• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Ultima Online Newsletter

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We have the official word on Legacy shards.

It is time to enjoy the game that has changed over the years just like we have.

Sorry, but this is just a typical "non informative" pile of words..
It really seems the Team is very disconnected towards what the current player base is concerned with.
It is evident that they are only focused on Endless journey,
which they are hoping will lure back defunct players & some Newbies in the hope that they will turn those players into revenue ($$$$) whether through ongoing subscriptions or store sales.
What about throwing a bone towards existing players, some who have subscribed for Years & motivate them to stay in-game?
It's like they have forgotten about their original "cash cows" & are solely focused on new blood to cash in on.
What an insult...
Surely EJ isn't that complicated to put up.
There has to be some sort of balance between the Old/loyal players needs for content & creating a new platform to lure New in & Old Players back.
I am an old player & am suffering immense boredom since there is nothing new on the Horizon.
Will there even be anything for Valentines Day this year???
Who knows... not even a whisper towards existing players.
I guess they already have our money & think that won't ever change!
Maybe I missed a Memo for some excitement somewhere for us Oldies?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I thought it was a really nicely written newsletter personally, not a "non informative pile of words."
  • Addressed the legacy server debate in a very well written and professional looking way, mentioning that everyone has a different favorite time period which makes that hard to agree on at all.
  • Explained that they can't flip a switch and revert it, and instead would have to rebuild it from scratch, and even said it would take them a full year to do that by itself.
  • Admitted that things have been lost in office moves which hinders the rebuilding effort if they were ever to do it.
  • Kept players updated on the swag store thing
  • Kept players updated on the bug patch
  • Advertised for Endless Journey
  • Advertised the next meet and greet
  • Subtly announced orc related content like orc armor and weapons, plus possibly a champion spawn eventually.
That all looks pretty helpful and informative to me.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Shocking that all of Mesanna's points eerily mirror my own from recent posts, its as if I know what I'm talking about or something...

5. Can you add other revenue streams into the City Stones from doing other content.

Currently, additional revenue beyond donations can be obtained from Trade Routes. At this time we do not have any other plans to add additional means. Please understand this is not a no we will not, its just lower on the priority scale with the other things we would like to do first.
Trade Orders and donations aren't the only way to increase a city's treasury, citizens can also buy titles (10K-50M) and banners (250K ea). All of that gold also goes to the city from which they were purchased.

Lastly, for the love of UO: POST THE NEWSLETTER ON UO DOT FREAKING COM! Wait a week for a sense of "exclusivity" if you really want, but seriously post them to the website.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I still can't figure this out:
Finally, this is not a small project and would effectively require the entire team devoting 100% of its development efforts to recreating the game world within the context of some agreed upon definition of a legacy ruleset. Even to return to a pre-AoS ruleset,
The basement kids do this all the time, some people call them freeshards.

Now that the holidays are over the team is back and working hard to finish up Endless Journey, putting the final touches on the UO Forums and getting the Ultima Swag Store ready and open for business.
I don't think EJ, with our disparity between established and new players, is going to do what they think it will. And there is still not a definitive comprehensive NPE setup. UOForums, I suspect, is gonna be a cheerleading section, where post like this a few above this one will be banished to the ether.

1 million might have played the game over thye course of 20 years, but I bet the number of actives right now is hovering around 3k. People that is, most have from 3-?? accounts, so the accounts still seem to be high. Hope the Swag Store is priced a bit more reasonably than all the other stuff they are selling, or else it probably won't do much after the first flush is past.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I still can't figure this out:

The basement kids do this all the time, some people call them freeshards.
Because:
1) They want to
2) They can spend whatever time and resources they want on it
3) They have no corporate entity to answer to
4) The already-made freeshard codebases have ruleset switches

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That;s the point. BS should get a copy of that setup, and claim it for their own-it is their IP after all. Patent or Copyright it or whatever-of course, they would have to add a handful of bugs to it to make that believable, but still...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That;s the point. BS should get a copy of that setup, and claim it for their own-it is their IP after all. Patent or Copyright it or whatever-of course, they would have to add a handful of bugs to it to make that believable, but still...
Now that I completely agree with! Though I'm sure EA's legal department would have to get involved, which would probably cost more than UO makes in a year.

But some of the free shards really do show what awesome things can be accomplished with the art. I drool over the pics of the one with intricate city architecture and transparent oceans. :drool:

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What's that address, subject line, etc, that they want us to send bugs to now?
I clicked the link and it opened microsoft mail but didn't start a new eletter for me.

jaraxlebaenrae

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Funny that other people who have less resources are able to figure out how to make a legacy server........

#region References
using Server.Network;
#endregion

namespace Server
{
public class CurrentExpansion
{
private static readonly Expansion Expansion = Expansion.HS;

public static void Configure()
{
Core.Expansion = Expansion;

bool Enabled = Core.AOS;

Mobile.InsuranceEnabled = Enabled;
ObjectPropertyList.Enabled = Enabled;
Mobile.VisibleDamageType = Enabled ? VisibleDamageType.Related : VisibleDamageType.None;
Mobile.GuildClickMessage = !Enabled;

but what do I know.........

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It worked fine for me with Windows mail, and it's not a NORMAL bug report.

It's specifically asking you for WHICH BUG YOU WANT FIXED MOST -

And asks what it is, and the usual bug questions (describe it; what is the expected result; what actually happens)

[email protected] is the base address - BUT, if you click through it in the right browsers (it worked for me using Chrome, running AdBlock), especially with your mail program already open, it fills the email out with subject and the questions to answer, then you go through and add the info requested.

IT looks like this (so, you could just copy this info into a blank email)

Subject: Bug Priority Report

{body of message below}

(Fill out bug priority reports using the format below)
The bug I would like to see fixed the most is:

The steps to reproduce this bug are:

The expected result of those actions is:

The actual result of those actions is:

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gotta love how they say they can't just "flip a switch" to create a legacy shard due to stuff being lost along the way, when private shards have been doing it for over a decade. There used to be a private shard (hint: Magic Arrow) that copied pre-Tram UO almost exactly.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
They could just have a poll to see which era people would consider a legacy rule set. That part does not seem like a big obstacle

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I DOUBLE DOG DARE ANY OF YOU COUCH CODER'S TO WALK INTO BROADSWORD AN SHOW THEM HOW.... IF YOU DARE!

Big words have been said before and 1 among you did and walk off tail between legs .....its not that simple.
Each time I hear(read) you all debase the Dev and anything they try to tell you I want to smack you up side your head.
They have no reason to debuff you from anything, they say the truth and you sit there and say LIE....

If you really think you can show them how it is so easy to do get off your arse , you know where the office is....
Go do it. I dare you to shut up and do it.
This is a Put up or shut up dare.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gotta love how they say they can't just "flip a switch" to create a legacy shard due to stuff being lost along the way, when private shards have been doing it for over a decade.
Doing what exactly, switching from expansion to expansion, or designing a legacy shard from scratch by flipping a switch? I don't think either is possible at that speed.
Unlike many other worthy ideas that they simply dismiss, this one actually got some thought on their part. They have an estimate of 1 year with devoting 100% of their resources to it. Does this estimate seem excessive to you, given that there is a 1 (one) full time coder on the team? Most freeshards I remember would spend 1 year or more prior to launch just playing with scripts and some customizations.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you read between the lines, it looks like the jewelry box is not going to be improved at this time.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you read between the lines, it looks like the jewelry box is not going to be improved at this time.
Nope it'll become a useless item like many others... forgotten. Nice thought not well put out... they could at the VERY least fix it so you can actually pick the thing up and move it... I don't have to empty my Davies Locker every time I want to move it.... I shouldn't have to empty my jewelry box every time I want to move it.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Think about it.. She is right meaning Mesanna... if you took a poll of the meaning of legacy shard from all of us... you would be hard pressed to find a major group...
Pre T2A, Pre AoS, ect... and exactly what did you expect....
I for one told you the MASTER NOTEBOOK was destroyed by an EA moving team.
I cant blame Draconi how did he know EA would have their idiots go in and shred the lot. instead of shipping it off to Mythic.
Contrary to all who think its so easy to start from scratch without the original bit maps and the binder filled with all the makeup code...
As I said before If any of you think you can do it better and faster I dare you to go to Broadsword and show them... if not .... learn to except you cant have your cake and eat it too.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I bet those other games had one saying the same things. But they also had people higher up the chain who were thinking forward and were interested in finding a solution, rather than excuses. "A fish rots from the head down".

Anyway, as soon as someone at EA figures a legacy shard could be a thing, we will see Mesanna's reasoning go south very quick..

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just for fun, start a poll to define "classic"... See how that goes. *smiles*
Been there, done that. New Classic Shard Poll

IF they did it, and you played it, I believe you would be severely disappointed. The world of gaming has moved on, you have moved on. You're not the same people you were then, your expectations are higher

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Been there, done that. New Classic Shard Poll

IF they did it, and you played it, I believe you would be severely disappointed. The world of gaming has moved on, you have moved on. You're not the same people you were then, your expectations are higher
They should use in-game polls, each account has one vote.

That poll barely has 100 people voted, multiple votes allowed, and they are all Stratics users :rolleyes: Still there is already a trend towards T2A, what you hear a lot from people asking for a legacy ruleset. Not so much "100 people, 100 opinions". But that's a good argument to cut it off altogether ;)

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Funny that other people who have less resources are able to figure out how to make a legacy server........

#region References
using Server.Network;
#endregion

namespace Server
{
public class CurrentExpansion
{
private static readonly Expansion Expansion = Expansion.HS;

public static void Configure()
{
Core.Expansion = Expansion;

bool Enabled = Core.AOS;

Mobile.InsuranceEnabled = Enabled;
ObjectPropertyList.Enabled = Enabled;
Mobile.VisibleDamageType = Enabled ? VisibleDamageType.Related : VisibleDamageType.None;
Mobile.GuildClickMessage = !Enabled;

but what do I know.........

Nothing apparently. Compile error: missing closing brackets ;-)

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
  • Addressed the legacy server debate in a very well written and professional looking way, mentioning that everyone has a different favorite time period which makes that hard to agree on at all.
I have to disagree - To me this is just an excuse because most of what I have seen it has been BS that makes the final decision on game mechanics despite the feedback they get from us. But... don't as me for specific examples :p

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They should use in-game polls, each account has one vote.

That poll barely has 100 people voted, multiple votes allowed, and they are all Stratics users :rolleyes: Still there is already a trend towards T2A, what you hear a lot from people asking for a legacy ruleset. Not so much "100 people, 100 opinions". But that's a good argument to cut it off altogether ;)
Less than 100 votes - well I didn't vote on it, I've no interest in a 'classic' server, I'm happy where I am. I'm guessing I'm not alone in that.

I dont listen the nowadays "Music" , I go to my youtube channel and still listen the old 80-90's songs, my Wife always say, "Are You stuck in the past?" and I have to say "Yes" because I cant stand some of the "current" Bands!
I tend to agree on the music, though I go back a bit further - but how many 20 year old tv series can you watch without feeling they're dated and trite?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Less than 100 votes - well I didn't vote on it, I've no interest in a 'classic' server, I'm happy where I am. I'm guessing I'm not alone in that.

I tend to agree on the music, though I go back a bit further - but how many 20 year old tv series can you watch without feeling they're dated and trite?
LOL majority of what we watch here is older than that-grit TV for westerns, METV for old tv shows, and TCM for movies...can't even remember the last time I watched a current show-its all junk

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Every night I watch MASH, andy griffen show and the golden girls. Also have leave it to beaver and the munsters on dvd to watch :)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Every night I watch MASH, andy griffen show and the golden girls. Also have leave it to beaver and the munsters on dvd to watch :)
And not Green Acres? *shakes head in disappointment* I noticed Dark Shadows somewhere. I always did want to watch that from the beginning. It was pretty much a soap opera and a little hard to follow without knowing all the nuances.