• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

TOS Agreement ...read it fast

Ruppy2

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I kept timing out as I tried to read.... what is this about SONY???

http://[IMG]http://i68.***********/14wx6v5.png[/IMG] http://[IMG]http://i68.***********/14wx6v5.png[/IMG] http://i68.***********/14wx6v5.png

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I asked that on Siege too, no one seemed bothered. I was curious too though.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it just me not seeing it or is Electronic Arts not mentioned?

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
o_O
If you go to EA's corporate site, Ultima Online: Stygian Abyss is still listed as a Game/Asset.

I believe is a copy/paste error, as throughout the rest of the ToS it is Broadsword. Or at least I hope so...

@Mesanna
@Bleak

Ruppy2

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only one that reads these things :dunce: I guess I will wave my right to not hold Sony responsible

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not sure if I should :facepalm: or :wall:.

Regardless that's fairly :lame::coco:.

Seriously, who plagiarizes a ToS?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
o_O
If you go to EA's corporate site, Ultima Online: Stygian Abyss is still listed as a Game/Asset.

I believe is a copy/paste error, as throughout the rest of the ToS it is Broadsword. Or at least I hope so...

@Mesanna
@Bleak
Still possible for broad sword to be a Sony holding/Subsidiary. Some Clarification would be nice as I like to know who I am giving my money to :)

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Maybe everyone shouldn't jump the gun. Sony may be involved in some software or hardware or something else that simply hasn't be disclosed to us as of yet.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe everyone shouldn't jump the gun. Sony may be involved in some software or hardware or something else that simply hasn't be disclosed to us as of yet.
Why would EA allow Sony, a direct competitor, any sort of access or dominion over one of their IPs?

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Found this.

When you subscribe to the Sony Network (the PlayStation network
and Sony's music and video network; similar to Netflix I guess),
you are bound to arbitration.

The terms have a warning at the beginning:

Terms of Service

NOTE: THIS AGREEMENT CONTAINS A BINDING INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION
AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER PROVISION IN SECTION 17 THAT AFFECTS
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT WITH RESPECT TO ANY "DISPUTE"
(AS DEFINED BELOW) BETWEEN YOU AND SNEI, SONY COMPUTER
ENTERTAINMENT INC., SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA LLC,
THEIR AFFILIATES, PARENTS OR SUBSIDIARIES (COLLECTIVELY, "SONY
ENTITIES"). YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO OPT OUT OF THE BINDING
ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER PROVISIONS AS DESCRIBED IN
SECTION 17.
Exactly the same.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I noticed this new ToS yesterday after repeatedly being kicked out of the game, which was weird! I did briefly glance through it but I didn't see that Sony part, not sure what to make of it all. Not really a big fan of Sony after they said EQ2 wouldn't be free-to-play on all servers and then it was....

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only one that reads these things :dunce: I guess I will wave my right to not hold Sony responsible
Since it went away before it could all be read and I suspect logging in would qualify as acceptance of it, I'm done playing until they make *that* presented version available for reading without vanishing before it can all be read.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmmmm mandatory update leads to a different TOS that cant be read before you time out but prominently features an addition of SONY to the TOS. Either this is another in a long line of epic gaffs by this dev team or something is a foot???

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And true to form, there is neither a confirmation nor denial forthcoming...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I kept timing out as I tried to read.... what is this about SONY???

http://[IMG]http://i68.***********/14wx6v5.png[/IMG] http://[IMG]http://i68.***********/14wx6v5.png[/IMG] http://i68.***********/14wx6v5.png
It would be amazing if this were just a copy edit botch. Couldn't get much more bush league than that, heh.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be amazing if this were just a copy edit botch. Couldn't get much more bush league than that, heh.
If it were just a copy error, I would think it would be corrected by now. Since I logged into a account this morning and got the same TOS, it would stand to reason that it is not a error. A error like that would be corrected rather quickly if for no other reason to keep the Masters at EA from slapping you down for promoting a competitor. And with the high level of disclosure and transparency we as customers get, we are typically left with making the most logical assumptions and guesses.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it were just a copy error, I would think it would be corrected by now. Since I logged into a account this morning and got the same TOS, it would stand to reason that it is not a error. A error like that would be corrected rather quickly if for no other reason to keep the Masters at EA from slapping you down for promoting a competitor. And with the high level of disclosure and transparency we as customers get, we are typically left with making the most logical assumptions and guesses.
Oh I didn't think it actually was, I was just saying how hilarious would that be? :p

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Late April fool's joke maybe? hehe :pie:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If it's an oopsie I wouldn't read too much into it. With the exceptions of parties names most of a games tos is the same crap. Careless error, sure. Now if it wasn't an error that would make things very interesting.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it's an oopsie I wouldn't read too much into it. With the exceptions of parties names most of a games tos is the same crap. Careless error, sure. Now if it wasn't an error that would make things very interesting.
In a world of product branding that would be a big oopsie :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I doubt it would make things all that interesting honestly, at least not for UO players. :p

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I doubt it would make things all that interesting honestly, at least not for UO players. :p
I disagree. If a company Sony s size is purchasing something it's for a reason. Not to just let it flounder about.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I disagree. If a company Sony s size is purchasing something it's for a reason. Not to just let it flounder about.
I mean, they don't make games, so the most that would come out of it is if someone wanted to make a new ultima game they would have to pay Sony for the rights.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yes and no. Yes ea would be irritated. No because let's face it, a majority of players simply don't read the TOS.
This has been a problem since I dunno when ... yet by entering the game a player is implicitly agreeing to all of the stipulated conditions of a EULA, RoC, ToS or any combo of them. THAT is what trips up some folks when they say "I didn't agree to that!" ... ummm, oh yes you did - by logging in.

I'm thinking that this was a cut/paste job from Sony EULA and someone missed references. But it would be nice to have official input on it.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I'm not saying it is or isn't, but large companies have been known to buy smaller organizations just to shut them down shortly after as a tax write off.

I'm sure it was a Copy Pasta Edit error though, as Sony spun off SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) into Daybreak Games.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
  1. The Terms of Service that is now present in the log in process has been corrected and you will also be able to view a Japanese version of the Terms of Service.
  2. We have also fixed a crash reported by the players involving the Enhanced client and containers.

Posted to UO.COM....it will feed through here shortly...so stop the conspiracy theories, it's fixed! :)

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
  1. The Terms of Service that is now present in the log in process has been corrected and you will also be able to view a Japanese version of the Terms of Service.
  2. We have also fixed a crash reported by the players involving the Enhanced client and containers.
Posted to UO.COM....it will feed through here shortly...so stop the conspiracy theories, it's fixed! :)
Just because they put the mask back on doesn't change that we saw the lizard person underneath.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, thats... really funny. Also a bit sad. :(

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
oh frak! Take away all our fun. And kudos to @Aran for the "V" reference.