel Yew Gate conveniently has a rune locked down in the middle of the first floor... labeled Yew Falls...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally I thought about getting some on every shard... but then ..... there aren't any rares... they are pretty but not something you'd want a zillion of... and since I don't have a house to display them on other shards I fail to see the point... worked really hard to get the 2 full sets on GLs... but was 1 Swan short... went to Atl and tried to get the swan I was missing but to no avail... asked around got a trade and was finished.

I do have some extra's but IMO that's not horrible... I can give those one by one to friends and such that didn't get any... or missed out and I can display some.. but I don't need any more.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Too bad I cant have 175 + pets. But I can bring 175+ swans to LS. That's really messed up priorities.
You can't have 175+ pets across 7 toons per 25+ shards? I'm pretty sure you can.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Thanks @DJAd

For me this all Sounds Like they want that I Close my Accounts and say shawarma you....
It's actually not the first time they've put clickies up there, though I can't recall offhand which ones were there. Only one I do remember offhand is a Siege EM greetings sash. If you happen to carry a runebook of shrines, it's actually pretty easy to get to. :)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can't have 175+ pets across 7 toons per 25+ shards? I'm pretty sure you can.
Too bad I cant have 175 + pets. But I can bring 175+ swans to LS. That's really messed up priorities.

You didn't respond to the bold part. My stable was already full. I cant bring 175 pets to LS and put them in a full stable.

I have tamed five new pet types just for fun. If you see Lions in Destard, I know why. Too bad I cant keep any.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

You didn't respond to the bold part. My stable was already full. I cant bring 175 pets to LS and put them in a full stable.

I have tamed five new pet types just for fun. If you see Lions in Destard, I know why. Too bad I cant keep any.
Make room in your stable. Get a pet stall and trade vanity collector pets to toons that aren't primarily tamers. You're not getting 175 pets per toon and you're just going to have to learn to deal with it. I don't feel bad for pet hoarders if the new stable expansions aren't enough.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You're not getting 175 pets per toon and you're just going to have to learn to deal with it. I don't feel bad for pet hoarders if the new stable expansions aren't enough.
This publish introduced many new tamable pets. It made many more old pets viable. And the training options totally justify having multiple versions of the same pet with different abilities. And this was done why again? So that tamers could tame 21 more pets (if they are willing to pay for 3 slots a token) and then get bored again? What about the ones that can't or won't buy the tokens? The taming revamp is just wasted on them?
Why bother with all this coding and art and testing if you severely limit access to it? Is there a rational reason for limits so out of proportion to content other than "I don't feel bad for pet hoarders?"
And why is it OK to have use the impractical workarounds such as pet stalls or non-tamer storage, but not ok to just let tamers store all these pets where they belong - in the tamer's stables?
Oh and one more thing. I have 2 tamers. Both had their stables full prior to this publish. I do not own a single collectible or vanity pet. All my pets got use depending on circumstances and mood. I don't quite understand why I should get rid of any of them to experience the new publish.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This publish introduced many new tamable pets. It made many more old pets viable. And the training options totally justify having multiple versions of the same pet with different abilities. And this was done why again? So that tamers could tame 21 more pets (if they are willing to pay for 3 slots a token) and then get bored again? What about the ones that can't or won't buy the tokens? The taming revamp is just wasted on them?
Why bother with all this coding and art and testing if you severely limit access to it? Is there a rational reason for limits so out of proportion to content other than "I don't feel bad for pet hoarders?"
And why is it OK to have use the impractical workarounds such as pet stalls or non-tamer storage, but not ok to just let tamers store all these pets where they belong - in the tamer's stables?
Oh and one more thing. I have 2 tamers. Both had their stables full prior to this publish. I do not own a single collectible or vanity pet. All my pets got use depending on circumstances and mood. I don't quite understand why I should get rid of any of them to experience the new publish.
IMO the restrictions are just to make a buck... but then they further restrict it to only getting to buy 7 per character. And even more asinine is making the tokens PER tamer... not account. But guess that's what we are going to now... pay to play. If you don't pay up... you won't get to enjoy the new stuff. Sad.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Make room in your stable. Get a pet stall and trade vanity collector pets to toons that aren't primarily tamers. You're not getting 175 pets per toon and you're just going to have to learn to deal with it. I don't feel bad for pet hoarders if the new stable expansions aren't enough.
Dayum. Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning?

And exactly what negative impact does it have on your game if tamers did have 175 slots??? I mean, other than making you mad that they got it, how will it effect you? Lag? Storage usage? Both those reasonings are laughable in this day of technology. Dev time? Setting a field limit shouldn't be too complicated, I wouldnt think...even with old code that no one can seem to manipulate but kids in basements.

This is a money grab, ain't nothing else you can call it and keep a straight face...

kazeandi

Adventurer
I wouldn't call it a restriction of the Tamer per se, but there's no reason for so few stable slots.

Tamers are all about pets.
We find them, raise them, give them names, stable them and sometimes take them out for a ride.

Looking at it purely from a game mechanical point of view, there would be tons of easier ways to make Tamers stronger. Make the mastery absorb damage or direct damage taken to the pet or give Tamers a runspeed buff or give pets a lifeleech that also heals the Tamer. There, done.

This patch is not intended to make us more powerful (some pet configs will do that to some degree, as a side effect), it's there to give Tamers more to do than taming GDs. It's a fun patch.

Pets being the focus of the core template, adding a variety of them to our arsenal makes it less boring. More game play choices, however minor, more min-maxing options, more color.

Restricting the number of stable slots however doesn't do anything for anyone, Tamer or not. That's why I'm in favor of cheap (500-ish Sov) stable slot packs for the whole account.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was just a bit confused by the statement that it works when near the owner. But this is great. Maype my pack of hellhounds will become viable (viablish?) finally.
"As One" splits any damage taken between all of your pets. I was running "As One" on my Fire Beetle, Crimson Drake and Platinum Drake while fighting an Allosaurus. The Allosaurus would normally do 51 damage per hit to my Crimson Drake, but with "As One" running, it split the damage between all 3 of my pets, for 17 damage per. Problem is, "As One" devours Mana like there's no tomorrow, you definitely cannot keep it up indefinitely like you can with Consume Damage. Even with real 120 Taming/120 Lore, Vol 3 Primer and 40% LMC, "As One" was consuming 12 Mana every tick (every 3 secs or so), which my 80 Med and 14 MR couldn't keep up with, so i'd run out of Mana after about a minute of channeling "As One".

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
You now have the option to expand your stables to be able to experience the new publish. No one is preventing you from doing that. Simply because stables weren't increased to 100+ slots doesn't block you out of experiencing the publish. Even in the event you don't make the purchases, I would imagine some of your existing pets are training able using the new skills developed in the publish. I also have a hard time believing you use all 42 pets regularly. Sometimes you have to make the tough decision of letting something go. That's a part of life and it's apart of UO.

Dayum. Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning?

And exactly what negative impact does it have on your game if tamers did have 175 slots??? I mean, other than making you mad that they got it, how will it effect you? Lag? Storage usage? Both those reasonings are laughable in this day of technology. Dev time? Setting a field limit shouldn't be too complicated, I wouldnt think...even with old code that no one can seem to manipulate but kids in basements.

This is a money grab, ain't nothing else you can call it and keep a straight face...
"Money grab" aka... the beginning of a move to a "free to play" model. And there is nothing wrong with that. I find it ironic that people have been calling for a move to F2P for a couple of years now, and as soon as the introduce elements of a F2P model to see how it works out, they cry foul.

No use even arguing it any further - we all know what the result is going to be. The developers didn't see it your way. They were smart to make this a multi-purchase option. Generating revenue is a good thing for the game overall if we want it to last.

It also doesn't matter WHAT the developers do or introduce. People will cry about and criticize all new content, no matter how good it is.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You now have the option to expand your stables to be able to experience the new publish. No one is preventing you from doing that. Simply because stables weren't increased to 100+ slots doesn't block you out of experiencing the publish. Even in the event you don't make the purchases, I would imagine some of your existing pets are training able using the new skills developed in the publish. I also have a hard time believing you use all 42 pets regularly. Sometimes you have to make the tough decision of letting something go. That's a part of life and it's apart of UO.

"Money grab" aka... the beginning of a move to a "free to play" model. And there is nothing wrong with that. I find it ironic that people have been calling for a move to F2P for a couple of years now, and as soon as the introduce elements of a F2P model to see how it works out, they cry foul.

No use even arguing it any further - we all know what the result is going to be. The developers didn't see it your way. They were smart to make this a multi-purchase option. Generating revenue is a good thing for the game overall if we want it to last.

It also doesn't matter WHAT the developers do or introduce. People will cry about and criticize all new content, no matter how good it is.
If I remember correctly many (majority?) were against f2p. The last time that topic came up.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
P2W is one thing...
Subscription based PLUS P2W is another...
Straddlin' the fence gives you a sore crotch-they need to go one or the other, and stick with it
Hell, if we last another year we will probably be paying the store for anni gifts and holiday gifts at this rate...

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No 21 extra slots do not block me from experiencing new publish. But given hundreds of new variations they severely limit it.
And tough decisions that are part of life? Seriously? This tough decision is similar to "You have to make a hard choice. You can either have access to Ilshenar or Ter Mur. But not both. Because life is hard. And so are we."
Hard for the sake of hard is silly. When it's not just hard, but prevents people from doing their favorite in game activity, it's harmful to the game.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Just a reminder

It is a part of life to have to make choices and decide between things. The decision are what define us.

The results of those decisions are what educate us for the time we need to make a decision.

Make some choices, experience your decisions.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Sorry I have to reply to this part. You want to see some worthless ******** items, come to my house. I have a chest of items with charges from long ago, every ToT item I ever got, a bunch of dyes I will never use. Want a bottle of pale blue or fresh plum, I got that. But I have NO room for any of new pets. I have not experienced that bold part of UO life until now. I really don't understand why you personally care how many pets someone has. Are you jealous? If the devs gave us 10 new stable spots for free tomorrow, would you complain? Please answer this.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Please give us a link to show where UO is moving to F2P or don't use your moderator account to post speculation.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Please give us a link to show where UO is moving to F2P or don't use your moderator account to post speculation.
It's been said by Mesanna several times she has "hinted" at the upcoming "Endless Journey"... which certainly MORE than implies that they intend to make trial accounts never expire... Which IMO is F2P...

Edit: And I for 1 have NEVER thought this was EVER a good Idea... I have NOT supported it nor have I asked for it... IMO it would only be used by mostly scripters and bots... and I think we have MORE then plenty of them using free accounts anyway.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's been said by Mesanna several times she has "hinted" at the upcoming "Endless Journey"... which certainly MORE than implies that they intend to make trial accounts never expire... Which IMO is F2P...
Well those hints don't carry a lot of weight when 2 years later we are still waiting on the account mismanagement upgrade

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well those hints don't carry a lot of weight when 2 years later we are still waiting on the account mismanagement upgrade
I know ... but she's still talking about this one they don't talk anymore about the account Mismanagment crap... They just built a "help" thing directed at helping folk get through the account mismanagment which 9 times out of 10 doesn't ever work...

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
You can either have access to Ilshenar or Ter Mur. But not both. Because life is hard. And so are we."
No it's not. Your comparison of not being able to have 175+ pet slots is no where close to that. That's snowflake talk.

I never said they were, I said they were simply testing elements of it. The in-game store is indicative of that.

Furthermore, see the podcast in the link here: Ultima The Endless Journey Account?

And as Malagaste has already pointed out - these things come straight from Mesanna's mouth. I don't know if you could call it true 100% "free to play", but they're certainly indicating that they're on the path to offering other options than the traditional subscription model.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
"Money grab" aka... the beginning of a move to a "free to play" model. And there is nothing wrong with that. I find it ironic that people have been calling for a move to F2P for a couple of years now, and as soon as the introduce elements of a F2P model to see how it works out, they cry foul.will cry about and criticize all new content, no matter how good it is.
Plenty of people have been vehemently arguing AGAINST any sort of F2P model for just as long. A change like that could and very well might, depending on implementation, change the core of the game beyond recognition. If that is indeed the direction they are going, I hope they consider very carefully what they are intending to do and how to keep abuse to a minimum.

As for the stable slots-- what does it hurt to give people a bunch more? 10 more? 100 more? 1000 more? It doesn't affect anyone else's gameplay how many stable slots another player has, so I don't know why some people are so eager to tell interested people to "get over it". Increasing stable slots is a quality of life issue for players who want to actually, you know, tame and train animals instead of just warehousing pets that have specific value to the player, whether it be functional or sentimental. If collecting pets is meaningful to someone, how is that any less valid than collecting gold or EM items or holiday gifts or whatever else they want to collect?

It's like the old bank checks--they presented a major storage and logistical issue for some people. Some players were dismissive of that. The checks worked just fine for plenty of players, and some people decried anyone's need for more gold storage, because who needs more than a whole bank box of 1M checks? In the end, we all got the upgraded system and money trade, no one got hurt, and those who needed and wanted more/better storage have it. We all benefited, even if not all of us needed it. Should those players have just "gotten over it" and thrown their gold--and essentially all the effort and time they put into acquiring it--in the trash?

If there's an actual programming reason for the seemingly arbitrary cutoff, then so be it. But if there's not, then why does it matter how high the limit is, and why do some people feel the need to put down the requests of those who want it?

Furthermore, any argument that counts the total number of characters an account has at max stable slots (which requires max taming skill on each character) is disingenuous and frankly absurd. I'm not storing an extra greater dragon on a sampire on another shard, and I doubt just about anyone is. I have a real skill 120/120/120 tamer on Chesapeake--and her stable is full. I'm not resetting the bond timers, scrolling up and soul stoning my taming to each character and spreading my pets over multiple characters or even multiple shards, building a spreadsheet to keep track of them, or whatever "life is hard" philosophizers who clearly aren't interested anyway think is reasonable. I just won't tame anything new and will continue to lose interest and be disappointed in content. That's what we're talking about here. Quality of life.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No it's not. Your comparison of not being able to have 175+ pet slots is no where close to that. That's snowflake talk.
There is no 175 slots. My Sampire will not keep pets in his stable and neither will my mage because it's dangerous and there is no good reason for me to have to do this. My tamer is being offered 21 slots which will probably cost an arm and a leg to accommodate many dozens of pets and abilities combinations. I see tamers on my shard today not taming because their stables are full. This will happen again once the new 21 fill up. And I have yet to hear a reason that makes sense for introducing content and artificially limiting access to it.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
For your information, Irk, Guile and Spite now also cast essence of the wind and thunderstorm.
I believe Dreadhorn will also make use of those spells now as well, in line with the new spellweaving AI for pets.
If Dreadhorn has 120 spellweaving, this could prove to be a bit troubling.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Dreadhorn stats:
dreadnew01.png dreadnew02.png dreadnew03.png
dreadnew04.png dreadnew05.png dreadnew06.png

He casts as if he has a level 6 focus, so his thunderstorm and essence of wind spells can slow you down significantly.
Luckily, with a fully trained 5 slots rune beetle with chivalry siding my macer, dispatching him wasn't a problem at all.
He still only loses 1% from his resists and 1.4% of his skills when discorded, though.
That spellweaving drops to 118 if you discord him.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just curious - I've been busy this past week (more so than I expected) andh aven't had a chance to log in - can you still get gifts on Origin/Atlantic?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just curious - I've been busy this past week (more so than I expected) andh aven't had a chance to log in - can you still get gifts on Origin/Atlantic?
Sorry they are done already... up 5 days.