• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tigers

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, i've been running around gathering info on Tigers with Animal Lore (i lored 50 Tigers) as well as in-combat observations, and here's the results.
Only 1 out of the 50 Tigers was a special color, black.

Stats
Strength: 500-555
Dexterity: 85-125
Intelligence: 85-165
Health: 350-450
Stamina: 85-125
Mana: 85-165
Resists
Physical: 55-75
Fire: 20-40
Cold: 55-65
Poison: 30-40
Energy: 25-35
Damage
100% Physical
Base Damage: 18-24
Skills
Wrestling: 89.6-95.1
Tactics: 100.2-102.5
Resist: 88.4-98.0
Anatomy: 0.0

The Tiger has access to Bleed Attack, as well as a special that reduces the opponents Physical Resist by 5 for a few seconds (seen as a brief sparkle graphic). Lesser Hiryus/Hiryus also possess this attack. The Tiger is not mountable, and does not have Pack Instincts. The Tiger is often angered by tame attempts, and takes 2 Control Slots when tamed.

I then did a combat comparison between the Tiger to the current, best 2 Slot pet, the Bake Kitsune. Both were fully trained, and had good overall stats for their species. I had each attack a tame, fully trained Greater Dragon with 117.0 Wrestling, until it was redlined. It took the Tiger 1 minute and 45 seconds to redline the Greater. It took the Bake Kitsune 2 minutes, 47 seconds to redline the Greater.
So it appears the Tiger has greater offensive power than the Bake Kitsune, and is tankier against pure Physical opponents (due to higher Health and Physical Resist), but is less tanky against opponents that use magic or do melee damage other than Physical.

Last edited:

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You didn't explicitly state, that it doesn't have a pack instinct.
I wouldn't expect them to have one, but you knever now. After all we got bronze ore as well xD

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
well they where said to be between Nightmares and DreadMares for their stuff so your observations fall in line with that.

im still rather surprised that they are not mountable.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
You didn't explicitly state, that it doesn't have a pack instinct.
I wouldn't expect them to have one, but you knever now. After all we got bronze ore as well xD
so they dont have pack instincts?
that is odd... and even a little more of a detraction from them.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's just an assumption on my side, since in his post he neither confirmed nor declined it.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
No I lored a few and tamed a couple they do not according to the gump

Attachments

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They do not have pack instincts. Neither do Tigers in real life. The only feline IRL that has a sort of "pack instinct", are Lions. Updated my original post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vor

Sunseri

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If we are going by what real life tigers can and can't do, a back of a tiger would not be able to support the weight of someone in full armor while running in full speed as we would want them to do. Tigers are not a beast of burden.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I gotta say though, that the 3 Tiger Pelts you skin off of Tigers are too heavy, at 10 stones each. Not even the Dragon Turtle Scute weighs that much, at 5 Stones each.

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How hard are the Tigers to tame as far as their aggressiveness? Are they equivalent to taming a Nightmare?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How hard are the Tigers to tame as far as their aggressiveness? Are they equivalent to taming a Nightmare?
Basically. They anger when attempting to tame, so you got to spam a Last Skill, Last Target macro on them. With 120 Taming/Lore, i only failed one tame attempt on a Tiger. I only tamed 3 Tigers though. However, since they lack any ranged attacks, it's pretty easy to lead tame them.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Hellcats have pack instincts.
Feline.
are tigers not feline?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally, i initially thought the Bake Kitsune would have an advantage over the Tiger in the combat test. First, because the Bake Kitsune attacked faster (due to having 150+ Stam after self Bless), 30% of it's melee damage was Energy (which was a weaker resist on the GD than Physical) and it had magic, which has 100% hit chance, while melee would've had less than 50% chance to land on the GD (since the Bake/Tiger had GM Wrest, and the GD has 117.0).
The Tiger won the test though, probably because against such a high resist target, the Bleed Attack (which always lands and does Direct Damage) was doing as much damage as the spells were, plus the Physical Resist debuff ability was helping his damage as well.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hellcats have pack instincts.
Feline.
are tigers not feline?
Yeah, the Hellcats having Pack Instincts is kind of a head scratcher, but it's an imaginary animal so *shrugs*. Like i said, the only Feline with pack instincts in RL is Lions.
In fact, i went to the Seattle Zoo recently, and one of the Zookeepers specifically stated that they had to keep the male and female Jaguar separated, otherwise they would kill each other. The only time they could be together was when the female was in estrus, and this held true for most Felines if they weren't siblings. They did have like 3 Tigers laying in a pile though, but those were all siblings.

how many tigers can you have tamed at one time?
2. Each one takes 2 Control Slots.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, i've been running around gathering info on Tigers with Animal Lore (i lored 50 Tigers) as well as in-combat observations, and here's the results.
Only 1 out of the 50 Tigers was a special color, black.

Stats
Strength: 500-555
Dexterity: 85-125
Intelligence: 85-165
Health: 350-450
Stamina: 85-125
Mana: 85-165
Resists
Physical: 55-75
Fire: 20-40
Cold: 55-65
Poison: 30-40
Energy: 25-35
Damage
100% Physical
Base Damage: 18-24
Skills
Wrestling: 89.6-95.1
Tactics: 100.2-102.5
Resist: 88.4-98.0
Anatomy: 0.0

The Tiger has access to Bleed Attack, as well as a special that reduces the opponents Physical Resist by 5 for a few seconds (seen as a brief sparkle graphic). Lesser Hiryus/Hiryus also possess this attack. The Tiger is not mountable, and does not have Pack Instincts. The Tiger is often angered by tame attempts, and takes 2 Control Slots when tamed.

I then did a combat comparison between the Tiger to the current, best 2 Slot pet, the Bake Kitsune. Both were fully trained, and had good overall stats for their species. I had each attack a tame, fully trained Greater Dragon with 117.0 Wrestling, until it was redlined. It took the Tiger 1 minute and 45 seconds to redline the Greater. It took the Bake Kitsune 2 minutes, 47 seconds to redline the Greater.
So it appears the Tiger has greater offensive power than the Bake Kitsune, and is tankier against pure Physical opponents (due to higher Health and Physical Resist), but is less tanky against opponents that use magic or do melee damage other than Physical.
Basically a tankier raptor with no pack instinct.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I guess the real question now is considering what we have seen about them, will the community use them or will they become another tamable to be left forgotten in the corner?

Just asking, I've been away for a long time and don't know what do intermediate level tamers use nowadays.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess the real question now is considering what we have seen about them, will the community use them or will they become another tamable to be left forgotten in the corner?
I'm sure some odd people will use them, they are probably at least functional in a lot of encounters. Probably same people who use Bake/Beetle combo. Of course 95% of people will just use a Cu or a GD/DT.

BastianHawk

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran

Just asking, I've been away for a long time and don't know what do intermediate level tamers use nowadays.
Who knows. I like the fact that we have so many options for animals that we can possibly tame. But you are right - they are largely ignored b/c they lack actual utility.

I wish there were a mechanic that certain tamed animals provided character boosts and could be theory crafted into a template. Really the only tame that I know that does this now is the swamp dragon with it's armor addition. If pet birds gave a range + 1 or canines added +10 to tracking then I can see a really fun work-in for these largely unused pets. (outside of RP)

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Who knows. I like the fact that we have so many options for animals that we can possibly tame. But you are right - they are largely ignored b/c they lack actual utility.

I wish there were a mechanic that certain tamed animals provided character boosts and could be theory crafted into a template. Really the only tame that I know that does this now is the swamp dragon with it's armor addition. If pet birds gave a range + 1 or canines added +10 to tracking then I can see a really fun work-in for these largely unused pets. (outside of RP)
That's a really good idea. I hope to also have some day other big pets as strong as the GD but with other damage types. Someone was suggesting some days ago a Greater Ice Wyrm or something like that.

BastianHawk

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
That's a really good idea. I hope to also have some day other big pets as strong as the GD but with other damage types. Someone was suggesting some days ago a Greater Ice Wyrm or something like that.
More end game beasties would be nice for variety. That too is a good idea.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Maybe another expansion some day: "Great Wyrm Wars" with new strong dragons with different elemental damages and opposing resists. Greater Poison Dragon, already have fire ones, maybe revamp the Ice Wyrm, perhaps an Energy/Elder Wyrm of Power, etc...one can dream ;)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm sure some odd people will use them, they are probably at least functional in a lot of encounters. Probably same people who use Bake/Beetle combo. Of course 95% of people will just use a Cu or a GD/DT.
The Rune Beetle+Bake Kitsune combo still out damages the GD on most fights. Rune Beetle+Tiger most definately will. The Rune Beetle in particular makes that combo powerful, because of their Armor Corruption ability. Armor Corruption halves the opponents Resists for several seconds, so everyone attacking it's target does more damage, making them great as a team player. With "Combat Training: Consume Damage" making pets very tanky, the Rune Beetle may see a good amount of use again due to their utility. Hell, 2 fully trained Fire Steeds can out damage a GD against Fire weak opponents, it's just that the Fire Steeds are really fragile.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I really hope the pet revamp lets you train stuff up, that way people could just make other tames into high level pets with training. I still want a dread walrus dammnit! :D
I still want to tame Dread Spiders... a pair of those would be awesome.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I still want to tame Dread Spiders... a pair of those would be awesome.
Lol, yeah. I've always wanted to tame a Phoenix too, ever since my guild got it's ass kicked by one in 1998, like 25 people and 6 Dragons dead to one Phoenix. Why i was hoping the Greater Phoenix would be tameable :(

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Lol, yeah. I've always wanted to tame a Phoenix too, ever since my guild got it's ass kicked by one in 1998, like 25 people and 6 Dragons dead to one Phoenix. Why i was hoping the Greater Phoenix would be tameable :(
That would be cool! Sure would beat having a Greater Dragon wouldn't it?!

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
There we have it. We all need more high end tamables. Then we'd see players with different creatures instead of everyone prancing around GDs...

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

unicorns cure low level poison, and cus heal you. kinda cool, but generally the benefits are too low to actually work with.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Out of curiosity, you compare it to a Bake Kitsune. Have you done comparisons using raptors?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just tamed two high STR, high DEX Raptors. Going to train them up to GM Wrest/Tact/Anat, then test how they do on a 117.0 Wrest GD, versus two fully trained Tigers.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just tamed two high STR, high DEX Raptors. Going to train them up to GM Wrest/Tact/Anat, then test how they do on a 117.0 Wrest GD, versus two fully trained Tigers.
Can add wolf spiders to the testing too! I've been meaning to try two wolf spiders with a third regular or frost spider to boost their pack instinct bonuses.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really hope the pet revamp lets you train stuff up, that way people could just make other tames into high level pets with training. I still want a dread walrus dammnit! :D
Albino ninja Squirrel for the win :D

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Can add wolf spiders to the testing too! I've been meaning to try two wolf spiders with a third regular or frost spider to boost their pack instinct bonuses.
I have 2 fully trained 4.0 or 4.1 Wolf spiders and I can say they can do some serious damage..... their problem is that if something sneezes on them they are dead. They have very LOW HP making them an awesome pet if you aren't really fighting anything big or not fighting anything that would hurt them.... I would think if you took them to fight Poison elementals they would ROCK... since they have 100% poison resist. But against 99% of mobs they squish like a bug. They can take on most all overland mobs, trolls, ogres, reapers and the like... but put them up against things in Covetous or Shame and they die constantly. They can't take on a Boura either. The reason I like them is that they are VERY fast. They can actually keep up with you fairly well.... where as many pets lag behind and slow you way down. I also have a fully trained frost spider that I take with them.

IMO because of their lack of HP they ought to only be a 1 slot pet. 5 of these things would be VERY nasty. But again they die very quickly so... they aren't that great of a threat... and any PvPer would have a spider slayer on them and one good Whirl Wind would wipe them out fairly quickly. If of course an opponent saw them coming and had time to equip a spider slayer before they jumped him... Otherwise the spiders would win.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone told me there is a pet rebalance due after the expansion?

Maybe changes to wolf spiders will come then.

*Greater WW. Greater WW. Greater WW. Pleeeeeease.*

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone told me there is a pet rebalance due after the expansion?
I'd love to have blue beetles and fire beetles be able to fight like at least a 2 control slot pet can. Heck, the fire beetle should have a flame or heat attack as well that thumps rump, it can melt metal you know.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just tested two fully trained Tigers against a tame Greater Dragon with 117.0 Wrest, it took them 1 min and 10 seconds to red line it.
Then i tested two fully trained Raptors against the same Greater Dragon, and it took them 1min and 55 seconds to red line it. So not only are Tigers tankier than Raptors, but they also do more damage, even without Pack Instincts.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, the Hellcats having Pack Instincts is kind of a head scratcher, but it's an imaginary animal so *shrugs*. Like i said, the only Feline with pack instincts in RL is Lions.
In fact, i went to the Seattle Zoo recently, and one of the Zookeepers specifically stated that they had to keep the male and female Jaguar separated, otherwise they would kill each other. The only time they could be together was when the female was in estrus, and this held true for most Felines if they weren't siblings. They did have like 3 Tigers laying in a pile though, but those were all siblings.

2. Each one takes 2 Control Slots.
Cheetah's have pack instinct IRL. Male siblings tend to hunt together pretty frequently and once cubs are 4 months+ they hunt with the mother for up to a year and a half before she kicks them from the nest, so to speak. They are loners, generally speaking, but they do hunt in packs.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The reason I like them is that they are VERY fast. They can actually keep up with you fairly well.... where as many pets lag behind and slow you way down.
Yep. Wolf Spiders have between 145-165 DEX, so it's pretty easy for them to hit the 150+ Stam increment that makes them faster than most other pets. The 164/165 DEX Wolf Spiders, can even hit the vaunted 180+ Stam point with a Bless/Agility (which the only other pets that can do so being the Rune Beetle and believe it or not, the Pack Horse/Pack Llama), allowing them to attack and move like lightning.

Last edited:

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 2 fully trained 4.0 or 4.1 Wolf spiders and I can say they can do some serious damage..... their problem is that if something sneezes on them they are dead. They have very LOW HP making them an awesome pet if you aren't really fighting anything big or not fighting anything that would hurt them.... I would think if you took them to fight Poison elementals they would ROCK... since they have 100% poison resist. But against 99% of mobs they squish like a bug. They can take on most all overland mobs, trolls, ogres, reapers and the like... but put them up against things in Covetous or Shame and they die constantly. They can't take on a Boura either. The reason I like them is that they are VERY fast. They can actually keep up with you fairly well.... where as many pets lag behind and slow you way down. I also have a fully trained frost spider that I take with them.

IMO because of their lack of HP they ought to only be a 1 slot pet. 5 of these things would be VERY nasty. But again they die very quickly so... they aren't that great of a threat... and any PvPer would have a spider slayer on them and one good Whirl Wind would wipe them out fairly quickly. If of course an opponent saw them coming and had time to equip a spider slayer before they jumped him... Otherwise the spiders would win.
All you need to do is train up any pet and max their dex to 125 and any pet will keep up. I've got fully trained mongbats that keep up with me. =)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just tested two fully trained Tigers against a tame Greater Dragon with 117.0 Wrest, it took them 1 min and 10 seconds to red line it.
Then i tested two fully trained Raptors against the same Greater Dragon, and it took them 1min and 55 seconds to red line it. So not only are Tigers tankier than Raptors, but they also do more damage, even without Pack Instincts.
Poor Raptors. Harder to tame, weaker, easier to kill. :(

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am just disappointed that you can't 'ride' the tigers. If they are between a mare and a dread mare seems to me to be no reason they can't be ridden as both of those can be. I guess it will be another pet that looks ok but in the general scheme of things will be left in the stable when it comes to real day to day fighting. Sad, a missed opportunity.