• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 101 Update to Origin, Izumo & Baja

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Really @Khaelor you are of the non imaginative generation?
(Do people read? ) I said the creators intent. When people create spaces they should have an idea of what spaces could be used for.

As I said, I've played around with it extensively on TC1, why because I wanted to think beyond the floors, the above floor clipping and the distracting windows. I want to give the winning castles honest tries and hopefully others will do the same.

I don't need my castles to look like houses. So I don't bother with things like bedrooms, dining halls, but I understand some do, so there should be spaces for people to create those. *laughs* I need a space to fit dragons and an easy access place for a lot of teleporters, where the fountains were in this house would have been awesome for teleporters while keeping the house easily accessible after porting in. Unfortunately they didnt think the ability to place fountains of life in the spot of the permanent fountains was sufficient. But alas it's there to deal with.

I am planning on using the smaller front rooms for my crafting rooms as you really don't need that much space..usually you just stand in one spot to craft so the smaller rooms for those are perfect...all of your supplies can be easily accessed from anywhere in the room.
Unless you have a full sized soulforge, there needs to be room for that and to get around it or a place above or below your crafting space for it. I played around with the soulforce a little bit to see where it could potentially be placed.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
really, truly, hate to ask this question, but has anyone on Origin or the other shards attempted customizing their current home, fully deco'd and add-ons and such? just, you know, changing a wall or floor tile or something?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Unless you have a full sized soulforge, there needs to be room for that and to get around it or a place above or below your crafting space for it. I played around with the soulforce a little bit to see where it could potentially be placed.
I have a one-tile soulforge....just have to find it now! LOL

SmithRoom.jpg

Once I find everything :/ it will be perfect :)

EDIT..FOUND IT!

Now I have the Smiths work space and sleeping quarters.

SmithQuarters.jpg

Still a work in progress...but the other side will be the same for my tailor..it's working out quite nicely!

Last edited:

AnneNomilly

Sage
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
really, truly, hate to ask this question, but has anyone on Origin or the other shards attempted customizing their current home, fully deco'd and add-ons and such? just, you know, changing a wall or floor tile or something?
Just tried. It's a little flaky but it worked. Let me go into customize mode with deeded items on the wall. Changed ONE floor tile in the middle of the "living room". It packed up all the shard shields, both wheelbarrows and only two of the plants. Rest of the plants and the fireworks tapestry stayed put. :confused:

Edit: this is on Catskills so take that with a grain of salt.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Khaelor
There is no such thing as a one size fits all design. We have the same stuff but we like to arrange it in a certain way that we built.
I am surprised a guild house design did not win. Enough players wanted a Cathedral so they got it.

Then we have water, stables, fireplaces, chess boards,etc. Then our add ons Ponds, lighthouses, garden sheds, Nexxus etc that not everyone has or wants.

This keeps going. Next time there will be 3? more. Maybe we will choose a Mayan temple.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Khaelor
There is no such thing as a one size fits all design. We have the same stuff but we like to arrange it in a certain way that we built.
I am surprised a guild house design did not win. Enough players wanted a Cathedral so they got it.
I find it curious that with the amount of people that voted for the design, not more said they would choose it. As I said, just find it curious.

And there is such a thing as thoughtful design to maximize the usefulness of a design or space. Miss Echo had some very thoughtful elements in her castle design that I truly appreciated while personally not a fan of her overall outside design. But I truly appreciate what she was going for and the usability of most of her space, probably why it was voted as the one people will use the most.

Personally I was hoping #6 (out of top 40) was one of the more "roomy" ones chosen, It was a much more sound, aesthetically and thought out design than many of the winners, and it wasn't an eyesore. It was very balanced, but didnt have any battlements, which are half of the designs that were chosen, so maybe that was it. I don't know the guy, in fact, I heard he might be a goblin (ick), but i still appreciated what he created.

Remember, in reality, voters did not vote. Mesanna and whoever else voted, and it's pretty apparent they don't actually play the game. But they really like battlements in a design!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I find it curious that with the amount of people that voted for the design, not more said they would choose it.
I think 8 people on LS read the forums at all. Most just to look at something specific. There will be Castles and Keeps changed unless the cost or obstructions prevent it. A poll here represents a tiny % of the players of UO.

Have to wait and see who actually chooses a new design.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
spent the last week emptying my keep. then having to use resizing cuz of a goza mat under the front step.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
There's still something wonky...and I THINK....I am missing some BOD books.....I can't remember...shoulda taken pictures lol :/

Attachments

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Larisa

I would put the full size bed on the east wall and the vanity/ dresser on the bed wall maybe so you can get to both sides of the bed

It’s coming along nicely

:danceb:

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Larisa did you still have items in the moving crate when you looked at the sign and Demolish was greyed out? Because you can't demolish a house with items in the moving crate...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Larisa did you still have items in the moving crate when you looked at the sign and Demolish was greyed out? Because you can't demolish a house with items in the moving crate...
Oh that's good to know.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yes I did....now it's empty (Had a piece of rubble garbage in there that I could hardly see)

NowDemo.jpg
Value.jpg
DemoHouse.jpg

So from this I am assuming you would be refunded the full amount...I am NOT going to test that! LOL

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Yes I did....now it's empty (Had a piece of rubble garbage in there that I could hardly see)

View attachment 87103
View attachment 87104
View attachment 87105

So from this I am assuming you would be refunded the full amount...I am NOT going to test that! LOL
Assuming it is the same on Live as it was on TC, I did test replacing, downgrading, and collapsing the new castles on TC.

- Replacing an upgraded castle with a different design will cost you the difference between the designs (or refund you)
- Downgrading an upgraded castle to the basic castle is possible and will refund you the cost difference between the two
- Collapsing an upgraded castle refunds you the full amount of the castle

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

View attachment 87103
View attachment 87104
View attachment 87105

it also says it will end the seven day waiting period !! it used to be that you could drop your house then replace right away then they put in the silly seven day waiting period !! hopefully this means they changed it back !

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Khaelor

So I went to test and mucked around with putting walls in my design, didnt have any colored stone but show in the pics the walls and then which ones are 'custom' ones, (some started to decay before i took the screenie) but it does give an idea of the way mine was supposed to work allowing the user to put walls where they want.

upload_2018-9-19_19-39-22.png

upload_2018-9-19_19-40-2.png

It wouldn't let me 'add' crafted doors on TC (think because on there it is a customised house rather than a 'classic' it also wouldn't let me lock anything down in there for deco purposes. Only let me put in deeded stuff for some reason like the heritage token stuff. Only mucked around on the bottom two floors just to get a couple of screenies, then unlocked it all so it could decay. You can make the rooms as big or little as you like.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@MissEcho Are you saying we cannot add any doors to your design? At all ever? I knew we cannot in custom homes. I never thought it would apply to this too. :( All the door haters can rejoice ... :) @Larisa can you try to place a crafted door in your new castle?

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@MissEcho Are you saying we cannot add any doors to your design? At all ever? I knew we cannot in custom homes. I never thought it would apply to this too. :( All the door haters can rejoice ... :) @Larisa can you try to place a crafted door in your new castle?
I think on test centre as it is a 'customisable' castle it won't let you, but once it goes live, it then falls into the 'classic house' on the menu, so I am hoping that it is just a TC glitch. Like I said, it wouldn't even let me lock down a chest or those gryphons there to turn em the right way. Said "you cannot do that". The new stuff appears under the classic houses once it goes live so here's hoping, if not @Kyronix is gonna have something else to fix. Kinda weird as it would let me dbl click the walls to lock em not the doors tho. Couldn't get them to stay in place and they would just disappear in about 5 mins if I placed em. Hence why on those test wallings I just used arches.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think on test centre as it is a 'customisable' castle it won't let you, but once it goes live, it then falls into the 'classic house' on the menu, so I am hoping that it is just a TC glitch. Like I said, it wouldn't even let me lock down a chest or those gryphons there to turn em the right way. Said "you cannot do that". The new stuff appears under the classic houses once it goes live so here's hoping, if not @Kyronix is gonna have something else to fix. Kinda weird as it would let me dbl click the walls to lock em not the doors tho. Couldn't get them to stay in place and they would just disappear in about 5 mins if I placed em. Hence why on those test wallings I just used arches.
It's because your castle was entered in the contest I had the same problem couldn't lock or secure anything.I went to a keep I was working on that I didn't enter in to the contest yet, and was able to lock or secure things

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The only problem with yours MissEcho is that CoT does not work with the crafted walls....unless or until they fix that...your design is useless to those of us who like to deco and use CoT.

Especially with the small rooms like Dot has, hiding containers and stuff, to me at least, is a big thing so the rooms don't look smaller then they already are.

As you can see in the first 2 images, I have some boxes hidden next to the south wall which you can't see OR place unless you use CoT...in the second 2 images you can see that the one south chest is placeable and visible with CoT...the north chest is not...so unless you place your items/deco FIRST and THEN place the walls, an open-floor design such as yours is not really usable...to me anyway.

CoT.jpg

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The only problem with yours MissEcho is that CoT does not work with the crafted walls....unless or until they fix that...your design is useless to those of us who like to deco and use CoT.

Especially with the small rooms like Dot has, hiding containers and stuff, to me at least, is a big thing so the rooms don't look smaller then they already are.

As you can see in the first 2 images, I have some boxes hidden next to the south wall which you can't see OR place unless you use CoT...in the second 2 images you can see that the one south chest is placeable and visible with CoT...the north chest is not...so unless you place your items FIRST and THEN place the walls, an open-floor design such as yours is not really usable...to me anyway.

View attachment 87114
That is my beef with most of the places I saw that and the fact that if you use any stone other than the currently customizable stone to build adding any walls/arches or doors looks like total smeg next to most of the other materials. Until we can craft all the other wall/floor/arch tiles and various doors I don't see any point to "leaving" things for later.

I can't imagine how fugly it would look to add the current stone to a marble style house as the wall thicknesses are vastly different... Many of the places I saw had combinations of walls that looked bad IMO because they were not the same thickness.. If you are going to build you should try to keep the wall thickness the same throughout the design or it just looks strange. I wish all walls were the same thickness but they aren't and it doesn't make any sense for them to be as wood is certainly not meant to be super thick like stone.

But the inability to use the CoT in the deco and such is a major beef of mine with the craftable walls. I can stand the occasional arch and door but to have entire walls that are blocked is just too much for me.

The other thing about crafted walls is that you often end up with gaps on the south and east walls because you can't butt them up to the existing ones. which is also exceedingly annoying.

Last edited:

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Have to agree to disagree ladies :)

Personally I hate stuff that needs COT to find it. If the room is that small that you have to have chests hidden behind a wall because they would block movement if you moved them out into an area to access/see them then I think the design is what is wrong and the room is too small. In a castle or keep there is no need for such pokey rooms, so that is the flaw imo. I hated existing castles for that very reason. If the only floor tile you can see is 1-3 tiles wide due the height of the sth/east walls it is NOT a room it is a corridor. So on a regular castle all the 'wings' both on the ground floor and even on the second floor were basically corridors. When designing ANY house the less corridors you have the more useful living space there is. That goes for a house in real life and applies to UO built houses too.

If you want to deco behind custom walls you just move the wall and put it back just like any other lockdown lol. Hardly a big deal. If you can stand on the spot (which you can for any wall placement) you just do your deco and put the wall in after. So in that respect it is actually easier than if you wall was fixed. If it is in spot you find 'hard to see' to place use trash barrel placement, (ie stand on the spot, place barrel, put wall piece in bin, axe barrel, lockdown wall) you don't even have to see the barrel just cnt-shift and click on the bar to put the barrel in your current target bar then axe that to chop the barrel. This would apply in the case of putting deco on the tile right up against the wall, as shown here, where the eastern wall stone tables in this old bit of deco I did years ago are placed and raised so that you can 'see' the items without the need for COT. That is a solid wall but it could just as easily be a crafted one as you don't need cot to see the items placed against it.

upload_2018-9-20_9-39-59.png

In this contest, the second I walked into a house with small rooms, ie anything less than 6 x 6 VISIBLE floor tiles wide without COT in use I walked OUT. I didn't want rooms the size of corridors. I certainly wasn't interested in anything with rooms the width of these corridors in existing castles.

I do just as much deco as anyone. And I agree you can't get custom walls to hit every edge, which is why on the second floor where I knew it would be pretty obvious on the stair corner in the middle of the room I actually left the corner out so you could 'tie' a wall in if you wanted without it leaving a gap, or just put in a post to fill it if you weren't gonna wall there. In the examples above on both floors there are only 2 spots where it doesn't tie in due to game mechanic limitations but I don't think that compromises the floor plan and by the time you actually did any deco it would not even be noticeable as even empty it is hardly an issue.

As for what is craftable,right now it is stone or nothing, hence my choice of stone. If they added other customisable options then those materials would be looked at. Frankly I didn't want a design that looked like a large 18 x 18. To me, castles are made of stone, that is a personal thing. My aim was to let people design their own interiors and not FORCE them to have tiny rooms or a layout not fit for their use, hence another reason to select the existing stone. You designed in that for the same reason Malagaste.

So yeah, have to agree to disagree. Everyone has their own ideas and it is all good. Once we are all done with our 'deco' it will be interesting to see the finished results.

Attachments

Last edited:

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah cus I wanna move my walls every time I want to change my deco...which I do a LOT (Halloween, Christmas,Fall etc.)....so no thank you....same with placing barrels/trash barrels, put item in, axe...etc...really?? If you have to move WALLS to deco then something is not right lol.

Simpler is better, and moving walls, putting things in barrels and axing them etc..not simple.

To each their own, I am not dissing the design...but I'd rather not have to move walls to deco.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah cus I wanna move my walls every time I want to change my deco...which I do a LOT (Halloween, Christmas,Fall etc.)....so no thank you....same with placing barrels/trash barrels, put item in, axe...etc...really?? If you have to move WALLS to deco then something is not right lol.

Simpler is better, and moving walls, putting things in barrels and axing them etc..not simple.

To each their own, I am not dissing the design...but I'd rather not have to move walls to deco.
LOL my point was if you have to do deco BEHIND walls the rooms are too small to start with. But if you have to stuff deco behind a wall where you can't see it then at least with walls that can be moved it is easier to place than mucking about with circle of tranparency especially in the EC. I trash barrel decorate all the time in every house with fixed walls. Easiest way to place stuff with or without COT. Surprised you think it is harder.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I hate those stone wall and floor add-ons with a vengeance, they cause bad lag, can't we just make a building with rooms that are big enough and then we won't need to do either? I do sometimes hide things behind a wall just for convenience but often I forget they are there. Corridors aren't rooms and shouldn't be stuffed with things, if my house got to that stage it would be clear-out time! As you say everyone is different and each to their own.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you have to put in granite pieces into your home your design is crap Period.

Granite makes lag
Granite don't have CoT

The only reason I can see use for the granite is to fix the upper corner of caslte/towers where the custom menu misses stuff and maybe a few floor tiles when you want to add a path somewhere and your house is crazy full and you don't want to mess with custom menu.

-> gives us plots and don't allow using granite in custom plots anymore

Job done.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
LOL my point was if you have to do deco BEHIND walls the rooms are too small to start with. But if you have to stuff deco behind a wall where you can't see it then at least with walls that can be moved it is easier to place than mucking about with circle of tranparency especially in the EC. I trash barrel decorate all the time in every house with fixed walls. Easiest way to place stuff with or without COT. Surprised you think it is harder.
I actually like the smaller rooms for crafting....I can reach everything I need from one spot and don't have to move...yeah ultimate lazy person syndrome.....I have it! I did have my crafting stuff on the roof of my castle at one point....HUGE soulforge smack dab in the middle and all the other stuff around it...it looked nice but was a PAIN to craft anything...the less I have to move, the better...especially when it comes to crafting because so much is needed for some things and I sometimes have many bags/backpacks open just so I can get more material quickly....then if I move they all close :/ So for me? Smaller is better.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I actually like the smaller rooms for crafting....I can reach everything I need from one spot and don't have to move...yeah ultimate lazy person syndrome.....I have it! I did have my crafting stuff on the roof of my castle at one point....HUGE soulforge smack dab in the middle and all the other stuff around it...it looked nice but was a PAIN to craft anything...the less I have to move, the better...especially when it comes to crafting because so much is needed for some things and I sometimes have many bags/backpacks open just so I can get more material quickly....then if I move they all close :/ So for me? Smaller is better.
upload_2018-9-20_21-47-25.png

that is my current crafting area, I have every craft and without moving I can inscribe, make pots, load up for my fishing, craft my cannon supplies, imbue, tailor anything, cook , smith , tinker, make furniture, do my fletching and craft with stone. I can reach the bin for throwing away, unravel all waste, fill all my spellbooks, and dye anything needed to be dyed. I do not move at all unless I am going to spin/loom cloth where I will take one step sth. I still don't like tiny rooms. You don't need tiny rooms to be able to be efficient in your crafting, in fact it is more efficient to have a bit of space around you. I will have the same set up in ANY building I am in. I can have ten friends standing in the space with me chatting without them getting in my way tho, as the room isn't confined to a 4 x 5 tile space with walls and doors.

In that space is the total of all my resources stored and put away from leather to ingots to wood, to regs, scrolls, gems and imbuing ingredients. When i return from hunting one set of chests takes the entirety of my loot bags for putting away, imbuing or trashing. The centre of the arcane circle is the 'spot' to access everything. It is the most efficient use of space and it wouldn't matter if I had ten castles lined up side by side this 'area' would be the same set up. It is a minimum of 6 x 6 open space fully visible with no walls 'hiding' stuff, I may take one step sth or east when putting scrolls away but that is all .

It's funny I sometimes craft suits for people and they might stand just on the other side of the chests to the east while I do it. Because I don't have to move they sometimes think I have timed out and I often get asked 'are you there?' as I stand still and make the suit, reforge it needed, imbue it, dye it without moving an inch. I am there of course just busy with a bunch of chests open! I run shops on all shards I play and craft everything possible to stock em. Have to be efficient in how you do it.

If the space was smaller than that then it wouldn't be practical nor aesthetically pleasing. I have found that minimum 6x6 area the most efficient type of crafting area.

If you like tiny rooms all good, as I said, each to their own, I just find them seriously limiting.

Oh and I NEVER have a room for tailoring one for smithing one for imbuing and all that mucking about. That is a mugs game. I have one crafting area and devote the rest of any space I have for socialising and deco. I learnt after my first UO house 14 years or so ago not to go down that route :p

It is interesting to see how people like to do things but gimme space any day lol.

Oh and another tip with a set up like this, if you run the EC when I get back from hunting I stand on the dot and run my 'gem' organizer, it puts all gems and imbuing ingredients away, i then run my regs organizer, then my resources organizer, and just stand there while it puts everything in the appropriate chest. I also have one for mage scrolls, nec scrolls, etc. I loot everything useful when I hunt given I run shops. Makes life very easy. I know where EVERYTHING is in my places. I think I am the ultimate lazy crafter, only I am not actually lazy I work hard.

Last edited:

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
And that is roughly the same size as one of the corner rooms of the classic castle design....

anyway not gonna keep this up....everyone's tastes are different.....just hate ppl that push their ideas on others is all....your design is nice...for what it is...it's not for everyone....I'd be surprised if many more then myself use the Gothic Rose Design...I LOVE it so far....gonna take awhile to deco but I'm very happy with my choice...a lot won't use it due to the smaller rooms and color choice.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I line my long halls with shelves and chests... so I like them just fine.

I also prefer to put my teleporters in hidden corners so they aren't sitting out in the middle of the room where people accidently walk on them all the time. I like to have them more hidden.