• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Town Banner Discussion

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In regards to those smaller guilds and communities that wouldn't qualify to be known as a 'town', I too feel some regret. Knowing that the efforts of the Girl Scouts would be rewarded with a 'cookie hut' would not only be awesome, but show that Baja is a unique shard that appreciates the efforts of its citizens, no matter what their size is.

I suppose the difficulty is that there's just no way to quantify any of that into an open and working formula.

The other thing on my mind is that the Girl Scouts choose to participate in the community without any thought of reward; it's what they choose to do on their own and how they thought their time would be best used. Though they wouldn't qualify to be a known for their own 'town' at this time, perhaps we as Baja citizens can find another way to make them feel appreciated.

That does remind me of another question though: When a community is given a town banner, can that town banner be taken away in the future if they fall behind on their participation/activity/size? And more importantly, if a new community is built later on, can they still apply to have a town banner? i.e., Will this be an ongoing program?

I ask because while the physical residences of a Girl Scout community might be small now, perhaps they could apply in the future when they've got something of a small area mapped out for themselves?

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
* Do the citizens of the municipality actively promote themselves?
I think we need to place a little more emphasis on this and the presence factor.

Using Tina Small's example; one person really could own 9 houses in an area, decorate them to be matching, and perhaps even go to the further trouble of posing as several different people to establish a "community" feeling.

I actually don't feel like this would be much of a problem so long as that person really did go to the effort of establishing a community feeling.

But I would strongly disagree where someone has 9 houses in some far off corner and their only visitor is a lone miner every so often.

I feel like a community should have some sort of significance, some reason for others to come and visit (or to avoid!), or to come and mark a rune.

I think a community that actively promotes itself and establishes a significant presence on the shard is more important than how many houses it has.

* Can the municipality provide at least one other established town as a reference?
I'm not sure what this means. I do understand as of right now, there aren't any established towns in the Town Banner program, but wouldn't this mean that applicant communities would need to have approval from pre-existing towns? I suppose this would help to weed out any people who are building a community out of selfish intent.

* Are there community centric buildings such as a tavern?
I worry about the wording of this but I do agree with the idea. I worry that some communities might just label a house "Tavern" and be done with it. In the Cartel's case, we have a Guildhouse where people meet up before heading off to fights, and the guild resources are kept. In a sense, that would be considered our "Tavern", I suppose.

How far would this rule be applied? Would the house deemed to be a 'tavern' or 'community center' also need to be decorated as such? I feel like that would be misleading.

* Has the municipality held community events in the past 6 months? or do they have events planned in the near future?
Planning a community event "in the near future" seems pretty easy. Can this be as simple as community members agreeing to do a Navrey spawn on Friday night at 6PM PST? Or are we requiring public events hosted/organized by that community? Because that isn't always easy for newer folks who might be shy.

I'd like to echo Brytt's comments towards EM Seppo. Thank you for the time you've spent with us to help establish something more fitting for Baja. I'm sure we're not the easiest people to work with sometimes. =]

EMSeppo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps I missed it in earlier messages (my brain became overloaded after reading all of this), but... is this new town banner system going to replace the OLD way of doing things where guilds/towns/communities previously signed up to be included in various EM based RP events via the golden brew website?
No, there will still be opportunities to participate through events. However, that does not mean that you can get the additional benefits of the town banner system because you are active in participating in events. It will certainly help your cause but it will not be the only ingredient. Except for the kingdoms which were publicly granted their independence by Queen Dawn.

EMSeppo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am going to change the wording of the proposed rules based on various feedback we have received. The terms mandatory and rules have been dropped to make it flexible and inviting. The following guidelines will be used to judge if your town is worthy of recognition.

If an application is not found to meet the guidelines, then the applicants will be notified as to how they can work towards it. The idea is not to prevent anyone from having a town, if they so wish, but to promote gameplay that enriches the community.

There is no method for getting rid of your banner once you obtain it right now. But, getting a banner is only the first step and much will depend on how you make use of that recognition. One should remember that a town has to be something exceptional. It was not so long ago that many of you spoke with nostalgia about the old towns as relics of the past. This is an opportunity to not only recreate but surpass history.

Live in the present and chart your own future!

Proposed guidelines for town recognition:

* Does the municipality have a significant physical presence in the vicinity? As a rule of thumb, six houses will be considered as a significant presence. The houses should also make an effort to seem like part of the municipality - perhaps by using a common theme in the house customization.

* Has it participated in shard events with town participation? Or, made its presence felt through any other manner? Examples include not only registering your community during various community geared events we have on Baja, but also participating in things like the recent trial. If you were a witness during the trial and introduced yourself as someone hailing from the town of timbaktu, then you have made your presence known to the rest of the world.

* Is the municipality older than 30 days? Evidence should be provided regarding this.

* Do the citizens of the municipality actively promote themselves? For example, registering a booth during the faire grounds festival to promote themselves would count as such an activity.

* Has the municipality held community events in the past 6 months? or do they have events planned in the near future? Please note that the event should be geographically tied to the municipality itself. For example, an event to do champion spawns by itself would not count. However, if the event started by meeting at the town of timbaktu and then going to defeat the champions after a few drinks, then it would be tied to the town of timbaktu.

* Is the town part of an ingame town? For example, if your town is located within the walls of Luna, then you will have a very difficult time justifying your recognition.

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is an opportunity to not only recreate but surpass history.

Live in the present and chart your own future!
Hear hear! I very much want to see where "the next epic player town" evolves.

H

Harlan

[/QUOTE]
Proposed guidelines for town recognition:

* Does the municipality have a significant physical presence in the vicinity? As a rule of thumb, six houses will be considered as a significant presence. The houses should also make an effort to seem like part of the municipality - perhaps by using a common theme in the house customization.

* Has it participated in shard events with town participation? Or, made its presence felt through any other manner? Examples include not only registering your community during various community geared events we have on Baja, but also participating in things like the recent trial. If you were a witness during the trial and introduced yourself as someone hailing from the town of timbaktu, then you have made your presence known to the rest of the world.

* Is the municipality older than 30 days? Evidence should be provided regarding this.

* Do the citizens of the municipality actively promote themselves? For example, registering a booth during the faire grounds festival to promote themselves would count as such an activity.

* Has the municipality held community events in the past 6 months? or do they have events planned in the near future? Please note that the event should be geographically tied to the municipality itself. For example, an event to do champion spawns by itself would not count. However, if the event started by meeting at the town of timbaktu and then going to defeat the champions after a few drinks, then it would be tied to the town of timbaktu.

* Is the town part of an ingame town? For example, if your town is located within the walls of Luna, then you will have a very difficult time justifying your recognition.[/QUOTE]

This sounds great I say Write it in stone and lets get this party started. It would appear that me and Brytt are the only ones that really care. JUST JOKING TO ALL THAT HAS WRITTING HERE. :) I say that most are happy with the these hereand now they sound like one could sway a banner thier way even if they only have 5 buildings.

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, it just means that you and I probably have a distant ancestor somewhere along father or mother's line, maybe a few generations back, who looked a bit like this:

H

Harlan

Actually, it just means that you and I probably have a distant ancestor somewhere along father or mother's line, maybe a few generations back, who looked a bit like this:

That I can agree with also. Don't want to but I have to this time also LOL

C

Cymidei Fier

If someone really wants a town banner make them prove they are worthy. Let them show that their estabishment or town benefits in the Baja in some way. I would rather see an ongoing effort used as a deciding factor instead of size and activity.

Girl Scout Edith

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Salutes*

Greetings Everyone!

First off the Scouts would like to thank everyone for their very kind words and sentiments. We are always amazed at how nice everyone treats us!

Secondly, Anyone want to buy some cookies?
*giggles* Just kidding about that one!

Since most of us live in houses owned by our parents there isn't a way for us to have 6 buildings although we are currently building a cookie factory kinda near the Meeting House. It's location is top secret until we have the grand opening. We know we don't qualify for a town banner but if someone wanted to donate a camping area for us we would be thrilled. Whats a Girl Scout Troop without a camping area???

We really don't need a town banner. We are perfectly fine without one. The Scouts are about having fun and bringing a little unsuspected fun into the game for others. We will do what we do regardless.

The Scouts thank you for your thoughts and hope you will continue to help keep us safe when we get lost or get in trouble and that you keep Buying COOKIES! Lots and lots of COOKIES!

*Salutes*
Girl Scout Edith
Baja Girl Scout Troop 1

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Supporting/wanting something based upon envy is unwise, and beneath consideration.

A Banner is one thing, special improvements or benefits provided by Devs or EMs for use and benefit of a limited few should be utterly rejected.

Stick your Banners out and move on. No progress has occurred in the 4 map fragments scenario in more than 2 weeks.

Elladan of Baja

To my knowledge this is the bext example of what is possible with the Town Banner System. This is when I began to change my mind (based in part on envy).

[Imperium News] Kijustsu Anei Keys Banner Completed.

It is a fully functional dock system that the residents and villagers can use. This is what I wouldn't mind seeing. Docks. City Gates. Cannons and Catapults. Vineyards. Things that aren't attached to any one players building but still add flavor and character to the Town.

And I wouldn't mind seeing some groups aligning themselves with various storyline factions. I can imagine a hall of banners in Castle Britannia; with the standards belonging to those allied to Queen Dawn. The only concern I have is seeing groups miss out because they have their own alligiences, political motivations, storylines, etc.

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No progress has occurred in the 4 map fragments scenario in more than 2 weeks.

Elladan of Baja
Getting a little off subject, but for the amount of what I imagine is ridiculous planning, programming and design that goes into the Thiefmaster puzzle quests, I don't mind the EMs taking a little break to shove us in the meatgrinder. :) Being an EM should be fun, too.

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always thought that the extra improvements and benefits were due to Mesanna having both the time and passion to create these things for what I assume is partly her own enjoyment.

I'm not sure, but I don't think the EMs of each shard have anything to do with designing extra benefits and improvements.

I'll admit I would love to see some docks on Cartel Island, much like we petitioned Lord Casca to do a long while back. I can also see the counter argument of it not being fair and not in the spirit of what makes a community special (its citizens and their own hard work!).

I'm curious as to how others feel about that, especially from those who might not be getting town banners or have no plans to apply for banners in the future.

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some people are going to say that I'm biased.... Others already know I'm a genuine Bohemian crackpot, regardless of my involvement in player towns. Bona fide Bohemian crackpot. But I'm one of a handful of caretakers of a story that is much larger than myself. I work hard and work with a lot of other Bohemian crackpots to try to find ways to make the torch that I carry something that I can pass from one generation to the next.

I don't think anyone who posts in this thread is under the assumption that township "gets you anything" other than township. That's of course all we know for sure. But we share these pictures because we're excited by the dream they evoke. We share because we've walked the ruins of Avalon's fallen tower, or the Lumarian Bridges, or seen Meredith's Song and Tale shop. The real works of real people who called Baja home and who's torches we're carrying now. In 1998, that I sat down on a log and talked to a wisp, who suddenly began talking back (I'd stumbled on a Seer). That was the moment I realized this is the only game I know that interacts with its people. That moment changed me from a gamer into a Britannian.

We're a shard of dreamers in a land made for those who dream and I don't care if you're RP or SI or Cartel or anything in between. Baja's dreamers come in all playstyles and are Grand Masters in creating things larger than they are. We haven't always had EMs and we won't always have them, but we have them right now, in this moment. I agree with Elladan that we shouldn't jump in the lake, but if from my perspective the lake's in the middle of a desert of MMOs that offer nothing more than the kill/loot/ding/repeat armsrace, I'm going to dabble my toes in, whether I'm part of a town or not.

I have this optimistic liberal side of me that says everyone should be blessed. Cartel should have docks! Elladan, we should make all your house teleporters for free, and finally get everyone *truly* networked.
Dawn should have, heck, I don't know.. a jousting pavillion or something. And all of that should happen in consultation with our third EM, Sarsmi, who shall both perform Operation Past-Event Cleanup and be granted unlimited decorative powers while Crysania torments us with her spawn-storms and Seppo closes two or three storyline arcs because we know he can. :)

But that's not the only reason I drool over the pictures of what others have done. I drool because I dream... because of the story they tell. Kijustsu Anei is amazing, the kind of place that makes you want to move to Chessy just seeing. And if I'm jealous of Kijustsu Anei's docks, it's not because I want one in my backyard as much as I want to line all of Paws with them. If you haven't been to Avalon's ruined tower or climbed inside the Yattering Tree or stopped to enjoy the tranquility of the Justice Wedding Grove, then I recommend you come to tavern night tomorrow. Because we're going to go take a tour of some of the things that real people of Baja dreamed, both past and present. I can't imagine that just because we don't have a bridge named after everyone that the Lumarian Bridges aren't a great piece of Baja to share with those who don't know the stories....

This thread is about township, its qualifications, and the kind of roleplaying or community behavior it should encourage. We all know we're not realistically talking about blessings here and, beyond that, I know that EMs don't have carte blanche abilities. But I am a Baja dreamer, and you'll need to forgive me my toe-dabbling.

People at work who play Warcraft ask me why I play UO. I tell them it's because through the game, I know about the people who played before I did. And someone, through the game, might someday know something about me. Get that out of Dalaran or Orgrimmar.

*Shuts up again, for the sake of those with inarguably unbiased opinions, or at least those who aren't raving Bohemian crackpots* (Let's call this one my Gallileo V speech, for those of you West Wing junkies)

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Brytt & Folks,

As a West Wing junkie, I understand fully the wonderment of space and its exploration. And as a very longstanding Citizen of Sosaria and of Baja, I appreciate its History and Lore. However, I favor Dev or Seer or EM alterations that benefit the entire community, and not the chosen or favored few. And yet, what began as "improvements" at the West Britain Bank, became a disgustingly bad joke played upon us all. What was a very special Skara Fairegrounds has seen the effect of Dev sprawl, every bit as disturbing as its urban cousin.

Alterations to our very world should be few, epic, and for the benefit of all. Our world should NEVER become any one Dev's, Seer's, or EM's, plaything.

I have witnessed, first hand, the destruction caused by Dev's etc bestowing "special favors" on their chosen pets, or friends. I am all for Dev's and others dialoging with Players, all for cooperating to advance story-lines and bring off in-game Events etc. But all such demigods of EA Mythic need to treat us all equally well and fair. Becoming unequally fond of some, or unequally unfond of others is unprofessional and inappropriate.

Obviously, others are entitled to their own views. And sadly, each seem to have also become entitled to their own codes of what is "right & wrong."

I voice these views and concerns here out of love for Sosaria, for Baja, and for each of you.

If my concerns are unfounded no one will be more happy.

However, even Sir Nicholas the Old, whom I admire and respect greatly, spoke of his envy. I am human, and therefore subject to temptation like all other of us. But I also endeavor mightily to recognize temptation and to resist it.

Baja IS special.

I hope it remains special and hope its demigods have the Wisdom and Judgment to preserve and improve it, rather than alter and destroy it.

Regardless, I have endured it all for almost 13 years, and hope to endure what comes for at least 13 more ... and beyond.

Elladan of Baja
Legendary Paladin of Trinsic
Guardian of The Virtues
Watcher for the Return of our Eternal Lord British

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Elladan, that was respectful and well articulated.

We have some fundamental differences in our appetites for changing the landscape, but I totally get where you're coming from. Sorry about what sounds like a bad experience you had (on another shard, I presume?)

I'll admit, there are lots of things about WBB I like and some that I don't. I've never been a fan of the bright red stairs. I do like the rooftop a lot. I also don't think the monster-shaped buttes in Skara really suit the Baja style, but I digress....

*Checks his compass* Getting a lot off subject here, but I think these are good thoughts to explore. You mention preserving and improving without altering? Like what?

EMSeppo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you guys don't like something then speak up. If multiple people do not like something at Faire Grounds or somewhere else then it can possibly be removed. But, staying quiet about it will certainly not make it go away.

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you guys don't like something then speak up. If multiple people do not like something at Faire Grounds or somewhere else then it can possibly be removed. But, staying quiet about it will certainly not make it go away.
Be careful what you wish for! *snickers, then runs off to play with Photoshop and forum threads*

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And yet, what began as "improvements" at the West Britain Bank, became a disgustingly bad joke played upon us all. What was a very special Skara Fairegrounds has seen the effect of Dev sprawl, every bit as disturbing as its urban cousin.
Elladan, I've started a new thread that may be of interest to you. Please, if you think of any contenders, do contribute!

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Sorry to bug. If anyone has anymore questions about the Kijustsu Anei Keys banner please feel free to send them to me in a PM. I do not wish to derail your discussion. I just wanted to provide the original banner design to you all. Information can be found in the spoiler.

This is the original approved design. During construction some problems happened on the water or what not, I don't have details. Mesanna informed us that additional planks would need to be put down. She also had some wonderful improvement ideas and colors and we told her "whatever you think would look best" I am no expert in building items on the water but I could tell by the hours she put into constructing it that is was a pain in the butt.

After the pier was completed the decorations we had on it did not fit well. Mesanna said she would return if we wanted to change things. So we spent a few days in the drawing room and submitted new decorations.

The EM character Scarlet Von Trinsic has a picture there because she stole the Queens Ship that we ermm... stole from the Queen. I sent a email to EM Dudley asking if it would be okay to make a wanted poster of her.

The drinks are brewed in the Keys and recipes were made before they were even implemented into the dock. The Skeleton Key Shipping Company delivers these drinks to taverns and also other RP shipments that might be sent. We also host a bi-weekly Sunday night net toss and promised that at least 1 white fabled net would be thrown. No special improvements were made. Mesanna almost always has ideas to make a banner design look better. Thats why we said whatever you think will make it look good and the pier area can be used by anyone. Reason we have boats all over is because some people were griefing town banners so we put up extra security. Kijustsu Anei Keys has always been a small fishing and shipping village.

So that is the story behind the Banner Pier. As for Chesapeake banners going from 3space, to platform, to large platforms, to 2-story archways, to two story platforms, to the first pier well... that is a completely different story.

I hope this clears some things up for you guys.

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for sharing, Lord Gareth. I think it looks magnificent and it looks like you guys really deserve it.

It also looks like a lot of hard work went into it. Sheesh.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the banner being designed for the United Sosarian Navy [USN] on Chesapeake.

I want nice things like this for our shard. Sue me.

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That...is awesome.

Uh, if I absolutely had to nitpick though, isn't the positioning of the cannons odd? Their positions would mean that if there was a case of bad timing, the crossfire would interfere with each other.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know what they say about crossing cannons.

This piece was designed by the same individual (Lord Gareth) for the Empire of Aryslan on Chesapeake. The 'banner' is designed to look like the Tower of Aryslan - Headquarters of the Empire - before it fell into ruin several years ago. Their leader and several original members have since returned and have rebuilt much of the town around the original site; much like Golden has done on Baja.

I like this one because there is a real effort to showcase their history and lore.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think I am missing something here. For me, these in no way represent a banner. They are more like a plaza or a monument. What is their purpose? Are they a gathering place? A monument to show the town's power, strength, abilities, history etc?

Simply stated, a banner is a heraldic devise with charges, fields and colors that are identified as being associated with a particular family or town.

While I agree that everything seen so far is wonderful and yes, I too want nice things for our shard, to me its not a banner. I am not meaning to split hairs, just trying to understand the goal.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
'Banner' is an archaic term in the scheme of Town Recognition. When it was first suggested on Chesapeake; the plan was for each town to receive something like what Casca left for his supporters and enemies here on Baja. (i.e. Dawn and Ravenshire.) Baja actually was the inspiration for the system on other shards.

But from the beginning there was movement to make them bigger and representative of each town. The first couple received what can only be described as an 'Altar.' Guardians Gate received an archway over the road leading into the town (and several distinct pieces that I can only describe as a return to the Seer System on their Shard; such as items being locked down on the ground in certain areas such as lamp posts).

It has steadily progressed towards what would more accurately be described as a 'monument'; the most recent seaside towns receiving docks (the two I've depicted above) and Aryslan has received several pieces representative of its past.

So 'Town Monument' would be the most accurate description. The purpose? To showcase the town and sometimes to add something that we can't build ourselves; such as a massive gateway over the road leading into town (Guardians Gate flanks both sides of the road between Britain and the Swamp) or docks.

Update: This is Aryslan.

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?p=1774089#post1774089

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Of all the "town banners" that I've studied, there really seemed to be just a handful of constructions that had the literal appearance of heraldric banners. Tancred of Glyndenfeld in Chessy designed a couple that I'd consider "heraldric". Most of the rest I would classify as "monuments", although many also encorporated a literal heraldric banner tile or tiles as elements of the finished monument.

Chessy is an interesting case study because you'll find some of the most simple and complex monuments (see Gareth's notes above) on the same server, but the one thing they have in common is a "heraldric banner" which is literally the one or two-tile banner or pennant which represents their city and hangs outside of Luna. These are small enough that you can hang one or two small items in front, but that's about it.

I think Town Recognition more accurately sums up the mean average of what you'll find on other shards than Town Banner, if you're naming the system by its purpose than the monuments, which have seen a wide degree of variation, even within shards.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a movement towards both. The town monument being the decorative centerpiece of a recognized town. And the heraldric banners and standards being something that can both decorate the monument and parts of the town; but can be hung in a central locatiol like Luna.

I'd prefer though - if we moved in such a direction with banners being hung in a central location with teleporters being located beneath them - that it be located within the Walls of Castle Britannia (i.e. the inner corridors of the outer curtain wall) as opposed to Luna. There is a movement on this shard to make Britain useful and the focal point again. I'd like to continue to encourage that.

And as for banners? This is another set of docks that was constructed on Catskills for the United Pirates.

http://www.aschulze.net/ultima/stories10/story0150.htm

And this is a simpler looking banner that was developed for the Elven Quarter on Europa. (I believe the Elven Quarter is a section of the Duchy of Trinsic.)

http://www.uoforums.com/vesper-ooc-board/77298-re-vesper-town-banner-recognition.html

EMSeppo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am back from vacation. Me and Crys will hammer out the final details and get this ship rowing in the coming week. At this point, the best approach will probably to get things rolling and then, build upon it.

Thanks for all the feedback, so far.

J

Jamlyn

Thank you for your kind words about Aryslan WarderDragon. Gareth and I worked hard together to present that banner to Mesanna and the EM's. We are very lucky we were able to get what we did.

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And this is a simpler looking banner that was developed for the Elven Quarter on Europa.

Note the keyword: "looking". As I recall, those trees weren't there before. Maybe the pond, too. But I think I remember reading that some of the landscape elements were a part of this particular monument.

Otherwise, yes, a very heraldric banner.

I am back from vacation. Me and Crys will hammer out the final details and get this ship rowing in the coming week. At this point, the best approach will probably to get things rolling and then, build upon it.

Thanks for all the feedback, so far.
Welcome back, Seppo. I've just returned from vacation as well. Which overdue project to rekindle first? Hmmm.

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd prefer though - if we moved in such a direction with banners being hung in a central location with teleporters being located beneath them - that it be located within the Walls of Castle Britannia (i.e. the inner corridors of the outer curtain wall) as opposed to Luna. There is a movement on this shard to make Britain useful and the focal point again. I'd like to continue to encourage that.
Meant to say earlier... this is a fantastic idea. I love the thought of Britain being the teleporter hub to the player cities. Luna is... well.... there are already enough reasons to hang out in Luna.

**Edit: though maybe not right by the bank. :) The Counselor's Guild in East Brit?

EMSeppo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think it will be possible to have the hub in Britain. We would be the only shard that would have it there then and that could potentially cause headaches during future global events.

It might be possible to have it in Faire Grounds instead of Luna but I am not sure if there is room for it. Also, not sure how well it would mesh with rest of the grounds. I don't want you guys getting upset if it looked alien. Maybe if someone can (quickly) propose a location and style for the hub in Faire Grounds that fits in well, we might be able to do something about it.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do we need a teleport hub?

I'm not sure using the fairegrounds would make any more sense to me than using Luna. But I'm imagining these as IC devices with an IC background and purpose. I wouldn't even bother with teleporters. You're making a magical backdoor to your kingdom from Britannia; and our characters have seen exactly how that works out.

What would I do? Have each town design a monument and a heraldric banner. The banners can either be hung in locations that the guild has a political relationship with (i.e. the County of Berg and the Town of Golden might have theirs hung at Castle Britannia; the Covenant of the Dark Moon might instead have theirs hung in Zento due to their leaders fealty to the Empress) or we can use a central location that is used for the expressed purpose of being a neutral meeting place for all political entities (i.e. Sosaria's version of the League of Nations; perhaps in a central location like the Trinsic Meeting Hall).

If we do the latter - for realisms sake - then all NPC political entities (Zento and Britannia) should have banners as well. It could create an element of political intrigue on our shard as various factions compete for their often divergent interests. Even those controlled by the event moderators.

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uggh. It kills a little piece of me inside to say I'd rather have it at Luna than the Fairegrounds, but I'd rather have a hub at Luna than the Fairegrounds.

I thought it would be a good way to bring life back to the capitol city, but given the choice between the Fairegrounds or somewhere closer to a moongate, like Luna, I'd pick Luna. That way, at least the out-of-towners and those who mightn't otherwise go there might stumble on the player-run cities a little more often. Besides which, the Fairegrounds are fairly compact and already quite colorful. I don't think we can add more without our cups runnething over again.

I see Seppo's point about in-game fiction possibly needing to use the same space as the banners. It's a pity, but I understand the conflict. I wouldn't have wanted them right by WBB anyway and Brit doesn't have the benefit of all that highly visible wall like Luna.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How about the 2nd floor of the main building in Luna? The main room there is pretty much unused and is a fairly decent sized space.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
*Looks for banner design regulations*
hmmm...I wonder what Seppo will allow me to get away with? *Returns to the Kingdom of Dawn banner design*

Noble Beast

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the idea of Luna's second floor, and I have another two cents to add: the EM Museum Hall in Malas as a teleporter hub/banner display/independent meeting hall?

I am not attached to any of the ideas here; just thought I would throw something new into the mix. *grins*

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
*mind and fingers rebel as I type this*

I, unfornately, have to agree that a teleport hub will not fit in with the Faire Grounds and will need....will need to be....will need to be located in or near Luna.

WildStar

N

Nastia Cross

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but on Chesapeake we have the town teleporters outside the Luna walls opposite the Fairgrounds. I'm at work or I would provide a screen shot.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Our faireground is located near Skara Brae.

Wildstar said:
I, unfornately, have to agree that a teleport hub will not fit in with the Faire Grounds and will need....will need to be....will need to be located in or near Luna.
You will have to explain the 'need' part to me.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't know if its possible but maybe the entire second floor of the Luna main building could be reworked. I know this might offend some but it could be a pretty decent tavern or park to hang out in. It would be close enough to where most of the shard hangs out and possibly capture some of the new or old folk who might have an unrealized interest in RP.

Just a thought... don't hate me for it....

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know if its possible but maybe the entire second floor of the Luna main building could be reworked. I know this might offend some but it could be a pretty decent tavern or park to hang out in. It would be close enough to where most of the shard hangs out and possibly capture some of the new or old folk who might have an unrealized interest in RP.

Just a thought... don't hate me for it....
What depresses me about all the other shards putting their banners in Luna is that it dashes my hopes of a global event that gives the holy city the Magincia treatment someday. :sad3:

But it's a double-edged viking sword, because the fact that Luna will likely be spared from future demolitions or major map-changing global events (to avoid mucking up the hard-earned banners) may make things like some modest improvements more entertainable. I like your thought of making Luna a little more green indoors... or.. something. It's awfully stark and... yellow.

You may be on to something, Amber. (Don't hate me for bouncing my thoughts off Amber's thoughts--they're just thoughts right now!!) Some tasteful, realistic cosmetic upgrades eventually might make the Luna pill a little easier for us to swallow.

...but one thing at a time.

I like the creative juices in here.

EMSeppo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You lot are positively going off-topic! :p

If you find Luna ugly (completely understandable), just hang out in Britain!

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uh-oh, we're "you lot" now. Better get back to townships n' things.

Although, we did start the Golden Raspberry Award from this thread, so the tangents have at least born a little fruit.

Plus, this is now the second most vibrant conversation next to the picture thread. We're not normally the most forum-chatty shard, so I love all the opinions surfacing here, lots of feedback from lots of perspectives.

Counselor's Guild is starting to see some furniture and plants. Looks like Kullervo's crew is getting settled in nicely.

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry, but can we go back to the "creative juices"?

Mmmmm...juices.

Y

Yalp

Just FYI on CTDM.

Even though we're hardly ever mentioned in the same sentence as the other guilds in Role playing circles, several of our members are very involved. However we do not profess nor seek individual governing authority over ourselves. We are loyal subjects of The Empress of Zento's kingdom.

We have, as history has shown, lent our blood, sweat and tears to support the peace and prosperity of all of Sosaria's rightful kingdoms and those men and women of good will. To this end, we have been willing defenders of Queen Dawn, dedicated members of the Town Guards, and hold a special relationship with the kingdom of Queen Zhah by the presence of our Gargoyle Ambassador. Our members have been sharing their blood sweat and tears for the peaceful cooperative benefit of these kingdoms. We have outposts in Ter Mur and Britannia to better facilitate our efforts. But our home base is in the beautiful city of Zento, our beloved Empresses birthright.

The town banner system will not recognize this contribution CTDM makes to Baja.