• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ultima Online Memorabilia (Pin & Map/s)

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I know this thread is 100 years old but I am interested in purchasing UO memorabilia of any kind.
Please contact me with pictures of what you have!

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I would love to get my hands on the real-life UO wearables too!

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i stuck my pin on my shirt i have hanging in my den
my cloth map is funny, back when the game started i could never remember which town was what so i translated the writing on the map and then i printed the name on the map with a permanent pen, haha, i should take a pic of that - how to destroy collectibles.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Here's the thing, if we allow or ignore sales for out of game items, we become a medium for facilitating the sell, regardless of if we sanction the sell or not. If someone scams another community member we're potentially stuck as the middle man for any arguments and discussion it creates. This is a bad enough situation when it involves virtual currency such as UO Gold, we don't really want it happening involving real life currency.

This type of situation is uncommon, real items for sale, it's only showed up a hand full of times that I can recall in the past few years, and when it has, telling the individual that we'd rather they not try to sell their items here on Stratics they've listened to our reasoning,considered and acted according to our wishes without complaint.

Now if we really need to add a line to our RoC about a situation that shows up once or maybe twice every 3 years or so, I'm sure that can be arranged, but it doesn't make much sense when a simple "Please don't sell things for Real Life Currency On Stratics" should suffice, especially for a situation that happens so rarely.

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have an original beta tester disc of UO's 3rd Dawn client/expansion...whatever you want to call that utter disaster.

Is that a collectible? lol

thomas k

Visitor
This site won't let me send you PM's. I suppose you can start a conversation by initiating the PM.

Here's the map:
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Pretty much been framed all these years so it's in mint condition.

Here's the pin:
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
This one's been boxed all these years. I lost the boxes and manuals over the years in moving houses
but somehow this pin made it inside a box that hadnt been opened for ages.

If you can't get to me either, on this site, you can reach me at kortpost at gmail.

[hr][/hr]
Rant:

Here's the thing, if we allow or ignore sales for out of game items, we become a medium for facilitating the sell, regardless of if we sanction the sell or not. If someone scams another community member we're potentially stuck as the middle man for any arguments and discussion it creates. This is a bad enough situation when it involves virtual currency such as UO Gold, we don't really want it happening involving real life currency.
Okay, I'm no lawyer but isn't that just silly?
Obviously the owner of the site can rule whatever he like (and stratics has a history of doing just that, being managed by self righteous amateurs
(atleast back in the day when I had a clue ;) )
but that sounded to me to be empty words with little meaning. The facilitators of the trade would be the postal service and paypal. Whining about a trade gone bad on the forum would be as silly as sueing the buss company if someone asked to buy my shoes while riding the buss and the trade went sour. It just doesnt make sense.

Whining takes place on a forum - It's what people do here.

I loved UO. It used to be the best game ever and I have alot of nostalgic feelings towards the game and so, to me and to many others these UO items are a real treasure and it should benefit everyone that they keep circulating and not just binned. These are very specialized items that, I'm sure, would have to be on Ebay for a very long time before someone thought of searching for one so im certain it's much better to go straight to the community and alert the fans that there are something to be had.

I can understand the hostility towards sales of virtual property and im sure that's where this hostility originates. It seems to me that somewhere along the line someone got confused and decided to attack sales of RL for RL (Wich goes on in every other hobby community I take part in). Virtual for $ is easy to scam. RL reciet for RL reciet takes more of a criminal. By all means though! I could be wrong...

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
This site won't let me send you PM's. I suppose you can start a conversation by initiating the PM.

Rant:

Okay, I'm no lawyer but isn't that just silly?
Obviously the owner of the site can rule whatever he like (and stratics has a history of doing just that, being managed by self righteous amateurs
(atleast back in the day when I had a clue ;) )
but that sounded to me to be empty words with little meaning. The facilitators of the trade would be the postal service and paypal. Whining about a trade gone bad on the forum would be as silly as sueing the buss company if someone asked to buy my shoes while riding the buss and the trade went sour. It just doesnt make sense.

Whining takes place on a forum - It's what people do here.

I loved UO. It used to be the best game ever and I have alot of nostalgic feelings towards the game and so, to me and to many others these UO items are a real treasure and it should benefit everyone that they keep circulating and not just binned. These are very specialized items that, I'm sure, would have to be on Ebay for a very long time before someone thought of searching for one so im certain it's much better to go straight to the community and alert the fans that there are something to be had.

I can understand the hostility towards sales of virtual property and im sure that's where this hostility originates. It seems to me that somewhere along the line someone got confused and decided to attack sales of RL for RL (Wich goes on in every other hobby community I take part in). Virtual for $ is easy to scam. RL reciet for RL reciet takes more of a criminal. By all means though! I could be wrong...
Well let me say I was trying to be polite in explaining it, without getting too technical, in a way which would minimize confusion. Obviously this didn't work, so let me get a bit more in depth. Let's look at Ebay, they are a medium for facilitating a business transaction between 2 or more individuals (a sell). They insure sells and provide mediators for users who feel they are being scammed or are having other problems with a seller, or for sellers who are having issues with a buyer not paying, or complaining about a purchase. This is to keep their reputation in tact as much as it is to help avoid any legal issues (justified or not) that could potentially arise.

Stratics doesn't do this, we won't be doing this, and prefer to keep out of game transactions off the public forums, we've reserved the right to forbid them in the site ToS. Now if someone wanted to create a private group using the "Guilds" function, require people to apply to join it, and keep the conversations in it non-visible to the general forum population, then by all means, go ahead.

But remember if this was to occur and it shifted into the realm of RMT for in game goods, or became a facility for any illicit activities the owner of that group would bear the brunt of any punishments handed down as the creator of a group is responsible for all content in it.

We don't moderate them the owner and those he selects have that responsibility, but a few of us do have the permissions to view and do checks for issues in any group regardless of it's settings, and will inform the group owner they need to fix any issues that pop up.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Sounds absurd. This is a fansite. Fansites are a place where fans of a particular thing can get together to talk about that thing. That might include real life cosplay, real life items we have obtained, or the virtual game since that's what UO is.
Such silliness, especially for something that comes up "so rarely". There aren't a flood of UO items out there. It's not like the site is going to become "Ebay" or anything near it.
Want to protect yourself from a lawsuit bc someone bought an item from someone they met on the forums? Put a line somewhere stating "Stratics is not responsible for any purchase made between users."
It's really quite simple. I know you wanted to make yourself sound so very smart by "simplifying" it for us dummies. But frankly Nexus, I cannot express how ridiculous that is.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Sounds absurd. This is a fansite. Fansites are a place where fans of a particular thing can get together to talk about that thing. That might include real life cosplay, real life items we have obtained, or the virtual game since that's what UO is.
Such silliness, especially for something that comes up "so rarely". There aren't a flood of UO items out there. It's not like the site is going to become "Ebay" or anything near it.
Want to protect yourself from a lawsuit bc someone bought an item from someone they met on the forums? Put a line somewhere stating "Stratics is not responsible for any purchase made between users."
It's really quite simple. I know you wanted to make yourself sound so very smart by "simplifying" it for us dummies. But frankly Nexus, I cannot express how ridiculous that is.
How about I phrase it this way then, talking about those items is fine, attempting to sell or advertising interest in purchasing them for real life currency on the public forums is not. It's as simple as that. I don't make the rules or set the terms of service, yet that is the way at least in the ToS it stands. If you want a swap shop for UO memorabilia then as I said before make a private group using the Guilds Function, and let people apply for membership, just remember the person who creates the group is responsible for the conduct that takes place on it.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the feedback! Perhaps you could have went a little bit easier on Nexus without the comments that he was trying to "sound so very smart" and catering to "dummies". Anyway,s the overall concept is very simple.

Talk about these items if you wish. Please to not use Stratics for the real money sale of anything. Thank you very much.

Silentfury

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I have an original beta tester disc of UO's 3rd Dawn client/expansion...whatever you want to call that utter disaster.

Is that a collectible? lol
I bought a 3rd Dawn Beta disk a while back to go along with my 2 versions of the Original Public Beta Disks. I don't think it cost me more than 10-15 bucks, but it was a nice addition to my UO Collection.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
How about I phrase it this way then, talking about those items is fine, attempting to sell or advertising interest in purchasing them for real life currency on the public forums is not. It's as simple as that. I don't make the rules or set the terms of service, yet that is the way at least in the ToS it stands. If you want a swap shop for UO memorabilia then as I said before make a private group using the Guilds Function, and let people apply for membership, just remember the person who creates the group is responsible for the conduct that takes place on it.
"The time has come, the walrus said, to resurrect again this thread" (Apologies, Reverend Dodgson...:D).

So, selling RL UO memorabilia (pins, maps, cd, whatever) for RL money is strictly forbidden here on Stratics (facilitation platform, etc.).

But:

1) is it legit to sell those memorabilia here for UO GPs only?
2) is it legit to publish here a link to one ebay auction of said stuff?

Cheers
SR

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
"The time has come, the walrus said, to resurrect again this thread" (Apologies, Reverend Dodgson...:D).

So, selling RL UO memorabilia (pins, maps, cd, whatever) for RL money is strictly forbidden here on Stratics (facilitation platform, etc.).

But:

1) is it legit to sell those memorabilia here for UO GPs only?
2) is it legit to publish here a link to one ebay auction of said stuff?

Cheers
SR
1) The Trade Forum Rules cover this.

Conducting any of the following commercial activities on Stratics is prohibited without permission of the Senior Leadership Team:
  • RMT or selling virtual goods or services for any real world currency / real life goods or services for any virtual currency.
  • Contracting to or hiring other users for out of game activities paid with in-game currency or items.
  • Contracting to or hiring other users for in-game activities paid for with any real world currency.
  • Sale or trade of game time or other game codes.
  • Sale or trade of game accounts for any game.
  • Sale or trade of items known to be illegal to own in game.

2) The Stratics Rules of Conduct cover this one in the content section..

• Posts linking to any 3rd party site which engages in real money transactions (RMT), which are not authorized by the Stratics Leadership Team.
    • For the purpose of this provision, the Stratics Leadership Team currently only authorizes linking to the Origin Store and the Shroud of the Avatar Store.

Ebay isn't authorized.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Hi!

OK, clearer now, many thanks for your quick reply! :)

Hmmm... I risk my life/account on Stratics if I note that the Rules, IMO, don't cover in a clear manner the case of:

- "Posts linking to any 3rd party site which engages" + "in real life (transactions of) goods or services for (any & only) virtual currency"? :D;)

SR

Last edited: