• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] New Store Item: Hairstyle Token

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looking for that perfect new look? The new Hairstyle Token offers the ability to change the hair, horns, beard, and beard horns of your character! Visit the Ultima Store today to get your new look! You can also visit TC1 to use a token to check out the various hairstyles.

Continue reading...

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
800 sovereigns....for a haircut ???
On TC you could only choose hair or beard so 1600 for a complete rework. Ouch.

Edit: I would highly suggest testing these with bright dyes before buying. They look good in legacy colors but bright dyes make these new styles look someone sneezed while drawing with paint.

Last edited:

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
strange that they dont have any pic's listed showing what you get for your near $10 investment.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe someday they will be selling a "crash free" token, to stop us from crashing so often

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Does Elven hair still look like pasta/playdough in the CC? I went to test to try these out but from what I was told the human ones were a lot better than the Elf ones and since I have almost all Elves, they are of limited use I guess. Also since we still can't turn off hoods/helmets and a lot of us are wearing hooded robes you won't see them anyway! Very expensive item to hide under a hood...:D

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Good job devs, keep adding more items like this in the store :thumbup:.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah maybe they can sell enough crap to hire a coder to fix the ghost mobs, crashes, freezes, need I go on?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I think they've been trying to hire one for years, but no takers! :(

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If this were about profits, there are soooooo many other things that would be for sale in the store. This item sounds like another guildmate or icq request from a friend.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Oh dear....not great...:oops: I did wonder why the screenshots were in the EC...:(

SwordofExcalibur

One of the last Rangers of Skara Brae
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The Kraggen-Cor Dwarf Clan can finally have those authentic Kraggen-Cor dwarven beards now, on ATL.

Not that I ever see any dwarves running around anymore.

Elven Female hair and all the Gargoyle horns & beards look pretty sharp.

But this is going to have to wait til pay-day.

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So once you buy this token do you get to try out the different styles to see what they look like on your toon or do you just pick and get screwed if you dont like it? Call me crazy but this would of made an amazing holiday gift... oh well at least i can get 87 holiday signs ill never ever use.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They're available on TC if you want to try them out. There's a gate in Brit Commons that you walk through and you can get as many as you want.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So once you buy this token do you get to try out the different styles to see what they look like on your toon or do you just pick and get screwed if you dont like it? Call me crazy but this would of made an amazing holiday gift... oh well at least i can get 87 holiday signs ill never ever use.
You get one choice either hair or beard but not both. You cannot view it on your character before the final choice. They look ok in legacy colors but as you can see with my neon examples, they're pretty bad. Anyone could have created these choices in paint in less than a minute.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Just checked the human hairstyles out on TC in Classic:

The Magic Braid (it's behind you on your character but in front of you on your paperdoll):
Screenshot (134).png Screenshot (135).png

The Cher:
Screenshot (136).png

The Baby Spice:
Screenshot (138).png

Schrodinger's Pastries: (we already had a double bun, why did we need a second one that is somehow both flat and puffy?):
Screenshot (141).png

Medusa's Mop:
Screenshot (143).png

The Turban:
Screenshot (145).png

The Picard:
Screenshot (147).png

The Fauxhawk The Vanilla Ice (I was corrected by a guildmate on this one, my bad):
Screenshot (149).png

The Groomed Hipster:
Screenshot (151).png

The Handlebar:
Screenshot (152).png

The Shaggy Hipster:
Screenshot (153).png

General Burnside:
Screenshot (154).png

I'm floored. Most of these are unusable. While I 100% think that vanity items are the most appropriate things for the store, they need to be both reasonably priced and nice enough to make people want to buy them. These are neither. While I have no doubt that some people will buy these anyway, I find them pretty disappointing.

But hey, we get whips now. And "the Naughty" and "the Punisher" titles. It's great they're finally throwing the RP community a bone.

Last edited:

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Disregarding the childish-looking artwork, none of these are in any way appealing, IMO. The hairdos when starting a new character are better!

<wishes the eyes could un-see these>

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They don't look horrible with blaze hair and glasses but the neons are a big fat no.

This look ok!
hair1.png

I do kind of like the homeless hippie look.
hair2.png

Not to reveal my age but this really reminds me of Gene Shalit.
hair3.png

Looks better than the neons but still...
hair4.png

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Idea is good but implementation went bad. I really waited this one but now I feel fooled :sad4:

ryanouno

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Is it possible to change glacal or blaze hair by the token? No issue? I was quite afraid of it..

Anyone awesome can post Cher and Baby Spice in helmet like norse helm?

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is it possible to change glacal or blaze hair by the token? No issue? I was quite afraid of it..

Anyone awesome can post Cher and Baby Spice in
helmet like norse helm?
I think the only issue is how u look after that :p

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Anyone awesome can post Cher and Baby Spice in helmet like norse helm?
I had blaze hair and beard before using the token. You would probably have to buy 2 if you used a token then used a dye.

I introduce the following styles:
Elven Emo
hair1.png

The post shag hooker elf
hair2.png

Hooker Elf with deer mask YIKES!!!
hair2.5.png

Queen of Denial
hair3.png

With deer mask
hair3.5.png

I don't know what's going on here
hair4.png

Hooker Elf with bone helmet (not only does hair stick out but there's a gap between helm and hair)
hair5.png

Why does my bum show when I run now?
hair6.png

The mop
hair7.png

Hey they got one right!
hair8.png

Spice with HoM (other headwear covers completely)
hair9.png

Last edited:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I think they did better on the facial hair than the head hair, but bleh.

There are only two of these I'd even consider (the magic braid and the handlebar), but not for $8 each. To put that in perspective, a normal new haircut is 50k gold, so the new haircuts imply a rate of $8 for 50k gold, or $160 per million, which is absurd. Now I realize these are new and different, but even if you gave the new haircuts the bright hair dye price of 500k, that would be $8 for 500k, which is $16 per million, and still absurd.

$8 is almost a basic RL haircut.

There needs to be a coherent strategy and for the store with regards to what is put in it and for how much.

Screenshot (159).png

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
None of those look appealing, and I still have a bag of haircut deeds from an IDOC in the KR era.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like the way yall are naming them. First ones I chose were the Peter Frampton, Hulk Hogan, and Zeus beard.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think they did better on the facial hair than the head hair, but bleh.

There are only two of these I'd even consider (the magic braid and the handlebar), but not for $8 each. To put that in perspective, a normal new haircut is 50k gold, so the new haircuts imply a rate of $8 for 50k gold, or $160 per million, which is absurd. Now I realize these are new and different, but even if you gave the new haircuts the bright hair dye price of 500k, that would be $8 for 500k, which is $16 per million, and still absurd.

$8 is almost a basic RL haircut.

There needs to be a coherent strategy and for the store with regards to what is put in it and for how much.

View attachment 89934
These tokens should have been in the holiday bag and tradable. Some styles aren't awful with some colors but none are fantastic enough to justify real money.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They are somewhat ugly... I wish I could use that braid on my elves... but the braid for the elves is just plain FUGLY...

I've tried all of them in the EC:
1950s look.PNG Capture.PNG Elven Emo.PNG Elven Male Emo.PNG Elven Male left out in the rain.PNG Elven Male Receeding.PNG Elven Male Super Short Dread.PNG Gargish Female Curled Thin Horns.PNG Gargish Female Deer Antlers.PNG Gargish Female Right Broken Short Deer Horn.PNG Gargish Female Short Flat Horns.PNG Gargish Male Crescent Moon Horn Beard.PNG Gargish Male Pincer Beard Horns.PNG Gargish Male Preditor Beard Horns.PNG Gargish Male Preditor Beard Horns.PNG Gargish Male Rhino Horn.PNG Gargish Male Right Broken Horn.PNG Gargish Male Tall Thin Horns.PNG Gargish Male Unicorn Horn Beard.PNG Gargish Male Yak Horns.PNG

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah I was diappointed I wanted this for my elf:
Human Braid.PNG

Instead they gave us this hideous thing:
1950s look.PNG
I'm not sure why the braid has to wrap around her neck or what is with the wings on the top of the head but it's just awful...

The only elf one I thought was "ok" was the one I orginally ridiculed as looking like an old school Judges wig:

Judge Look.PNG
The only thing I really like about it is it actually shows off the elven ears.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
That's a noose, she's trying to hang herself after seeing that depressing hair-do! :eek: