• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So I think I owe the community an apology

• Thread starter StaticOnAtlantic
  • Start date
  • Watchers 7
S

StaticOnAtlantic

So over the last few years I became bitter at the community as a whole for some not supporting the idea, or creation of a classic shard idea, even targeting players who supported not having a classic shard. I became the issue myself. I became bitter at players who enjoyed the "new way" this game is now played and developed and failed to understand how "this" could be fun.

Well the conclusion came to me packing up my gear, Giving almost everything away, closing accounts etc, and saying "never again". then I begun searching for the messiah shard. one that would bring all the feelings of uo back. The great ideas, and things THIS game was found on. I was wrong. Memories are one thing, and having it applied is another. While im sure my observation is different than other bitter players, I have learned a few things.

The classic idea, is dead. And I can understand that. After playing in the world for nearly 4 weeks I found myself at a complete dismay on why I would want classic back.

So. With that being said. I'm sorry. I was wrong, I admit it. Im moving on, creating new chars, and developing this time for the GOOD of the game.

Uo in its current state,with its bumps and bruises is still one great game. The game is multifaceted and almost anything you can think of can be done. This brings me to a new found respect for UO players as a whole, and the game we call Ultima Online.

Cya Around *waves*

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Welcome home friend. I have a lot of respect for this post.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Win thread is win.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Welcome home. Glad you are still enjoying this world. UO is and ever will be what we make it... nothing more... nothing less. Fun is out there... new experiences are everywhere, we have only to open our eyes... let down our guard... broaden our outlook, expectations and horizons... and you will find it... Try new things... explore new area's... join a new guild. Help someone new or an old returnee... If you find things are too easy try making them harder. Try fighting in GM armor... Try taking off the 100% LRC.. Fight naked. Try a new shard. Build a new character. Try taming. Make a beggar. Give Herding a try. There is always something new to try...

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your post brought a smile to my face. =) Welcome back!

Do you need anything? I don't have much on Atlantic, but I'll share what I have with you.

BlissMarie

T

TheMac

Classy, very classy. I wish you would have tried searching for the "mesiah" shard before you gave everything away. I did and realized that you can't beat osi.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Ya know... You could always come see us. The other UO.

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I find it odd you admittedly protested so vehemently for a classic shard, yet this post represents the fact that, in reality, you had no idea what you were truly asking for. I'd like to point out that this probably isn't the case for many others who were in favor of the idea; many of whom were and are playing classic UO anyway.

I advise you to evaluate anything you throw your weight behind in future more stringently before just randomly picking a side and running with it, as it seems you did.

Have fun.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Much respect to you for this.
(not meaning it at all related to the subject of classic shards, but in the principal of admitting error, this is a very rare thing)
It is in here, lol. Welcome home Static.

S

StaticOnAtlantic

I find it odd you admittedly protested so vehemently for a classic shard, yet this post represents the fact that, in reality, you had no idea what you were truly asking for. I'd like to point out that this probably isn't the case for many others who were in favor of the idea; many of whom were and are playing classic UO anyway.

I advise you to evaluate anything you throw your weight behind in future more stringently before just randomly picking a side and running with it, as it seems you did.

Have fun.
You are right. I did lobby for the classic time frame. I did have an idea of what I was asking for. I should correct myself, I had a memory of what I was asking for.

I will compare it to 56K dial up. We all loved the sound, but never wanted to go back after getting DSL or cable. In a sense, I loved the sound, but once I redialed in. I came to the conclusion that hanging up was a much better idea.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There were factors that made UO amazing back in the day that would be next to impossible to have today. While I think some of us would love to get that feeling back, if only for a day, it is events like the OP's that bring us back to reality sad as that might be. Let me be on of the pack that says welcome back, I hope you can create something again.

If we could be half as full with players, without the in game knowledge we all have, reduce 95% of the wealth, excited with dieing and winning a fight and 500 other things.....It's stll a great game for the cost I pay monthly.

R

RavenWinterHawk

So over the last few years I became bitter at the community as a whole for some not supporting the idea, or creation of a classic shard idea, even targeting players who supported not having a classic shard. I became the issue myself. I became bitter at players who enjoyed the "new way" this game is now played and developed and failed to understand how "this" could be fun.

Well the conclusion came to me packing up my gear, Giving almost everything away, closing accounts etc, and saying "never again". then I begun searching for the messiah shard. one that would bring all the feelings of uo back. The great ideas, and things THIS game was found on. I was wrong. Memories are one thing, and having it applied is another. While im sure my observation is different than other bitter players, I have learned a few things.

The classic idea, is dead. And I can understand that. After playing in the world for nearly 4 weeks I found myself at a complete dismay on why I would want classic back.

So. With that being said. I'm sorry. I was wrong, I admit it. Im moving on, creating new chars, and developing this time for the GOOD of the game.

Uo in its current state,with its bumps and bruises is still one great game. The game is multifaceted and almost anything you can think of can be done. This brings me to a new found respect for UO players as a whole, and the game we call Ultima Online.

Cya Around *waves*
Welcome.

The classic shard is a fond memory we both share. Desire to have the classic shard is a desire to have the memories of long past.

A new classic shard would be no different then the game today. We lost the greatness it once was but there is still a great game to be played. The greatness was the spirit of the game.

What exists now, is good, but it is not what the game will become. That can change. Finding the principles that built great memories during "classic shard" time is what the DEVs must work hard to identify.

I can tell you this... the principles are not quests and gear.

And yes exploration, random encounters, reason to walk and wander with players are well... ideas that might work. The thrill of shared battle and discovery is needed.

If youre on atlantic, come grab a vendor spot from me. The Ter Mur Commerce Center is a nice place for people to gather.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
great post Static! it's true that a lot of us have such fond memories of past experiences in our lives that we think if we could get back there it would be the same. but it never can be because all the experiences and feelings and emotions and events and sorrows and growing that occurred between then and now have re-shaped us. i have such fond memories of the 80's - the music, the hair, the paint splattered clothes (ha!) - but if i was thrown back there now, i'd go insane. welcome back!

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also pushed hard for a classic shard. Not because it was "perfect" back in the day, but because I miss the original design of the game so much.

I think what I really wanted was a time machine... a way to go back and ensure that UO evolved on that original design philosophy without changing it so much...

What Reality gave us was many different development teams with differing visions on how the game should grow. So we ended up with a lot of unfulfilled visions instead of a singular, consistent one.

UO is still a very unique game, but I will always wish that I could go back in time and force Koster and Garrott to write the "UO Constitution" that all forthcoming developers would have to work by. (Not that EA would be respectful of that, but I'm allowed to dream aren't I?)

N

nynyve

Well memories are great liars. Things usually were not as great as we remember them--if they were, we would all be working on inventing a time machine.

Welcome to the future of UO.

Korik Bloodguard

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eh, we all know how to play classic if we want to. There's no reason to waste EA's cash on one when there's an alternative.

U

UOKaiser

Welcome back static. It's fun thinking back on those times and when we used to talk about them with each other back in Atlantic. But its a past glory. What made them fun was the people that were there and the dedication Old school players like us. But I enjoyed the advances in gameplay itself and going back is like taking out my nintendo again. good for a visit but not good enough to live.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Static... "I honor thee."

Takes a lot to come forward and make a post like that. Nostalgia is a powerful emotion, seeing through it takes honest insight into yourself.

*bows respectfully*

For everyone else... "Come into the light Carol Ann."

Lord Raven

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This would make a nice "sticky" topic... I think lots of us are rather passionate about aspects of the game and it maybe it would good to have somewhere to come and just post a quick apology...

Kinda like confession... "Forgive me Stratics/Friends for I have sinned..."

I'll take this opportunity to ask forgiveness for my past sins and any hurt I may have caused others.

T

Tribute House

Good for you!

Im moving on, creating new chars, and developing this time for the GOOD of the game.

The most imoprtant part of this statement....you got your mojo back... Yeah baby, yeah!

D

Dannyboy

Good post, it's refreshing to see something like this.

I remember seeing someone say something like this about up gamers a while back

"Don't get mad at the UO players, even when they rant and moan. They are kind of like old war Veterans who once had something great, but had it took away from them and were left and forgotten "

I wish I could find the original post because I do it no justice, but I don't think anyone can blame you for being passionate about this game. It's great you have apologized though, takes guts to do that imo.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good post, it's refreshing to see something like this.

I remember seeing someone say something like this about up gamers a while back

"Don't get mad at the UO players, even when they rant and moan. They are kind of like old war Veterans who once had something great, but had it took away from them and were left and forgotten "

I wish I could find the original post because I do it no justice, but I don't think anyone can blame you for being passionate about this game. It's great you have apologized though, takes guts to do that imo.
Hmmm...sounds kinda like Gramps....

"You know what the problem in the world is today? You young whipper-snappers have it too easy. back when I was a kid, we had to walk 15 miles to school through 15' snowdrifts.....

uphill.....

both ways." :)

I am sure that Cal has experienced some of this one (or something similar at the USAFA): "Back in the Old Corp. ....." :)