• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO.Com] Publish 90 Part 2 comes to TC1

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix

Hey man, you can't advance in The Roof instance because there is a string error after you kill Juo'nor.

ERROR (Megacliloc) : StringId Not Found : 0

I've sent uo@broadsword an email with a couple screenshots.

We had to help stuck out because the instance/encounter didnt end.

eta: Went back after to do it solo and it threw another string error and didnt even spawn the first minion of minax.

Appears there should be four minions, virtuebane, Ozymandias, and juo,nar are all spawning correctly the fourth isnt.
The forth minion is being a little shy. This should be resolved in the next push to TC.

Vampyre Kitty

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix Are the tigers going to be made rideable? I thought I read they were but I could of been wrong. Also what is the spawn rate for the black and white tigers? The black seemed to spawn more then white. I just wish we could ride them :/

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm looking for my berrrrrriesss....

I found my berrries!!!

(the above is unrelated to these berries)

From the Champ Spawn with the Greater Phoenix.

View attachment 36323
The berries are what you feed to your Dragonturtle, it says on their Lore that they love berries.
Customise your pets resists perhaps, this could be interesting. ;)

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The berries are what you feed to your Dragonturtle, it says on their Lore that they love berries.
Ooooo one color for each resist!

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nope. Lore a Dragon Turtle Hatchling, and it says their preferred food is Fish. Says nothing about Berries.

Hmmm, just re-read the part about the Dragon Turtle champ that the devs posted, and it does say he likes Berries.

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
why would anything ever be shard bound
In my opinion? To keep people from making millions on something that belongs on one shard only. Shard-specific items should be shard-bound. My opinion of course :)

Mastery books, since people solo spawns all the time..shouldn't be that terribly hard to get, so what's the problem with them being shard-bound?

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my opinion? To keep people from making millions on something that belongs on one shard only. Shard-specific items should be shard-bound. My opinion of course :)

Mastery books, since people solo spawns all the time..shouldn't be that terribly hard to get, so what's the problem with them being shard-bound?
They can be farmed in tram so it's not gonna be like PS's. This just makes it harder for those who cross shard play. I have to farm on x shard sell the items on that shard, xfer gold or whatever to X shard to buy mastery for the shard I need. Would be much more simple if you could xfer them. Not to mention the dead shards it will be hard as hell to get masteries

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Dr Mr Spock's Beard,
With the greatest respect possible, are you sure UO is the game for you? You do seem to be having the most fearfully rotten time..all the time!
No but seriously, they've designed this whole new big chunk of content and the cheese at the end of the maze is... half a dozen artifacts that are mostly worse than imbued stuff. All I hear from you and Frodo is "I want to stick up for the game but don't actually have any examples of why you're wrong!"

Where's the loot, where's the carrot on the end of the stick? They could have at least made the skill books drop from Minax or something.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Most of the artifacts these days are sub par, with imbuing weights in the 300's - mid 400's, poor base weapon choice, and sometimes bewildering assortment of mods.

Don't even get me started on the psychotic nature of the random mods on loot...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix

Wasn't Fey Slayer going to be added to imbuing with this publish? I seem to remember reading that a few months ago...

*coughs* Add Mage, Vermin and Bird Slayer while you're at it! *coughs* :naughty-angel:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They can be farmed in tram so it's not gonna be like PS's. This just makes it harder for those who cross shard play. I have to farm on x shard sell the items on that shard, xfer gold or whatever to X shard to buy mastery for the shard I need. Would be much more simple if you could xfer them. Not to mention the dead shards it will be hard as hell to get masteries
i think the idea is that they want people to go do the content themselves to get them (which makes perfect sense). making them shard bound encourages this, but yes i agree its not as easy.

thing is with the masteries, its just an extra. you dont "need" them. if you have 50 characters, using the masteries on 2 or 3 main ones will probably be fine. i dont think anyone in their right mind would think they have to upgrade all their characters.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

im going to have to disagree with you. people will probably make MORE gold because they cant be cross-sharded. thats the idea. the price has to be high enough that its worth adventuring for yourself rather than buying.

Someone will buy that mastering on baja luna vendor for 50m just because its the only one for sale on that shard, but alot more will go out and get it themselves.

that seems much better to me than 1000 being for sale for 5k, because they can just be bought off shard.

So yes, people on low pop shards will probably have to farm the masteries for themselves (or pay a high amount). which i think is a good thing. Anything that favors active gameplay rather than "vendor buy" is good for the game in my opinion.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still think platinum should be a mill.. The 1b is quite a stretch for alot of players.
The idea behind 1plat being 1 bil gold is quite the opposite: So that most of the players DO NOT have to worry about a new currency...

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
thing is with the masteries, its just an extra. you dont "need" them. if you have 50 characters, using the masteries on 2 or 3 main ones will probably be fine. i dont think anyone in their right mind would think they have to upgrade all their characters.
If they do want to use mastery on all 50 chars, they will need a lot Mastery scrolls, as they are bound to the char like power scrolls, not to the book. The book is empty if you move it to an other char.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i think the idea is that they want people to go do the content themselves to get them (which makes perfect sense). making them shard bound encourages this, but yes i agree its not as easy.

We'll see if any of them are game changers. When the bard masteries came out, I imbued a suit with a ton of extra MR so I could use the masteries and soon quit bothering with them at all - if something's gonna die or not, it's gonna die or not anyway :)

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With shard bound items there really limiting the smaller shards. People don't want to have chars to farm items on every shard they play. Some people just might abandon those smaller shards bc of the headache. With wall safes/shard shields there just making you jump through hoops to gear out your multi shard chars. Not a huge deal just makes no sense.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why bother allowing transfers if you are going to start limiting items to specific shards? Bad idea if you ask me.

UO is much more "global" now... what I mean by that is for a very good portion of the player base we have converted from "do all the different things I like on a single shard" to "do the one or two things I like across many shards". Be it pvp, be it EM events, role playing, etc. Limiting people's ability to gather up various character building supplies like suits, scrolls, masteries, pets or whatever and send them out across the shards LIMITS gameplay, not EXPANDS it. Who cares if someone does Scalis on whatever shard works for them and sends the loot off someplace else?

We don't need anymore artificial restrictions on where people can and can't play the game how best suits them.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dunno. It'll be nice to be able to buy something on Europa without 9 out of every 10 getting shipped off to Atlantic.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I dunno. It'll be nice to be able to buy something on Europa without 9 out of every 10 getting shipped off to Atlantic.
Make no mistake... masteries are not a reusable commodity. The reason so many items end up on ATL is because that is where the customer base is. Not being shard bound does not prevent anyone from selling items on the shard on which they dropped... It just means once that market becomes saturated, the items can be moved to meet demand elsewhere. Limit them to the shard where they were dropped and they will be utterly worthless within a fairly short period of time on the vast majority of shards... because (virtually) everyone who needs one will already have it.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe the devs are thinking about the situation that faces most returnees who are years away from being able to claim their own shard shields or people like me who have played for almost 11 years and are still not eligible for shard shields. People who come back to UO and don't really know the other people who are still playing well enough to feel like they can trust them to move things for them in a transfer from Atlantic and/or who don't have gold on Atlantic might be very grateful to finally be able to buy an in-demand item on the shard where most of their characters are instead of trying to figure out how to get it on Atlantic and send it back to where their good characters are.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe the devs are thinking about the situation that faces most returnees who are years away from being able to claim their own shard shields or people like me who have played for almost 11 years and are still not eligible for shard shields. People who come back to UO and don't really know the other people who are still playing well enough to feel like they can trust them to move things for them in a transfer from Atlantic and/or who don't have gold on Atlantic might be very grateful to finally be able to buy an in-demand item on the shard where most of their characters are instead of trying to figure out how to get it on Atlantic and send it back to where their good characters are.
There are a couple of flaws in this line of thinking...

1. Generally speaking, the market will meet demand for "in-demand" items without artificial constraints.
2. Transfer tokens do exist outside the vet reward system.

But say you were right... What happens is the same thing that happens to anything else that is readily attainable and already owned by most players on slow shards... The content doesn't get done and there still aren't any for sale... Power scrolls are a prime example... If they couldn't be transferred off slow shards, the cross sharders wouldn't be farming or buying them there... And there would be virtually no one doing spawns there and likely very few if any more available on venders than currently exist.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Limit them to the shard where they were dropped and they will be utterly worthless within a fairly short period of time on the vast majority of shards... because (virtually) everyone who needs one will already have it.
If the demand are on Atlantic, the char who need the mastery scrolls can transfer to the shard, where they are cheap and use them there to fill his mastery book, then he can bring them with him home that way. This way, it's the players on the small shard, who will make the business.
But I don't really care as I play Siege and we don't have this problems :p

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If the demand are on Atlantic, the char who need the mastery scrolls can transfer to the shard, where they are cheap and use them there to fill his mastery book, then he can bring them with him home that way. This way, it's the players on the small shard, who will make the business.
But I don't really care as I play Siege and we don't have this problems :p
That would be a possibility... but highly unlikely....

Do American's fly to china to buy all their goods and then come back home? No...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do American's fly to china to buy all their goods and then come back home? No...
Yes, but most people call it "Wal-Mart." :devil:

But really, that's a silly analogy when you're talking about a video game where transferring to another shard is about as bothersome as teleportation. You're character is down about a day, round trip. I'm betting this method will be used a lot by those with shard shields.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Maybe we was better off, if it was not possible to "transfer" from China, Japan or other east contries, at least Denmark would have work to our people. Sure we sell to them too, but I still believe it was better for us.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, but most people call it "Wal-Mart." :devil:

But really, that's a silly analogy when you're talking about a video game where transferring to another shard is about as bothersome as teleportation. You're character is down about a day, round trip. I'm betting this method will be used a lot by those with shard shields.
Not a silly analogy. We live in a world were people and goods can move relatively freely (very similar in nature to UO). Very seldom do people move to where the goods are as Freja suggested though it is possible. Much more often that the good are moved to where the people are. Restricting trade for the benefit of the "supplier" almost without fail hurts the consumer.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not a silly analogy. We live in a world were people and goods can move relatively freely (very similar in nature to UO). Very seldom do people move to where the goods are as Freja suggested though it is possible. Much more often that the good are moved to where the people are. Restricting trade for the benefit of the "supplier" almost without fail hurts the consumer.
I don't disagree, but, again, UO is as game.

I'm not in favor of the masteries being shard bound, but mainly because it limits choice "Just 'Cuz."

Ideally, masteries would be been quested for, much like the bardic masteries, although possibly requiring a drop of some kind to do the 2nd and 3rd levels. Instead we get an lazy, RNG-based method that will likely become incredibly annoying/tedious to furnish a handful of characters with the highest levels if you don't have cartfulls of gold.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And there would be virtually no one doing spawns there and likely very few if any more available on venders than currently exist.
Seem to always be PS on vendors on siege, or up for sale otherwise, people do champs regularly. I really don't think it's a big concern because people do boss monsters for reasons other than power scrolls or mastery books. May be slower on smaller shards but I guess that will encourage people to get out and do the content.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One you gold hoarders should probably be aware of before it goes live.
-
  • All bank checks are shard-bound.

So make sure the checks you want to keep are on the shard you want before the Xpac goes live or its too late.
Will this apply also to the oldstyle white checks?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Will this apply also to the oldstyle white checks?
From what I gather YES indeed.... and if you put said checks in the bank then they will automatically be lumped into your gold number and vanish.... so don't store these in your bank... and if you have some in your bank before this goes live I suggest you find a home for them.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Awww. People don't want to take the time to build up toons on other shards? Seeing as how you can Xfer money now to any destination you go what's the problem allowing the "home shard" to prosper? Seeing as how they are going to be given out through multiple encounters in multiple facets I have a feeling they will be readily available on pretty much any shard. Oh! and they might actually hold their value? Shocker...I know.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
If you'd like to come on to TC1 and check them out and offer some feedback, be glad to listen. Or you can send us your feedback to [email protected].
Seriously though, just to pick an example, can you tell me why an item as objectively worthless as that Balakai Shaman Staff is considered a "reward" of any sort? Do YOU think it's good? I really want to know.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
@Kyronix Probably a little late in the game, wish I'd thought of this sooner. Someone probably did. But some day if you could add the iron bar sections to make jail cells and such that would work great with a castle/dungeon kinda deal. Maybe something for the tinkers to do who know metal work.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In a former life I worked in a public aquarium where we had, among other things, terrestrial, aquatic, and marine turtles. What I can assure you is that despite having just flippers, an aquatic/marine turtle can still get to where it wants to go in quite a hurry if it so decides (especially when they are small, and particularly when you are lifting them out of the water and needing them to stay still to weigh them or give them vet checkups). I can also assure you that their bite, when landed full force on your bum is quite painful. And since this post would be worthless without pics,
Yeah, i've owned a Box Turtle for the past 20 years, and laugh when people say turtles are slow. They can move pretty fast when they want, and watching my turtle eat is like watching a dinosaur. First, it's head creeps slowly towards the food, then....*snap*! It grabs the food real quick and eats it.

1:45 in

2:10 in

Last edited:

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My feedback on the environment of the Valley of Eodon itself:

- The Valley of Eodon doesn't fully feel like a lush, pristine lost world setting to me. I'm not sure exactly why... Maybe the forests and jungles need more trees, bushes and undergrowth? Maybe the spawn of normal animals is too sparse?
Hopefully this can be addressed in the next round of worldbuilding.

- Is there any point to the six different native tribes, or are they just aggressive mobs? I would expect some way to befriend them to get tribe-specific quests, etc... Maybe I should try with savage kin paint next time. The native villages are also lacking in decoration, hopefully this will also be added in worldbuilding.
EDIT: the natives are still hostile if you apply savage kin paint.

- Are the greater phoenix and infernus spawning naturally, or are they only part of the champ spawn? I looked for them in the volcanic area but I couldn't find them, maybe I missed them.

Last edited:

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My feedback on the environment of the Valley of Eodon itself:

- The Valley of Eodon doesn't fully feel like a lush, pristine lost world setting to me. I'm not sure exactly why... Maybe the forests and jungles need more trees, bushes and undergrowth? Maybe the spawn of normal animals is too sparse?
Hopefully this can be addressed in the next round of worldbuilding.

- Is there any point to the six different native tribes, or are they just aggressive mobs? I would expect some way to befriend them to get tribe-specific quests, etc... Maybe I should try with savage kin paint next time. The native villages are also lacking in decoration, hopefully this will also be added in worldbuilding.

- Are the greater phoenix and infernus spawning naturally, or are they only part of the champ spawn? I looked for them in the volcanic area but I couldn't find them, maybe I missed them.
The Valley as a whole is unlikely to get more trees. Part of that is because if we add a bunch of trees and other impassable objects it makes the area a nightmare to actually play in (like some of the areas in Ilshenar and the southern jungles of Britannia where the foliage is very thick). If there are specific areas you find that feel are especially barren, feel free to shoot me a PM with the XY coordinates (which will show up as a system message if you use a sextant).

Right now you (as a Britannian) are a complete outsider to the peoples in the Valley. It is our hope that we will continue to build on the Valley in future publishes and provide more content related to this new wilderness and immerse you in the history and struggles of it's native people.

Those two mobs currently spawn in the champ spawn only.

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Valley as a whole is unlikely to get more trees. Part of that is because if we add a bunch of trees and other impassable objects it makes the area a nightmare to actually play in (like some of the areas in Ilshenar and the southern jungles of Britannia where the foliage is very thick). If there are specific areas you find that feel are especially barren, feel free to shoot me a PM with the XY coordinates (which will show up as a system message if you use a sextant).
Ilshenar and southern Britannia were precisely what I had in mind... difficult navigation would add to the prehistoric world setting in my opinion.
Sent some locations by PM!

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ilshenar and southern Britannia were precisely what I had in mind... difficult navigation would add to the prehistoric world setting in my opinion.
Sent some locations by PM!
And also make it so people hate playing there.

Fun Gameplay > "Immersion"

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix
A couple of questions:
You mentioned more info on taming masteries, will there be more announcements as more info is added or should we just keep checking the wiki for updates?
Any new stealables in Eodon? (please please please!)
There are a few misc additions that had been mentioned for Publish 90 before the announcement about the expansion, are these still part of the publish when it goes live? (I'm thinking about wearables and imbuing Fey Slayer in particular)
:)

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And also make it so people hate playing there.

Fun Gameplay > "Immersion"
Well, some areas in Eodon don't have any gameplay at all - no spawn, no resources, nada. At least make the terrain interesting for "explorer" types.
As a positive example I'll mention that I really like the small lake at 37S 47 W, west of the Jukari village.