• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Combat & Doom Artifacts Update to Test Center

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
but...
You can have scribe on necro and mystic. There will be no reason to have just magery.
did anyone ever play with just magery?

i do think i have a suit with around 840 skill points.

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
did anyone ever play with just magery?

i do think i have a suit with around 840 skill points.
Currently everyone plays with just magery... what I mean by just magery is no necro, mystic etc

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Explode omen fs does around 78. currently
do you mean on live? My damages tested were on TC with 20 SDI

Maybe without scribe and corpse it does that low. Last night on TC Arnold was doing 75 dmg FS evil omens to me with sash built up.

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Currently everyone plays with just magery... what I mean by just magery is no necro, mystic etc
Yeah I was including tactics mages etc.

I get your point though.

For me it just isn't enough to have to get back on the roller coaster. Things can always get worse...

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So wait? The PvMers are upset they can't afk kill stuff anymore? These changes won't stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leet

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Bleak

We understand you are only 1 person and maybe you are doing you're best here and thats all we can ask. But at this point, i have to ask who in the world are you taking advice from. As far as keeping pvp/pvm separate in an attempt to actually do some pvp balancing we were doing better then usual. But nowhere did i see anyone talk about a total overhaul on swing speed nerfs. The nerf to running shot was pretty good where it was being physical damage and less chance to land the attack. Thats where it really should of stopped. Im not sure what happened or who gave u the idea to reduce every weapon in the games swing speed caps but you are going to start a complete war between pvp/pvm and really nobody is going to be happy with this change except for probably a very small select group of people.

And for the PVM people who are making comments like we had something to do with is I assure you it was probably the act of one idiotic person and not the pvp community because we do not want this change either.

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
  • PvM only: Initial Spell Plague damage is now modified by SDI etc. Removed baked in bonus damage from Intelligence and 15% SDI from Spell Plague damage calculation.

So now, as far as I can tell on test. Spell plague isn't influenced by scribe OR SDI anymore. The max damage is 28, the same as it is on live. The new SDI 20% buff doesn't change the damage at all. Yesterday it was doing 32 with scribe and 20 SDI

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mages using only magery as offense makes the most sense they cast the hardest. 30sdi.
Add a wep. you should lower it to 25 or 20. Parry should also lower to 20 sdi and the formula should be scaled back.
do you mean on live? My damages tested were on TC with 20 SDI

Maybe without scribe and corpse it does that low. Last night on TC Arnold was doing 75 dmg FS evil omens to me with sash built up.
When you are giving your numbers- let us know what you are using. 55 fire, scribe, sash, etc.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
There were some good ideas presented over the several combat updates. They needed to be fine tuned. This last change shifted way too far especially with the SSI change which drastically affects PvM warriors.

I thought Bleak was onto something by removing the tactics requirement for weapons specials. After seeing the discussion, I think we can revert the Focus Spec list to the original skills and add parrying. Put the SDI cap back at 15% for non-focused and 30% for focused. 100 Inscription can still stack 10%. I would change the EP cap to 50% total from items and the skill point bonus combined (but again, not make alchemy a focus spec breaker). There were other good tweaks presented... they just needed refinement.

valor

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I am happy to see the new doom artifacts! But I think those boss, like Dark father, Impaler etc, they also need to boost up. They are really easy to deal with!

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love the focus spec being removed.

Tactics being added back in is a bad idea, no point in that, remove tactics from being required, im pro-choice on this.

Id also rather see base speed on bows/throwing weps being raised enough to cap them at 1.5 instead of overall ssi change.

Remove overcap HP from the new passive mastery.

Rest is ok with me.

Turles (UHOH)

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Why nerf warriors ssi when we cant hit a wrestling parry mages as it is =[ I feel that it a pretty bad change considering our change of hitting is already to low as is.

BearCorpse

Adventurer
Reduce 2handed melee weapon swing speed cap to 35% or less, please.
Or increase slow weapons' base damage by 30%.

chad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was looking good, but then you guys just did a complete 180 on your progress. @Bleak

-Revert to 12/13/2016.
-Add healing/anatomy to focus restriction.
-Return novas to their previous mechanic. Convert to direct damage. Set damage to 10 (+1 per 10 points of alchemy) for a total of 20 damage at 100 alchemy. Reduce damage dealt by 10% of the original value for every person hit after two. 1-2 people = 20, 3 = 18, 4 = 16, etc.

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make sure you put spell plague back to the way it was yesterday, makes no sense that it shouldn't be influences by SDI @Bleak

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And I hate the fact there's not a playable 30 sdi mage in yesterdays patch.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Bleak PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop trying to fix PvP at the cost of the PvMers. If you can't figure a way to make changes to PvP only that does not bleed over to the PvM player base then you need to put it back. PUT SSI BACK TO THE WAY IT WAS BEFORE ALL THESE CHANGES.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't get it...

How did we go from wanting to fix the overpowered nature of alchy/parry focus mages... To essentially leaving them alone and nerfing all focus casting across the board? Focus mages SHOULD have higher damage output because they have less spell utility available to them.....

The original problem was the high damage output, coupled with the high survive-ability of parry/alchy focus mages. It made them the cookie cutter build for 85% of PvP mages. Dexy characters, especially melee dexys could practically do nothing to them.... so now we just reduce damage across the board to all focus casting. Oh and lets nerf SSI too because, because.... screw you melee guys? how does that fix anything? You were on the right path with adding parry to the focus casting restriction list. How the hell did we end up drinking tea in China now?

Oi, this is why I avoid pvp threads =(

Necron87

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix why it was necessary to change cap SSI on 40 ???!!!!!!! There is no need to change it,to archers and so happens not easily ! Instead, it would be better fixed old bugs,fixed the problem with the economy and worked with reforged.

P.S. With the new changes,and those that are presumably in the future,can probably leave UO......

Last edited:

Kiss Of Death

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
REMOVE TACTICS AS IT WAS IN THE LAST DAYS! IT WAS THE BEST CHANGE YOU DID ...AND NOW IT HAS NO SENSE TO HAVE 60 TACTICS FOR BOTH THE SPECIALS!!!

PLEASE REMOVE TACTICS AGAIN!!!

P.S. THE SWING SPEED NERF IS NOT NEEDED !!! You fixed the MOVING SHOTS by making them do Physical dmg, great .

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Revert. ABORT. Do Not Pass Go. Do Not Collect 200$

a 40% Decrease in DPS with 4.0s Weapons. Really? Really really? Are you sure you want to do this?

Do you really want to make all weapons slower than 3s obsolete?
Obviously weapon specials matter here, I'm just showing that any weapon beyond 3s will be pointless because of the scaling of the base damage.

Bone Harvester - 3s (1.25s swing) 13-15 base damage. a factor of 11.2 Dps before all other modifiers.
Longsword - 3.5s (Now 1.5s swing) 15-16 base damage. 10.3 Dps Before all other modifiers
Viking Sword - 3.75s (Now 1.5s swing) 15-17 Base Damage. 10.7 Dps before all other modifiers
Halberd - 4.25s (Now 1.75s Swing) 18-19 Base Damage. 10.6 Dps Before all other modifiers.

Radiant Scimitar - 2.5s (1.25s swing), 12-14 - 10.4 Before all modifiers
Double Axe - 3.25s (1.5s Swing) 15-17 - 10.6 Dps before all modifiers

Get the picture?

de-chande

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Please please please get rid of tactics again. You get the penalty of not doing so much damage which is enough. Being able to choose 90 more skill points on a dexxer build is needed. Why not make it so it affects the lower mana cost of the actual weapon skill. I.e. you would need say bushido parry ninj to make the 300 lower mana cost if you have 0 tactics and 120 weapon skill. Add 90 tactics and it returns the lower mana cost of the weapon skill. As most builds run around with bush and ninj you can then choose if you want tactics for the damage and the weapon skill lower mana cost or negate the lower mana cost and have a different skill to make it up.

Necron87

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a horrible update ! What is happening in the UO ! Barbed runics now cost 1 mil,and at all will become necessary to nobody soon,also as well as craftsmans,why are necessary craftsmans,when exist legendaries,with all resists >20 and uber properties. Bug color with reforging 100 % chaos damage still not fixed,but new changes just surprise, especially pink unicorn))

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
considering the doom arti revamp: please do NOT implement any new hit spell effects, especially not that bone crusher effect! it will only cause added balancing issues! splintering is alrady bad enough (should be nerfed or taken out completely to be honest). Also if you want the new artifacts to be used please make sure you take a look at what people are using on their suits these days. Basically what caster types predominantly need is dci, sdi, resists, mr, lrc, lmc whereas warrior types mostly rely on hci, dci, dmg, stamina increase, lmc, hp increase etc. Some hybrid builds of course have the trouble that they need all of the above which is even harder to achieve. This has been pointed out before in the various threads about future artifact revamps.

PvP specific changes:

The SSI change needs to go. I would consider archery fixed since moving shot has been nerfed with hit chance penalty and only physical damage (I think the hit chance penalty wasn't even necessary), no need to screw up all dexxer weapons with the SSI change.

I like the passive warrior mastery change we had but I would prefer one little adjustment: keep 5 hci and dci but return to +10 hpi, only make it NOT exceed the hard cap of 150 hp. This will be especially beneficial for Siege Perilous (no insurance).

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nothing good ever comes from making PvP "balancing" changes there is always one template that gets hit harder than others. But with the last update i actually thought, hey they nearly got this right this time. Then Bleak throws the lot out the window and puts in changes that were never even discussed. Im off back to bed. Maybe when i get up the world will be set right again.

Demonic Taste

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Weapon Special Move Update: remove tactic again
keep focuced spec 30 sdi and non focused 20 sdi
remove the overcap hpi
remove the change for the nova
and dont add parry, weapons skill in restriction list
Well I think it's safe to say that these are the most biased and least objective opinions in this thread.

You might as well have said "keep parry mages extremely strong with no penalty to their offense, also don't buff dexxers at all." The tactics change (the one from the previous update where none was necessary) might have helped one dexxer template, it would benefit mages quite a bit more.

This is how we're in this awful balancing situation now, because in the last two weeks some people have only been willing to view the changes from the perspective of the templates they play. So if you want to keep seeing daily awful balancing changes, keep your self-centered posts coming.

Feanaro

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
My opinions are very objective always. The 60 tactics change is pointless. It was good 3 days ago. No tactics ( and anyway we just remake the game mechanics of many yrs ago when tactics was not needed).
I agree @Bleak please remove the tactics change back to what it was( no tactics needed). It creates more diversity. I thought thats what we were trying to do here. Archers DPS is a problem I think most people would agree on that. Dont mess with ssi just lower their armor ignore dmg to players only.

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Lol @Bleak @Kyronix

Why the hell you want to Ruin PVM now agian wih that SSI ****? Becausd 2 Bad pvper started crying?

Holy ****. I slowly Start to think that seperate PVP and PVM to different Kind of shards would be the only logical Step as you clearly did not hear the Bang. Damn

This Change will massively mess up any melee pvm as you will have Problems to Leech hp in time ( from HLL or Vamp) till the Monsters wreck you

Kiss Of Death

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The new ssi change has to be removed completely. The main problem in pvp were the 40+ dmg moving shots caused by elemental bows after u were cursed or/and corpse skinned.

U fixed the issue when u made moving shots going for phys dmg.

Deffo best change with the not needed tactics 4 specials!!

Please fix it !

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Weapon Special Move Update: remove tactic again
keep focuced spec 30 sdi and non focused 20 sdi
remove the overcap hpi
remove the change for the nova
and dont add parry, weapons skill in restriction list
This is what I have been saying. It makes the most sense, and gives the most template diversity. I don't believe there is ANY reason at all that a character with just one school of magery (IE FOCUSED) shouldn't be able to have 30 SDI if all other classes get 20. The other system with 30, 25, 20 SDI is convoluted and unnecessary.

Combat mages are not overpowered right now, and it makes no sense that they should be getting a -5 SDI nerf while other classes get a buff.

I don't think parry mages will be overpowered either with 30 SDI with the rest of the changes. Every other class in the game will be getting a buff besides archery, so it should balance out. Mystic mages, necro mages, melee, deathstriker, all buffed. So the idea that parry mages need a nerf WITH other classes getting buffed is wrong.

The aforementioned changes are the starting point, messing with anything else without real testing in a live environment is just asking for balance insanity. And seriously, everyone should get on board with this because we are gonna end up with a really REALLY bad game if we don't unite because these devs really have no clue. Yes, you might not be getting EVERYTHING you want, but you never will.

If you made these changes, no ones suits would be ruined, people would have meaningful choice between parry mages, combat mages, mystics, and necro mages. Melee champs would be useful again, and new characters would be invented.

and obviously remove the SSI thing.

@Bleak @Mesanna @Kyronix

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Bleak @Kyronix @Mesanna

with all due respect, id suggest going home, enjoying the holidays, and coming back after the new year with a clean mind for all this.

simple is best. these are way too many changes that seem to have been made for the sole purpose of changing something, not for any kind of benefit to the game.

Kiss Of Death

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suggest to remove the splinter/ disarm change.

I just wanted to remind all the pvpers and the developers that before splintering came out if u had a fight melee dexer vs melee dexer if u were getting disarmed u just kept running. It was silly. A fight would never end. Leave splintering and disarm please. The main purpose of splintering is to work when u are disarmed

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Honestly I appreciate that pvp is getting this much attention finally. I can't begin to imagine what a pain in the neck it is to dabble in our crazy little pvp community..

However, with the pvp community, less is more. You can't just charge in and essentially rework and nerf/buff every single template available in one swoop. If these proposed changes go through... every mage suit is worthless and needs to be reworked, melee pvpers are even more useless, every mage will still be alchy/parry because the damage and survive-ability is still better than any other mage build.....

We went from addressing a couple of balance problems to reworking the entire wheel. No matter what you do or what template you try to tamper with people WILL complain. Especially when it is a build that is the flavor of the month. That does not mean you should listen to every single little complaint or praise either. Try pvping with us a little and see for yourself what is working and what needs to be modified a little. But please please please do not go through with this last update.

Leave focus mage damage alone, leave SSI alone, remove the tactics requirement, the moving shot change was already great... and yes (hides from tomatoes) add parry to the focus casting restriction list.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can't even... bahahaha

Theres pieces of this that are really good, or steps in a good direction. Then there are others that you just have to be like... wtf? lol

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Revert. ABORT. Do Not Pass Go. Do Not Collect 200$

a 40% Decrease in DPS with 4.0s Weapons. Really? Really really? Are you sure you want to do this?

Do you really want to make all weapons slower than 3s obsolete?
Obviously weapon specials matter here, I'm just showing that any weapon beyond 3s will be pointless because of the scaling of the base damage.

Bone Harvester - 3s (1.25s swing) 13-15 base damage. a factor of 11.2 Dps before all other modifiers.
Longsword - 3.5s (Now 1.5s swing) 15-16 base damage. 10.3 Dps Before all other modifiers
Viking Sword - 3.75s (Now 1.5s swing) 15-17 Base Damage. 10.7 Dps before all other modifiers
Halberd - 4.25s (Now 1.75s Swing) 18-19 Base Damage. 10.6 Dps Before all other modifiers.

Radiant Scimitar - 2.5s (1.25s swing), 12-14 - 10.4 Before all modifiers
Double Axe - 3.25s (1.5s Swing) 15-17 - 10.6 Dps before all modifiers

Get the picture?
Not saying I agree with the change. But why should every weapon be able to be maxed out?

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok so...I tested these weapons. Nothing to worry about here, they completely suck and we're a waste of coding.

Well I didn't test the bow. But the club and axe..yeah! No worries lol

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not saying I agree with the change. But why should every weapon be able to be maxed out?
They shouldn't. But it's been that way for years, you cant change it now. The games 20 years old.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They shouldn't. But it's been that way for years, you cant change it now. The games 20 years old.
I agree it's been that way for awhile. Instead they should increase the base damage on say halberds and maybe look at tweaking specials down the line to modernize them, and incentivize them. As of now there's little variety imo. No one uses a halberd..well because it sucks. No one uses a repeater because..it sucks. You're looking at butcher knives, kryss, warfork(not so much recently), comp bow, bow, are legit the main weapons. Then you add in a few situational weapons like the waki. The ssi change doesn't change much. It's a stupid fix to begin with. It really shows how little they understand. Don't need weapons to be nerfed out of extinction, just balance them. Here's a small example of what I'd consider "balanced"

--------------
Composite Bow-Base
Now. (Updated)
Weight: 5 (25)
Physical DMG 100%(same)
Weapon Damage 16-20(14-18)
Weapon Speed 4s (4.25)
Range 10(9)

Special: Armor Ignore , Moving Shot

AI Capped in PvP 40
Moving Shot 2.25s Delay after use and successfully hitting the target.(No mana used unless successful) - Depletes 10 Stamina on miss
Elemental Damage 75% What's on Bow 25% Physical
If bow is 100% Poison (75% Poison, 25% Physical)
If bow is 100% Physical( 100% Physical)

-------------
Now to make other weapons more useful.

Halberd
Now (Updated)
Weight : 16 (30)
Physical Damage: 100% (Same)
Weapon Damage: 18-21 (22,25)
Weapon Speed : 4s (4.25)
Str Req : 95 (100)

Special : Whirlwind, Concussion Strike (Heavy Whirlwind, Concussion)

Heavy Whirlwind: . It allows a single warrior to damage multiple targets within a 2 tiles radius in a single attack. Heavy Whirlwind is limited to aggressors; it will not cause damage to party members, allies, or innocents. 25% Damage Buff if 100 Tactics or Greater, can Exceed 100% Cap.

Concussion Strike: The Concussion Strike applies between 20- 30 direct damage scaling based on Weapon Skill, Tactics)
Mana Cost: 20
Melee weapons mana drain max 80% and return max 60%.
Two handed melee weapons mana drain max 80% and returned max 30%.
Damage is Halved if Weapon if balanced.

-----------

I think we can all agree the game needs retooling for the modern era, instead of basic bandages that are just that, bandages that won't really fix the core issue. Just Increase an issue elsewhere. Fix IT!

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suggest to remove the splinter/ disarm change.

I just wanted to remind all the pvpers and the developers that before splintering came out if u had a fight melee dexer vs melee dexer if u were getting disarmed u just kept running. It was silly. A fight would never end. Leave splintering and disarm please. The main purpose of splintering is to work when u are disarmed
You like to abuse the most overpowered things in game and defend them. You also came to stratics claiming 48 damage holy fist that is not interruptible and casts super fast was a fair spell (when you used it).

Listening to your opinion makes me cringe.

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree it's been that way for awhile. Instead they should increase the base damage on say halberds and maybe look at tweaking specials down the line to modernize them, and incentivize them. As of now there's little variety imo. No one uses a halberd..well because it sucks. No one uses a repeater because..it sucks. You're looking at butcher knives, kryss, warfork(not so much recently), comp bow, bow, are legit the main weapons. Then you add in a few situational weapons like the waki. The ssi change doesn't change much. It's a stupid fix to begin with. It really shows how little they understand. Don't need weapons to be nerfed out of extinction, just balance them. Here's a small example of what I'd consider "balanced"

--------------
Composite Bow-Base
Now. (Updated)
Weight: 5 (25)
Physical DMG 100%(same)
Weapon Damage 16-20(14-18)
Weapon Speed 4s (4.25)
Range 10(9)

Special: Armor Ignore , Moving Shot

AI Capped in PvP 40
Moving Shot 2.25s Delay after use and successfully hitting the target.(No mana used unless successful) - Depletes 10 Stamina on miss
Elemental Damage 75% What's on Bow 25% Physical
If bow is 100% Poison (75% Poison, 25% Physical)
If bow is 100% Physical( 100% Physical)

-------------
Now to make other weapons more useful.

Halberd
Now (Updated)
Weight : 16 (30)
Physical Damage: 100% (Same)
Weapon Damage: 18-21 (22,25)
Weapon Speed : 4s (4.25)
Str Req : 95 (100)

Special : Whirlwind, Concussion Strike (Heavy Whirlwind, Concussion)

Heavy Whirlwind: . It allows a single warrior to damage multiple targets within a 2 tiles radius in a single attack. Heavy Whirlwind is limited to aggressors; it will not cause damage to party members, allies, or innocents. 25% Damage Buff if 100 Tactics or Greater, can Exceed 100% Cap.

Concussion Strike: The Concussion Strike applies between 20- 30 direct damage scaling based on Weapon Skill, Tactics)
Mana Cost: 20
Melee weapons mana drain max 80% and return max 60%.
Two handed melee weapons mana drain max 80% and returned max 30%.
Damage is Halved if Weapon if balanced.

-----------

I think we can all agree the game needs retooling for the modern era, instead of basic bandages that are just that, bandages that won't really fix the core issue. Just Increase an issue elsewhere. Fix IT!

They actually should do none of this, because they cant even balance simple things.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They actually should do none of this, because they cant even balance simple things.
Realistically...100% true. However what would you consider a cap for single strike damage in UO should be for pvp?