• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Trial UO Boycott

Are you joining the boycott?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
S

Shinobi

This is not a rant, it is an announcement.

After the announcement of the 70.4 patch robbery, the constant xfer issues, the house security issues, and everything else rotting under the UO sun, I hereby suggest a trial boycott.

The devs need to learn to stop working on crappy new content to take money out of our pockets, and to finally buckle down and focus once and for all on UO's current issues.

Let's show them what UO will be like without the people that really matter, the players. Starting this Monday (5/16) after server-up, I propose a complete boycott lasting until Saturday (5/21) at server-down (Saturday morning, not Sunday).

If enough join in, all shards will be ghost towns all week. Sure, some players will take advantage of the situation and farm items. Let them. Some kind of statement needs to be made. This behavior has gone on for years, it is time the devs quit moving forward and stop to clean up the problems they left in their wake. We pay the fees, therefore we hold the cards, not them.

I know no one will shut down their accounts (at the moment) due to their houses (if you haven't noticed yet, that's how they get ya), so maybe a trial of what the game will be like without customers will suffice, for now.

Vote above to let us know if you're in or out. Let's try to keep this thread on track to help spread the word. There should be no reason to argue. We all have our differences, but we are connected through UO's bugs/issues.

It is only 5 days without UO. Make a statement with your absence.

EDIT: I understand it may not be the devs' fault. Whomever is calling the shots, this is directed at them.

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some shards dont need a boycott, there dead anyways..
And not playing will not hurt them, they have your money.

If you want to send a message , thats easy dont buy or resub..
Other then that good luck..

And by the way its not the DEVS , its ediots higher up..give the guys a brake this time..

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not the devs fault so what good would this ridiculous boycott do? EA doesn't care about UO to begin with so why the &^%$ would they care if we didn't sign in?

And define "patch robbery" if you could., not sure what you mean there. Because if it's about those theme packs, you're not forced to buy them. I know I'm not going to, simply don't want that stuff. I sincerely doubt the entire team spent all their time working on it leaving everything else ignored as you're suggesting.

S

Shinobi

Not the devs fault so what good would this ridiculous boycott do? EA doesn't care about UO to begin with so why the &^%$ would they care if we didn't sign in?
Everyone is too scared to close their accounts for a month due to houses dropping, they obviously don't listen to the constant threads about bugs, and not buying the new stuff won't do crap because the majority will buy due to the brokers. This is the only medium.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everyone is too scared to close their accounts for a month due to houses dropping, they obviously don't listen to the constant threads about bugs, and not buying the new stuff won't do crap because the majority will buy due to the brokers. This is the only medium.
That doesn't answer the question as to why EA should care. The devs do what they can with what they've got.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kinda silly IMO.

I play daily and have no issues with whatever few bugs are in existence.
The only issue I have had to deal with in years is the fact that one of my characters was mistakenly deleted. Was my own fault, not a bug.

I sympathize with people that have experienced recent issues with things such as character xfer but I realize that it's part of playing the game. **** happens.
I have lost things over the years because of various lockdown issues and old house issues. So what. It's a game and they were simply pixels. And I used to make quite a large amount of $ selling houses/items/accounts on Ebay so I certainly know the vaue of these pixels.

I may have missed it in TOS but I dont recall being promised anything. I pay what is in my opinion a meager $13 a month to be able to log into someone else's very cool virtual world. I was never promised anything other then that.
I can stop paying at any time.

If I was so apparently miserable that I was attempting to form a mass pixel boycott I would hope that a friend or loved one would help me with my personal issues/addiction. No joke.

Peace

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know why you attribute fear to their decisions.
I think a more reasonable assumption to make is that they're not as bothered by the things that are bothering you as you are. If something's not bothering a person, then you can't really expect them to stop doing something (that they enjoy) that is not bothering them, because it's bothering people that aren't them.

S

Shinobi

That doesn't answer the question as to why EA should care. The devs do what they can with what they've got.
I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that they haven't found time to fix character statues. If the devs take notice, they pass it on to the higher ups.

It is only 5 days. It may help, it may not. But at least those that join in are trying something, regardless of how insignificant it may seem.

S

Shinobi

I think a more reasonable assumption to make is that they're not as bothered by the things that are bothering you as you are. If something's not bothering a person, then you can't really expect them to stop doing something (that they enjoy) that is not bothering them, because it's bothering people that aren't them.
Nothing is bothering me except their ignorance. I have no issues with bugs nor anything else. However, I see how it affects the other players that do care. Hell, I gave my 18x18 I had for 5 years to a random player with a 7x7 just to watch him freak out. It isn't about the pixels, it's about their crappy customer relations and the pointless flow of content they release rather than ensuring the previous works correctly.

C

Capn Kranky

And from what I have researched on DAoC boards it was this way for that game as well. Pattern?

C

canary

I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that they haven't found time to fix character statues. If the devs take notice, they pass it on to the higher ups.

It is only 5 days. It may help, it may not. But at least those that join in are trying something, regardless of how insignificant it may seem.
They don't care if you refuse to log in for 5 days. Now if everyone suspended their accounts for a month, THAT may get them going... but many here are far too scared or addicted to do that.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree with Canary ...... If everyone stopped their service for one month..... THAT would make them take notice..... however not playing for a few days won't do ANYTHING but make you miss UO.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I picked yes just because I probably won't be logging in within the next 5 days anyway, not because I care.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll stop playing.
Regardless of whats effective or not, since Stygian abyss and High Seas the amount of bugs being added to our legacy deficit is getting insane!
And if UO continues this bizarre hybrid of free to play purchase as you go and, expensive to play (don't worry you'll get better Game Masters!) players will eventually be so distraught when they have to buy 6 theme packs a few years down the road to get any decent action out of their crafting tools.
UO needs to make damn sure that whatever they put for sale on uogamecodes,
$12.99 dollars worth of content and bug fixes are put in as well. For free. Cause we already paid you. get it.
Make factions fun. Your reason not to is a cop out.

frostbolt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll stop playing.
Regardless of whats effective or not, since Stygian abyss and High Seas the amount of bugs being added to our legacy deficit is getting insane!
And if UO continues this bizarre hybrid of free to play purchase as you go and, expensive to play (don't worry you'll get better Game Masters!) players will eventually be so distraught when they have to buy 6 theme packs a few years down the road to get any decent action out of their crafting tools.
$12.99 dollars worth of content and bug fixes are put in as well. For free. Cause we already paid you. get it.
what bugs ive been playing SA since it was out and ive never seen a single one.

Tom_Builder

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've logged in for a total of 30 minutes or less in the last 2 months, so I will consider my lack of playing a boycott to help your cause.

On a side note I'm still paying every month so I dont think it will help much.

C

Capn Kranky

I'm in but then again it was pointed out that a 30-day financial vacuum might actually be noticed more. That's a valid observation.

I haven't logged in for more than 1 hour in that last week ... I can easily stay the heck out for a week more. By that time I will have decided if I'm killing the account or not. The other accounts are already closed for several months. <shrug>

Again I will state this from the DAoC VN boards. Long-time players of that game echo many of the same sentiments we do here - lack of good support, lack of content, lack of bug fixes or repairs in balancing - and more. It's a pattern people and remember DAoC was Mythic before UO was Mythic.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nothing is bothering me except their ignorance. I have no issues with bugs nor anything else. However, I see how it affects the other players that do care. Hell, I gave my 18x18 I had for 5 years to a random player with a 7x7 just to watch him freak out. It isn't about the pixels, it's about their crappy customer relations and the pointless flow of content they release rather than ensuring the previous works correctly.
1) Nothing is bothering you? YOU are attempting to start a massive boycott because OTHER people seem unhappy to you? Lmao.
Do you realize how painfully obvious it is that you are uhh possibly not telling the truth on this point?

2) BUT, if nothing really is bothering you then the Devs & UO in general must be doing pretty great correct? I agree with you there.
You are a vet & you have "no issues with bugs nor anything else" Hard to construe that statement as anything else but a great endorsement for the current state of the game.

Thank you for pointing out what most of us rational people have known all along.
Pretty awesome what you can get for only $13 a month.

How is the boycott going btw? Approx 75% so far say no to a boycott? Maybe those other affected players you are so gallantly trying to help just havent voted yet?

F

Fayled Dhreams

poor thang ... *tsk!*

IF your boycott were to be noticed ...

They would only notice:
Logins down this week(maybe) ...
Humph! must be getting closer to summer ...

houses don't fall in 30 days
"some" multi accounts ONLY pay 3 times a year
("active month" + 90 days of grace)

"some" active players are login'in
only out of habit
break the habit
some won't be back
ever.

Bear in mind:
After the "great housing fall"
Housing was never "full" again ...

In finer words
Your "boycott" has been going on for YEARS ...

(02-24-2011)I won't be far behind you, getting fed up with the updates being all about helping trammies. Oh new crappy graphics? Great now all those same items with different titles will look slightly less crappy.

I'm trying to get the others who are sick of their crap to leave with me as a protest. You can read my strike thread in UO Spiels N Rants.

Later Blind, keep in touch.
(04-21-2011)

So. With that being said. I'm sorry. I was wrong, I admit it. Im moving on, creating new chars, and developing this time for the GOOD of the game.
threads and dates ... context :danceb:

S

Sevin0oo0

Boycott didn't work w/ the price of gasoline, won't work here either. I'll go hang w/ those lonely scripters who are unaffected by all this fuss, least they have better attitudes, albeit they don't talk much.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ahahaha!

Boycott? UO has been on a boycott for the last 3 years. Its already a ghost town.

People not playing doesn't hurt EA one bit - it is people not PAYING that hurts.

This is truely a rant.

How Petra lets these threads live and then locks/kills threads with actual good discussion is beyond me....

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll stop playing.
what bugs ive been playing SA since it was out and ive never seen a single one.
would you like me to leave the new client in or out of this?

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And you think this will help how??? They already have your monthly sub ues what do they care if you log in, seriously.. it be like buying a brand new Car (pick you most hated make) paying for it, or Finance it, either way. Then let it sit because you don't like the model, style, Mfg Co, or whatever in your garage, in the driveway or where ever for the next 2, 3, 4, or 5 yrs without driving it for you don't like the way it Looks, drives, Etc...... What do they care what you do with it, they HAVE THEIR MONEY FOR IT.... What you do with it is your business, they could give a sweet $*!#, you already helped them by buying it!
Wanna make a statement that hurts them in the pocketbook, but be prepared to suffer the consequences... Don't pay your accounts for a few months because you don't like the bugs, etc. But the consequence will be: if it makes no money, it will be shut down. We all know that :sad4:
Better to live with a few bugs, then NO game At All. (But the transfer issue SHOULD be looked at & fixed as soon as possible since they DO Charger $$ for this Svc)

Symma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One solution, come play Siege :p

You'll get no bugs with character transfer here!!!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Iam guessing u r on holiday this week!!!! LOL

or know of a castle in early decay and want it allllllllllll !!!

whatever:danceb:

W

wee papa smurf

5 days is going to make alot of difference, lets all stop playing for 5 days, infact lets push the boat out a little lets go for 6 :dunce:

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
5 days is going to make alot of difference, lets all stop playing for 5 days, infact lets push the boat out a little lets go for 6 :dunce:
Yeah! lets lower their running costs while still paying full price ourselves :D

Unless accounts are actually canceled, no "boycott" will do anything except hurt us and give them a slightly higher profit margin for the month.

S

Shinobi

I have said in the past that I would gladly shut down my account to prove a point. However, I know I would be the only one doing it. Until enough agree to do that, we can attempt other methods. Note the word "trial". This is just to test the waters.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
They do listen they just dont listen to teenagers standing on a podium. Everyone acts like this house issue everyone was robbed when it really only affected a TINY amount of people. Boycott it yourself for those who wish to see all UO team keep giving us new content and storylines be sure you log in!

W

Woodsman

I boycotted for a couple of years and nothing changed except the names of the devs.

EA still treated UO like the ******* child it wants to keep hidden out of sight and people still got angry over the same things they've been getting angry at since 1997.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
A boycott sounds similar to a hunger stirke... not healthy, and sometimes resulting in death. Bugs or no bugs, issues or no issues, I'd like to see UO continue to survive.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since this game was birthed there have always been bugs that can't /won't be fixed. They only have so much time per cycle and if they attempted to fix ALL the bugs, they would be working for (insert # of years here) straight without any content update. No vet rewards, no in-game events, nothing...

And remember some bugs are so old that the code would need to be rewritten from the ground up... even with code testing do you know how many new bugs would be created after that?

The devs are doing their best to fix char transfer issues,lock downs etc they even addressed them. What bugs are in SA, I too don't understand what bugs people are experiencing in SA.

L

longshanks

boycott uo??

what the hell am i gonna do instead... talk to my wife??

jeeez...

G

Gladius

They don't care if you refuse to log in for 5 days. Now if everyone suspended their accounts for a month, THAT may get them going... but many here are far too scared or addicted to do that.
I was planning on going back but it really saddens me that up to this very day since I left when KR was junked things seem to have gone from bad to worse in the game.

The developers must be laughing their way to the bank with the subscriptions they get every month. And no amount of threats would make them budge I think.

The sad part is why? I hope someone can give a logical explanation as to why players tolerate the inconsistencies in the game which seem to be left on the shelves to be looked into someday by a REAL concerned person whoever that may be.

I guess I'll hold my return till I can see more favorable comments out of this game. Many of you who are still out there playing must be playing alone eh?
No more community interaction at all. Sad to see many are still disappointed.

-G-:wall: