• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

training a pet in necromancy

Shannow

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
Hi,

Trained my pet to 100%
would like to add necromancy and spirit speak (choose necromancy at a cost of 0 or 1 point).
But i get a message telling me my taming skill is too low.
Anyone know what skill level I need please?
Or what i'm doing wrong etc.
pet is a hell hound

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The highest taming requirement on any trained pet is 108. We are not sure how high the hell hound will go after one upgrade, we have seen various numbers on various pets but didn't really keep track.

Shannow

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
The highest taming requirement on any trained pet is 108. We are not sure how high the hell hound will go after one upgrade, we have seen various numbers on various pets but didn't really keep track.
I have 105 displayed, but only 90.5 real skill
is it real skill that matters?
also, the hell hound i trained is only 1 slot. I've seen elsewhere it portraid as a 2-4 slot pet, not a 1-4.
also, all imps i've tamed are 3 slot - 4. Not 2-4.
Are there any other tameables that might now take up lower initial slots, making them more interesting for taming training, do you know?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you add anything it will go to 2 slots and apparently you need more taming. This is not an issue if your taming and lore are real 120.

Be a tamer not a lamer.

Shannow

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
If you add anything it will go to 2 slots and apparently you need more taming. This is not an issue if your taming and lore are real 120.

Be a tamer not a lamer.
obviously it will go from 1 slot to 2, but the point im making is uo guide lists it as starting at 2
anyway irrelevant
im training taming obviously - just thought someone might know what skill i need to get to and also know what else is wrong on uo guide.
doesnt matter i'll just work it out

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Pawain, why so rude? Not everyone has those 120s lying about?! Judging from what (s)he wrote:
I have 105 displayed, but only 90.5 real skill
This makes us think Shannow only has a 105 Powerscroll used on this char, with (at least) 15 Taming skill on ring and/or brace combined? (Or even the Talisman.)
We ourselves also worked up the taming skill to 120 on several tamers, as we felt we got more refusals from pets on our 110 AT Stealth-Tamer. But while we are not 100% sure, it SHOULD not be real skill that matters for that. We transfered pets to starting tamers who jumped to 85 with ring, brace and tali, and could accept Stygian Drakes. So we feel training an animal might work similarly.
Shannow, you getting that warning makes us think the taming requirement jumps to 108 on the first upgrade, though we haven't gotten round to train a Hell Hound yet. (The 5 we have on one tamer are for their Pack instinct.) We'd say try to get your taming at least to 110, so you can control all trained pets. (If you play on Europa, we have one for you.) Hellhounds should be 1-4 indeed, not sure why UO Guide says 2-4. Maybe they confused them with the large Hell Cats? (That seem to miss entirely in their list of tameables?)
Unfortunately Imps have been changed for the worse, making them nearly irrelevant, starting at 3 slots... They used to be 2 slots before one could train them.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If you have 90.5 real taming skill, then you are in striking range with skill on your ring and bracelet. You need 230 skill points between animal taming and animal lore to have 99% control chance for all tamable 5-slot creatures. You will need power scrolls to be able to utilize the skills on the jewelry but you are close. Another thing to consider is a level 1 primer in Animal Taming. With that you can more easily skill animal taming.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A 120 taming scroll is cheap compared to pet scrolls and a taming 3 primer. Most shards have players that will give them to other tamers.

A complete taming build is easy to do and have two other skills at 120.

I will not encourage players to have less than 120 taming and lore.
They should learn how to use their tamer and associated skills, benefits, and abilities.
If it appears mean, I would rather be mean than be party to someone losing a pet because they do not have 120 skills.

Pawain, why so rude? Not everyone has those 120s lying about?! Judging from what (s)he wrote:

This makes us think Shannow only has a 105 Powerscroll used on this char, with (at least) 15 Taming skill on ring and/or brace combined? (Or even the Talisman.)
We ourselves also worked up the taming skill to 120 on several tamers, as we felt we got more refusals from pets on our 110 AT Stealth-Tamer. But while we are not 100% sure, it SHOULD not be real skill that matters for that. We transfered pets to starting tamers who jumped to 85 with ring, brace and tali, and could accept Stygian Drakes. So we feel training an animal might work similarly.
Shannow, you getting that warning makes us think the taming requirement jumps to 108 on the first upgrade, though we haven't gotten round to train a Hell Hound yet. (The 5 we have on one tamer are for their Pack instinct.) We'd say try to get your taming at least to 110, so you can control all trained pets. (If you play on Europa, we have one for you.) Hellhounds should be 1-4 indeed, not sure why UO Guide says 2-4. Maybe they confused them with the large Hell Cats? (That seem to miss entirely in their list of tameables?)
Unfortunately Imps have been changed for the worse, making them nearly irrelevant, starting at 3 slots... They used to be 2 slots before one could train them.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Well a skilled tamer can play with 110 taming and lore going to 120 is the easy way out.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mastery mana usage is based on real skill.

If you prefer not using all of your benefits for 10 skill points then make sure you understand all the costs involved. You can put those 10 points on jewels in a skill that does not benefit from real skill like meditation or eval.

Shannow

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
Hi, thanks for the information Tabby and Obsidian - I will aim for at least 110 (pscrolls permitting)
I got to 90.9 yesterday, but didnt check if I could now train the hell hound.
Anyway, Not interested in powering through to 120, if I had the masteries and power scroll. Prefer to keep learning how different pets work with different builds. This way I can make mistakes and learn without it costing anything.
one last question - whats with the random karma loss for sending hounds back to hell?
Then I'll leave in peace (well for a little while), don't want to upset too many folks by actually asking something.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
one last question - whats with the random karma loss for sending hounds back to hell?
The makers of UO liked dogs and cats I guess. I can't think of any Canines that do not give karma loss.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Eh? We can't remember ever having had karma hits on them, so we just tested this on the Fire Dungeon hellhounds, indeed no karma hit whatsoever? Is it different on tamed and then released hellhounds?
Shannow, please ignore the snappy posts, and ask away! As we were taught in secondary school: "the most stupid questions are those that are not asked". (And there are plenty of hybrid templates that don't or hardly allow for 120 taming. One of our disco tamers being one.)
Good luck on the gains and enjoy the learning curve!

Shannow

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
just to explain - in the dungeon hythloth is a load of hell hounds and imps.
So for ease of training, I am taming up mostly hell hounds and the odd imp.
Depending on my fancy, I am sending them to the slaughter without healing them to free up slots so I can continue taming.
For some reason, every now and then, when 1 dies, I get a message saying 'I lose a lot of karma'.
But it's totally random as to when this occurs.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Hmmmm, that's a puzzling thing... Probably a silly question, but, do you use any necro spells yourself Shannow?

Shannow

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
Only magery spells and herding skill.
Wonder if it's anything to do with herding them. I use it to make them get aggroed, without me having to walk them.

Shannow

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
Update:

Got a 110 powerscroll in lore and taming.
Took real skills to 108.9 in lore and 94.1 in taming.
Trained my hell hound up without issue.
And finally took down fessik the ogre cook (been trying on and off for 2 years), so very happy.
I can now cook a three tiered wedding cake and fill some lbods.
I'll work on my taming again after a week break. I'm pet tamed out.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tamers can do things that we could not do before the Pet Revamp.

Now make a Cu and go places you have never been able to go before.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It has nothing to do with herding at all. In fact it's simple ... if you let your tamed pet die, you lose karma ... simple! Because you failed with your most important task as a tamer - keep your tamed pet alive!

No matter what pet it is or where you let this happen - if a tamed pet dies, you lose karma and rightly so! This is an 'ancient feature' in UO.
For an "Ancient Feature" it sure is odd I've seen it MAYBE once in every 50 to 100 pet deaths. it's so rare it seemed like a bug to me when it did happen, though it usually only happened against a few types of creatures - so long, in fact, I forget which ones. I've not had a pet dying give me a karma hit since before September. And, it happens more with SUMMONS dying for my caster, than for a pet dying for my tamer.

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was simply wrong - I'm sorry ! Thank you Basara. Should have tested it before instead of using my poor memory and probably wishful thinking. Quoted post deleted.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Gnoopey - It DOES happen sometimes. And, it's more likely to happen during boss and event fights than common hunting.

Why it does, though, is a bit of a mystery. I've only been playing since the AoS launch. It's quite possible that karma loss was a thing back in the pre-slot/pre-bonding times, which would actually make sense as there was more risk (and more abuse) of pets. Any of you launch/T2A/3D/LBR players remember?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Any chance someone can fix the links in the sticky thread posts please
The person who placed them would have to redo the link.

You can search the title of the link you want and find it fast.