• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 97 Comes to TC1

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings, We are pleased to announce the first iteration of Publish 97 will be coming to TC1 later this afternoon! Included in this first release of Publish 97 is the much-anticipated pet revamp. Make sure you patch up to the latest client before heading over to TC1. We had several core goals going in to the pet revamp with regard to pets including, Ensuring the Greater Dragon is still a viable pet for those that have and wish to continue to use them. Allow greater diversity of pets that are effective by looking at their survivablilty and allowing animal tamers […]

Continue reading...

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • New Tameable Creatures
      • Shadow Wyrm
      • Phoenix
      • Dragon Wolf
      • Dimetrosaur
      • Gallusaurus
      • Saurosurus
      • Serpentine Dragon
      • Najasaurus
      • Dread Spider
      • Tsuki Wolf
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The only thing I'm not liking about this is that our current pets cannot be trained...

Also the one thing I AM liking about this is that we have to go tame new ones....

Can't wait to test this out, thanks team!

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The only thing I'm not liking about this is that our current pets cannot be trained...

Also the one thing I AM liking about this is that we have to go tame new ones....
I think they grossly underestimate how attached some people are to specific virtual pets.

The inability to train/improve current pets (if true) may doom this update in many people's eyes.

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The inability to train/improve current pets (if true) may doom this update in many people's eyes.
I think you misunderstand the publish notes...

• Existing pets will retain their current control slot requirement.
  • Newly tamed pets and pets that undergo the Animal Training process will have their control slot requirement updated.
In my understanding, this just means that existing pets will not change, unless you make them undergo animal training.

Need to copy an existing pet to TC to try...

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I think they grossly underestimate how attached some people are to specific virtual pets.

Honestly, I keep hoping that something dreadful turns up on TC and they scrap the entire idea of a pet revamp, reworking things for the sake of reworking things isn't delivering new content, and only over complicates existing content unnecessarily.

Ox_AO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Will the Dimetrosaur tamed have 3700 hit points? they start at around 7500 hit points? Or will it be similar to the turtle spawn version that has far less hit points?

This will dismount and mortal strike? They seem to have similar resistances to a greater dragon.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I think you misunderstand the publish notes...

In my understanding, this just means that existing pets will not change, unless you make them undergo animal training.

Need to copy an existing pet to TC to try...
You have to go through a quest to do the animal training

Part one...tame a pet.

Training.jpg

(note, if your pet dies, cancel the quest and start over)

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Confirmed.

You cannot train current 5 slot pets. My G.dragon doesn't even have the option on the lore gump, while a freshly tamed mongbat does. An old 2 slot tiger can he trained, however.

*stocks up on Kleenex for the tamers she knows*

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You have to go through a quest to do the animal training

Part one...tame a pet.

View attachment 63807

(note, if your pet dies, cancel the quest and start over)
But what comes after that?

Here is where I seem to be stuck on TC

upload_2017-3-16_15-37-12.png
I take that to mean "go fight stuff" and he will gain. I have fought things from cows to arctic ogre lords, but I am not showing ANY gains:

upload_2017-3-16_15-39-1.png

Anybody have any idea?

Thanks!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I'm gonna call it now. In a few months time after the dust and bugs have settled the majority of people will still be using GD's.
I agree with you there, but that's not even my complaint. People keep saying UO needs new players, but the constant overhauling of everything is simply skewing the game play progression curve which only promotes unattended macroing and running skill training scripts as an alternative. There isn't enough engaging low to intermediate content to support any new players that may try the game. If they want to revitalize the game to any extent they need to shore up a foundation of engaging content for everyone, not only focus on the advanced players.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
But what comes after that?

Here is where I seem to be stuck on TC

View attachment 63808
I take that to mean "go fight stuff" and he will gain. I have fought things from cows to arctic ogre lords, but I am not showing ANY gains:

View attachment 63809

Anybody have any idea?

Thanks!
Yeah I think you just kill stuff until it's done training..I'm assuming it will take awhile for this to happen.

I am training a unicorn..started with gore fiends and flesh golems then went to the trails to kill solens for awhile..I've only been at it about a half hour...arctic ogre lords are still a bit too much for him though I've only killed one. I'm trying to get his tactics and anatomy up a bit more first.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yeah I think you just kill stuff until it's done training..I'm assuming it will take awhile for this to happen.

I am training a unicorn..started with gore fiends and flesh golems then went to the trails to kill solens for awhile..I've only been at it about a half hour...arctic ogre lords are still a bit too much for him though I've only killed one. I'm trying to get his tactics and anatomy up a bit more first.
Are you seeing ANY gain on the "Pet Training Progress" tab though?

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Will the Dimetrosaur tamed have 3700 hit points? they start at around 7500 hit points? Or will it be similar to the turtle spawn version that has far less hit points?

This will dismount and mortal strike? They seem to have similar resistances to a greater dragon.
I just tamed one that had about 7400 HP before taming. After taming 1000 HP exactly. So I am guessing they max at 1000. Just a guess though. :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can see Dimetrosaurs and Shadow Wyrms to be the first hit with a Giant Nerf bat... As many problems as they have with just the current pets used with masteries using area effects both these will be nerfed soon.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
A little disappointed in all the nagging-nabobs of negativity who have to rip on the publish before it's even come out and been tested for more than a few days.

I am excited for this publish. A lot of people have been looking forward to it. I hope they leave GD's alone and make some other pets viable, while keeping GD's still a top tier pet. I am curious to see the diversity of options of how we can actually customize the various combinations and stats.

Yes - it's going to have bugs and need adjustments. Yes - it's not going to be perfect at first and they will probably get some things wrong, but constructive feedback and suggestions will be helpful to the developers and everyone else who tests this out. I hope a lot of testing is done and this isn't taken lightly. Changing pets and taming will affect a lot of people - so I would hope to see a nice long testing window, similar to how much time was given to testing the last round of PVP changes.

A preemptive thank you to @Bleak and @Kyronix for the work they've already put in and the upcoming work that will come with making changes and updates!

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A little disappointed in all the nagging-nabobs of negativity who have to rip on the publish before it's even come out and been tested for more than a few days.

I am excited for this publish. A lot of people have been looking forward to it. I hope they leave GD's alone and make some other pets viable, while keeping GD's still a top tier pet. I am curious to see the diversity of options of how we can actually customize the various combinations and stats.

Yes - it's going to have bugs and need adjustments. Yes - it's not going to be perfect at first and they will probably get some things wrong, but constructive feedback and suggestions will be helpful to the developers and everyone else who tests this out. I hope a lot of testing is done and this isn't taken lightly. Changing pets and taming will affect a lot of people - so I would hope to see a nice long testing window, similar to how much time was given to testing the last round of PVP changes.

A preemptive thank you to @Bleak and @Kyronix for the work they've already put in and the upcoming work that will come with making changes and updates!
I get it. A bit better now since @Kyronix told us that there WAS a problem with pets not gaining, and the shard is now down to fix that. I "jumped the gun". My bad.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Shards down to fix the issue with pets not training properly....if you have questions seriously go on TC and ask Kyronix he's going to be there all night and he's answering tons of questions.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Shards down to fix the issue with pets not training properly....if you have questions seriously go on TC and ask Kyronix he's going to be there all night and he's answering tons of questions.
Someone should suggest he post some of them with answers so he doesn't need to constantly reanswer the same ones over and over. Save his fingers some strain.

@Kyronix

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I get it. A bit better now since @Kyronix told us that there WAS a problem with pets not gaining, and the shard is now down to fix that. I "jumped the gun". My bad.
Certainly wasn't geared toward anyone in particular... I just hope we can all give it a chance and provide the constructive feed back needed to make this a good publish.

As much as anyone else, I don't want Taming to take a turn for the worse by screwing up pets or making the training system too complicated... I expect there to be bugs (looks like one has already been identified), tweaks needed and for those tweaks to then have to be tested. We need to attempt to break it so we know what to patch up.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Someone should suggest he post some of them with answers so he doesn't need to constantly reanswer the same ones over and over. Save his fingers some strain.

@Kyronix
We'll be on TC1 for most of the evening, I encourage everyone to head over and check things out and give their feedback there. We are extremely early in the testing phase here and the most valuable feedback is from those who we can interact with in real time on TC1 rather than discussions on the forum with quick changes likely this early on. Thanks!

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see no progress at all even on fresh tamed mongbat or old nightmare after killing about 10 or so skeletons at Heaven.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I see no progress at all even on fresh tamed mongbat or old nightmare after killing about 10 or so skeletons at Heaven.
Ohh it's gonna take more then that!!!

Me and Keith have been killing arctic ogre lords for about 30 minutes now and we are both still at 1%

Also the issue with loring during combat

combat.jpg

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ohh it's gonna take more then that!!!

Me and Keith have been killing arctic ogre lords for about 30 minutes now and we are both still at 1%

Also the issue with loring during combat

View attachment 63812
Um... that's a HUGE issue... what are you supposed to do have someone else there to lore your pet? How are you supposed to check it's progress?

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Um... that's a HUGE issue... what are you supposed to do have someone else there to lore your pet? How are you supposed to check it's progress?
It doesn't happen all the time...and once you're pet is done fighting whatever it's fighting it comes up just fine.

orgin.jpg

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think they figure that since most everyone eventually got over losing their pre-patch pets to the infamous Mondain's Legacy pet poofing bug, that they'll get over this too.

*Disclaimer* I never got over the ML pet bug.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Quick question, what's the status of Stabling pets with the new system?
Is it 1 pet = 1 stable slot no matter how much it's trained or what??

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't say stuff like that. Those creepy squirrel invaders will start showing up in the thread. :eyes:
Seems i'm not the only one hoping.
An hour ago there were 7 Albino crystals for sale on Europa.......now there is only 1. :D

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Quick question, what's the status of Stabling pets with the new system?
Is it 1 pet = 1 stable slot no matter how much it's trained or what??
GDs are 5 slot pets and only take 1 stable slot so why would you think they would change that.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So when do we get Poke Balls? Is a Wizard by the name of Mr. Oaks going to take care of all my new pets?