• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Goodbye UO

• Thread starter StaticOnAtlantic
  • Start date
  • Watchers 5
S

StaticOnAtlantic

Well today I did it! closed my accounts.

Ill be giving out my rares and gold etc over the next few days (ATL PAC & GRTL)

Its been fun, but I was hoping for the classic shard, but I can understand that issue on why it will not work.

I wish the team and everyone (Players) even the flamers the best. From 99 to 2011 is an awesome run. Thanks for the great times and great people I met along the way.

Take care everyone,

Static
A Blind Man
Grant Barnes

C

canary

Take care and good luck.

I know it was probably hard to make the break from UO. I know I'm grappling with leaving altogether myself... I wish I was ready to make the step that you are.

I hope wherever you go, game wise, it is fun and exciting for you. :)

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Safe travels to you sir.

I myself closed off all accounts today except for my main one. And I'm only keeping that one because of a special project I'm part of. Because of no classic shard.

I wish you well, hope to see you in Garriotts next project!

-Derium

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Goodbye :)

Have fun whatever you choose to play next!

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
haven't you already quit a few times before?.. could have sworn i remember seeing this same thread somewhere at sometime.

but nevertheless have fun playing where everyone else who wanted a classic shard went!

S

StaticOnAtlantic

haven't you already quit a few times before?.. could have sworn i remember seeing this same thread somewhere at sometime.

but nevertheless have fun playing where everyone else who wanted a classic shard went!

lol god i wish :), nope only one thread. I did talk a little doomsday'ish a few years ago but never put the kabash to UO.

Im debating how rares and gold should be distributed, if anyone has any "good" ideas feel free to let me know.

C

canary

lol god i wish :), nope only one thread. I did talk a little doomsday'ish a few years ago but never put the kabash to UO.

Im debating how rares and gold should be distributed, if anyone has any "good" ideas feel free to let me know.
Feel free to give any on GL to me, lol.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

slam a house down in fel somewhere, put everything inside, and announce your "mini-event" in luna. wait for a good number of people to start gathering then drop the house :)

If nothing else an amusing final "farewell", and gives anyone interested a fighting chance.

I'm closing down all but my main account as well, partially due to the classic shard announcement, but due to many of the things talked about in the video.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

a million people will beg you for them. Take any of them that you personally loved, and log them out with your character. So even though you'll always be gone from UO, at least you'll know your character still holds to them what they held dear.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
a million people will beg you for them. Take any of them that you personally loved, and log them out with your character. So even though you'll always be gone from UO, at least you'll know your character still holds to them what they held dear.
:thumbup:

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
go up to random folks put a bag in the window with some "treasure" and click the check box, let them be shocked when opening the bag I would not do it just in luna, do may banks and places. If you happen to do it in new haven include a book with its approximate value so the new player that gets lucky is not robbed

S

StaticOnAtlantic

Good idea. Thanks Derium.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Wouldn't you have to give out your rares before closing your accounts?

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wouldn't you have to give out your rares before closing your accounts?
He closed them but they probably had a few days left. Because you close them dont mean you cant finish the time you had paid for. He likely removed his billing so they couldnt bill him the next due date.

Keep you rares with your chars. You may return but if you dont, then you know where those rares are forever in safe keeping.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gah I am an idiot lol...I almost forgot to say....

Good luck on your next adventures in what ever you may do :) Be safe and be well :)

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
i think you should just place a house before you shut your account down and lock everything down and let it go idoc in 90days.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

He closed them but they probably had a few days left. Because you close them dont mean you cant finish the time you had paid for. He likely removed his billing so they couldnt bill him the next due date.
Hm. I remember closing an account some years ago and it wouldn't let me back in, even though it still had half a month to play. Perhaps it's new or perhaps I'm mistaken. Either way thanks for info.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hm. I remember closing an account some years ago and it wouldn't let me back in, even though it still had half a month to play. Perhaps it's new or perhaps I'm mistaken. Either way thanks for info.
you get the choice when you close an account. either keep it open till the time runs out, or close it right away and lose all remaining time.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
See ya, Static. Sorry things didn't work out, but it was good knowing you. Hope you find a new entertainment medium soon!

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bank your stuffs Static. You never know where life may lead you, or what path UO may take.

Take care sir!

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bank it Static. Sad to see you go when im just comign back today!

But goodluck bro in whatever you do.

S

Shinobi

I won't be far behind you, getting fed up with the updates being all about helping trammies. Oh new crappy graphics? Great now all those same items with different titles will look slightly less crappy.

I'm trying to get the others who are sick of their crap to leave with me as a protest. You can read my strike thread in UO Spiels N Rants.

Later Blind, keep in touch.

Neutron Bomb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Goodluck and safe travels.

I wonder if the dev. team is paying attention to subscription numbers for the next few weeks after the news has spread.

With their decision, they immediately chose to end a chunk of their subscriptions.

If they would have chosen to do a classic shard, and put off some minor UO development for a few months, they could have saved and even gained membership. I mean really, putting the other crap that we didn't even know about off for a few months and let things go like they currently are, and actually worked on something that has been asked for, for years such as the Classic Shard, they could have made some more money.

Rather they decided to **** a good portion of people off.

Another one down due to decisions that make little sense.

Eros

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I recently moved to Atlantic from a less populated shard. So, I am in need of a house on Atlantic. Icq me @ 423323677 or leave me a pm on here if you are interested in giving a house away. ty

I have been playing uo since 02. And I have seen many changes in the game since then. Some good and some bad. I have to say if I see a game come out in the future similiar to UO. I may also leave uo for that game exspecially if it has customized housing. But for now, I think I will just ride the tide until then.

Farewell, I wish you well in any new games you may find in the future.

Thav12

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Clearly devs made the right decision. three people quit. Rares saving person is afraid to just close and leave, is going to stick his rares in the bank. Ergo, he'll be back. THe other two "closed their other accounts, but keeping their main". Ergo, they will open them back up. Hollow threats of going to a free shard. Go right ahead... you are still playing UO. Freeshard dies, you will be back.

Classic. May I have your stuffssssss?

Hopefully, the dev's efforts will result in a slightly more nimble UO for decades to come. I think this whole clasic debate has distracted from the future of UO enough.

R

RavenWinterHawk

Well today I did it! closed my accounts.

Ill be giving out my rares and gold etc over the next few days (ATL PAC & GRTL)

Its been fun, but I was hoping for the classic shard, but I can understand that issue on why it will not work.

I wish the team and everyone (Players) even the flamers the best. From 99 to 2011 is an awesome run. Thanks for the great times and great people I met along the way.

Take care everyone,

Static
A Blind Man
Grant Barnes

Have any cool stuff I can showboat at my Ter Mur Commerce center?

W

Woodsman

Clearly devs made the right decision. three people quit. Rares saving person is afraid to just close and leave, is going to stick his rares in the bank. Ergo, he'll be back. THe other two "closed their other accounts, but keeping their main". Ergo, they will open them back up. Hollow threats of going to a free shard. Go right ahead... you are still playing UO. Freeshard dies, you will be back.

Classic. May I have your stuffssssss?
Exactly.

When I reached that point that they claimed to have reached, I didn't reach out for sympathy or reasons to stick around in some goodbye thread.

I left.

I closed my accounts. I stopped logging into Stratics when I closed those accounts. The last time, I didn't bother banking the rares in my house because I had no plans on returning.

I didn't post a drawn-out goodbye or some kind of "go screw yourselves EA, you don't care about me, I'm closing all but one of my main accounts" kind of post.

I just left.

If you are reaching out to the forums or looking for something in a goodbye thread, then you're not ready to leave - you're hanging on.

If you were truly ready to leave, you would have already done it.

keel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd agree, if you have items special to you then keep them on your characters, just in case. I had lost my only real event rare when I stopped playing a few years ago, as I had locked it down in my house on display. I figured I'd never be back, but just a few weeks ago I've returned. I have to rebuild everything from the ground up, and I've been longing for that silly little Orcish Insignia Ring, which then was the only way you could have HP Regen on a ring. Item Bless Deeds also gone, and those are sorely missed.

Summarily, keep your stuff on you. You never know if you'll hear that siren's call a few years down the line and want to come back to the deepest MMO available. I did.

Neutron Bomb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is safe to assume that there is a group of people that held off until the verdict. Cal knows this, and that is what is clear, otherwise he would have just said no, instead of giving a "not right now answer". They know that the classic server is important to a lot of players, so they are not ruling out that possibility.

Do you not see this?

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly.

When I reached that point that they claimed to have reached, I didn't reach out for sympathy or reasons to stick around in some goodbye thread.

I left.

I closed my accounts. I stopped logging into Stratics when I closed those accounts. The last time, I didn't bother banking the rares in my house because I had no plans on returning.

I didn't post a drawn-out goodbye or some kind of "go screw yourselves EA, you don't care about me, I'm closing all but one of my main accounts" kind of post.

I just left.

If you are reaching out to the forums or looking for something in a goodbye thread, then you're not ready to leave - you're hanging on.

If you were truly ready to leave, you would have already done it.

we are not ready to leave, we feel a bit forced out. Just like when you quit smoking, you don't WANT to quit, but you know you NEED to, so you start the process and hope for the best.

Listen, us who have closed accounts/quit over this are not saying "wow, thank God, I'm sooo glad to be gone!". So don't try and even pretend that's how we feel. We LOVED this game, and it's a big part of us. I've been playing UO for 13 years, anyone who can spend so much time on anything will not be able to pack up and leave and not think twice.

Even if I shut my main account down I'll still be here posting on the forums. I still talk to my ex girlfriends, even though we are not dating anymore.

and no my other accounts will not be turned back on. As I said I have a very specific reason to keep my main account going. Hell, S'ron quit UO 8 years ago and he still has his main account going... And he hasn't logged in a single time!

anyways, you're right about us not being ready to truly leave. We were hoping the news would have been GOOD for us and we would get excited to open more accounts. alas, it was that that way.

Give us whatever trolling grief tactics you wish, feel free to toss in the stupid "OMGZ, it's only a game!" while you're are it... we've heard that enough too.

bottom line, closing an account and getting closure over something some of us have been part of for half of our lives does not go hand in hand.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

why dont u just bank it and keep it all on the chars bankboxes...that way when u come back in 2-3 years time u will still have a good restart???? oh and u will be back....oh yes...

W

Woodsman

we are not ready to leave, we feel a bit forced out.
I would argue that you are feeling more disappointed than anything.

If you feel truly forced out, then you should leave. If it's over the classic shard announcement, you should probably should have left 8-10 years ago when UO:R, Pub 16, or AOS occurred, but that's for another thread.

I think it would have been better if people got a near-instant answer of "no" a year ago, but the problem is that Cal and the devs decided to do some research. Because they don't have the resources people think they do, and because of the EA bureaucracy, it was not something they could just go and research in a few weeks and come back and say no.

These posts and threads have almost always existed. They even existed on the UO.com forums.

People want to lash out at EA, they want to say "I'm quitting EA, what are you going to do about it?" The tone in the OP of this thread was a lot more even-handed than most posts of this nature, but there are several "screw you EA" types of posts scattered throughout the current (and locked) threads. They want other people to talk them out of it.
So don't try and even pretend that's how we feel. We LOVED this game, and it's a big part of us.
My point is that people who post these types of threads or posts STILL love the game, otherwise they wouldn't be lashing out at EA or looking for sympathy or reasons to stick around.

Take the classic sharders who are angry and lashing out at EA in some of the threads that were locked. They are acting like all of the sudden the game is dead to them or that all of the sudden EA forced them out.

The game should have been dead to them 8 years ago with AOS or Pub 16, or 10 years ago with UO:R.

If they are still here, 8 years later after AOS, then they STILL love UO. They may not like a lot of things, but they STILL love UO. You do not stick around playing a game or paying EA after all this time unless you STILL love UO.

I say this as somebody who has gotten angry and left in the past. I even posted a goodbye thread. The last time, I walked completely away, and thought I was done. I truly thought I was done - didn't bank anything, didn't bother saying anything on Stratics or elsewhere. I told my guildmates to remove me, and I had a message on ICQ saying I was done and don't ask me about UO stuff.

I've been playing UO for 13 years, anyone who can spend so much time on anything will not be able to pack up and leave and not think twice.
You are correct - it usually takes a couple of times. Heck, the last time I did it, I thought I was leaving for good to the point of letting my houses, rares, and a lot of gold go IDOC, and I was roped right back in.
Give us whatever trolling grief tactics you wish, feel free to toss in the stupid "OMGZ, it's only a game!" while you're are it... we've heard that enough too.
My point is that if people are making the effort to publicly lash out at EA and telling EA they are quitting for this or that reason, or to post goodbye threads or to look for sympathy or reasons to stick around, then they STILL love UO.

It's not simply a game to them - if it was, they would have left.

When you are truly ready to leave, you will walk away. No drawn-out goodbyes, no keeping an eye on the calendar and thinking "I can re-activate my account and keep my house and rares from IDOCing."

A great analogy is the one you mentioned - smoking. I've known plenty of people within UO who talk about quitting, they lash out at EA, or look for sympathy or whatever, and chances are high that they will be back or will keep an account or two still paid up.

Anybody who cares enough about UO to still be posting, even if it's an angry rant directed at EA over the classic shard thing STILL loves UO, warts and all.

Otherwise they would have just walked away, let everything IDOC, and that's it.

Ken of Napa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you get the choice when you close an account. either keep it open till the time runs out, or close it right away and lose all remaining time.
Actually, I believe that if you actually "Close your account" you won't be able to log in anymore. If you just delete the billing info, then the account remains open untill the next billing cycle is due.

I made that mistake a few years ago when I wanted to sell an old account. I closed the account then was unable to log back into it to finish moving some things from the bank box. I wound up leaving 5 mil in the bank of the Seige Character on that account :(

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I art holier than thou !!!

hehe to me the only thing that keeps me around is the great people that populate the shards, and my imagination...

ironically it has nothing to do with the game at all... killing mobs ? lol
The AI isn't even better than it was in my opinion...

Fresley

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great Cal has spoken
Classic shard hope unfulfilled
I can has your stuff?

F

Fayled Dhreams

I would argue that you are feeling more disappointed than anything.

If you feel truly forced out, then you should leave. If it's over the classic shard announcement, you should probably should have left 8-10 years ago when UO:R, Pub 16, or AOS occurred, but that's for another thread.

I think it would have been better if people got a near-instant answer of "no" a year ago, but the problem is that Cal and the devs decided to do some research. Because they don't have the resources people think they do, and because of the EA bureaucracy, it was not something they could just go and research in a few weeks and come back and say no.

These posts and threads have almost always existed. They even existed on the UO.com forums.

People want to lash out at EA, they want to say "I'm quitting EA, what are you going to do about it?" The tone in the OP of this thread was a lot more even-handed than most posts of this nature, but there are several "screw you EA" types of posts scattered throughout the current (and locked) threads. They want other people to talk them out of it.
My point is that people who post these types of threads or posts STILL love the game, otherwise they wouldn't be lashing out at EA or looking for sympathy or reasons to stick around.

Take the classic sharders who are angry and lashing out at EA in some of the threads that were locked. They are acting like all of the sudden the game is dead to them or that all of the sudden EA forced them out.

The game should have been dead to them 8 years ago with AOS or Pub 16, or 10 years ago with UO:R.

If they are still here, 8 years later after AOS, then they STILL love UO. They may not like a lot of things, but they STILL love UO. You do not stick around playing a game or paying EA after all this time unless you STILL love UO.

I say this as somebody who has gotten angry and left in the past. I even posted a goodbye thread. The last time, I walked completely away, and thought I was done. I truly thought I was done - didn't bank anything, didn't bother saying anything on Stratics or elsewhere. I told my guildmates to remove me, and I had a message on ICQ saying I was done and don't ask me about UO stuff.

You are correct - it usually takes a couple of times. Heck, the last time I did it, I thought I was leaving for good to the point of letting my houses, rares, and a lot of gold go IDOC, and I was roped right back in.
My point is that if people are making the effort to publicly lash out at EA and telling EA they are quitting for this or that reason, or to post goodbye threads or to look for sympathy or reasons to stick around, then they STILL love UO.

It's not simply a game to them - if it was, they would have left.

When you are truly ready to leave, you will walk away. No drawn-out goodbyes, no keeping an eye on the calendar and thinking "I can re-activate my account and keep my house and rares from IDOCing."

A great analogy is the one you mentioned - smoking. I've known plenty of people within UO who talk about quitting, they lash out at EA, or look for sympathy or whatever, and chances are high that they will be back or will keep an account or two still paid up.

Anybody who cares enough about UO to still be posting, even if it's an angry rant directed at EA over the classic shard thing STILL loves UO, warts and all.

Otherwise they would have just walked away, let everything IDOC, and that's it.
uhhhh ... no ...

angry jilted psycho "lover" (ala Fatal Attractions) ALSO explains those who keep sharing ...
endlessly sharing their devotion ...
and editorial "opinions" (ala Misery)
or "how better" EA could spend its money/resources (ala ex wives and alimony )
Armchair quarterbacks ... without TV's or Tickets (or team or season or game) ...
or friends to sympathize with ... :eyes: look around look around.

As noted ... 8-10years ... what were you driving back then ... kids? dates? friends? jobs? housing?
Allllll >the same< ?

Hey ... you make a good set of points ... but they are ALL on the premise of: should have ... a "normal" response should have been.
Those "should haves" DID ... quietly and politely ... logged off and went on.

Then there's the "south shall rise agin" :gee: types >currently< here ... 8-10years later ... heh!
Uhell is now some quasipsuedo "steering committee"
which it never ever was ... nor is it actually NOW ...
:eyes: look around look around.

Woodsman ... you speak with a level tone of logic ...
Quick Quiz:

Where is Wilki?
I would hear HIM comment ... before I weight any others "opinion".

He was after all, one of us ... a player involved in the forums that made it alllll the way to a devs chair ...
just saying ... knows the topic and the audience and the lingo ...

could even be objective ... :party:

U

UOKaiser

Man you gone? I guess it was inevitable.And then there were 9. Safe journeys. Good job in your time in UO.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Fare thee well, and good luck in any new adventures. I hope you and others who are leaving may one day return. I have left and returned a number of times between T2A and now. Something about UO always called me back, and this time I expect to stay as long as UO remains... :grouphug:

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Fayled, I was too discouraged to answer to that one...

but you're still an old freak with too much testosterong that associates divergeance of opinions in UO with the american civil war...

Yeah Static, honestly I didn't know you were so bent on the classic shard. I guess I missed a few parts since the main spokesperson hates me more than the guardian himself. :violin: