• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The facts and figures ... 95-GM lockpick in Twisted Weald

G

*BUMP*

Shamelessly bumped back to the front page as there were a couple of posts asking about the method etc. Dont usually bump posts but thought it might help a couple of posters.

Craftsman

G

<blockquote><hr>

RPTLFC

Howdy, just wanted to relay that as of right now, this "Twisted Wield" method is being considered a "Bug" at this time, much like the "Mage Wand." When we get a deffinate answer on this, I shall let you all know. So, please do not think that this is a legal way to gain skills, nor do not think it is an illegal way, for we have not gotten a deffinate answer yet. So just as a word of warning, at anytime they can deem this an illegal exploit, so use it at your own risk!

Safe travels &amp; Mother Sosaria Bless,
~Orvago, Druid of Mother Sosaria

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I believe this falls under "crafty use of game mechanics" much like 8x8ing was. Although I am saddened to see a great skill diminish, I don't think the "Powers that be" should modify this. Pets are taken there as well to attack and battle Satyrs' knowing that they will be discorded and will recieve increased gains.
Satyrs' attack and when they do they discord. The fact that you can gain well of them when that happens is just a benefit of choosing that creature to train against!

I hope soon to pick back up the FAQ and get back to work editting it...I would like to see an explaination of this technique be allow to be in that document!

TW

G

I wholeheartedly agree TimberWolf.

Like I said earlier ... I think EA have more important things on their agenda than a few people training up the last 5 points of lockpick.

Craftsman

G

Bumped for the benefit of XXXVendor ..... all you need to know 95-GM the quick and easy way....

Craftsman

C

cgeorgemo

RTLFC

I got from 0-GM lockpicking in 3 days of on and off playing with my new treasure hunter.
I bought the skill up to 32.
I then realized that I didn't have any low level locked boxes and my tinkerer is at 96.2 so I needed to find some low level boxes. Ended up using the create a new account code from the 8th Age to make a tinker with 25 and another with 50 skill. I used their boxes until 75ish skill then switched over to some of the 96 level boxes. I completely stopped gaining from the boxes at 92.5 so I decided to try the Twisted Weald method.

A piece of advice I have for anyone trying this method is to slaughter the Shadow Wisp near the entrance as the Satyr's seem to provoke them more often than the pixies. If you do get something provoked onto you you will have to kill it when you come back through the sparkles as it stays provoked.

I went through a bunch of lockpicks I'd say about 600 or so. (I'd have loved to have some middle 70 boxes) I gained consistently off of the second Satyr once I brought a pack Llama with some picks on it along on the trip.

(Somebody thought it would be fun to provoke my Satyr onto a Cu Sidhe Paragon at 98.8 so I returned the favor and provoked a swoop onto the same Cu Sidhe and that was the end of their little EV at the swoops party.)

After he left I finished out the last 1.2 on 2 other Satyrs because of variuos EV related Satyr deaths.

This is my second time rasing this skill and it is much easier since they brought in the TW.

H

Hawthorne

Now that the anti-macro code has been removed in 'theory' you should be able to gain off of just one box --anyone know if this is actually the case? Anyone tried training it w/ just one box?

G

Yes and you get ok gains...but for some unknown reasons I found gains went faster when I macroed 20 different boxes once, as opposed to 1 box 20 times.

But yes I am sure you can go from 30-95 with 1 box of 50 skill, 1 box of 70 skill, and one box of 90 skill. It just may take a little longer!
TW

G

Yup, TW is right, you can GM with 1 box of each type.

I myself cycled through 20 boxes for one simple reason ... Im a creature of habit and thats the way you did it in my day godammit!

Craftsman

C

Cerebus

Well, I tried this for the last 2 days. Being as my tinker is GM, and I couldnt find a tinker with 70 skill, I just used 1 GM box. I started my training at 95.2. In 3 visits, I used 454 lockpicks on the one box, and I got to 99 lockpicking this morning. Yes, I agree with a lot of people that this is a cheap way to GM this use to be very hard skill, but I do much prefer it to dungeon crawling since this is a toon Im trying to knock out just as fast as I can. Glad I can mine a lot and make lots of lockpicks, heh.

**EDIT** So I went back in yesterday, and got to 99.9 with around 220 lockpicks. I wanted to try and get that last point in a dungeon, just to do it for myself. Ya....after 3 hours of running between dungeons and such, I gave up and went back to the satyr. First try with it gave me my last point, so Im GM lockpicker now. I just dont feel great about it.

I

imported_TheGhostRaider

Here my story about LP. I have to retrain since I lost it. I buy it to 30. use box make with 33.3 thinker. that brough my skill LP to 90 using satyr trick. after I hit a house with box at 75 thinker, brough me to 95, I create a new thiker with 50 thinker, make boxes and hit the satyr again. I'm now at 99.2 ( need to chnage it to Gm now) Not bad for a guy that lost is Gm skill 4 day ago. Thx lot for the trick.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okey this sounds like an really awesome and easy way to gain LP but what about a guy like who dont have ML? =(
Is there any shortcuts if i dont have ML? im stuck at 96.9 didnt even get my ggs yesterday.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

G

Only two ways if you don't have ML yet. First would be to just keep plugging away at the dungeon chests. Second would be to just wait a few more weeks and get the 9th anny box at the end of the month (should have ML in it).

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah Desperado im gonna get 9th aniversary last october!

Im just afraid that the "exploit" might be fixed by then.
Thanks for you answer though, it saved me a lot of headace.

K

kettlewhistle78

About the Discord thing:

Now, if I were to stone LP onto my Stealther, go in and get discoed then hide, would the disco stay with me while I stealthed by the Satyr? So long as I kept him on the screen, the disco would stay whether I was hidden or not, correct?

dialtone

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my experience, two days ago, I lost Disco, quickly, after drinking an Invis Pot. I was still close, but I didn't move at all. was only disco'd for a few to several seconds.

Miss Chiff

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just did this recently and I used 10 GM tinker boxes from 96 skill to GM.
It took about 40 minutes and 350 picks.

It went a lot faster than the lock and pick method. It helps to have a buddy with extra picks and to run for some more when you're low.

Oh and to add in, don't invis yourself! Stay visable to the saytr!

P

PhazedReality

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can a Bard Player with Discordance do the same thing as the Satyr? For example, a guild member with discordance disco my lockpicker while unlocking chests? Just was wondering...I am a new player (used to play back in the late 90s) and don't fully understand where or how to get to these new lands...Thanks for any replies!!

G

No you cannot discord other players...but you can discord guild mates pets

T

TGCid

Where is the Twisted Weald at? I just came back to UO after a long break, so I have no idea where anything is (did get the 9th Anniversary though).

G

North of Spitituality gate in Ilshner you will find a cave enterance covered in vines. The sparkly inside will take you to Twisted Weald.

You will need to get the quest form a person in heartwood first. Calador is his name I believe. It is the Dread Horn quest you seek!

Good luck

XIIxOveR

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Been slowly gaining on my new tmapper on LS using the oldschool method but decided that I'd rather be solo'ing level 5's and 6's rather than solo'ing level 3 and 4 dungeon chests!
So yesterday I decided to try TW.

My mule on LS was started from an Advanced Character token so my tinkering is 85 even. I went ahead and bought 31 carpentry in Luna and made myself 15 chests and a key ring (standard setup). I was at 96.3 LP when I started, the discord dropped me to about 79.2. Since I was training on boxes from an 85 skill tinker I didn't break a single lockpick but it took me about 3 hours to GM from 96.3. It may have been a better balance if my tinkering was about 90 or so but I'm not going to complain about 3 hours!!!

I got lucky, got it all done off 2 Satyrs (a nice tamer thought it would be a good idea to kill my first one because, well - I don't know why other than to be a d!$#). I died twice trying to get disco'd on the second one because I was on dial-up from &lt;ahem&gt; work...

FYI for anyone who's interested, you can make a new mule char, buy 30 tink and 30 carp and make boxes that will take you all the way up to 60-70 plus in LP within a few, determined hours. Start a new char with 50 LP and it doesn;t take long at all!

Long story short, I hope TW training doesn't go away! Wish I had the same luck with TW-based tailoring but that's a discussion for a different forum :p

B

booglerz

Just gm'ed Lockpicking at TW, I used the method mentioned most here first (lvl 70 box) not many broken picks, but slooowww gains. I then switched to a GM box (which was stated a lil bit up in the thread) and the gians were awesome, took maybe a hour (was kinda slow with it, died a few times) I never opened the chest (gains all were from fails) so the macro just had to be "last object, last target" easy as pie, broke probably 500 ish picks, but well worth it.

At first I didn't get any gains of the GM box, but if you wait it out, you gain like mad (and you break a lot of picks!)

booglerz

B

Baldguy

I have noted repeatedly that multiple boxes are being used. Having just gotten to 95 Lp myself, I can say that you only need two boxes. A 35 tinker skill box will get you to 75 LP. A GM Tinker box will take you the rest of the way. Hopefully this info helps! I used 568 total lockpicks to gain to 95.

V

vorius

Wait, how long did it take you to reach 95 using lockpicking houses?

And whats the deal with Satyr's - they don't kill you? They just discord you and that's it?

G

I can do it in one long day.......using just a couple boxes...say one at 70 skill and one at GM....one at 90 is nice but not necessary.

V

vorius

<blockquote><hr>

I can do it in one long day.......using just a couple boxes...say one at 70 skill and one at GM....one at 90 is nice but not necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you get your fresh Lockpicker char, maybe 50 skill, and go right for the 70 tinkerer skill boxes? all the way up to 95? then you do with gm boxes with this discord trick?

G

yes at 50 skill I pick a single box made by a carp with 70 tinkering....over and over...then when I hit 70 I go to the GM boxes ( 90 skill boxes will save you a few lock picks)...all the way to 95. Then off to Twisted!

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Took a couple of sessions for me but worked like a charm using 85ish tinker locked boxes. It took a couple of trys to figure out how to agro and when to drop the confusion blast. You have to be careful because provo'd monsters may still be out of range for peace and will sneak up on you when you think it's safe. The hardest part was staying close to someone who enjoys luring you into changelings.

G

Ok, i have some 70, 85 and 100 boxes

the gm boxes are too tough after I get disco

but i am getting nothing even close to the gains you got.

I am more like .3 per hour.

Sigh

Atlantic server

J

Jewel Lockheart

i am going to have to try that ..since i have been trying to do my lockpicker for the past forever to get to gm. thanks for the info

A

Avalonia

If you are not worried about breaking lock picks you can just use the same gm lockbox over and over...you will never open it but you will gain from failures. This seemed to work better than the 72 boxes for me.

A

Avalonia

<blockquote><hr>

Well, I tried this for the last 2 days. Being as my tinker is GM, and I couldnt find a tinker with 70 skill, I just used 1 GM box. I started my training at 95.2. In 3 visits, I used 454 lockpicks on the one box, and I got to 99 lockpicking this morning. Yes, I agree with a lot of people that this is a cheap way to GM this use to be very hard skill, but I do much prefer it to dungeon crawling since this is a toon Im trying to knock out just as fast as I can. Glad I can mine a lot and make lots of lockpicks, heh.

**EDIT** So I went back in yesterday, and got to 99.9 with around 220 lockpicks. I wanted to try and get that last point in a dungeon, just to do it for myself. Ya....after 3 hours of running between dungeons and such, I gave up and went back to the satyr. First try with it gave me my last point, so Im GM lockpicker now. I just dont feel great about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got 95-96 in a dungeon on static box that i macroed. I like the idea of using just one box that is gm. If you are not worried about destroying lock picks then this method is fast because you never even need to relock the box because you won't be opening it.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow! My original 95-100 lockpicking made it over from the old stratics site. I thought this one was gone forever. I feel quite nostalgic. rolleyes:

Crafty