• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Ultima Online 23rd Anniversary Livestream & Major Announcement!

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Sad that we can't do this in person but am looking forward to seeing the team...T-Minus 23 hours and counting...

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'll hold judgement until the MAJOR announcement is made (because I'm confident many people won't lol) but there is an interesting exchange going on in the official forums here about the latest Black Gate event.

I'm glad Kyronix is actually responding with their logic of making the virtue stones 1x per char/shard bound/random but the logic being used isn't quite adding up. I won't go too far into how this discussion could have taken place 2 months ago had they released in on test but I will say that it really does seem like the Devs are losing (lost??) touch with the everyday player as there are several people on there that don't like how it was done (and then you have popps waving the pom poms) and therefore won't really do it more than once.

I hope that the MAJOR announcement isn't something similar that the Devs (and popps) think is earth shattering when in reality it's going to be ignored by the average player.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im still waiting on the grilled backpack for CC client that they mentionned in that 20th anniv. party.... 3 years later .. I'm really starting to loose patience over this team. No communication , no new encounters or actual content other than recycled events , just grindy quests for decos/revamp of cloth styling ...

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So will we get more vague hints about something to happen somewhere, sometime. Oh boy!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How does it work? Can people comment by voice or by text?

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This place is a Negative Filter Bubble.

Truthfully, it's why I have always had a problem with Stratics and many of the posters here.

Look at yourselves many of you, your mentality isn't good for you, and I'm talking about real life.

I'm trying to attach an article for you to read, and it isn't going well...

If anyone could help me post that article better, would be appreciated, take care all.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You’re making an observation of conduct that is rooted in a decade or more of being let down. Steam was announced 6 years ago, it hasn’t happened, they promise updates that will make the game “better” but we get grindy content that takes the game further and further away from its sandbox roots. They talk about attracting more players, but strip out new player friendly content as part of “refreshes”.

What do you expect when the game most of us fell for is vanishing with each content update?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm the opposite. I play every day and enjoy UO as it is.. Changes could mean a MAJOR disappointment for me, for a while, till I get used to it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Community is what drew me to UO... The RP some 15 to 20 years ago was amazing... even 10+ years ago was amazing... it has since been replaced with Greed, and soloistic play... Gone is the community I once really enjoyed. Now everything is about making a buck. How much is it worth... etc...

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You’re making an observation of conduct that is rooted in a decade or more of being let down. Steam was announced 6 years ago, it hasn’t happened, they promise updates that will make the game “better” but we get grindy content that takes the game further and further away from its sandbox roots. They talk about attracting more players, but strip out new player friendly content as part of “refreshes”.

What do you expect when the game most of us fell for is vanishing with each content update?
Of course I get your point, but it develops into an almost unhealthy obsession.
(I've been here almost from the start myself).

A proactive person would make the best of it, there is still a huge amount of fun to be had.

I'm the person who hates Trammel, hates EC, and hates Sampires, yet I'm still in Felucca, running a large highly active guild, having as much fun as possible.
Someone mentioned community - that is still there with effort, it can still all be done with a bit of effort.

If someone has a real problem with game direction, they need to say very clearly, and get support for their concepts, like I do with my issues...
If the logic is sound enough, the playerbase and Devs will see it.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll hold judgement until the MAJOR announcement is made (because I'm confident many people won't lol) but there is an interesting exchange going on in the official forums here about the latest Black Gate event.

I'm glad Kyronix is actually responding with their logic of making the virtue stones 1x per char/shard bound/random but the logic being used isn't quite adding up. I won't go too far into how this discussion could have taken place 2 months ago had they released in on test but I will say that it really does seem like the Devs are losing (lost??) touch with the everyday player as there are several people on there that don't like how it was done (and then you have popps waving the pom poms) and therefore won't really do it more than once.

I hope that the MAJOR announcement isn't something similar that the Devs (and popps) think is earth shattering when in reality it's going to be ignored by the average player.
Maybe they have drafted an answer to the vendor search thread. J/K, they just keep ignoring it :D

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Oh I don't know. While the RP community is smaller there are some nice pockets out there to engage with. Everything is what you make out of it.
Only if you want to go to another shard... I'd rather not.

Of course I get your point, but it develops into an almost unhealthy obsession.
(I've been here almost from the start myself).

A proactive person would make the best of it, there is still a huge amount of fun to be had.

I'm the person who hates Trammel, hates EC, and hates Sampires, yet I'm still in Felucca, running a large highly active guild, having as much fun as possible.
Someone mentioned community - that is still there with effort, it can still all be done with a bit of effort.

If someone has a real problem with game direction, they need to say very clearly, and get support for their concepts, like I do with my issues...
If the logic is sound enough, the playerbase and Devs will see it.
Checked Atlantic a few times today.

Most people *aren't* doing the new Black Gate quest.

A lot of people are simply sitting at the bank bored.

Simply put, this is just another grind with the obvious intention of being a time sink.

Players aren't getting the content they crave.
Anyone can see this.

A lot of people do not have enormous amounts of time to play, let alone grind constantly. Most simply do not wish to grind period.
People have been complaining about this in various forums consistently for years.

This is a terrible solution to keep end game players busy.
This is even worse for a casual or new player.

The newest content should be something most players are excited about and are participating in.

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I will make one major comment that no one can dispute:

After all this time - we still come back for more.

Sometimes it’s like love at first sight all over again. Other times (more often and recently) it feels like dealing with a psychotic ex-lover that you can’t seem to break ties with.

Either way - we are all here - we are making the best of it, but can feel however we choose. If people want to be positive, go for it. If people want to be negative, they are entitled and you shouldn’t tell them otherwise - it’s called free will.

It’s a game - do with it what you want. :)

*drops mic*

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Truthfully, it's why I have always had a problem with Stratics and many of the posters here.
Look at yourselves many of you, your mentality isn't good for you, and I'm talking about real life.
If anyone could help me post that article better, would be appreciated, take care all.
@TB Cookie [W] - I do agree with what you are saying in general, and I have liked some stuff the Devs have done which I've applauded when it's happened (sometimes being called a pom pom waver) but the truth is that it's been few and far between the last several years. On top of that, the more I read the official UO forum, the more I really do get the feeling the Devs are just completely out of touch with their audience and it's supported by the limited stuff they put out after so many people have asked for new content (literally nobody has said "we have too much content so just keep it the same").

Personally my biggest issue is about the limited content they put out (which many others have posted about). Which wouldn't be a huge issue if the content was good but that's seldom the case. The last decent content they put out was the high seas pirate hunting early last year. Some people will say it was "grindy" but at least it was something to hold your attention to work toward a Triton which is a worthwhile pet. Since then (we are talking like 15-18 months) we had a super weak "treasures of" event using the soulbinders that was way worse than the typical Halloween event and we have had a few repeat events (Krampus/ToT/Invasion which literally is a flip of a switch).

So here we are almost a year and half later and we get "Black Gate" which I've done a couple times and it would be "okay" if it was following some other event from Jul/Aug (not repeat content that was put out) but it's not even close to being up to snuff for the first new content of the year. Additionally, the Devs for some incredibly stupid reason decided to limit that new content (1x per char/shard bound/random reward)!! I'm almost at the point of being bored to tears with UO so I'd probably keep doing this event over and over to get the set just to have something to work towards but I can't even do that... I'm done after 7 quests and need to then pay for the rest. This was brought up to Kyronix and he has said multiple times it was intentionally done this way and it's not changing.

Since I do pay to play this game, I do expect a certain level of accountability from the Dev (if I didn't pay then I wouldn't care) and them adding like 5 new decoration packages to the UO store (when I already pay to play) is not good enough. So again I'm all for giving credit where credit is due but there hasn't been much to give credit for over the past year.

I'm not going to completely bash this announcement because I'm not sure what it is but if the past few years have been any indication of what to expect then it will likely fall short of the mark and be out of touch with what the general public wants (but hey maybe it will be great).

That said, based on all of the time and energy they spend on adding things to the UO store, I'm thinking they will announce they are going to do away with account subscription fees and go 100% to UO Store purchases like many other apps do which would turn all accounts that are EJ into real accounts and possibly bring back a large group of UO people and have several other new people join (since it's free and no limitations).

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Checked Atlantic a few times today.
Simply put, this is just another grind with the obvious intention of being a time sink.

Players aren't getting the content they crave.
Anyone can see this.
A lot of people do not have enormous amounts of time to play, let alone grind constantly. Most simply do not wish to grind period.
People have been complaining about this in various forums consistently for years.
This is a terrible solution to keep end game players busy.
This is even worse for a casual or new player.
The newest content should be something most players are excited about and are participating in.
Hi @Holding_Valuables - I've split your point into 2 sections to respond to each point that I can see.

I don't see Atlantic as the benchmark for activity, it is the merchant hub that is all. It has a lot of Luna Mint based players purely there for buying and selling, they don't actually participate in the game - for actual ingame activity, you need to go to guilds on other shards.
Far better quality PvP happens on Europa for example, we do more Harries than Atlantic for example.
I expect we will complete far more Black Gate content than Atlantic, because we have the foundation community to do it that Atlantic doesn't.
All Atlantic is set-up to do, is act as a hub for a large number of transitioning players to buy and sell, and their vendor search is even collapsing due to the weight of this.

"Players aren't getting the content they crave."
To a certain degree, I get you on this, for me, 2 of the last best rewards were the First Aid Belt, and Boots of Escaping.
The Invasion Spellbooks were amazing, and I also enjoyed the Titan Statues from the Khaldun Thief event, even though I failed to get one... {The thing about this game, whilst we all sit here complaining about lack of added content, I can sit here and reel off an absolute huge list of decent things they have implemented over the last 3 years, people forget so fast}.
The Jewellery Box should have had a search function.
MissE I believe said these Virtue Stones should give a small gain in Virtue once pressed to give them a practical use - I agree that would be very cool.
But I would say this - If you want better content - go and give them some ideas of what you want.
I would also say this, there is so much ingame content, no-one can really be sat at Luna bank with nothing to do, there is just so much, I need 4 of me to play this content fully.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hi @Holding_Valuables - I've split your point into 2 sections to respond to each point that I can see.

I don't see Atlantic as the benchmark for activity, it is the merchant hub that is all. It has a lot of Luna Mint based players purely there for buying and selling, they don't actually participate in the game - for actual ingame activity, you need to go to guilds on other shards.
Far better quality PvP happens on Europa for example, we do more Harries than Atlantic for example.
I expect we will complete far more Black Gate content than Atlantic, because we have the foundation community to do it that Atlantic doesn't.
All Atlantic is set-up to do, is act as a hub for a large number of transitioning players to buy and sell, and their vendor search is even collapsing due to the weight of this.

"Players aren't getting the content they crave."
To a certain degree, I get you on this, for me, 2 of the last best rewards were the First Aid Belt, and Boots of Escaping.
The Invasion Spellbooks were amazing, and I also enjoyed the Titan Statues from the Khaldun Thief event, even though I failed to get one... {The thing about this game, whilst we all sit here complaining about lack of added content, I can sit here and reel off an absolute huge list of decent things they have implemented over the last 3 years, people forget so fast}.
The Jewellery Box should have had a search function.
MissE I believe said these Virtue Stones should give a small gain in Virtue once pressed to give them a practical use - I agree that would be very cool.
But I would say this - If you want better content - go and give them some ideas of what you want.
I would also say this, there is so much ingame content, no-one can really be sat at Luna bank with nothing to do, there is just so much, I need 4 of me to play this content fully.
We have a lot more than buying/selling on Atlantic, and there are definitely groups that do stuff too. UWF and LLTS being the main ones (my guild *VK* used to be #1 on the shard for doing stuff until it died off a couple years ago too).

The difference is that people move around often due to options so don’t stay with the same group very long, compared to small shards where there is literally nowhere else to go so they stay in the same group or two forever.

For pvp, it’s mostly because all the Atlantic pvp’ers went to free shards. They do it every year or two and will show up again at some point.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have a lot more than buying/selling on Atlantic, and there are definitely groups that do stuff too. UWF and LLTS being the main ones (my guild *VK* used to be #1 on the shard for doing stuff until it died off a couple years ago too).

The difference is that people move around often due to options so don’t stay with the same group very long, compared to small shards where there is literally nowhere else to go so they stay in the same group or two forever.

For pvp, it’s mostly because all the Atlantic pvp’ers went to free shards. They do it every year or two and will show up again at some point.
Good to see you sticking up for your shard. :)

I'd forgotten about LLTS, yes, I really like them as a guild.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I don't get the whole concept with this release. It's one time per char. at best we hyave 7 chars, but there are 8 virtues...obviously they aren't mathematicians on the team.
Add to that, that most will have 2-3 chars on the account that are mules or weak enough not to be able to withstand the balrons or dragons. So in a society of collectors, they release content specifically designed NOT to be collected as a set.

And if you did do it 4 times with those 4 chars that are capable, you might end up with 4 of the same...since it's not a pick and choose thing. Now how did we not see that coming : LOL

The whole charade for the last 3-4 years has been ridiculous.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't get the whole concept with this release. It's one time per char. at best we hyave 7 chars, but there are 8 virtues...obviously they aren't mathematicians on the team.
Add to that, that most will have 2-3 chars on the account that are mules or weak enough not to be able to withstand the balrons or dragons. So in a society of collectors, they release content specifically designed NOT to be collected as a set.

And if you did do it 4 times with those 4 chars that are capable, you might end up with 4 of the same...since it's not a pick and choose thing. Now how did we not see that coming : LOL

Well... inb4 8th char slot announcement :p

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord

Friend, I see where you are coming from. It's not built as something that can be solo'd with one account. Sounds like the intent was to try and stimulate player interaction by trading and working together to complete your set.

I like the community aspect of that but, I think the community does that all well enough on their own. Look at the massive amount of trade that takes place in the holiday gift section for instance.

The very best way I have found to help one through these types situation is to make a small gift to the Stratics Community Fundraising Campaign lol

Trust me you will feel 100% better! Click here to feel better now, let the frustration all fade away!

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
That's the point....with 8 items to collect and most only having maybe 4 or 5 chars capable of doing the entire quest chain, it promotes INTER SHARD TRADING...*gasps*

The whole point of an MMO is the MULTI PLAYER concept......if you have a duplicate....ask in gen chat if anyone has one they have and are willing to trade....it's a novel idea ;)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's the point....with 8 items to collect and most only having maybe 4 or 5 chars capable of doing the entire quest chain, it promotes INTER SHARD TRADING...*gasps*

The whole point of an MMO is the MULTI PLAYER concept......if you have a duplicate....ask in gen chat if anyone has one they have and are willing to trade....it's a novel idea ;)
No it doesn't, it's shard bound.
Promotes INTRA shard trading only.

And to those who say delete a char and make a new one with stoned skills to keep going is ********. Who wants to lose scrolls and such on a good char for a RANDOM CHANCE that they might accidently get the one they need?

Color me really unimpressed with the whole thought processes of this crew, period.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If a lack of content is the problem, which I'll admit it has been, you can't ignore the fact that they just put in a whole new quest system and a way to make content without having to do a publish. They have also scheduled new events for every month this year. I think they are headed in the right direction at least. I like to think that this content creation system they just implemented will allow them to keep rolling out new content on a monthly basis like they have been since they finished it.

Dragkarah

Journeyman
UNLEASHED

Atlantic PVP is pretty stacked. I think all the non-asian pvpers condensed on Atlantic. We got Europeans, Russians, West coasters, east coasters... even a few ausies and kiwis

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

Right on. While the official forums are way too restricted in being able to express an opinion, Stratics UHall has been dominated by a small handful of hateful negative Nancy know-it-alls who feel inclined to opine on every thread with low level blather that contributes little if anything to advancing the conversation. I often feel ashamed knowing I have to scroll through atleast half a dozen posts before I can find one worth reading on almost any thread.

Elessar

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I really enjoy activities that bring people together, like the invasions, Blackthorn's basement, and Krampus. Some of the most fun I've had in this game is just doing those silly Krampus trade quests, where people are chatting, giving navigation tips to people who aren't real familiar with the geography (how do I get to Minoc from Yew?), and gating people in once we spawn the big K.

So, I guess I'm hoping for more content that's fun and engaging in a way that people consume together.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No it doesn't, it's shard bound.
Promotes INTRA shard trading only.

And to those who say delete a char and make a new one with stoned skills to keep going is ********. Who wants to lose scrolls and such on a good char for a RANDOM CHANCE that they might accidently get the one they need?

Color me really unimpressed with the whole thought processes of this crew, period.
Transfer a toon to another shard and you have a fresh spot for a new toon. As long as you have played, you couldn't think of that?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Transfer a toon to another shard and you have a fresh spot for a new toon. As long as you have played, you couldn't think of that?
I have no intention of scrolling up more chars lol

I realize there are ways around it...that's what this game has become, a game of work-arounds. Whether it's working around poor coding and bugs, or poor design, or whatever, it is a game of work-arounds. *shrugs* it is what it is, and one reason you very ever seldom see me anymore

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
380 people waiting to watch....T-Minus 21 minutes.....

Can't wait to see the team! No matter what, it's always nice to see the people behind the curtain :)

Morgana Grim

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
380 people waiting to watch....T-Minus 21 minutes.....

Can't wait to see the team! No matter what, it's always nice to see the people behind the curtain :)
I wonder if that counts the people viewing as "guest". I'm on my tv app and not on a logged in account. Hopefully the count is higher.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
We should have started an announcement pool with prizes lol

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It's up to 584 now...590....610.....it's going up!

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
LOL Kylie...patience! I love to hear how they all got started...I wasn't at the 20th and I would have loved to hear their stories! So this is nice, I hope they are recording this so I can re-watch it later.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Are these guys on something?? Several of the Devs seemed very scatter brained and out of it (Misk & Bleak). All they were asked is what was their favorite memory....

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are these guys on something?? Several of the Devs seemed very scatter brained and out of it (Misk & Bleak). All they were asked is what was their favorite memory....
I'm wondering if they are waiting for someone else to join them and that's why they seem a bit distracted or like they are stalling.