• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 93 Available World Wide

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I understand the items are there but now there is no way to give players soulstones for in-game gold. Those were a good selling item.
The Soulstones on the store say they give you a token.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How are they over priced when a Token cost $10 and all the selections are 1000 Sov.? You do understand that 1 Sov. = $.01.
I think most can agree the Shroud + Charger are not worth $10. They never have been.

The Soulstones? Sure, and thats why anyone ever bought Legacy Tokens.

Im surprised people thought they would change prices + have new stuff available now. I fully expected it to firstly just be the current store placed ingame. Once they get the kinks out and have it running for awhile, then maybe I can forsee possible updates.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think most can agree the Shroud + Charger are not worth $10. They never have been.

The Soulstones? Sure, and thats why anyone ever bought Legacy Tokens.

Im surprised people thought they would change prices + have new stuff available now. I fully expected it to firstly just be the current store placed ingame. Once they get the kinks out and have it running for awhile, then maybe I can forsee possible updates.
Yes they may/may not have been over priced the price did not change like some people are trying to say.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How are they over priced when a Token cost $10 and all the selections are 1000 Sov.? You do understand that 1 Sov. = $.01.
Yes. But that has nothing to do with the fact that most of the store's items are ridiculously overpriced for a 19yo game. The soulstones and the forged tool might be worth $10, but they'd sell more if they dropped them to $5-7.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I dont think they ever implied the prices would be changing, atleast not yet.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes. But that has nothing to do with the fact that most of the store's items are ridiculously overpriced for a 19yo game. The soulstones and the forged tool might be worth $10, but they'd sell more if they dropped them to $5-7.
IMHO no they would not sell more because this has been the price for so long that EA/BS/UO knows we will pay it.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IMHO no they would not sell more because this has been the price for so long that EA/BS/UO knows we will pay it.
Then you fail to understand basic economics. Lower price tends to equal more sales, especially of consumables.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Then you fail to understand basic economics. Lower price tends to equal more sales, especially of consumables.
REALLY Why would I sell something at a reduced price when I already know that they sell at the price I have them at? You think you know more about pricing than a company like EA, IMHO I do not think so or better yet maybe you need to apply to be EA's new CEO and show them how it is really done. If they throw in a sale now and then people will buy a little more than normal but to say that reducing prices will guarantee more sales over the long run is an opinion not fact.

Balinor of Pk?

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm in the same boat I have a name change token code and it wont fit. The gm said they are aware of the issue (the box is too small to enter the code) they said they are in the process of fixing it. but when it actually works is anyones guess lol.
Oh god. Here we go. Then I contacted EA, and the complete idiot behind the live chat probly screwed it up even more. Applying it to my Origin account or some strange thing he said. He was like, "YAY I REDEEMED YOUR CODE." Ok so which shard and account is it on so I can get the token? ...................silence I'm having a hard time believing that not ONE person tested an origin store code in the too small window during testing? Really, not one person? Would you people there at Broadsword please adopt the military way of doing things. Standard operating procedures. Every patch, test the token codes. Seriously people... Didn't someone have to create that window, and they didn't think, hey, maybe I should check the length of the text box against the length of a code? I can't even believe I'm shocked at this. How on earth could I be shocked about this after all these years.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
All lower prices do is devalue the product and often times give you lower quality... well, at least in my line of work anyway. I can sit on my butt and go broke at home, no way am I going to work 8-12 hours a day to go broke.. so it is all relative imho.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
REALLY Why would I sell something at a reduced price when I already know that they sell at the price I have them at? You think you know more about pricing than a company like EA, IMHO I do not think so or better yet maybe you need to apply to be EA's new CEO and show them how it is really done. If they throw in a sale now and then people will buy a little more than normal but to say that reducing prices will guarantee more sales over the long run is an opinion not fact.
You invalidate your argument with the ad hominems.

Nearly every time that there has been a sale on UO items (the last of which was last May), they've SOLD OUT their stocks of codes. SOLD. THE. PANCAKE. OUT.

This clearly demonstrates that players will buy more if things are sold at a lesser price.

Since UO items have practically zero overhead once they're created, they are PURE profit. Selling more of them, even at a reduced pure profit price = more profit.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All lower prices do is devalue the product and often times give you lower quality... well, at least in my line of work anyway. I can sit on my butt and go broke at home, no way am I going to work 8-12 hours a day to go broke.. so it is all relative imho.
You can't devalue copy and paste code/pixels in such a manner. The comparison like apples to space shuttles.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't someone have to create that window, and they didn't think, hey, maybe I should check the length of the text box against the length of a code? I can't even believe I'm shocked at this. How on earth could I be shocked about this after all these years.
+1

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
You can't devalue copy and paste code/pixels in such a manner. The comparison like apples to space shuttles.

I can agree to disagree with ya there Dot...

Pixels are Intellectual Property *shrugs* devalue the cost of them and .. yeah.. *shrugs*

..no different than an artist devaluing their paintings to get more sold.. folks will always hold out to watch the price drop more.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You invalidate your argument with the ad hominems.

Nearly every time that there has been a sale on UO items (the last of which was last May), they've SOLD OUT their stocks of codes. SOLD. THE. PANCAKE. OUT.

This clearly demonstrates that players will buy more if things are sold at a lesser price.

Since UO items have practically zero overhead once they're created, they are PURE profit. Selling more of them, even at a reduced pure profit price = more profit.
That is your opinion and it is just an opinion and the reason the codes sell out so fast is because there are so few codes to begin with, if those were the everyday prices then sells would stay the same. Yes their profit may or may not go up right now but there is no way to sustain the revenue that will be lost after the novelty is lost. UO does not have a large enough player baser to make up the money lost to EA over the long run. If things cost less in-game than EA will not sell as many Sov. and EA will lose money. Sales create impulse buying and never prove that at a reduced price sales will go up because the impulse is gone.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can agree to disagree with ya there Dot...

Pixels are Intellectual Property *shrugs* devalue the cost of them and .. yeah.. *shrugs*

..no different than an artist devaluing their paintings to get more sold.. folks will always hold out to watch the price drop more.
I would agree with you if for the fact there is an unlimited supply of these items and only a single point of distribution. Since most of the items are consumables, their tenure as "art" is brief. Its not as if GrimmOmen and Onifirk hand drew and signed each item, while their respective coders rewrote the code each time.

Were these physical items with a continued need for manufacturing, storage and distribution price would fluctuate based on those factors.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is your opinion and it is just an opinion and the reason the codes sell out so fast is because there are so few codes to begin with, if those were the everyday prices then sells would stay the same.
No, that is a baseless assumption on your part.

The codes sell out because more people make more purchases during a sale. They've even posted about it here...multiple times. You can't dispute that fact, its a time-tested economic truth.

Yes their profit may or may not go up right now but there is no way to sustain the revenue that will be lost after the novelty is lost. UO does not have a large enough player baser to make up the money lost to EA over the long run. If things cost less in-game than EA will not sell as many Sov. and EA will lose money.
I will reiterate here that UO is a 19 year old game. Its not WoW. It will never have the playerbase of WoW, subscriptions numbers have been on a shockingly noticeable downward trend since '10. You can't honestly charge for things in UO like you can in most other games without looking greedy.

I might be concerned with EA losing profits from UO item sales if they actually bothered to reinvest any into the game. Such as a little marketing, revamping the website in less than the 3 years it took them, or lighting a fire under someone to make the account management site less of a steaming pile.

Sales create impulse buying and never prove that at a reduced price sales will go up because the impulse is gone.
Yes, sales create impulse buying, but they also allow retail outlets to move their stock thus reducing overheads. EA doesn't have that issue with virtual items, again pure profit. Saying that lower prices doesn't equal more item purchases is simply denying reality.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No, that is a baseless assumption on your part.

The codes sell out because more people make more purchases during a sale. They've even posted about it here...multiple times. You can't dispute that fact, its a time-tested economic truth.

I will reiterate here that UO is a 19 year old game. Its not WoW. It will never have the playerbase of WoW, subscriptions numbers have been on a shockingly noticeable downward trend since '10. You can't honestly charge for things in UO like you can in most other games without looking greedy.

I might be concerned with EA losing profits from UO item sales if they actually bothered to reinvest any into the game. Such as a little marketing, revamping the website in less than the 3 years it took them, or lighting a fire under someone to make the account management site less of a steaming pile.

Yes, sales create impulse buying, but they also allow retail outlets to move their stock thus reducing overheads. EA doesn't have that issue with virtual items, again pure profit. Saying that lower prices doesn't equal more item purchases is simply denying reality.
Believe what ever you want to believe. I have worked in retail and sold 2 businesses and having a sale may bring in short term cash flow it will not sustain your business at a profit for long. Prices are based on what the market will support not on what you think an item is worth. EA has always been in the business of milking every penny out of every game it has ever owned and it is a fact that if EA thought for one second that it could milk the UO player base out of more money by reducing prices than EA would have already done it. Why did EA raise its SUB price because it knew we would pay it, plain and simple. We may not like EA but EA is very good at what it does, milking every penny out of every customer it can.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Believe what ever you want to believe. I have worked in retail and sold 2 businesses and having a sale may bring in short term cash flow it will not sustain your business at a profit for long. Prices are based on what the market will support not on what you think an item is worth. EA has always been in the business of milking every penny out of every game it has ever owned and it is a fact that if EA thought for one second that it could milk the UO player base out of more money by reducing prices than EA would have already done it. Why did EA raise its SUB price because it knew we would pay it, plain and simple. We may not like EA but EA is very good at what it does, milking every penny out of every customer it can.
UO is not a small business. Item shop sales don't follow the same rules as an actual store selling physical goods. Equating the two will never work as their realities are completely dissimilar. Item sales are pure gravy, they cannot possibly "lose" money on them (barring the creation of a dud item nobody wants).

If you want to shill for corporate greed and argue for EA's continued plundering of the masses, that's on your conscience.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
we are all surprised and angered by the consistency of inadequacy.

i am happy to see the store here finally and i hold out hope that they will 1) add more products and 2) drop the prices by 1/2 to 1/2.

really the in game store is now in BS hands and out of the hands of Origin.
so they can now put into the store whatever their little hearts wish.

i think this was step one.
we will see more steps im sure.
have faith my faithless ones, have faith.

Vampyre Kitty

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh god. Here we go. Then I contacted EA, and the complete idiot behind the live chat probly screwed it up even more. Applying it to my Origin account or some strange thing he said. He was like, "YAY I REDEEMED YOUR CODE." Ok so which shard and account is it on so I can get the token? ...................silence I'm having a hard time believing that not ONE person tested an origin store code in the too small window during testing? Really, not one person? Would you people there at Broadsword please adopt the military way of doing things. Standard operating procedures. Every patch, test the token codes. Seriously people... Didn't someone have to create that window, and they didn't think, hey, maybe I should check the length of the text box against the length of a code? I can't even believe I'm shocked at this. How on earth could I be shocked about this after all these years.
I too find this completely ridiculous. This is WHY it should of been allowed to test on the beta shards that were testing the rest of the publish. The fact that they cant even get a simple box right to get a code in I mean seriously? I know mistakes happen and whatnot but still I was surprised too, why I have no idea at this point because like you after all these years youd think it would be the common norm to have stuff screw up like it always does. Patch one thing blow up 20000 other things. *shrugs* meanwhile I'm left again with a useless code until they fix it tomorrow. I shouda just got a token off the other site. I woulda had it already and not had to worry about redeeming a stupid code just to get a token.

Balinor of Pk?

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I too find this completely ridiculous. This is WHY it should of been allowed to test on the beta shards that were testing the rest of the publish. The fact that they cant even get a simple box right to get a code in I mean seriously? I know mistakes happen and whatnot but still I was surprised too, why I have no idea at this point because like you after all these years youd think it would be the common norm to have stuff screw up like it always does. Patch one thing blow up 20000 other things. *shrugs* meanwhile I'm left again with a useless code until they fix it tomorrow. I shouda just got a token off the other site. I woulda had it already and not had to worry about redeeming a stupid code just to get a token.
Yea isn't it great when some illegal online retailer that is a husband and wife team do better business than EA and Broadsword combined? I'd rate a couple of them 5 stars on Yelp. EA and Broadsword would get like 1. 2 max compared to them. lol Sad. I forgot to mention also, the EA account rep I spoke with... told me to reboot my computer.... so that the code would be updated.... um... what? WHAT? LOL

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I dont think that is true. We still have to get the initial payment to go through the Origin Store.
Sadly this is true and does anybody really believe that BS/DAoC/UO can do what ever it wants to without getting approval from the owners of UO/DAoC first.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea isn't it great when some illegal online retailer that is a husband and wife team do better business than EA and Broadsword combined? I'd rate a couple of them 5 stars on Yelp. EA and Broadsword would get like 1. 2 max compared to them. lol Sad. I forgot to mention also, the EA account rep I spoke with... told me to reboot my computer.... so that the code would be updated.... um... what? WHAT? LOL

Attachments

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UO is not a small business. Item shop sales don't follow the same rules as an actual store selling physical goods. Equating the two will never work as their realities are completely dissimilar. Item sales are pure gravy, they cannot possibly "lose" money on them (barring the creation of a dud item nobody wants).

If you want to shill for corporate greed and argue for EA's continued plundering of the masses, that's on your conscience.
Large or small basic business practices are still the same and as far as EA/UO goes you have zero data on how many players play UO or how many of each item is sold so lets IMHO pick Xfer Tokens which should be rated high on the sales chart and lets say the sell x quantity at y price every month now according to you UO would, not could, sell w quantity at z price every month or more and I say you are wrong because first you are assuming that people will Xfer more because it is cheaper to do so. When the Shard Shields first came out everybody that could Xfer did so as often as they could and now with the population people are xfering less because there isn't the items to be found when the shields first came out, so why do you think that Xfer Tokens would be any different than shard Shields are now. As far as the consumables go with what appears to be a lower population means less goods will be required so why would anybody buy enhancement tools if there really isn't as many people to buy them. It does matter at what price they sell at if the demand or need is not there then they will not sell. Just because something now sells for less does not mean that the demand will be there to balance the loss of money at the old price. Any business wants what it wants and if reducing the price x amount does not sell enough quantity to balance or increase revenue than selling cheaper is a bust. IMHO there is not enough demand to warrant a price reduction because EA/UO will not sell enough items to make up the difference.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Large or small basic business practices are still the same and as far as EA/UO goes you have zero data on how many players play UO or how many of each item is sold so lets IMHO pick Xfer Tokens which should be rated high on the sales chart and lets say the sell x quantity at y price every month now according to you UO would, not could, sell w quantity at z price every month or more and I say you are wrong because first you are assuming that people will Xfer more because it is cheaper to do so. When the Shard Shields first came out everybody that could Xfer did so as often as they could and now with the population people are xfering less because there isn't the items to be found when the shields first came out, so why do you think that Xfer Tokens would be any different than shard Shields are now. As far as the consumables go with what appears to be a lower population means less goods will be required so why would anybody buy enhancement tools if there really isn't as many people to buy them. It does matter at what price they sell at if the demand or need is not there then they will not sell. Just because something now sells for less does not mean that the demand will be there to balance the loss of money at the old price. Any business wants what it wants and if reducing the price x amount does not sell enough quantity to balance or increase revenue than selling cheaper is a bust. IMHO there is not enough demand to warrant a price reduction because EA/UO will not sell enough items to make up the difference.
Sigh.

These are digital items with a single outlay of overhead at the start (conception, art creation/reuse and coding). These aren't special widgets made by hand, they are items designed to be created on demand ad infinitum for pure profit.

You are arguing in favor of corporate greed.

Vampyre Kitty

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol reboot your computer.. since when did this turn into internet tech support.. that's pretty sad. I don't think anyone at EA knows what they are doing.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sigh.

These are digital items with a single outlay of overhead at the start (conception, art creation/reuse and coding). These aren't special widgets made by hand, they are items designed to be created on demand ad infinitum for pure profit.

You are arguing in favor of corporate greed.
And you are arguing in favor of a fairytale land. I am enough of a realist to understand that no matter how badly you wish something were true it is not going to happen. Wearing rose colored glasses and living in a fantasy land will not fix UO. I bet you and my son would get along great, he thinks that everybody should get $15 an hour min wage and that business will not raise their prices to ensure they get the same bottom line at the end of the year. Do I agree with corporate greed, no but I am smart enough and have been around long enough to know how the world really works and nobody is going to give you stuff without wanting their pound of flesh in return. It does not matter what you are selling digital or real items or labor, everything bought or sold has a real value to it and all those thing will go for as much as the person selling/buying them will go. Every business wants its bottom line and will charge what ever the market will support and EA is no different no matter what you hope or wish for.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Typical cheaper in dollars. Works out £6.89 for 1000 a saving of £1.10. Why do Americans get them cheaper than the rest of us?
because USD hasn't been devalued like most other countries currency.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it becomes impossible to profit, Atlas will shrug...or, go bankrupt. That would depend on Atlas' intelligence level.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wish we could have remained solid as a group about the pricing, but too many people have already said Yayy!! and spent money and bought the stuff. The prices won't come down anytime soon. I"m not eating my skullcap though, because that initial launch was nothing short of a joke , so I win :)

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well Garth, I said yay! because if you recall that Smuggler's Edge cost 16 million at the last GIL auction that one sold. That is about $32 USD if you bought that siege gold. So $4? Yeah, I'll take it.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All customer service companies dealing with hardware (pc,modem,cable box etc)..love love love to have you reboot it..LOL , don't you know that fixes everything ? hahaha

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well Garth, I said yay! because if you recall that Smuggler's Edge cost 16 million at the last GIL auction that one sold. That is about $32 USD if you bought that siege gold. So $4? Yeah, I'll take it.
I didn't mean your "Yay" :p

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So the Ellie Rafkin quest feels very unrewarding. The queen's loot is like killing a rotting corpse, it's absolutely garbage loot for the time it takes to kill it.
and you have to pledge your allegiance EACH time you do the quest chain just for another chance?

welp, I guess it was worth it for the experience... Guess I'll try the otherside of the quest chain, maybe it's not as tedious... seems a bit stupid if you need to pledge your allegiance each time you do this quest.... who the hell came up with this?

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix can you remove the "pledge allegiance again" after completing a quest chain? The only reason for it to be done again at all is if you switch sides while in the middle of one of the quest chains.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I'm sad Forged Metal tools (10 charges) got more expensive, it will make good weapon even more expensive on Siege. Wish I had brought a few more before this changes, now the codes are gone from Origin.

I hope they will balance the prices a little. Some items are to expensive and some are outdated.

I hope we will see a few new mounts and some items to help with success when crafting items, like the 60+ Smith hammer

And not to forget, a Gypsy wagon :p

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I clicked the link and it showed us dollars. They are $9.99 for 1,000. It shows four options - 500 for $4.99 / 1,000 for $9.99 / 2,000 for $19.99 and 5.000 for $49.99.

I would have imagined that there would have been volume discounts offered.... instead, the 5,000 sovereigns is almost as much as 5 times the 1,000 sovereigns (difference is few cents....)

I wonder, if promotions will be so that sovereigns will sometimes be offered at a discounted price for real money OR, whether items to be purchased in the game will be on promotion requiring less sovereigns to purchase..... or both ?

And how will we know ?

If the promotional discount was to be offered for the Sovereigns that need to be purchased outside of the game, I would magine that the web site will say it, but what about if the discounts will be offered in the game ? Will the Town Cryer announce them perhaps ?

Does anyone know more in details how it will work ?