• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Mortal Strike Changes Coming to Test Center

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
a dexxer can easily apply a bandage and run off screen from a mage - if you stand there long enough for a mage to get off 4 spells on you and die, then you are the worst dexxer that has ever lived

there is no reason a dexxer should EVER die to a mage - not even once - 50% my ass - lol
You're saying mages can't run from dexers? Hehe, pretty good.

if a dexer runs from a mage, the mage has plenty of time to heal up and/or pre-cast a spell.

Nothing is stopping the mage from using healing either, as a matter of fact.
an Anatomy/Parry mage can fit healing pretty easily.

I ran this (parry/healing-mage) template on Siege Perilous many years ago: I have one on LS that I dropped Parry for Poisoning & dropped Med for Alchemy...

120 magery < 110+10 (mark of travesty)
120 eval-int < 110+10 (mark of travesty)
120 resist
100 anatomy
120 parry <-> 90 poisoning
90 healing
50 med <-> 100 alchemy

Still keeping a hand free for pots, unable to lose weapon skill worth of defense due to disarm, and also still keeping the SDI cap of 30% with both templates. (Reactive paralyze didn't exist when I played this on siege) but that's just another added bonus nowadays.

What if you were fighting in a place where neither of the players could run off screen? It's solely based on RNG & the decisions of the Mage if the dexer has a chance.

Running is something anyone can do.
Healing is something anyone can do.

It's the effectiveness of these things that make the difference when options are limited.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Ah I misunderstood you then at one point when you were talking about your mage weapon parry mage hybrid. I missed the part where you said You don't bother chugging....

If that's still what you are playing then Covenant's Changes don't even effect you.
I do play more than one template but aside from that, whether it affects me or not is no justification to nerf parry or anything associated with blocking chance.

Want to nerf reactive paralyze? That's fine.

Regardless, your argument so far has been the same has
Covenants.

I think we can stop beating the dead horse.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't think there's much cause for concern that they will do anything to it.

Just a couple of guys spitballing trying to see what sticks.
I doubt anything would happen either, if it would, I'm sure casting focus would have been removed from pvp by now :(.

I do still think parry needs a slight tweak (50% reduction might be a little much), but at least take it down to 20% like it would be for everyone else.
Wrestling or Anatomy would still have some major advantages over most other things (potions & no disarm vulnerability, and the less effective reactive paralyze).

Archery still needs to be toned down some as well, I always thought Ranged Weapons shouldn't be able to attack faster than 1.5s. regardless of weapon speeds

The end goal here was to make Melee more viable without having Archery as a back-up skill.

Balancing Parry wouldn't work it alone.

As far as Archery/Throwing goes maybe if they removed the anti-disarm mastery from ranged weapon skills.... (hrmm, I mentioned this before the mastery spells went live....)
as Annoying as being disarm spammed is, it really was the only thing a melee dexer could do against ranged weapons to survive besides relying on RNG or running and those options are open to the archer as well.

Dont touch parry please!!! Or make it that mages need 2 weapon skills for parry
"make it that mages need 2 weapon skills for parry" This is basically what I was asking for.

Potions are too good to give up, disarm vulnerability is a big benefit as well, reactive paralyze- it's effective but it's not as important as the other two benefits.

At least the mortal strike nerf is a small step in the right direction, mortal strike is only good for melee dexers if they can keep up with you. otherwise it's just going to make the fight last longer by causing the guy hit to run until it wears off... let's hope the mortal strike gets tweaked to where it's really effective. (Vs archery & Throwing) and nothing else.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I would like to thank those players who took the time to test the current Mortal Strike changes and provided feedback. We will be removing diminishing returns and adding an immunity timer similar to Paralyze. We will not be making any updates to Parry based on the off topic Mage vs Dexer discussion of this thread. The changes to Parry are related to how some Parry Mastery abilities are calculated. We hope to get the changes on TC in the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to your feedback on those changes.
It would be nice if the immunity timer were to be shorter for melee than for ranged, since melee is still very underpowered.