• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Happy Summer! A Special Gift For You!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Call me what you want. I am role-playing a villain when playing as Stinky Pete. Pete hates elves and owns a gargoyle slave, does that make me a racist? I guess the answer to your question is no, I wouldn't describe myself as a griefer, but some people might and that's fine. If my playstyle causes other people grief, it's their problem, not mine. My advice to them is to not get so attached to their stuff. Most players on Siege understand this, the ones that come to collect the gifts are the ones that cry and whine in gen chat. I'll also have you know that I won't troll them as they whine in GC unless they mention me by name because it lets the shard know that I am online which I like to keep secret as I am pretty much considered kill on sight to everyone. I almost never use GC until I am exposed.

It may also surprise you to learn that I have characters that aren't evil and have a fairly decent reputation. I just don't play them as often and they aren't as sexy to talk about. Occasionally, I will put a disguise kit on one of these toons when someone from my guild requires their skills. I occasionally use them to fence stolen things as well because some people refuse to buy items from me or refuse to give a fair price for stolen goods.
Woah, where to start? Firstly, I never said you are trolling in GC. Secondly, it does not suprise me that you play other characters as well. Some posters try to give this thread a spin as if anyone made implications on your IRL personality, but at least I didn't and never will. How silly to judge a person by what he does in a video game! *d'oh*

But if your purpose to join a multiplayer game is to ruin someones evening, as you proudly stated, that's the definition of a griefer. You don't enjoy stealing or RPing, but ruining someones evening.

Point taken that you are a Siege player though, where people seem more open to that kind of behaviour. On Atlantic we usually try to not have thieves in the guilds as they usually cause grief for a lot of people which by far outweights a single individum's enjoyment. I guess it depends alot whether you play the lone wolf or try to build a trusting community.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You don't enjoy stealing or RPing, but ruining someones evening.
Can't I enjoy both? But in all seriousness, I only replied to you to say that no, I don't describe myself as a griefer and to provide supporting facts as to why. As I said before, call me what you want. I steal, scam, and murder because I enjoy that aspect of the game the grief that brings people is only a side effect of what I do, but I can't help but to take pleasure in it. If you want to call me a griefer that's fine, but it's not how I describe myself.

Some posters try to give this thread a spin as if anyone made implications on your IRL personality, but at least I didn't and never will.
I appreciate that.

I guess it depends alot whether you play the lone wolf or try to build a trusting community.
I am not a lone wolf at all. I am part of a very old multi-shard community of thieves. Imagine the trust in that community!

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
WHere u get this? It reads "Britain Commons" but I cannot find it there

I agree is a playstyle like many others in this game. I used to play a thief, was my best toon and i used to enjoy hang out at bucs gate and just steal anything, from bandaids to vanquish weapons, desarm people and steal last target macro, running naked all day, than insurance came and ruined thiefs. I dont want to go steal crap stuff like fruit basket and any other useless things, you want to bring fun again, remove insurance from the game, people will think twice b4 go to fel. This would stop the legendaries mafia and would bring back the crafted suits and it allow me to go back stealing from others.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree is a playstyle like many others in this game. I used to play a thief, was my best toon and i used to enjoy hang out at bucs gate and just steal anything, from bandaids to vanquish weapons, desarm people and steal last target macro, running naked all day, than insurance came and ruined thiefs. I dont want to go steal crap stuff like fruit basket and any other useless things, you want to bring fun again, remove insurance from the game, people will think twice b4 go to fel. This would stop the legendaries mafia and would bring back the crafted suits and it allow me to go back stealing from others.
Go play on Siege

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ok np, but than i will have to wait 4-5 hours to see 1 person on the shard.
I hear this quite often. It is self defeating. "I don't play there because people don't play there." If everyone who had this attitude would just play there, tons of people would be playing there. Also, as @Victim of Siege said there are more people than you would think. If you want to stand around a bank or moongate waiting for them, you're gonna have a bad time. Siege players are out doing things. You just need to go and find them.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I hear this quite often. It is self defeating. "I don't play there because people don't play there." If everyone who had this attitude would just play there, tons of people would be playing there. Also, as @Victim of Siege said there are more people than you would think. If you want to stand around a bank or moongate waiting for them, you're gonna have a bad time. Siege players are out doing things. You just need to go and find them.
I sneak about there once in awhile but it'll never feel like "home" since well not only do you almost never see anyone but half the time when you do they just want to kill you and take what you have worked real hard for... kinda doesn't leave that "endearing" feeling when you play there...

There are a few very nice folk on Siege... but too many rotten apples spoil the sauce... making the environment far less appealing with all the swarms of flies and buzzards around...

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But let's not forget the most important thing of all.. There are no Thieves on Siege . . .

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I sneak about there once in awhile but it'll never feel like "home" since well not only do you almost never see anyone but half the time when you do they just want to kill you and take what you have worked real hard for... kinda doesn't leave that "endearing" feeling when you play there...

There are a few very nice folk on Siege... but too many rotten apples spoil the sauce... making the environment far less appealing with all the swarms of flies and buzzards around...
Siege isn't for everyone MalagAste. so let's just agree to disagree about the community on Siege.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Siege isn't for everyone MalagAste. so let's just agree to disagree about the community on Siege.
No it's not some folk like the what I call "panic" play of not knowing if you are going to get PK'd or ganked or whatever ... some folk live for that thrill...

But I'm old and I don't need thrills like that to make me enjoy the game... what I enjoy is quiet times with friends doing things that are fun... like spawns, peerless, T-Maps, taming and training pets and training characters, and most of all design, deco and RP.

But that's what makes UO great... there is so much to do... I just wish I could do more of it without having to subject myself to people who enjoy ruining other peoples game play...

I did give Siege a great try... it brought back many memories for some of my friends and I of early struggles on our home shard... but after a while it wasn't so fun anymore... I missed the old gang and well I don't know anything about Siege or it's history so it has little "meaning" in my UO existence... tried doing some RP there... but that didn't work out.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No it's not some folk like the what I call "panic" play of not knowing if you are going to get PK'd or ganked or whatever ... some folk live for that thrill...

But I'm old and I don't need thrills like that to make me enjoy the game... what I enjoy is quiet times with friends doing things that are fun... like spawns, peerless, T-Maps, taming and training pets and training characters, and most of all design, deco and RP.

But that's what makes UO great... there is so much to do... I just wish I could do more of it without having to subject myself to people who enjoy ruining other peoples game play...

I did give Siege a great try... it brought back many memories for some of my friends and I of early struggles on our home shard... but after a while it wasn't so fun anymore... I missed the old gang and well I don't know anything about Siege or it's history so it has little "meaning" in my UO existence... tried doing some RP there... but that didn't work out.
The best way to enjoy Siege is this: nothing is yours until you get it to your house. Half of the thrill of Siege is “I got that item safely home” not “I got that item”. I have lost a multitude of items in my Siege life I have even swiped something from someone, just to have it swiped immediately out of my pack. There have been very few people in the last couple of years who intentionally try to ruin someone’s day, but it does happen, it is normally a side effect of people playing the way Siege is intended to be played.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Oh I understand that... and like I said it brought back some old memories of days gone by... but it also reminded me of the fact that I'm glad those days have gone by... and that I don't have to work that hard anymore on my home shard... Sure I still like to deco and design on Siege... It's a tad harder since well I have to get the deco home first... and acquire it... But I still do it.

I just prefer my home shard. Crazy as it is... and sadly dying off slowly one player at a time... though that rate seems to have sped up in the recent year. But that seems the case on other shards as well... Drawback of an aging population.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Woah, where to start? Firstly, I never said you are trolling in GC. Secondly, it does not suprise me that you play other characters as well. Some posters try to give this thread a spin as if anyone made implications on your IRL personality, but at least I didn't and never will. How silly to judge a person by what he does in a video game! *d'oh*

But if your purpose to join a multiplayer game is to ruin someones evening, as you proudly stated, that's the definition of a griefer. You don't enjoy stealing or RPing, but ruining someones evening.

Point taken that you are a Siege player though, where people seem more open to that kind of behaviour. On Atlantic we usually try to not have thieves in the guilds as they usually cause grief for a lot of people which by far outweights a single individum's enjoyment. I guess it depends alot whether you play the lone wolf or try to build a trusting community.
I think "griefer" description for thieves and PK is wrong. Thieving and PK are established, accepted trades in this game since beginning of time. Griefer is someone who will PK and Thief you, and then verbally abuse you, and spread the good news in gen. chat. Griefer is someone who will harass and mud one player etc.
We need the PK's and Thieves. They break the boredom, and add interest and a touch of danger in the game. Not everyone should be playing the honorable knight in a fantasy video game. Like lots of others, I also have accepted that its ok to get PK'd and stolen from. Its ok. It is just a game. Also was time for me to learn new skills, to defend from PK and learn to run etc. Its still fun and I love it. Will I ever PK or steal? No. Its not in my nature. I still love my PKers and Thieves, and they add a little danger in the game which I like, and I love the game.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think "griefer" description for thieves and PK is wrong. Thieving and PK are established, accepted trades in this game since beginning of time. Griefer is someone who will PK and Thief you, and then verbally abuse you, and spread the good news in gen. chat. Griefer is someone who will harass and mud one player etc.
We need the PK's and Thieves. They break the boredom, and add interest and a touch of danger in the game. Not everyone should be playing the honorable knight in a fantasy video game. Like lots of others, I also have accepted that its ok to get PK'd and stolen from. Its ok. It is just a game. Also was time for me to learn new skills, to defend from PK and learn to run etc. Its still fun and I love it. Will I ever PK or steal? No. Its not in my nature. I still love my PKers and Thieves, and they add a little danger in the game which I like, and I love the game.
From a high level standpoint that might all be right.

From the countless times I have seen guildmates being really angry and the endless drama of having thieves in guilds, I don't think stealing is bringing anything positive to the game these days.

The role-playing thieves I've met I can count on one hand. 9/10 its a ****** infiltrating a friendly and trusting community. Ultimatively ruining the trust in each other and causing grief for otherwise trusting guild members.

But it's a skill you can pick in UO, yea..

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
From a high level standpoint that might all be right.

From the countless times I have seen guildmates being really angry and the endless drama of having thieves in guilds, I don't think stealing is bringing anything positive to the game these days.

The role-playing thieves I've met I can count on one hand. 9/10 its a ****** infiltrating a friendly and trusting community. Ultimatively ruining the trust in each other and causing grief for otherwise trusting guild members.

But it's a skill you can pick in UO, yea..
Oh no! Were you deceived? Lied to? Just recruiting anybody? It's ok, ol' Pete's here to provide trusting emotional support. All you have to do is let me join your guild.

Are you hoping for a world where everyone can be trusted? Do you live in a bubble? You really shouldn't recruit thieves you know. It's not the thief's fault that he gets in the guild.

On production shards, infiltrations are pretty much all I do these days, it's one of my favorite things to do. The art of deceiving people and working to gain their trust only to find out which one of them I have the most to gain from and then attempting to trick them into presenting me with an opportunity... There really is nothing else quite like it. I get that it may not be your thing but that's ok, you get to be the victim!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No I play a game based off of virtue... I expect people to treat others virtuously...

I grew up believing in a certain set of commandments even though my father was not a religious type person he at least believed in those commandments.

I expect folk to follow the same ToS that I do... the ones that everyone signed electronically when they agreed to play the game... but I guess others don't believe that in an online game they are held to the same standards as IRL... and they can do whatever they want... including hurt others and ruin their fun.

Sadists, narcissists, psychopaths and con artists... they seem to abound here...

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No I play a game based off of virtue
Me too. Chaos is my virtue of choice.

I don't believe there is anything in the ToS against deception and thievery. Correct me if I am wrong though. Players may not like being deceived and stolen from but nobody likes to lose at a game. Why can't we all just be good sports?

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh no! Were you deceived? Lied to? Just recruiting anybody? It's ok, ol' Pete's here to provide trusting emotional support. All you have to do is let me join your guild.

Are you hoping for a world where everyone can be trusted? Do you live in a bubble? You really shouldn't recruit thieves you know. It's not the thief's fault that he gets in the guild.

On production shards, infiltrations are pretty much all I do these days, it's one of my favorite things to do. The art of deceiving people and working to gain their trust only to find out which one of them I have the most to gain from and then attempting to trick them into presenting me with an opportunity... There really is nothing else quite like it. I get that it may not be your thing but that's ok, you get to be the victim!
Hehe, I'm only a bystander to date and never lost anything worth bothering. The rules are clearly on your side, I'm just trying to argue a point here.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why is it we can't loot a corpse without revealing, but a thief can snoop all day while hidden ? I think I'm right in that assumption ?

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why is it we can't loot a corpse without revealing, but a thief can snoop all day while hidden ? I think I'm right in that assumption ?
Glad I can finally enlighten you on this.

When you snoop someone's pack, it takes time to decide which item you want to steal. If you revealed you wouldn't have the time to do that before the victim either runs away or attacks. It would essentially make snooping completely useless. There is a chance to reveal on a failed snooping attempt but that is impossible if you have GM snooping. I would agree with you if your argument was that GM snooping should not have a 100% success rate, perhaps that is the argument you should be making. As far as looting corpses revealing you, yeah, I don't know what's up with that.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We need the PK's and Thieves. They break the boredom, and add interest and a touch of danger in the game.
That's pretty much like saying that everyone needs a good beating from time to time--just to keep the life from getting monotonous. I get it, PKing and Thieving is a permitted part of the game, but trying to portray these mechanics as a service to the community is too much. The only people who enjoy these mechanics are the griefers themselves, and they do it to the detriment of the player base at large.

Last edited:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's pretty much like saying that everyone needs a good beating from time to time--just to keep the life from getting monotonous. I get it, PKing and Thieving is a permitted part of the game, but trying to portray these mechanics as a service to the community is too much. The only people who enjoy these mechanics are the griefers themselves, and they do it to the detriment of the player base at large.
Unfortunately for some, that's the reason Trammel became....