• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Story of Wintermoor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
JC, I know your sense of humor and I know your personality (to some extent). In some ways, I am the same way. If people are talking **** about me, I am more likely to give them more meat to chew on than bother to clear it up.

However, sometimes that type of behavior can get you in trouble. That coupled with the fact that you like to come up with rather silly jokes every few months... you are going to have one group of people who will buy into all your stories and other group that will never believe anything you say. I don't think either is a good thing.

C

concernedplayer

I think its deplorable how stratics allowed a complete character assassination unfold for such a long time. For a while there I thought this was the official trash-JC website and not a UO forums website.

Some threads are against stratics rules, and they delete them on sight. I'd like to know why that wasn't the case with all these trash-JC threads.

MolaRom

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think its deplorable how stratics allowed a complete character assassination unfold for such a long time. For a while there I thought this was the official trash-JC website and not a UO forums website.

Some threads are against stratics rules, and they delete them on sight. I'd like to know why that wasn't the case with all these trash-JC threads.
i have seen very little trash talking here... everything said has been about the situation itself. these threads stand because they are legitimate topics and have deep implications. jc doesn't run these forums; he cannot determine what is and what is not right.

this mess was all started by his dry sense of humor and then, when it was about to die out, he reignited it with fake website and drama, drama, drama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he must have known it would just make it worse...

who is assasinating his character, but him? looks to me like he shot himself in the foot here

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
JC, I think you know it was probably wrong to mess with people this way. It sounds like you were fed up, but I think you got more than you bargained for by teasing them.

I gotta say, it didn't even sound remotely likely that EA would transfer a house to random joe shmoe player in any circumstance. What I actually thought happened was that house got transferred from one of xanthars accounts but in order to keep it from getting hit by a delayed ban JC decided to say EA gave it to him to cloud the issue. A few things wrong with this theory as well, but I didn't really give the matter too much thought. Some of you people going nuts over this issue need to take a step back and look at *why* you are getting so upset. Dial it down a few notches, really.

T

Teeshy

So I read most of the threads involving this topic and I would like to say it was great. It had everything, comedy, excitement, revenge, plot twists, and a full circle "happy" ending. You cant make up events like this, thanks JC!

-Glim
But there was no romance! And no steamy sex scene - other than that I totally agree with you =D

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- Your story reads as quite plausible, JC.

But surely you have heard about the boy who called wolf.
As you say, you only gave the link to one person; and you likely knew it would be passed-around, if only to 'slander' you.
So don't be too offended when people question your legitimacy (with regards to this specific situation) because, if for nothing else, you knew you were toying with people that would try to make some drama. And you partook in it a bit too.
I like to think your story is the more accurate of the rest.
But ruses can sometimes farce things up.
Yup, the pranks certainly came back to haunt him :)

*begins writing a movie script*

Narrator:
Actually, it's not so much that he likely knew it would be passed around - He had intended for the person to pass it around. He deliberately sent it to accelerate/exacerbate matters. His plan would not work otherwise.

He singled-out his nemesis in this situation and sent the faked evidence to see if that person will fall for it and how far will he/she go. Also perhaps, to observe the chaos among the masses, "who would they believe?". He also deliberately fanned the flames, by direct action (they asked if i wanted the things packed into a box) or by inaction (no one would believe me unless Electra Artemis says something).

Caring not that he was messing with people's minds.

And finally, once everything is revealed, he will be vindicated as the mis-understood hero. On top of that, he gets to discredit and expose his nemesis at the same time. He relishes the anticipation when that moment finally comes.

However, he did not foresee one very important thing...

Scene 1 Act 1

:p

R

RavenWinterHawk

Well,

Posting is the worst way to present jokes and sarcasm.
There are no verbal cues.

Im not sure what business is anyones anyway. Or what the truth is.

Maybe you should all meet up at a pub and talk it out.

Nothing will be resolved here.

Less you going for a vote. Truth or not truth.
51% to 49% and some declares victory.

If not this will go on for ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever...

Fizzleton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*laughed hardly all the way*

jc, thx for that story! that fake auction site was great, really, don't bother! If there are peeps that scream "conspiracy", give 'em what they want. Just to make clear that they take things far too serious.

Plot is like "True lies".

Regards

A

Aboo

. . . I am going to attempt to contact Xanthar and hopefully he will put his oppinion here to end this issue. As I said, I hope all the stuff gets deleted. Wintermoor is no more and never will be. . .
I am sorry to have to say this because I have always respected what you have posted before, but I am amazed that you are so vengeful, for whatever the reason, that you would wish some of Atlantic's history would be deleted just to fill your need for vengeance. :(

T

Tom Bombadil

I can't believe people care enough about a couple of towers to continue this.

Now that the truth is out, be happy, play uo.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I came across this quote (I have not yet read any replies to this thread), I did not take it as a joke myself.

Why would it be funny to say that EA gave you the towers to preserve? I do have some common sense (I like to think more than an ouunce) AND a sense of humor................ I fail to see the sense OR humor in saying that EA transfered the houses to you, and then not immediately clearing up the joke, when you saw pleople begin to take it seriosuly. You simply let these people continue to reply under the impression that what you said was indeed "fact."

The quote:
"The same day Limlight asked me about it on the UO Atlantic forum about it. I jokingly replied that EA gave them to me to preserve history. You know me, I like the jokes. Apparently some people decided that this was not a joke, that the only explanation is that it really happened. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would realize that this comment was a joke. If EA did for some reason give me the museums, wouldn't I keep my mouth shut about it? Wouldn't EA themselves tell me that I can't tell anyone that it happened? It is extremely obvious that this was a joke."
-From the original poster

It appears that much of the community, including myself (I do not know you, nor the person from the other thread) believed what you had said to indeed be fact. It's troubling that you did not clear up that mishap right away. You let people run with it.

You would have avoided yourself a geat deal of trouble had you simply told the truth.

I don't know you, I don't hate you, but I will call them like I see them.

A

AmanitaMuscaria

When I came across this quote (I have not yet read any replies to this thread), I did not take it as a joke myself.

Why would it be funny to say that EA gave you the towers to preserve? I do have some common sense (I like to think more than an ouunce) AND a sense of humor................ I fail to see the sense OR humor in saying that EA transfered the houses to you, and then not immediately clearing up the joke, when you saw pleople begin to take it seriosuly. You simply let these people continue to reply under the impression that what you said was indeed "fact."

The quote:
"The same day Limlight asked me about it on the UO Atlantic forum about it. I jokingly replied that EA gave them to me to preserve history. You know me, I like the jokes. Apparently some people decided that this was not a joke, that the only explanation is that it really happened. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would realize that this comment was a joke. If EA did for some reason give me the museums, wouldn't I keep my mouth shut about it? Wouldn't EA themselves tell me that I can't tell anyone that it happened? It is extremely obvious that this was a joke."
-From the original poster

It appears that much of the community, including myself (I do not know you, nor the person from the other thread) believed what you had said to indeed be fact. It's troubling that you did not clear up that mishap right away. You let people run with it.

You would have avoided yourself a geat deal of trouble had you simply told the truth.

I don't know you, I don't hate you, but I will call them like I see them.
I couldn't agree more. I didn't know it was a "joke"; there were no indications it was meant to taken as anything but in his initial posts -- no winking smiley faces, no "j/k," nothing at all. People may have "ran with it," but boy did he ever let them -- and then amped it up ten notches with the "fake" website and screenshot.

I never expected it would swell into something like this, but I'm glad that everyone was able to go along for the ride. We'll be better prepared for the next "practical joke" next time around.

The point to take away from all this, folks, is: be careful what you say. We all have to take responsibility for our own actions.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
A personal opinion here, these views do not reflect those of Stratics or managment...

This whole drama was whipped up, stirred and treated like a joke. I am not surprised it is viewed as a joke by many. History is what it is. The future is what it will be. *shrugs* It is just pixels we lease.

NB-Cats

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I figured JC had access to the accounts (although he denied it last year).

Personally I think JC was in the wrong for misleading everyone but Xanthars post really made me not care anyone.

Thanks for the good read.

U

UltimaSword

I am sorry to have to say this because I have always respected what you have posted before, but I am amazed that you are so vengeful, for whatever the reason, that you would wish some of Atlantic's history would be deleted just to fill your need for vengeance. :(
I am going to have to agree. You seem to be very angry. For whatever reason. If a piece of history will be preserved that is good. I support JC as long as he is keeping it in good standing.

L

Limlight

Well, I enjoyed the detailed description of all that went down JC.

There are several things I want to say...good and bad.

First with the Bad.

Bad - As a a complete unbias party (having no affiliation with HOT and no knowledge of you and your personality) I asked you a question.
You answered as follows:
1. You answered with a joke that EA gave you them.
2. Your next comment was they were empty.
Which I knew to be a lie...so I called you on it.
3. I didnt follow you to the Rares forum..but obviously some did...which made you post a fake auction...
Then you made it worse..by ending the auction and saying "unwanted attention" ..not "fake auction"
4. Then you decided to say "there is nothing you can do about it"
Which was an obvious attempt to lead people on.

I would have NEVER accused you had you not lied...jokes I can take....but when you made the post about "it doesnt matter...the towers are empty anyway"...you hit my sour note...which is for liars.

So after my mind thinks you a liar....you then make a fake auction...which I never knew was fake. I didnt even look at the prices.

Bottom line JC. Your humor was in poor taste...as I told you on the HOT forums. The bottom line JC...I am not in the monority here...you have had TONS of people telling you your jokes on this were in bad taste...so to continue to dodge blame and "poo poo" it is stupid.

Now with the Good.

I applaud you for finally stepping to the plate and explaining what happened. I am sorry that your character came into question. I can honestly tell you I was coming at you because I felt you lied and I hate liars. As I said...I love jokes...but I knew nothing of the previous auction and I knew the Tower wasnt empty.

I am equally sorry that it rose to the level that it did.

Bottom line JC. I apologize that it got to the level that it did.

I however do not condone the level of carlessness that you approached the matter with.

Seeing how I was the first one to approach you on the matter...a simple explanation could have stopped this whole thing. I would have never answered questions thrown my way from various Atlantic members.
Unfortunetly, I only told them what I knew...and I knew very little as all you did was joke and make fun of the situation.

I have seen some of your joke topics (the fake moongate...the joke about new rules to be in HOT) and I found them hilarious. But you must realize that when you throw jokes around as carelessly as you do...that you need to realize the situation within which you are throwing them.

So, in conclusion...I apologize if you felt I was attacking you out of hatred or malice. My attack on you was completely based on your jokes, unfortunetly I mistook one of them for a lie. My attacks are never baseless...I had good reason for my attacks...and you have simmered them and I will now cease on the matter.

See you in the field!

P.S. Black Rain:
Limlight.

I'm in HOT... and now that Links set the record straight; I'm waiting for you to let us all know how your foot tasted.
My foot didnt have any taste as I didnt stick my foot in my own mouth...Link did. While I backed away from Link...you sir...are still completely clueless.

P.S.S. From the other thread telling me you cant cast GOL on yourself..and run through privately set doors on a public thread...

Yes you can...try it.

M

MYUO

I applaud you for finally stepping to the plate and explaining what happened. I am sorry that your character came into question. I can honestly tell you I was coming at you because I felt you lied and I hate liars...

I am equally sorry that it rose to the level that it did.

Bottom line JC. I apologize that it got to the level that it did.

I however do not condone the level of carlessness that you approached the matter with.

So, in conclusion...I apologize if you felt I was attacking you out of hatred or malice. My attack on you was completely based on your jokes, unfortunetly I mistook one of them for a lie. My attacks are never baseless...I had good reason for my attacks...and you have simmered them and I will now cease on the matter.

See you in the field!

An impressive show of good character.
Now for JC Builder, don't you think it is time for you to step up and appologize for your inapproperite joke (it could be as serious as publicly spread false info regarding EA's action) and the negative consequency it brought to the uo community. Players respect your contribution to UO but will respect your character if you admit your mistake.
There are always trash somewhere, in game and in rl. Don't lower yourself to their level.

M

Misanthrope/Blot

I agree.

JC should apologize for spreading disinformation.

smip

Slightly Crazed
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
. . . I am going to attempt to contact Xanthar and hopefully he will put his oppinion here to end this issue. As I said, I hope all the stuff gets deleted. Wintermoor is no more and never will be. . .
I don't want it to be deleted. I have seen so much of Atlantic history deleted so far. Ravendale and other player run towns that they held so many events from. I got in game married in ravendale and still have to this day my wedding band that was special made by the GM's.

What I DON'T want to see is the history be taken advantage of. I have seen over the years about how Xanthar gave permission for this or that to this or that person and when it came down to the nitty gritty, the stories were not true. The picture that JC shows is not even a house on Ice Island where Wintermoor was. Sad to say that Wintermoor is gone. It has been gone for a very long time. I fought tooth and nail when the banning happened. I fought to help get some items back that were lost.. to include MY server births that I donated to him along with other rares that I gave him.

It tugs at my heart strings to see something be taken advantage of. I can never get back my items I know that. I also know that Xanthar kept a log of the items that were donated to the museum after alot of the old stuff was gone. I'll bet you will never see who donated what now... will you? That was also a HUGE part of Xanthars museum.

Once Xanthar left, I started to play on what was once called AOL Legends. It's not even exclusively for AOL users any more. Things change. Things will change. JC did a no no. I am surprized that he didn't know better.

As the museum changed over hands items WERE being sold off slowly but surly. On top of the matter where items were finally confinscated because the GM blessed homes were no longer being treated as Atlantics history.

I DO feel that the items should have been confinscated and the homes no longer blessed for the reasons stated above. JC put himself in the position that he is in now. Why should he be treated any different than any other person or paying customer in the game. Rules are put in place for a reason. If they are broken... then the person who breaks the rules needs to deal with the consaquenses of their actions.

I'm sorry that I seem cold about this matter. I have spent months and months years ago trying to help save Wintermoor. When I saw MY items that I donate there go bye bye, and the other items that were donated there go bye bye, that's when I relized that Wintermoor was no more. We need to get over it and move on. No one should have special treatment if they screw up in the game. I'm sorry if you don't agree with me, but that's how I feel.

One soultion would be for JC to transfer those accounts to someone else. Any bad marks get erased. But make sure that he uses the transfer account stuff that is put in place. This MAY keep the last two Wintermoor towers in place. If JC wants that history to stay there... then that would be the answer... Let's see what he does..........:next:

Correction... the picture was not a Wintermoor house... it was only a place where items were stored... Val has always had a bad rep.. I know that. So after reading the post again and again.. I stand corrected so far on that matter... that was a storage house.

Another correction:

The account that held the Keep was never suspended or banned. The Keep itself was empty and decayed days after being taken by EA. EA has never given an explanation why the rares were taken away.
These were museum pieces that WERE in a house that was GM blessed. Why are these peices not in the Wintermoor Museums? Whey are they in someone "private" (or public but blocked off) house? If they were Wintermoors stuff and it was not on display like it was supposed to be as per agreement when the houses were blessed.. then the GM had all the rights to take the stuff. It was not where it was supposed to be. It was in a privately owned house and not the GM blessed one.

I was not sure of the grandfathered status on the accounts so I emailed Xanthar for details. When the towers were greatly worn I reactivated them on August 5th. The next morning they were In Danger of Collapsing. To be safe I transferred them to my other accounts. I simply logged in and transferred them.
Once a house is transfered it looses it's grandfathered status. Everyone knew that, that had granfathered houses.

I jokingly replied that EA gave them to me to preserve history.
Anyone KNOWS that claiming favors or acting like they are part of the (then OSI) now EA team... if done in game THAT ALONE can get your account perma banned.

The problem is there are people who outright hate me with every bone in their body. I have no idea why some people are like this, they just are. They took the joke and ran with it. Starting topics after topic, post after post how EA is giving me special treatment. This has been going on for a long time but recently it has reached levels of absurdity that are too high to measure. There are literally two dozen or more people who act this way towards me. I don't understand it and don't really care to. But it seems they were able to turn a simple house transfer into an all out assault on myself.
Folks that ACT like they are special and get special treatment from the EA team deserve the heat that they bring on themselves.

I can go on and on. JC does not deserve to hold a peice of Atlantics history. He is not responsible enough for the job. I would rather keep that history in my mind and in pics of special events that happened there. I'd rather see it deleted than to be in the hands of someone that is very immature and irresponsible.

I was in HOT for a couple of years. They are a VERY politacal type of guild that does do allot of shard wide events. Most of HOT's members are very good folks. But when I left HOT my sister, daughter, son and a few friends followed me out of the guild. HOT memebers like (was gonna name a few but I'll put innitials instead) BR, FXY and a few others made our lives MISSERISIBLE!!!! To the point where we accually moved shards to Lake Austin where my Mahsee and Mahmining (main chars from Atlantic) live now in peace.

The rest of his comments about a "conspiery" is one of that guild's tactics. But that's not what this is about... it's about the Museums.... IF they are to continue, they should be put in the hands of someone that is responsible enough to handle a great deal of Atlantics history and wealth. JC nor HOT is the responsible type in my eyes.

You say I seem vengeful??? Not vengeful but concerned about supposed EA special treatment that was SUPPOSEDLY a joke.. then the url that is NOT supposed to be in game and my other dealings with the guild back then (several years ago) that drove me away from Atlantic just because I wanted to start my own guild.. they endlessly surrounded my house and we NEVER had any peace.. I kid you not.. to the point where a GM accually got involved and several HOT mememers did finally get suspended.. but still they hounded me and my family and friends to the point where we had to move off of the shard that my main was born on... Vengeful??? no. Hurt??? yes. But it all stems down to the maturation of the folks that hold Atlantics history in their hands. They... or he does not deserve it.

I pray that they CAN find someone that is mature enough to take on the responsibility of holding that kind of history. Xanthar was one of the HUGE parts of Atlantic history.. and it's being taken advantage of.

Oh.. and yes.. I would like the server births and rares back that I donated to Wintermoor... but THAT will never happen.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thing is, the quote that this all came from wasn't even here on Stratics. The only reason we here even knew about it is because particular people who have been hounding him for ages now decided to bring it over here and walk with it.

It's been an interesting ride, but it was, at its base, resultant from a smear attack by a vocal minority.

T

Thangorodrim

Thing is, the quote that this all came from wasn't even here on Stratics. The only reason we here even knew about it is because particular people who have been hounding him for ages now decided to bring it over here and walk with it.

It's been an interesting ride, but it was, at its base, resultant from a smear attack by a vocal minority.
It was brought here precisely because instead of saying that Xanthar gave him the accounts he explicitly stated that he convinced EA to give him the towers. Not only did he at each subsequent opportunity reinforce that impression, he actively promulgated it with the bogus auction, etc.

It would be entirely appropriate, had EA had given the towers to JC, for someone to bring it to the attention of the larger community - here.

So, at its base it is not a smear, rather it is 100% attributable to the words and actions of JC.

Had he answered honestly instead of trolling, it likely would have ended immediately.

Please stop painting him as a victim when he is in fact the perpetrator.

Its done. JC has terminated his little game and we should move on.

A

Aboo

I don't want it to be deleted. . . . . I'm sorry that I seem cold about this matter. I have spent months and months years ago trying to help save Wintermoor. When I saw MY items that I donate there go bye bye, and the other items that were donated there go bye bye, that's when I relized that Wintermoor was no more. We need to get over it and move on. . . .
I know nothing about this situation other than what I have read here and I don't think that what you read here really tells you anything either. Probably there are 2 people who know EXACTLY what happened, Xanthar and JC, and that's it.

However, I just can't imagine ANYONE, no matter their feelings, wanting a part of the history of your shard to be deliberately gone. I hope there is a way to peacefully resolve this situation.

R

RavenWinterHawk

I know nothing about this situation other than what I have read here and I don't think that what you read here really tells you anything either. Probably there are 2 people who know EXACTLY what happened, Xanthar and JC, and that's it.

However, I just can't imagine ANYONE, no matter their feelings, wanting a part of the history of your shard to be deliberately gone. I hope there is a way to peacefully resolve this situation.
There is.
Devs step in and make a cool demolished home of wintermoor theme.
Place and lock down all the items in question.

It becomes a perma piece of history that symbolizes what was and what fell.

J

jack flash

people hate you?

simple

you are either RAFMAN, or you are guilded with, or work with, or play with or affiliated with....................

answer complete

also, what happened to him,now the idocs changes are in place?

banned at last?

M

MYUO

A comment in general: in the future, Mythtic should consider making all blessed houses including the items inside permanent public establishment, owned by no one (or All UO Players), just like Lord British Castle. Once the owner of the establishment has received donation from players and blessing from GM, the property should become public property.

I won't say this whole thing is caused solely by envy and ego, although they sure played a big part in it. Acquiring unique items is fun and self-satisfying. But keep in mind there are thousands of different "true rares" in game. Getting so attached with them is utterly pointless at least.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
JC, I think you know it was probably wrong to mess with people this way. It sounds like you were fed up, but I think you got more than you bargained for by teasing them.
The only people I have been "messing" with are the ones we kicked out of our guild a few weeks ago. Their harassment has been literally non-stop. When they took up the "crusade" claiming I had gotten EA to give me tons of free stuff, it was just another method of getting back at our guild. I tried to explain it to them but they wouldn't believe it. So I just ignored them and towards the end helped them along a bit with a fake rares auction.

There was nothing wrong with getting back at them.

General reply: People who are still going on how I was irresponsible for not clearing this up have clearly not seen my reply the day after this whole thing broke out a week ago.
JC the Builder said:
The only precedent set here is by you for ignorance and spite.

About 1 year ago the person in charge of the Wintermoor Museums and Collection made a grave error in judgment and associated with a bad person. As soon as I learned of this I contacted Xanthar, the owner. As I was explaining to him the situation EA stepped in and seized the entire rare collection. They never gave a reason and refuse to return it. In light of the situation the care of the museum accounts were transferred to me. I refreshed the accounts a couple days ago by transferring the towers.

So you see, all your speculation and conspiracy theories are for not. For some reason you think there is a lot to be gained but there isn't. Your little group's rage and angst caused you to take a joke comment and run with it. I bet the emails you sent in complaining to EA are hilarious. Good job making a giant fool out of yourselves.
The group that opposes me then continued to pick apart my statement, concluding that I had intentionally left stuff out like EA taking over the towers. Instead of just asking me to clarify something, they wrote a whole tirade how I was receiving special treatment and then hiding in a question whether what they just said was the case.

I didn't leave anything out, I just didn't feel like writing creating an entire topic like this which would have been required to explain a situation which didn't exist in the first place.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was brought here precisely because instead of saying that Xanthar gave him the accounts he explicitly stated that he convinced EA to give him the towers. Not only did he at each subsequent opportunity reinforce that impression, he actively promulgated it with the bogus auction, etc.
"Explicitly" indicates that in posting that response that it wasn't a sarcastic response to the people who had already started bashing him for it. You make it sound like he opened a thread in which he just revealed to the world "Hey, EA gave me some houses." If you had read the original thread, you'd see -- and be able to discern for yourself -- that it was a sarcastic response.
It would be entirely appropriate, had EA had given the towers to JC, for someone to bring it to the attention of the larger community - here.
No, not really, considering the people who DID bring it here, and their overall intentions.
So, at its base it is not a smear, rather it is 100% attributable to the words and actions of JC.
In the words of Robin Williams, "Wrong *bzzzt* thanks for playing."
Had he answered honestly instead of trolling, it likely would have ended immediately.
No, not it wouldn't have. What you fail to understand is that he and his guild have been harrassed for months, and this was just the latest iteration of that. They weren't planning on going anywhere. They were planning on dragging his name through the mud as much as they could.
Please stop painting him as a victim when he is in fact the perpetrator.
Please stop painting the people responsible for starting the whole situation as somehow innocent of any blame here. The perpetrator? Why? Because someone didn't get to pick up a house full of rares that weren't there? I mean, someone claims to have walked inside the place and seen rares that by all other accounts were taken by EA.
Its done. JC has terminated his little game and we should move on.
We should, but we should also learn lessons from it. No, JC's not without blame in how it all fell out, but then, you know, if people who were concerned took the time to ask to get the full story, all the pieces to the puzzle were available.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If he wants to "joke" about EA giving him the stuff, then make a "joke" auction where he sells it all, then he has no one to blame when people think he's up to no good.

"Come on officer, sure I confessed, but you should have been able to tell I was doing it ironically! And my DNA is only at the murder scene because I thought it would be hilarious to throw some of my hair and skin cells onto the corpse! CAN'T YOU GUYS TAKE A JOKE?!"

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
also, what happened to him,now the idocs changes are in place?

banned at last?
He has hardly been playing UO for the past year or longer. It is quite astounding to have such a reputation that people still talk about you so long after.
RavenWinterHawk said:
There is.
Devs step in and make a cool demolished home of wintermoor theme.
Place and lock down all the items in question.

It becomes a perma piece of history that symbolizes what was and what fell.
During discussions with EA I was told the items are in a "safe place". I doubt this is the case. If they ever wanted to do such a thing it would be ironic to have to ask us what was there. Oh, and the museums are currently filled with 95% my own items so I would like to get them out first. Thanks.
Misanthrope/Blot said:
I agree.

JC should apologize for spreading disinformation.
Lets see, a bunch of people run around claiming EA gave me free stuff. That's A-OK. I make an effort to explain to them that it isn't true and then ignore them, and that warrants me the medal of disinformation? :coco:

T

Tom Bombadil

This situation is what happens when people stick their nose in other peoples business. I read the post where Limlight asked about the towers and most intellegent people could derive the response was made in jest.

Come on people, show a little common sense. No wonder EA doesnt respond to anyones claims anymore. If the OP suspected something was wrong they should have email EA since we all know this is not the appropriate place for these concerns to be addressed.

I'm not defending JC, just commenting on the mobs ability to take a small matter and completely blow it out of proportion. Anyone who bought into this is just plain dumb.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
MYUO said:
Now for JC Builder, don't you think it is time for you to step up and appologize for your inapproperite joke (it could be as serious as publicly spread false info regarding EA's action) and the negative consequency it brought to the uo community. Players respect your contribution to UO but will respect your character if you admit your mistake.
There are always trash somewhere, in game and in rl. Don't lower yourself to their level.
I didn't make this joke, they did. I made a sarcastic comment to what I thought was an individual who would understand it was. His comment even hinted to me that he did understand that it was a joke, so I thought that was that. The next thing I know there are topics on Stratics. In the topic the original comment was made there was no indication that a situation like this would arise. It was the standard back and forth joke replies, then everyone got back to the main subject for the next 3 pages.

I should probably also explain that I didn't get much personal communications about this issue. I didn't get a private message or ICQ asking if this was a joke or not until it was all over Stratics. The people claiming to have "interrogated" me about this situation are 100% lying. Everyone I did speak with about this in the beginning said it was a good joke.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here you go:

I never wanted any of this. I just wanted to keep a couple of towers from collapsing by transferring them. What is wrong with that? I will be glad if this topic is the end of it.
why did u make a fake auction to incite people? you wanted it, man... you just got more than you can chew.
It's called a Canary Trap.... Read some Tom Clancy.

You leak a fake story (With slightly different details in each copy) to different people. when the supposedly confidential story finds its way public, you look for the tell-tales that will identify exactly who the leaker is.

In JC's case, he didn't have the chance to leak more than one copy before things went down, so he ran with it.....

I rarely agree with JC, personally; but he's also been the target of a lot of straw man and ad hominem attacks, and that kind of crap ticks me off, from having to deal with people who did the same to me on a forum that is completely unrelated to MMOs, because I had facts on my side there and their ideas were completely non-supported (the only reason why people resort to those methods in the first place - after all, what can one do when one is arguing against fact?).

H

Harb

Basara, I don't know if it's worth a lot, but I'd also like to thank and acknowledge the Stratics Staff for the manner in which this has been handled. Several of you have been involved, and professionalism, analysis, judgement and decision making has been universally outstanding without exception. Great work.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Limlight said:
2. Your next comment was they were empty.
Which I knew to be a lie...so I called you on it.
They are empty as far as I am concerned. Virtually the entire collection was stolen by OSI without explination. All that is left behind is a couple unmovable items. Almost anything of value you see inside now was placed by me. What you saw was added by me last year right after I took over the accounts in an attempt to spruce up the place. This was all explained last year on Stratics which I hoped to link to, but apparently none of those topics were recovered. So it was my word against everyone else's and that wasn't good enough.

Limlight said:
3. I didnt follow you to the Rares forum..but obviously some did...which made you post a fake auction...
Then you made it worse..by ending the auction and saying "unwanted attention" ..not "fake auction"
The auction was created on August 17th, nearly a week after this started and 2 days before it ended. This garbage had already been going on far too long and I wanted to just end it as quickly as possible. The auction clearly did that.
Limlight said:
4. Then you decided to say "there is nothing you can do about it"
Which was an obvious attempt to lead people on.
Really, who could do anything about this situation? Only EA could step in and declare the towers as being legally transferred. So it was an appropriate comment to say no one could do anything about it. How you took those words and attached the meaning was up to you.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Whether the intent was a personal attack on JC or not, the people deserve to know if EA supposedly favored an individual player. That is where I became involved in this topic. That was was attracted me. It seems that the properties were already in JC's hands and that their was no game-master action involved in the transfer. So apparently that issue is put to rest.

-The rest of this is my opinion, all of which has been gathered by following these threads. If you don't want to read it, stop now, you have been warned.-

I still have more questions. Did Xanthar transfer the houses to two seperate accounts that JC owns?, or did he simply give that account in whole to JC? If he transfered them one at a time, the grandfathered status was gone at that point. If he gave the whole account to JC, and JC let the houses lapse into decay status, then the grandfathered status would be lost at that point.

If, and it is a big IF............. If JC was transfered a grandfathered account, and he:

1. Let the grandfathered houses grow into decay status- That is very irresponsible and a shame.

2.Moved the supposed "blessed" rares out of the house into one of his "personal" houses, and claimed that "the houses were empty," that would be considered a lie I believe, and of course a shame. (This is in the case that this actually happened, which I am not yet sure).

3. Intended on converting the towers into customizable plots ("for decoration purposes"), then he must not be very concerned about the perservation of these historical places. (This was put into question by his own poll on teh Atlantic forums. I do however honor the fact that he DID ask the community after all, but the fact he would even CONSIDER that, seems to not keep the best interests of preserving these properties in mind).

How do people overlook these possibilities, or at least not acknowlege them?

What do I want? I want to see these properties restored to their original state, and be granted for the use for the entire shard of Atlantic. If JC can withstand that responsibility, then so be it and more power to him.

But honestly, they are HIS houses now, he is free to do with them as he wishes. However, to claim that his intent is to preserve the houses, and CONSIDER changing them to customizable plots seems to contradict his own statements.

I am one who would most certainly understand the scrutiny that JC would have to go through as the GM of HOT (true or false). Whenever you have a large guid thats has a firm player base, attacks will fly in from all directions.

You are talking to a founding member of the GRI guild on Catskills, the largest inter-player alliance by far on the shard of Catskills. We have been attacked on astronomical levels. :p

Several of our upstanding members, our current guildmaster and myself have all been victims of "hate attacks."

The idea that JC, a proven respectable member of our UO community, would go out of his way, to "bate" former members of his guild, protesters and haters, sounds very immature for the GM one of our game's largest and most respected guilds. Why would he be wasting his time on dealing with folk removed from HOT?

Why post a fake auction? I know he posted is reasons but seriously, he is the GM of one of the largest guilds in the game, not some 1yr pvp vet with no morals. He should be "above" revenge.

I am still formulating my opinion. We shall we what the thread entails.

Zuckuss

GoodGuy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i believe builder. seems like one big ****ed up situation but EA shouldnt come in and touch old rares and remove them from the game. Thats history, and they are destorying it.

MolaRom

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Zuckass, you are correct, sir. I have had these same questions and concerns but didn't know how to formulate them...

But:

-Why would he let the towers go to the IDOC status and almost fall if he had the account all along... that just doesn't add up!!!

-Why would he just recently start posting topics on the RARES forum asking how to price items found in the towers, like the basket that doesn't open... one would assume that he only recently acquired these locations/items and is now trying to determine the worth.

-Why would he stoke the fire with the fake auction and website and USE the ACTUAL HOT website to host it, leaving no doubt that it was he who intended it to be viewed and talked about.

The issue is still very mysterious in its nature and we have JC's response: that it's merely a JOKE and that we should forget about it based on that resposne, but it's still far from clarified.

And, at the least, you should apologize to your guild, JC, for linking the HOT name (with the fake website) to this mess! an apology to us, the community ,would be nice also

A

Aboo

A better question is why are we still talking about this? JC has answered that the towers were legally transferred without interference or help from EA or GMs. Why can't we let it go and move on in peace??????

H

Harb

A better question is why are we still talking about this? JC has answered that the towers were legally transferred without interference or help from EA or GMs. Why can't we let it go and move on in peace??????
Here here!

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, everyone really should let it go...

Even if you don't believe JC, for whatever reason, you can't prove it one way or the other.

-Galen's player

J

jack flash

He has hardly been playing UO for the past year or longer. It is quite astounding to have such a reputation that people still talk about you so long after.

with his scripts and cheats he upset ALOT of players on ALL shards, seems funny that he hardly plays......................hm idoc changes means the scripts don't work, how bizzare

anyway, you cleared that up for a europa player, you are not him, i don't "hate" you anymore:thumbsup:

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
-Why would he let the towers go to the IDOC status and almost fall if he had the account all along... that just doesn't add up!!!
Yeah, yeah it does. He's already explained that he was playing the decay time to save money on the account. And who can blame him? It's not like it was an account filled with stuff.
-Why would he stoke the fire with the fake auction and website and USE the ACTUAL HOT website to host it, leaving no doubt that it was he who intended it to be viewed and talked about.
Uh... because then there would be no doubt that it was he who posted it, and given that he's provided the text that was used for the auction itself from a post that's what a year or more old, he's also provided the evidence necessary to show it's just what he said it was.
The issue is still very mysterious in its nature and we have JC's response: that it's merely a JOKE and that we should forget about it based on that resposne, but it's still far from clarified.
The issue is not at all mysterious, and is quite clarified. You, like certain other folks, just want to keep casting doubt and shadow as long as you can, but in the end, it's all smoke and mirrors.
And, at the least, you should apologize to your guild, JC, for linking the HOT name (with the fake website) to this mess! an apology to us, the community ,would be nice also
He doesn't need to apologize to anyone for anything. If you were truly interested in the truth, you'd do like I and other people did, sit down, look at the facts, make comparisons, gather information, and ask people -- like JC himself -- for more information on a personal level (ie, not out here spouting on a board).

But I somehow suspect you're not looking to see this issue clarified...

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not only that, but two EA reps have clarified that EA sure didn't do anything either.

But despite all of the information, I'm certain we'll continue to see a certain handful of people who are the source of this campaign continue to attempt to obfuscate the issue.

MolaRom

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me turn the tables here, why have all you Stratics postings been in topics about and against me?

The same goes for AmanitaMuscaria.
I can post about whatever I want, JC. I only registered to inquire about this situation, as I'm mainly a "lurker."

Anyway, we will just have to leave it at that -- you've told your "story" and you're trying to save face after being exposed for someone who has a long history of making fake posts/events just to incite drama to create mass confusion. You just got off more than you can chew on this one, bud.

And are you implying that I am this Amanita fellow or that we simply both registered to speak about this topic? I'm confused...

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And are you implying that I am this Amanita fellow or that we simply both registered to speak about this topic? I'm confused...
He doesn't need to imply it. Even to the casual observer, that much is evident.

It's awefully convenient, isn't it, that "lurkers" just so happen to pop in specifically for this discussion...

And... what are you confused about? According to you...
I only registered to inquire about this situation[...]

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lurkers are lurkers for a variety of reasons. Most of the time they start posting because of a big event, such as an expansion or a game change. Why would anyone feel strongly enough to register just to post negative comments about someone who transferred a couple of towers? How did this situation compel you to start posting? It didn't, you obviously have another reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.