• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Ultima Online Newsletter

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tend to agree on the music, though I go back a bit further - but how many 20 year old tv series can you watch without feeling they're dated and trite?
I think a legacy shard would be a farce, but I love old tv shows and movies. I watch the Patty Duke show, and The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis once a year or so. An the only TV channel I watch is TCM. :p

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I think a legacy shard would be a farce, but I love old tv shows and movies. I watch the Patty Duke show, and The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis once a year or so. An the only TV channel I watch is TCM. :p
Well back in the day you had to actually make a good movie. There weren't exploding cars and specials effects to distract one from a weak story. Something like Arsenic and Old Lace I can watch several times a year. ....and the thread is officially off the tracks ;)

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And not Green Acres? *shakes head in disappointment* I noticed Dark Shadows somewhere. I always did want to watch that from the beginning. It was pretty much a soap opera and a little hard to follow without knowing all the nuances.
Eh they lost me when wilbur inherited the million dollars :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Gotta love how they say they can't just "flip a switch" to create a legacy shard due to stuff being lost along the way, when private shards have been doing it for over a decade. There used to be a private shard (hint: Magic Arrow) that copied pre-Tram UO almost exactly.
Uh, NO.

Private shards have NOT been doing what you claim.

Private shards start with a copy of the ancient code that got out into circulation well over 15 (18?) years ago, then the private shard runners have modified that ancient code on their own from there.

That's not anything resembling "turning stuff off in the current code".

That's like saying "All you have to do to get a Model T is to remove a few parts off that 2018 Mustang".

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really wish, they would set up set up one vanilla UO shard, one T2A shard, one UOR shard, one TD shard and one LBR shard.
Make numbers of logged in players public for those shards.
Just to prove how hard classic shards will fail after the initial hype and people would finally take off their rose-colored glasses...

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What a load of garbage, who cares about a legacy shard? the game was GARBARGE before item insurance. para prara para magic reflect para, spend 2 hours magic trapping a load of pouches until you run out of pouches.

What about a non transferable fel only shard? There is no reason why THIS cannot be done. It's practically the same as a legacy shard.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they were able to talk RG into coming to a cosplay picnic I'm pretty sure he'd come off any of the original expansion codes.

The loot table comment made me laugh. There weren't that many choices back then.

I enjoy pre aos play. There was no worry of powerscrolls or costly items to compete. Once skills were gmed and a gm crafter found, you were ready to play.

It may take a year from scratch But these basement kids are popping their versions out in weeks complete with micro transactions. Sounds like a lazy cop out to me. Sometimes you have to risk it for a biscuit.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If they were able to talk RG into coming to a cosplay picnic I'm pretty sure he'd come off any of the original expansion codes.

The loot table comment made me laugh. There weren't that many choices back then.

I enjoy pre aos play. There was no worry of powerscrolls or costly items to compete. Once skills were gmed and a gm crafter found, you were ready to play.

It may take a year from scratch But these basement kids are popping their versions out in weeks complete with micro transactions. Sounds like a lazy cop out to me. Sometimes you have to risk it for a biscuit.
Already stated that those basement kids already have that code done for them..... and that code comes from a time when it was preAoS... and they didn't have to move offices or lose that stuff.. the code they use for their UO is VASTLY different than what the DEVs have. It's not a crazy cop out and it's not a piece of cake you think it is.

Besides which it just doesn't matter they aren't doing it PERIOD... can we move on to something more productive please?

Don't you think we've beaten this dead horse enough yet? It's now pulverized into particles smaller than an atom...

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Already stated that those basement kids already have that code done for them..... and that code comes from a time when it was preAoS... and they didn't have to move offices or lose that stuff.. the code they use for their UO is VASTLY different than what the DEVs have. It's not a crazy cop out and it's not a piece of cake you think it is.

Besides which it just doesn't matter they aren't doing it PERIOD... can we move on to something more productive please?

Don't you think we've beaten this dead horse enough yet? It's now pulverized into particles smaller than an atom...
You can state whatever you think you know. I play some of these when I feel the need for change.

The code was pre aos or as we call it, and the basis of this conversation, classic or legacy shards. It was accidentally released in select store bought disks. It is in fact the exact base code the devs and freebies use which they add their creative touches to. It even comes complete with era correct loot tables.

It doesn't matter to me if it's done or not here. As I said, it's a cop out to keep from doing a little work. A few more subs couldn't possibly hurt.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It was accidentally released in select store bought disks. It is in fact the exact base code the devs and freebies use which they add their creative touches to. It even comes complete with era correct loot tables.
Not trying to offend you, but do you have any sources for this?

I ever since found that story very interesting and put a bit of research into it. From what it looks they released a full version of the server runtime (since it was with an offline demo), but not the code itself. People reverse engineered the heck out of it, extracted information (loot tables, etc.) and assets (gfx, sounds, etc.), and made what would become the basis of freeshards out of it. But they never released any code, as far as my research goes.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I ever since found that story very interesting and put a bit of research into it. From what it looks they released a full version of the server runtime (since it was with an offline demo), but not the code itself. People reverse engineered the heck out of it, extracted information (loot tables, etc.) and assets (gfx, sounds, etc.), and made what would become the basis of freeshards out of it. But they never released any code, as far as my research goes.
This is accurate.

Since then, most (if not all) freeshards have used a completely different (i.e. modern) backend that is far more updateable and easily configured. (There are more than 4 competing emulators) This is why freeshards can pick their features and era to emulate, for them its far more analogous to flipping a switch (mod).

None of this is exactly a secret, its all easily google-able.

DSC Napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Still nothing preventing people from playing on classic shard of the era they choose or making a new one.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The offline demo can be found on the retail T2A disc.
And yes, the source code of the binaries is not available there, but the server is not just binaries. There are quite a lot of scripts, which are on that disc in plain ASCII. Don't remember what scripting language it was, probably some proprietary...

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mesanna mentioned there was mass interest in a fel only shard a few Meet and Greets back,

I don't know why they felt the need to waste a newsletter article on telling us why there will be no legacy shard. She made no mention of why there will be any difficulties in setting up a non transferable fel only shard.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The offline demo can be found on the retail T2A disc.
And yes, the source code of the binaries is not available there, but the server is not just binaries. There are quite a lot of scripts, which are on that disc in plain ASCII. Don't remember what scripting language it was, probably some proprietary...
I believe UO was coded in an in house derivative of wombat.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
whenever someone says Legacy Shard i remember back to 1997-2000 and i remember how many keyboards i had to replace from beating them to death after something stupid happened in game.

while i fondly remember the game from back then i think remembering it fondly is exactly what i want to do.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just remember losing connection everytime someone rang my phone, and my phone rang a lot. The first time i ever saw an orange, i lost con as soon as he came on screen.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Mesanna mentioned there was mass interest in a fel only shard a few Meet and Greets back,

I don't know why they felt the need to waste a newsletter article on telling us why there will be no legacy shard. She made no mention of why there will be any difficulties in setting up a non transferable fel only shard.
probably one person using 10 chars/accounts to get point across

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My early memories are only from Trammel times... since I started after buying UO:R off the shelf at Wal-Mart. And my memories of that are how frustrated I was with my ISP at the time and how I'd play for 20 or 30 min until 5pm when people would come home to check their email and what-not and I'd then start playing the get booted every 5 to 10 min game until 8 or 9 pm and only be able to actually play from 10pm to 2am... or on weekdays I had off while kids were at school and no one was home... with some consistency. And getting told by the ISP that there was "noise" in my phoneline which was a bold faced lie...

At any rate I did like not having to care about much not having to have some mathmatics PhD to put my suit together... not needing charts and charts to keep track of things and such but you know... the thing I miss most was that Dragons were formidable. You didn't just walk up and 1 or 2 hit kill them... it took a guild to take one on... and an Ancient Worm was to be feared. Liches scared me... and Ancient Liches made me fear for my life. You don't do that now.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

The way M&Gs go is no matter how crazy the idea she will say they will look into it, that's a good idea or some such. I guess she became concerned that people actually thought she was actually going to look into this ;)

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I thought it was a really nicely written newsletter personally, not a "non informative pile of words."
  • Addressed the legacy server debate in a very well written and professional looking way, mentioning that everyone has a different favorite time period which makes that hard to agree on at all.
  • Explained that they can't flip a switch and revert it, and instead would have to rebuild it from scratch, and even said it would take them a full year to do that by itself.
  • Admitted that things have been lost in office moves which hinders the rebuilding effort if they were ever to do it.
  • Kept players updated on the swag store thing
  • Kept players updated on the bug patch
  • Advertised for Endless Journey
  • Advertised the next meet and greet
  • Subtly announced orc related content like orc armor and weapons, plus possibly a champion spawn eventually.
That all looks pretty helpful and informative to me.

You missed, "...putting the final touches on the UO Forums." Just for completeness sake. ;)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I believe UO was coded in an in house derivative of wombat.
Wombat actually is the inhouse derivate.

Two scripting languages. The main one was called Wombat, homegrown. An event-driven C-syntax language with its philosophy derived architecturally from MUD scripting languages in DikuMUDs, specifically Worlds of Carnage and LegendMUD (see http://www.raphkoster.com/gaming...). This basic scripting architecture is kind of the industry standard now, actually. All object interactivity, most game logic, most AI, etc, was written in Wombat. Exceptions included movement, combat, and all the "common" AI.
https://www.quora.com/What-was-the-technology-stack-driving-the-original-Ultima-Online-servers

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again though...Who is Messana talking to to get these "ideas" that this is what the "community" have been pushing for???
This hasn't been a serious topic for about 5 years, just keeps popping back up now and then when people cannot be bothered to read the originl posts about why we cannot have it.

Who is controlling UO???

I think it's about time she stops reading reddit, and her pimp squad and starts paying attention to the real players of UO here on Stratics.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Again though...Who is Messana talking to to get these "ideas" that this is what the "community" have been pushing for???
This hasn't been a serious topic for about 5 years, just keeps popping back up now and then when people cannot be bothered to read the originl posts about why we cannot have it.

Who is controlling UO???

I think it's about time she stops reading reddit, and her pimp squad and starts paying attention to the real players of UO here on Stratics.
She has her "pets" who don't play UO like the rest of us do... sadly... and even then who's to say who's playstyle is the "norm"???

I mean most of my play revolves around RP, PvM, taming, and design and deco. Is that the norm??? I pretty much play 20 characters at least... ranging from every sort of tamer imaginable to T-Hunting, Fishing, and such... on extremely rare occasions I play a sampire or a mystic Mage Weaver but more often than not I'm on my ABC Archer. Is that Normal???

I also avoid PvP like the plague that it is... as it often leads to nothing but drama... and at this point in my life drama is something I prefer to avoid.

Oh and I horde things... tons of things. So much so that I've had to horde accounts to feed the addiction to hording stuff in UO and unlike many folk I NEVER play Roulette with my accounts... my ADD prevents that sort of behavior... I'd forget to pay something lose a house and be so torn up I wouldn't want to play ever again. Just saying... now is that Normal??? Highly doubt it.

I'm just going to say finding what is NORMAL in the game would be just like trying to decide what exactly is a "classic" shard. Don't think you could define either... Just saying. It's not black and white you know.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
She has her "pets" who don't play UO like the rest of us do... sadly... and even then who's to say who's playstyle is the "norm"???

I mean most of my play revolves around RP, PvM, taming, and design and deco. Is that the norm??? I pretty much play 20 characters at least... ranging from every sort of tamer imaginable to T-Hunting, Fishing, and such... on extremely rare occasions I play a sampire or a mystic Mage Weaver but more often than not I'm on my ABC Archer. Is that Normal???

I also avoid PvP like the plague that it is... as it often leads to nothing but drama... and at this point in my life drama is something I prefer to avoid.

Oh and I horde things... tons of things. So much so that I've had to horde accounts to feed the addiction to hording stuff in UO and unlike many folk I NEVER play Roulette with my accounts... my ADD prevents that sort of behavior... I'd forget to pay something lose a house and be so torn up I wouldn't want to play ever again. Just saying... now is that Normal??? Highly doubt it.

I'm just going to say finding what is NORMAL in the game would be just like trying to decide what exactly is a "classic" shard. Don't think you could define either... Just saying. It's not black and white you know.
Oh I don't know reading what you wrote........... you could be describing me :)

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At this point I think classic should refer to Pre-AOS. I would be happy with a pre-AOS shard, can be up the the last patch before AOS for all I freaking care. Although no runics or powerscrolls cause those are the reasons AOS got made because they destroyed all the balance of the original combat system. I just want to play the older, simpler version of the game that doesn't need an excel spreadsheet just to make a desirable suit.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At this point I think classic should refer to Pre-AOS. I would be happy with a pre-AOS shard, can be up the the last patch before AOS for all I freaking care. Although no runics or powerscrolls cause those are the reasons AOS got made because they destroyed all the balance of the original combat system. I just want to play the older, simpler version of the game that doesn't need an excel spreadsheet just to make a desirable suit.
Exactly this. Any era pre-AoS. Funtimes, no calculator needed...

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
can be up the the last patch before AOS for all I freaking care. Although no runics or powerscrolls
You contradict yourself.
Pub 16 is pre-AoS. But Pub 16 also introduced champ spawns and thus powerscrolls.
Quod erat demonstrandum.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You contradict yourself.
Pub 16 is pre-AoS. But Pub 16 also introduced champ spawns and thus powerscrolls.
Quod erat demonstrandum.
Not really. You can still add/remove as needed. Yeah, in reality I want a Publish 15 shard [also with runics removed since they did exist in Pub 15]
Pre-AOS with all the game destroying stuff removed. No one liked a 120 fencer paralyzing people every 3 out of 4 hits. Or someone with an agapite or up axe 2 shotting you. Since the grandmaster 20% stacked with the dmg increase stats [Might, Power, Vanq etc]

Champ Spawns existed prior to Pub 16. They were added in 3rd dawn. Pub 16 just made them a bigger feature. It's much easier to remove a feature like the spawn altars from the dungeons and take runics out of the BOD loot tables than it is to re-write everything to say, a pre-T2a shard where they would need to re-write all the housing and some of the combat rules to make it era-accurate...

But that said I would be fine with even a Publish 16 shard un-edited. I know it won't happen. I would love to play such a shard officially, so the official game can benefit. but like others I can get that version of UO elsewhere when I am not in the mood to deal with excel spreadsheets and farming a billion ingredients to make a halfway decent suit that will eventually wear out and start that exhausting cycle all over again.

Last edited:

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Other games have Progression servers. Or you could also have few different servers, each with a different era. Then we don' even have to agree on what is considered legacy

Last edited:

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They could do a flying carpet... Ultima V style. It'd be like an ethereal steed: use the item in your backpack, and it pops out on the ground and you are seated on...
the graphic would be a footstool on a goza. This would lift off from the ground in the same way as gargoyle flight works: the object rises above the shadow.

It would be very much like gargoyle flight, using the same commands, and with the added benefit of being able to see, and use, gargoyle flight paths in Ter Mur and The Abyss.

... well, that was fun.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aaah. So you never played UO in its prime.
No had I played back then I would have the same attitude towards UO as my brother.... and I would have said "This game sucketh most verilly" And would have hated UO as passionately as he does. He told me I was insane for playing UO and it was a Pile of.... and proceeded to spout on about what a pile it was... and he couldn't believe that I liked it.

I know that attitude is shared by a great number of folk who tried UO sometime after launch and before Tram... While you guys look back fondly most of them don't.... they were your victims. Just because you can do something in a game doesn't mean you should.

I've always lived under the law of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."... Robbing others isn't something I would ever do. Again just because you can does not mean you should.

Battling the internet at the time was more than enough of a struggle I wouldn't have enjoyed battling the internet and a bunch of outlaws.

Yes I do go to fel from time to time.. but mostly because I'm forced to. If I didn't have to go there to get PSs I wouldn't set foot there... Save for the fact I own a Castle there. I have ZERO fondness for PvP anymore. Seeing and hearing too many cheaters bragging about this program and that program and what have you they use to PvP makes me think what a bunch of losers. I don't want to play with that sort.

And FYI it's been proven I don't know how many times that UO was at it's "Prime" AFTER Trammel... where it's population increased. It didn't start to decline until EQ and WoW became FAR more popular... my guess is pretty pictures and fancy graphics drew more away from UO than anything... and the lack of being harassed by other players as well as management of the game that actually treated the players with respect and not like a bunch of lowlifes... EA doesn't really have it when it comes to Customer Service... something I've noticed about other games is they actually do replace lost or stolen items... they do help you get your hacked account back and don't blame the victim... crazy concept I know.