• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] 25th Anniversary Gifts Available on TC1

Miretar

Journeyman
Considering the time & effort that went into previous anniversary gifts You are right, I won’t let this stuff clutter up my inventor.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For a regular anniversary ok stuff. for the 25th sadly pathetic but fitting of the current developers....
Didn't we get the Harp Moribus and pearl last year? These seem the same quality. Plus the shield has a written thanks.

What Anniversary gifts were so great? They are all deco or hold deco.

Our first gift was a wristwatch or lump of coal. Looks like they have kept pretty steady.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Didn't we get the Harp Moribus and pearl last year? These seem the same quality. Plus the shield has a written thanks.

What Anniversary gifts were so great? They are all deco or hold deco.
Come on it's a quarter of a century anniversary surely even a fanboi of your magnitude can agree they are meh at best..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Come on it's a quarter of a century anniversary surely even a fanboi of your magnitude can agree they are meh at best..
I have no idea what deco I would want. Nor could I create anything praiseworthy. They make it I grab it.

Maybe you should find somewhere else to spend your 16 bucks a month since nothing makes you happy.

Miretar

Journeyman
A 25th anniversary should be a special celebration. This should have been the occasion for the devs to pull out all the stops and do something special And to show how much they appreciate player support over the years. Look at all of the beautiful items that have been created in the past—these gifts just don’t compare. As a long time customer I am not getting the impression that my support is valued.

A selection of new, free crafting recipes ranging from decorative items to weapons and armor would be a good place to start.

Other suggestion:
1. A grandfather clock
2. A small pedestal topped with a flame
3. a selection of flowering plants and shrubs
4. new house tiles
5. customizable castles and keeps.
6. New furniture and deco that looks to the past and evokes such epochs as art nouveau or Georgian.
7. paintings and sculpture, and no nothing that includes a UO logo please.
8. a unicorn tapestry

Look about the logo. I know what it looks like—I don’t consider beautiful or decorative enough to place in my home.

Furthermore the anniversary should be celebrated with special events and quests.
This is supposed to be an exciting occasion and an opportunity to bring in new players.

Where is the build up? Where is the hype?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
There is still a few months before the actual anniversary...before we get all *OMG THIS SUCKS*

Why don't we wait and see what else they might have planned?

I think...and this is just my opinion...that the reason the Spring Fever/Wrath of the Fey event went on for so long...is because they were taking that 3 months to work on something super cool for the 25th like they did for the 20th.

The 20th event arc was SUPER cool so I am holding out hope that they have something equally cool for the 25th and that 3 months we spent fighting over eggs was spent wisely.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There is still a few months before the actual anniversary...before we get all *OMG THIS SUCKS*

Why don't we wait and see what else they might have planned?

I think...and this is just my opinion...that the reason the Spring Fever/Wrath of the Fey event went on for so long...is because they were taking that 3 months to work on something super cool for the 25th like they did for the 20th.

The 20th event arc was SUPER cool so I am holding out hope that they have something equally cool for the 25th and that 3 months we spent fighting over eggs was spent wisely.
Communication....

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The thing with that is...if they say *Hey we are doing that*

Half the people will go

*Why the hell are you doing THAT? Why don't you do THIS??*

If they do THIS...the other half of the people will go *Why the hell are you doing THIS? Why don't you do THAT??

It's a lose/lose situation...the reactions and feedback they get is 90% negative no matter what they do...

It's better to ask for forgiveness then permission.

They know that 90% of the feedback will be negative no matter what they do so they might as well just do it so they don't have to hear the crap twice.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Half the people will go

If they do THIS...the other half of the people will go *Why the hell are you doing THIS? Why don't you do THAT??

It's a lose/lose situation...the reactions and feedback they get is 90% negative no matter what they do...

They know that 90% of the feedback will be negative no matter what they do so they might as well just do it so they don't have to hear the crap twice.
I think a simple "we are planning some big events for the 25th anniversary that will begin in Sept - stay tuned!" would suffice for most. It would tell us they do have some big things planned while also not opening it up to be a brainstorm session.

That said, our only gauge at this point is the 25th anniv gifts which unfortunately don't seem to align with a big special anniversary but rather "just another". I think that if the past is any indicator, we are getting these gifts for the 25th anniv whether we like them or not because this team has proven they do not really take constructive criticism well and more times then not will dig in when people express disappointment with their ideas.

I hope you are right and there is some really awesome stuff in the pipeline and some big event arc(s) to participate in but based on what I've seen in the past few years things have more of a cruise control feel.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Half the people will go

Ma'am I respectfully disagree to say it's hard and people are mean just a giant cop out most of the communication we'd like needs no reply even
Bug section each bug should have
1.logged 7/13
2. Reproduced xxx
3. Fixed xxx
See no feed back needed
I've suggested a 5 on Friday etc
A road map etc
If the team too thin skinned hire a publicity person...
I've pointed out how other games are we deserve better

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We tried a 5 on Friday idea some years ago. Instead of getting questions the team could answer almost every 'question' was a 'gimme'. Can we have this, can we have that. That's why it stopped.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
that guy Calvin was there too. i remember he would try to give an answer and then get a look from messanna like , zip it .

this was the times the put the questions on video of course. somewhat comical but very uncomfortable to watch , and for them too i'm sure...

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We tried a 5 on Friday idea some years ago. Instead of getting questions the team could answer almost every 'question' was a 'gimme'. Can we have this, can we have that. That's why it stopped.
Pre filtered question by @Petra Fyde. Sure it was boring..

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards

Half the people will go

Exactly.
as soon as they announced that
then there would be a hundred questions to follow it up.

And for people saying for them to communicate with videos...
the last videos they had on you tube,
people were propositioning Tori &
when she wasn't there, they were still asking about her.

not to mention all the people complaining about the bugs
that they already know about (which were already on the long list of things for them to fix)

or people just telling them to get rid of low population servers,
which is something they will never do

everybody has different ideas of what gifts they would like in game or new adventures/Treasures of Events. It is hard for them to make everyone happy all of the time.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
one free month of gametime? woooo!

wait i am reading a message...
they only gave us one free month...:rolleyes:

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ok let's say we are wild mad dogs and any direct communication out of the question.
why can we not acknowledge and be accountable for bugs ?? This is truly the most important thing

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are bugs with the items that this thread is about?

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sorry - I don't buy it and do not give the Dev team a pass for giving zero communication on their road map for something like a newsletter. If they don't want to reply to people on the forums where more trolling happens that is fine but to not even give the player base an update of what they've been working on for the last X months and what to expect is literally bare minimum effort (to actually do something versus their bare minimum effort now which is literally nothing).

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well only that you can't see them in trade window
All items that go into the top of a container do that. It is annoying when it is an EM event item that just dropped and you have to trust that some stranger put it in.

That's why you tell someone to put it in a 6gp bag.

Did you post a bug report on it or do you just complain with no purpose?

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
All items that go into the top of a container do that. It is annoying when it is an EM event item that just dropped and you have to trust that some stranger put it in.

That's why you tell someone to put it in a 6gp bag.

Did you post a bug report on it or do you just complain with no purpose?
Again i asked for better communication and you label it as complaining

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Again i asked for better communication and you label it as complaining
You want them to invite you to report bugs? They already have, so yes, bringing it up and doing nothing on your part is just complaining with no purpose. If something bothers me enough, I write a bug report. Most of the ones I wrote were fixed.

They did not fix it when I reported that the dragon cannon does not destroy my neighbors house, or when I said everyone should hear my parrot.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You want them to invite you to report bugs? They already have, so yes, bringing it up and doing nothing on your part is just complaining with no purpose. If something bothers me enough, I write a bug report. Most of the ones I wrote were fixed.

They did not fix it when I reported that the dragon cannon does not destroy my neighbors house, or when I said everyone should hear my parrot.
Show me one post on the bugs forum where a bug is acknowledged reproduced then fixed this is something that should happen with every bug posted i suppose asking about the inconsistency of bug fixed you know like the pet costume hot fixes..I'm really not the bad guy here in fact your staunch fanboi defense and hostility towards any one who post something you even vaguely perceive as negative is for worse than my as you call it "complaining " you've created a culture of fear no one wants you to sugar troll them how many customers have you pushed away i wonder???

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Show me one post on the bugs forum where a bug is acknowledged reproduced then fixed this is something that should happen with every bug posted i suppose asking about the inconsistency of bug fixed you know like the pet costume hot fixes..I'm really not the bad guy here in fact your staunch fanboi defense and hostility towards any one who post something you even vaguely perceive as negative is for worse than my as you call it "complaining " you've created a culture of fear no one wants you to sugar troll them how many customers have you pushed away i wonder???
Just because you want them to follow a certain format does not mean they will. Did you email Mesanna and request this specific format that you want them to have? Or should they read your mind?

I encourage people to post bugs, just like I am asking if you reported this issue which is only in CC, you just complain about everything and do nothing else.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just because you want them to follow a certain format does not mean they will. Did you email Mesanna and request this specific format that you want them to have? Or should they read your mind?

I encourage people to post bugs, just like I am asking if you reported this issue which is only in CC, you just complain about everything and do nothing else.
Lol i think what I'd like is pretty clear

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I’ll say this the inconsistency of this team is mind boggling to be polite

maybe it’s the wine ;)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It was pretty harsh when they showed the first live footage back in the first video of NL and a fair amount of freeshard people in chat had nothing better to say than "lol 10 fps client". But who can blame them for not living in Bonnie's bubble.

Archangel0

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some people just complain WAY too much, it's even worse than the lack of response from the Devs, so it makes me empathize with said Devs.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some people just complain WAY too much, it's even worse than the lack of response from the Devs, so it makes me empathize with said Devs.
They gave him a person to communicate to and he balked. Expected

Inkboy the Wild

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You aren't wrong. It does feel a little "light" for a 25th anniversary gift and sort of feel like the gifts from the past few years like the opal and bronze etc. Unfortunately the creativity side of the house has been lacking for several years in many areas. Nothing wrong with these gifts as it gives people who like to hoard junk, more of it to collect but I agree that we've arguably had better gifts for other random years than this (thinking to the year we all got those horse statues).

If they wanted to re-use anything you would think they would re-use the horse statue (we got this for a random year like 16th anniv) and make it a "silver steed" that works very similar to those other statues and maybe give the horses like swamp dragon stats (and maybe even allow a dragon barding deed to be used on them)? Even the thought on the container seems re-used; "25th Anniversary Gift Box". It's just a wooden box dyed silver. Why not just make a small tweak here and make it a silver color "strong box" that says something like "25th "Silver" Anniversary Strong Box". It's just a small tweak but it's something with a fresh twist instead of "X Anniversary Gift Bag/Box". Definitely feels like they are looking to take the path of least resistance (effort).

View attachment 132047

The 25th year gift for me will likely be just like the past several years; I'll claim 1 of each and throw the rest of the tokens on my home shard in a bag while not even bothering with any other shard.
I am really shocked by the small minority of posters who are complaining about the 25th anniversary gifts. It's a gift. It's a special "thank you for being here" and that should be something you appreciate and respect. It's not something any one is entitled to - again it's a gift.

Of course with a number of people, you're not going to be able to make everyone happy and people are going to say what they think things should be but those people aren't the ones who are taking care of this game and ensuring that it is STILL here for us to play 25 years later.

Mesanna and her team work very hard towards the benefit of UO and its longevity -- and we likely wouldn't have the game anymore if it were not for them.

Either way.. it is a gift people... why is it so hard to just be thankful you received it ?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mesanna and her team work very hard towards the benefit of UO and its longevity -- and we likely wouldn't have the game anymore if it were not for them.
It seems a lot of posters work very hard towards the opposite.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Maybe not an "official" game for a sub, but UO will always be playable.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I am really shocked by the small minority of posters who are complaining about the 25th anniversary gifts. It's a gift. It's a special "thank you for being here" and that should be something you appreciate and respect. It's not something any one is entitled to - again it's a gift.

Of course with a number of people, you're not going to be able to make everyone happy and people are going to say what they think things should be but those people aren't the ones who are taking care of this game and ensuring that it is STILL here for us to play 25 years later.

Either way.. it is a gift people... why is it so hard to just be thankful you received it ?
^^^ This sounds like a "if it's free it's for me" post.

If people like the gifts that's great for them but I think the majority (not minority) of people see the lack of effort that went into the 25th (BIG) anniversary gift. Sure you can take the "something is better than nothing" approach and be happy for some reskinned gifts or things with very little "wow" factor and that's fine. But I'd probably stop short of telling people that they should be thankful for a lackluster "gift" (especially when people PAY a subscription). When you have the 16th anniversary gift outshining the 25th anniv gift, you know there are issues.

I understand it's a gift but personally I would rather not even receive the "gift" so it doesn't clutter up my backpack/house. I've only logged in with 3 chars in the past 2 months so I have the tokens on those chars but these items aren't going to make me log into the other chars on my home server to claim them (let alone any other shard to trade). Many of the tokens will be unclaimed on my accounts and the ones that I do end up getting just because I might log on to a character when they are given will either be trashed or sold.

That said, in real life I would rather you get me nothing rather than the last minute dollar store obligatory gift just to say you got me something. Some people just like to check boxes though and the people they get things for just like free stuff.

Thargor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The main part about these gifts that they dont consider people who are not into decor. Can only have one house per account per shard. What other chars from other shards same account suppose to do with them? How much more decor some one need, i would rather see something usable by char everyday, on every shard , on same account

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The sign looks alright I will place one the crystal head I wont place or own until Danny boy gives UO the ok for copying his drink he owns the copyright and trademark on it.

Inkboy the Wild

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
^^^ This sounds like a "if it's free it's for me" post.

If people like the gifts that's great for them but I think the majority (not minority) of people see the lack of effort that went into the 25th (BIG) anniversary gift. Sure you can take the "something is better than nothing" approach and be happy for some reskinned gifts or things with very little "wow" factor and that's fine. But I'd probably stop short of telling people that they should be thankful for a lackluster "gift" (especially when people PAY a subscription). When you have the 16th anniversary gift outshining the 25th anniv gift, you know there are issues.

I understand it's a gift but personally I would rather not even receive the "gift" so it doesn't clutter up my backpack/house. I've only logged in with 3 chars in the past 2 months so I have the tokens on those chars but these items aren't going to make me log into the other chars on my home server to claim them (let alone any other shard to trade). Many of the tokens will be unclaimed on my accounts and the ones that I do end up getting just because I might log on to a character when they are given will either be trashed or sold.

That said, in real life I would rather you get me nothing rather than the last minute dollar store obligatory gift just to say you got me something. Some people just like to check boxes though and the people they get things for just like free stuff.
Are you trying to imply that I play Endless Journeys? I've had at the least three to a maximum of six active accounts since three months after the game went online. There is nothing "if it's free it's for me" in my post.

It is also not about it being 'free stuff' simply for the sake of receiving something "free." It is simply about the fact that rather than wasting time complaining that you don't like what you received (if it's cluttering up your house or bank box give it away or trash it) -- simply be thankful that they continue the tradition of sending out yearly 'free gifts.'

Thank you for sharing your beliefs on gifting, @Keven2002 - myself, personally, take a different approach and am thankful when someone is thoughtful enough to give me a gift -- regardless if I feel it is up to my exacting standards. If I don't like it, it ends up in the trash, re-gifted, or in a closet somewhere never to be seen again.

So yes, many of us have paid many of thousands into playing this game over the years ... it doesn't mean we should be complaining because a select number of people feel that the gift was not 'substantial' enough to please them.

Really

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
To be honest, my wife and I were more than happy with the anniversary gifts. Since I collect books (a collection I forgot to mention in another topic), the tome was a welcome sight. I also got the shield, which I hung at my keep. I still have eleven tokens, and I'm not certain what I'll do with them. I may just sell them cheap at some point, or possibly even give them away to players I meet along the way.

I honestly expect nothing as far as in-game gifts are concerned. Because of this, I am never disappointed. I either accept them or ignore them.

The biggest gift we get is the fact that we have been able to play this great game (warts and all) for twenty-five years and can continue to play the game a while still. That in and of itself is a pretty damn nice gift as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe I'm simply content with the game as it sits. Maybe I'm a fanboi. Either way, there are worse things I can be.

Happy Hunting!

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
@Corwyn Well said.

*waves his old friend and his wife over to his table by the fire*

Another round for us all! Heck open that special barrel of Good old Moonglow Red down in the cellar.

*drops a pouch of gold to the tavern keeper*