• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The One and Only Pre-UOR Thread! Update -- 3 Polls of Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Arg, I was just going to start another topic and I see 2 of mine have been bumped. I will wait until tomorrow I suppose.

1000th Reply!

G

I am bumping this thread so it doesn't get archived. There will be new Pre-UOR updates coming soon. There may also be a second rally at the end of May. Maybe.

G

I wonder what Richard Garriott thinks of this game now?

Pre AOS shard ftw O RLY?

S

Sir Graham

<blockquote><hr>

I am bumping this thread so it doesn't get archived. There will be new Pre-UOR updates coming soon. There may also be a second rally at the end of May. Maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be there!!

K

kennykilleduo

Didnt find this anywhere and not sure its active..

To: ORIGIN &amp; Electronic Arts
On behalf of the Original Ultima Online community, this petition's purpose is to kindly ask ORIGIN and Electronic Arts to bring back our game, as it was in 1997. We feel it was a far superior game to the current game you are hosting. We hope, with enough support, to get back our game we so dearly miss, as the other MMORPG's in the market don't even compare to the fun we and excitement we experienced in classic UO. It would bring back together many old friends and rivalries, and would gain ORIGIN and Electronic Arts many MANY more customers, no doubt.

Sincerely,

http://www.petitiononline.com/bbuo/petition.html

M

macuo

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ] Probably the same thing he thought of when asked about it a billion times over the past six or seven years.

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ] Probably the same thing he thought of when asked about it a billion times over the past six or seven years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any interveiw I have ever read , Has at least 2 question about UO in it , he must get sick of that..

U

uk_crafter

<blockquote><hr>

rtlfc

Holy crap, it's been a year.

How can they be so blind?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its already been stated by Darkscribe that a classic preUOR shard would be impossible because not everyone can agree on which period and what content to remain!

I don't think you can get anymore official than that, so why keep flogging a very very DEAD horse.

IBTL

J

James Shardwin

I would like to say, as a player who started out on UO back in the second age, I can tell you that no other age has been able to compare to when I started. As UO has gone on, is has experienced a gradual decline in quality. It has lost much of its original charm and excitement it once held. And, with each expansion, this decline has worsened, driving away many players and costing UO large sums of money in lost subscripton fees. And, the game has suffered a severe wound to its on line community. Many of Britannia's cities are now ghost towns, many of the games skills are now useless, and PvP is now a joke. All of these problems resulted from the Age of Shadows. Before AOS, before Reniassance, UO was an amazing game. Even though it was only a 2d game, its game play, content and systems were matched by none. There was a healthy mix of crafters, PvPers, PvMers and everything elese in between. Now the lands are seperated, the peoples scattered, and much of UOs old spirit have been lost in a sea if item dependency, artifacts and so many other mistakes that can only be correct with one course of action, taking UO back to its roots and origins by making classic servers and reviving Ultima Online.

J

James Shardwin

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

rtlfc

[/ QUOTE ]

Its already been stated by Darkscribe that a classic preUOR shard would be impossible because not everyone can agree on which period and what content to remain!

I don't think you can get anymore official than that, so why keep flogging a very very DEAD horse.

IBTL

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh please, thats just some garbage dished out by Darkscribe so they dont have to go groveling to Garriott to get the original server data to make classic servers. Well I say, Go and grovel. Beg Garriott to save UO. It is his creation, he should be incharge of it. Why doents EA just sell UO and everything Ultima back to Garriott? That would solve many problems.

N

NunuSpider

<blockquote><hr>

IBTL

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Fifty-one pages later they're going to lock it.

What a toolshed.

J

James Shardwin

The fact that a thread about classic servers reaches 51 pages should be telling the developers something.

M

macuo

<blockquote><hr>

Any interveiw I have ever read , Has at least 2 question about UO in it , he must get sick of that..

[/ QUOTE ] He probably gets sick of trying to come up with different ways of saying "failed social experiment"
(I actually think that was the best summary he ever made).

I wonder how much it bugs him, how everything came down, to the point where UO2 was cancelled and OSI eventually dissolved. In all of these interviews, you can tell he doesn't want to talk about UO. A lot of people would be like "can't you [censored] ever stop asking about Ultima, you think I like the way things turned out and the way I left?"

I know he can be pretty patient while waiting in line for a movie, but dealing with the media asking him the same questions...I'm sure he'll be extremely happy when TR finally rolls out, because then everybody will focus on it (although he's done a lot of work with MMORPGs since UO/UO2, nobody seems to really care because he was a part of a team or in management).

G

bring preren uo and we wil lbe happy....its disgusting there is a thread with over 50 pages and we get a blanket statement by darkscribe that says basically no.....good job guys. wonder why wow is so popular? its actually fun.

M

Mystic_Of_Cats

If anyone listened to that interview Garriott did recently, a huge portion of it was talking about UO and he seemed to willingly discuss the technical aspects and what he would have changed. It was a very good 45min or so interview. Search for it...

And yes, Darkscribe and the others obviously don't know how to use that mellon God gave them to think a Pre-Ren shard isn't worth the time and money... You think after so many requests that it might mean something. They must like being the laughing stock of the MMO world.

"UO, once great game, now a total shame"

Great job EA!!!

U

uk_crafter

<blockquote><hr>

Yeah. Fifty-one pages later they're going to lock it.

What a toolshed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bumping VERY old threads is frowned apon and most likely to get locked. The continuation of this threads subject is a bit like 99% of your posts - a waste of good storage space!

G

<blockquote><hr>

The fact that a thread about classic servers reaches 51 pages should be telling the developers something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it tells them the same seven to ten posters have a LOT of free time on their hands.

There are portions of things in UO that honestly never needed to be redone (the way weapons and resists were done, basically). I will agree with that.

Basically, the would have to code everything separately for each publish from then on... even more than Siege. And right now its obvious they don't have the time/ money/ manpower to essentially assist on a whole other game.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ugh.

I guess it is time for a Logic lesson, again.

OK...first let's take this statement:

<blockquote><hr>

bring preren uo and we wil lbe happy

[/ QUOTE ]

OK...so...let's take a look at Pre Ren, as opposed to todays' UO:

1. You could kill anyone anywhere. There was NOTHING to stop you from guilding a new player to "Our Side"...and then kill them and dry loot them.

2. Thieves were EVERYWHERE. Leg Humpers abounded, and you couldn't go to a bank without getting snooped, unless you took massive precautions.

3. There was no where else to go...if you didn't like PvP or Thieving, you had few choices.

I could go on, but there really is no purpose.

Now...this Gem:

<blockquote><hr>

....its disgusting there is a thread with over 50 pages and we get a blanket statement by darkscribe that says basically no.....good job guys. wonder why wow is so popular? its actually fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now...go back up and read what I posted above...carefully.

Now...compare todays' WoW to UO Pre-Ren...then come back and present your compelling argument as to exactly what makes WoW so fun, as opposed to what made Pre-Ren so fun.

As to the 50 pages...lol.

40 people wouldn't pay for a shard. I feel compelled to throw that in. But that is about how many unique posters you have here, excluding of course the extra accounts created at Stratics to bolster the number of supporters, etc.

Go look HARD at WoW...(HINTS: NO Looting of Opponents...No Thieving (that I am aware of)...No Guilding a player, then killing them...NONE of the things you folks say "Made UO Great!!"...and yet...they have...like 43 TIMES our subscription levels...hmmmmm.

So...the Graphics?

If we gave Trammel and Fel WoW graphics...do you really think that, at the same time, we bring back the rampant PKing and Looting and Thieving that WAS Pre-UO:R, that the Graphics would get us millions, given the game play experience?

See...I don't. Neither do the Execs at Blizzard.

Otherwise, WoW would HAVE that gameplay.

HINT: Non-Consensual PvP, ala Pre Ren, doesn't appeal to all that many people.

Look how many YEARS it has taken Darkfall to get to Beta...oh...IS DFO to Beta yet? My bad...

That's what I thought...

Look at Eve Online...lit has literally taken YEARS to hit the 100K Subscriber mark.

Completely Non-Consensual PvP is NOT a big draw, folks. No matter how many times you say it, it is NOT something MOST people will pay money each month to participate in.

It is a very niche market. And, based on the number crunchers view of it at EA, and WoW, for that matter, (who...by the way...do have all the most pertinent data to make their decisions from), it is not a viable enterprise, at this time.

I could quote Wilki for you, but you folks know all that.

Blind persistence, based on conjecture, is fun to watch though.

Please...don't stop on my account...

K

Korso

1. Any plans to change or get rid of insurance or maybe even bring something in where everyone has their items blessed?
Darkscribe: No. With all the planning we are doing for so many different things, changing the insurance system is pretty far down the list. If you don’t like insurance, please play on Siege or Mugen. There are plenty of folks there waiting to take your stuff.

Wow, Talk about a freakin loser. Reading that just pissed me off. I can really give a rats ass about this game now. Thats the problem with people today, so narrow minded.

D

dum3886

I seriously would like 2 restart UO like even in the state it is just2 give it a chance... but i dun really see the point anymore...
Half the skills r useless... smithing/tailor etc... everyone uses all these wierd magical weapons now so gm stuff pretty much useless... there r hundreds of dupped items worth like 15 million... like WTH 15 million when i played 15 million was like crazy!!! now 15 million buys wat... a duped item...
As you can see there r bugs galore!! and this game has just become another diablo 2 with their special attack and wielding 2 weapons at once or sumthing... necros, paladin... so what are the new ppl suppost to do when they go in... kill earth elements in despite which give u i presume 300 gold still? which is like nothing now adays.... what does "young" in uo now except fall more and more into the poverty group who are too poor 2 pvp now because every uses weapons which you can't even buy.no thanks i'd rather not waste my time.

If i am wrong i'd appreciate any comments such as what a "young" does .

angelus aconitum

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I cancelled two accounts yesterday and I will cancel my last account next week when I have cleaned my house and got the good stuff to the bank. Right now this game suck like hell and it is absolutely no fun to play it.

There were some good changes with the grafics, when they brought back the old ghoul grafics and that, but this is not enough, lol.

I will come back if EA opens a classic shard !

J

JAss

Surgeries your trammy-logic doesnt apply to real UO.
Keep your observations, "conjectures" in your trammel world.
Real players of real UO page down over all your posts sissy-girl anyhow.

Your ruler,
JAss

G

GenericUOPlayer

<blockquote><hr>

Surgeries your trammy-logic doesnt apply to real UO.
Keep your observations, "conjectures" in your trammel world.
Real players of real UO page down over all your posts sissy-girl anyhow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I quit with right before UO:R but if people like you inhabited a pre-Ren server, count me out.

The majority of people I see nowadays screaming "Trammie" never played pre-Renaissance, nor have any idea what it was like. Unfortunately a pre-Ren server would be huge gank fests killing newbies. I realized long ago the only people we had to blame for the Trammel patch were the grifers and the pks themselves. I agreed with stats loss because pking was such a profitable industry and there needed to be a balance. Before that, there was no danger to being red.

Even with stats loss, a lot of the people didn't get it. Rather then PvP with guild wars or order/chaos they would purposely inhabit spots littered with newer players who would be no challenge. Ie: Britain Graveyard, Deciet's Bone Knight wall, etc.

As much as I would love a pre-Ren server, they should of done that ages ago back in early 2000 when the Trammel patch was introduced. Siege was, and is a joke, and they introduced more shards then they have players. Now that the population has plummeted since the joke that was Age of Shadows they probably cannot commit the resources to building a pre-Ren shard. They are plenty of PRS to fill that nicht anyway.

To reiditerate, the only people we have to blame for UO:R are the pkers who felt it was fun to attack and kill helpless newbies. I used to blame people who didn't want danger, etc but it was really just that 14 year old kid screaming "STFU TRAMMIE" to some new player in ringmail fighting an orc before he did an exp/eb combo on him.

Or the new warrior at the Brit GY decked out with his cape, orc helm and bone armor that was fighting a skeleton before 5 7x GM tank mages swooped in and para/exp/eb him to death and take his 30gp. Those are the people we should blame who ruined UO. Either way, the "good" period of UO was late '97-early 00, so the post-Ren days are the majority now.

In my mind '99 UO was the best as stats loss really helped balance things out. Before then, and you can see this on PRS, it was gangs of roving reds picking out easy targets, people that couldn't PvP if they wanted to. That's why the real ones were in Order/Chaos, guild wars, etc.

G

GenericUOPlayer

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

When UO:R was proposed and the devs posted on CoB boards I can remember numerous screams about the changes they implemented. There was a huge petition set-up that was actually hand-updated for a pre-Ren shard. They should of done it then rather then waste resources on Siege, and other small pointless shards like AOL Legends.

K

kennykilleduo

Was there a 2006 rally , if not lets plan one...Stinks all the Links are dead for polls , guess gotta start new ones..

S

Sir Graham

As far as I know there wasn't one, or at least I didn't hear about it. JC the Builder said something before May this year that he was thinking of doing another rally, but it didnt happen I think.

If there was another rally, count me in.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Was there a 2006 rally , if not lets plan one...Stinks all the Links are dead for polls , guess gotta start new ones..

[/ QUOTE ]
There is still plenty of time left for a 2006 rally. If someone wants to start planning one I will glady lend assistence, but I cannot handle putting on one myself at the moment.

I

imported_Pinky

You all should just get together on a Pre-UOR player run shard. Would be much more fun then always begging for one all these years.

Nice Sig! Iron Maiden rocks!

G

I think a test shard should be put up to see how many people actually will play it.

http://www.petitiononline.com/bbuo/petition.html

According to this, 516 people signed this petition so far. If we were charged 19.99 a mth to play(I would pay it) Ea would make $10,314.84 a mth on top of what they are already making so far.

JUst give the people what they want!

Status
Not open for further replies.