• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Ultima Online 23rd Anniversary Livestream & Major Announcement!

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
ONE shard....one new shard.....because that's going to help all the other shards become more populated?

I remember when they created Origin...I left Napa and never went back...

*sighs*

It sounds amazing....it really does....but what about the existing shards?

Morgana Grim

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL the website is down. Too much traffic.
Nah it just needs a little "kick" and a refresh from the updates they are putting up while they are talking. That's probably what Bleak is doing and why he seems distracted.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya players are saying. Please don't leave! Sounds like a Fel shard.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
ONE shard....one new shard.....because that's going to help all the other shards become more populated?

I remember when they created Origin...I left Napa and never went back...

*sighs*

It sounds amazing....it really does....but what about the existing shards?
Especially since it does not impact what your status etc is on the standard production shard.

So they basically created a grind that is sepearte from the original grind for people who do not get enough grinding on the original??? Or am I getting it wrong...

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Once we can get uo.com to load lol....not a fel shard, not a trammel shard...one facet...new ruleset but not going to lose the nostalgic uo feel...for those of you who aren't watching it

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
ok so it sounds like you can start on New Legacy grow yourself, then transfer everything to a production shard?

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
According to what Greg just said, once you forge your destiny on New Legacy and continue through the game and the path that you chose, you can take what you get FROM New Legacy and bring it back to a prodo shard. NO transferring TO the new shard

(Taler)

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds like they are making story shards that they will end then start new ones

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Not limited time....a more immersive experience and a different way to build and grow your character and your legacy up until the point the gem shatters. Once you've gone as far as you can into Britannia's History, the shard will *explode* and you can go back to prodo....then the New LegacyShard will start over with a whole new experience

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not limited time....a more immersive experience and a different way to build and grow your character and your legacy up until the point the gem shatters. Once you've gone as far as you can into Britannia's History, the shard will *explode* and you can go back to prodo....then the New LegacyShard will start over with a whole new experience
Its like Seasons in Diablo III Kinda

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does the bringing back mean we get an 8th character slot so that someone can come in?

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I hope they are recording this, too many questions I can't keep up and I can't comment on the stream to ask my own questions

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I hope they are recording this, too many questions I can't keep up and I can't comment on the stream to ask my own questions
its recorded

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What I'm kind of getting from this is that they are making this new shard their focus and will basically split their attention from new content on regular shards.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Maybe once everyone is on the new shard they will close all the others LOL :p

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I asked the question like 5 times about an 8th character slot and they ignored every one....I'll try asking on uo.com forums IF the website ever gets back online lol

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Now that it's officially over... I can say the MAJOR announcement landed pretty much where I expected.... short of the mark.

Had it not been hyped up for almost 9 months about the biggest announcement bringing all new players by the masses then it would have been interesting but lets be honest a new shard with a new subset of rules that they haven't even figured out yet isn't really all that earth shattering. I also feel like this Dev team wants to basically make their own mark on UO and this New Legacy shard is how they plan to do that which means it will get most of the attention while all the other shards get recycled events.

It kind of makes sense now that we've have almost zero new content up until about a week ago... putting in those hours on New Legacy.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Hmmm... so....
Does the bringing back mean we get an 8th character slot so that someone can come in?
C'mon now. You know that ain't gonna happen.

They have to revenue stream it some kind of way... and making all of the UO addicts have to get more accounts to stash their legacy characters who have "grown up" is that stream.

and they know even though we are making fun of it... pancakes about it... and laughing about it... our addicted butts WILL do it :lol:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I'm still confused how this will bring UO to the biggest audience ever, well she certainly played us, again.
Nah.. EJ did not get enough newbies. But this will. Sounds like a quicker way to train up etc. They will likely promote it a decent amount suck folks in hoping it hooks them to the lifestyle (and it is a lifestyle) that UO is.

kinda like a crack or meth dealer will give ya those first few hits for free... :thumbup1:

Gorokar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Does that mean there will be no more UO Expansions, only recycled events on original servers? So, it's over? I'm really confused

Pix

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I really don't understand how they think "this would bring UO to the largest audience ever" Mesanna .... when all it is a seasonal story U.S.-based shard. Significantly limiting (possibly not including) a large portion of the current UO population, because of connection issues. How is this bringing more people to UO, how is this reaching more players ??????

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
From the FAQ's

Q: Will I be able to transfer to/off of the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard?
Players will not be able to transfer to the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard. At the conclusion of the Shattering characters will be able to transfer off the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard keeping all their skill, stat, and legacy progress they earned to shards with available character slots. Non-shard bound items and items earned via the Legacy System can also be transferred off.

Notice it says WITH AVAILABLE CHARACTER SLOTS

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
From the FAQ's

Q: Will I be able to transfer to/off of the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard?
Players will not be able to transfer to the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard. At the conclusion of the Shattering characters will be able to transfer off the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard keeping all their skill, stat, and legacy progress they earned to shards with available character slots. Non-shard bound items and items earned via the Legacy System can also be transferred off.

Notice it says WITH AVAILABLE CHARACTER SLOTS
Who has a free character slot after all this time?? It's just another way to get people to make another paying account.

Told ya.....

Hmmm... so....

C'mon now. You know that ain't gonna happen.

They have to revenue stream it some kind of way... and making all of the UO addicts have to get more accounts to stash their legacy characters who have "grown up" is that stream.

and they know even though we are making fun of it... pancakes about it... and laughing about it... our addicted butts WILL do it :lol:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a slot open on each shard and account. That's how you get more stuff when its 1 per toon. Can get a new virtue tile every week. Also tabards. I also use open slots to transfer around.

I only have 5 toons total that really matter to me. The rest are disposable.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On a certain free shard we all know people are laughing so hard about this that some have actually wet their pants for real.

As was mentioned by one, "this is just a sugar coated way of saying 'That's it, no more expansions or new stuff on Official UO shards' and i kinda agree"
They are smoking pot if they think tonnes of new players are gonna join a shard with limited housing (one of the main draws for UO) and a sort of PvP but not ruleset, that gets deleted after a year.....when they can just join a production shard to start with and not have to think about what will get deleted after a year.
This may appeal to some Veteran players after some nostalgia but i seriously doubt any new player will look twice at this as more than the joke it looks like.

Only thing i saw from the "video" was how dated the original graphics look compared to the numerous other isometric rpg's floating around today......for less of a monthly sub.

This really is UO in Maintenance Mode.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If they want the old school feeling it better be WAYYYYY slower not quicker.
The way I took it is the old school feel they are going for is the nostalgia and addictive nature... not the grind

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Considering how long you've been playing you should know better.
When you are trying to groom a new addict you do not show them the bad side of things until they are hooked...

it ain't like the meth dealer takes a potential customer to the areas where chicks are selling themselves for $10 when they give them those first couple of hits...

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
While you are waiting for the next post to pop up.....

We only need $80 to fully fund Stratics for the year! While you are chatting let's wrap this up!

Who will be the one to put us over the top!!!

Fund Stratics before the UO Major Announcement!

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Here is one massive downside to their limited time shard... if I don't join within the first week or two I'm at a SEVERE disadvantage for the rest of the time it's active (before it shatters aka wiped) and let's just say it's a year period that it's active... well if we are 6 months into it then I'm definitely not going to start playing the shard at that point.

I understand the whole issue with new players trying to come up playing against people that have been around 23 years (playing) but personally I put those years in (and avoided being banned/trashing my account) to be established. I'm not going to go play a shard that gets wiped every X months to start over. Honestly if I wanted this then I'd just go play test center 1 where I can set my skills right away and go do whatever I wanted out the gates until it's wiped.