• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The facts and figures ... 95-GM lockpick in Twisted Weald

G

I decided to start a new character last week and started with 50 lockpicking. It didnt take too long to get to 95 using a lockpicking house, cycling through 20 locked boxes.

From 95-GM I decided to document my progress in twisted weald...

Went in with 20 locked boxes made at 70 tinkering skill. GM boxes are no good as with your disorded skill means too many broken picks and failures. Boxes made at 70 tinkering skill will GM you.

Already had a UOA macro set up to pick box 1, lock box 1, pick box 2, lock box 2 etc etc.

I had timed my macro and it ran for around 46 seconds, picking 20 boxes so this equates to around 25 boxes per minute.

Attacked a Satyr just inside the weald and got discorded. Lockpick dropped from 95.0 to 69.8 ... a 25.2 decrease. Exited the weald to lose aggro then straight back in and stood next to the Satyr.

Started the UOA macro to pick the boxes. Gains were as follows ...

95.0 - 96.0 17 minutes 425 boxes picked
96.0 - 97.0 27 minutes 675 boxes picked
97.0 - 98.0 32 minutes 800 boxes picked
98.0 - 99.0 20 minutes 500 boxes picked
99.0 - GM 34 minutes 850 boxes picked

Total time from 95.0 to GM in Twisted Weald 2 hours 10 minutes.

Total boxes picked 3250 which equates to .1 gain every 65 boxes picked.

Did I feel as if i'd cheated? ... a little... but considering I GM'd lockpicking on another character the hard way a few years back I didnt feel too bad about it second time round
I do feel kind of sad that it can now be done this way but im not going to look a gift horse in the mouth ..

Thought this little guide might be helpful to anyone wondering how long this method would take.

Oh, and the embarrasing part was when I first entered the weald forgetting that this fairly new character had done a couple of steals and therefore had ever so slightly negative karma. Got immediately smacked around and dirt napped off a paragon pixie. Quick rez, killed a couple of nasties to get karma up, then back in again ..

Special thanks to PHLiNX for loaning me the boxes.

Craftsman

R

Rifle

Looks really good I'll have to give it a try once I get up to 95 at TW's

P

PHLiNX

Thx for sharing your results with us. One question still remains. How many lockpicks did you break?

I'm asking cause TW seemed to break far less lockpicks then before pub39.

G

Total number of lockpicks broken = Zero

The boxes made at 70 tinkering work a treat.

Craftsman

G

Slightly on topic ......I just picked 40- lvl 5 paragon chests.
I broke 127 picks...approx 3 per chest.
So it doesn't seem that my "pick breakage" is broken, just the breakage average during picking lp boxes seems effected.

T

Trukx

Validated:

I did the same thing just because I couldnt believe it and I wanted a hunter on my secondary acct too. New char w/ 50 picking.

Using THB House on GL....took 6.5 hrs from 50 to 95. (since people were asking, I never broke a pick)
95-100 at satyrs took a shade over 3 hrs and 2 deaths from changlings, so total time to GM this skill now by powering thru is less than 10 hours.

G

and by getting the quest in heartwood!
and I can't believe you didn't know that!
LOL

P

PHLiNX

WTF

Aye, it's a breeze. Have been doing the last 5 points of my lockpicker again (yes, i dropped it by 5 points to try myself) in Twisted Weald.
Very easy. I think it didn't even take me 3 hours with 20 boxes of 80 tinkeringskill. I have to admit it were 2 sessions because some moron thought it was fun to kill all satyrs when he knew i used them for training.

I

imported_Sarphus

Thanks for documenting the actual numbers for training in this method. When I did this method I wasn't really concerned with the numbers. I just basically got myself to GM LP asap and then told everyone how to do it
I don't feel the slightest bit bad about using this method to train LP because LP is a needlessly repetitive and slow skill to train.

I think that skills shouldn't be designed to be so stressing to train.

G

3 Hours PHLiNX !!! Slowcoach

Does that mean that I am the current world record holder from 95 - GM at 2 hours 10 minutes

Craftsman

P

PHLiNX

Thx mate
. I think it's closer to 2.5 hours. From 95-97 was the slowest. From 97-gm took me about an hour i think.

B

bimby

Hello there. I lost my boxes and was looking for someone who could make the 70ish boxes on chessy? I am also having issues making it work? I went to where I thought twisted was and attacked one and he discorded me and I ran out but when I came back in he was still attacking me and killed me and took my boxes. maybe I am at the wrong place. any info would be great. Thanks so much.

G

Was he physically still attacking you, or was it a creature that he provoked onto you? If the latter, then what you have to do is either kill that creature or Invis yourself. The latter is also why most of use suggest using Invisibily of sorts instead of running out the sparkles and back in. The provoked creature(s) will still attack you when you renter, but he should not.

He didn't for me anyway, and I did that method alot. I just had to kill or invis myself when he provoked something on me.

G

invis pots are great and require no skill if magery lvl is an issue

G

As a final post on this one, and so no one gets the wrong idea, can I just for the record point out that I take no great pleasure in this achievment (if you can call it an achievment).

My first GM lockpick was done the hard way ... that was an achievment. this however is just a quirk of the latest publish and I hope it gets changed back to being a skill that you have to work at .. all skills should be that way.

Craftsman

demortred

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe I'm missing something.. but when I get disco'd it's only for about 3-5 seconds.. Are you agroing it in a rock where it cant get you?

G

His discord will last for as long as you keep him on screen with you. You can't run from him. You must invis, or peace, or confuse him to break his aggression to you. You then just have to keep him on screen with you, and you will stay discorded. Keep an invis spell ready for when someone lures a changling past.
Good Luck!
TW

P

PHLiNX

Aye, invis, a confusion pot or peace work. I used the idea The Craftsman described: after you got discorded ran through the gate to break agro, and come right back into the Weald to keep you discorded.

demortred

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh, cool thanks much guys.. Guess I shouldn't have tried it with a paragon first lol.. ran way too fast :p so I kept bailing out thinking i could do it outside in the cave

F

Felerian[AoM]

Did GM Lp on a newbie char this night, second th after an very old one on eu, took about 3,5 hours, even got a visit from craftsmen himself. And to optimize satyr use a, if you dont find a 70 tinker, just get a gm tinker discorded ^^

G

Heh ... yes that was indeed my peace tamer in twisted weald last night. Sorry if i slowed down yours gains during our chat.

Glad to see you hit GM safely ... there was a couple of changelings not far off screen from you and those things can mess up your plan real quick.

Craftsman

P

pjmatt

Ok having a big problem......got discorded a few times but all i have successfully done is got my but kicked....can you guys be a little more specific...am i doing somethng wrong? Attack and run or attack and invis right....then stay in eyesight and get to pickin....not havin any luck.

by the way if you are on atlantic and you stumble over skeletons dont worry they are all mine until i figure this out.

P

PHLiNX

Ok, one last time

Attack a satyr - stay out of it's melee range - when it has discorded you: ran through the gate to break aggro - go back right into the Weald and stay close to the satyr that discorded you - start lockpicking.

If you're still having trouble: re-read this thread thoroughly!

Good luck!

G

Yep. It really is as simple as PHLiNX put it.

Run back through the sparkle then back in again and voila.

You havent got negative karma have you ? If so the pixies will kick your a$$.

Craftsman

S

slaves

Sorry this might seem like a really stupid question... but when you are making the boxes does it matter what carpentry is or just tinkering? Because I have an old char with 85 tinker but 0 carp but I can buy enough carpentry skill to make boxes (like 35 carp). Thanks in advance!

-slaves

G

<blockquote><hr>

That will do Slaves

[/ QUOTE ]

Just read your reply before reading back up the thread.

I was thinking...damn Phlinx is being ****y...calling all these people "slaves"
ROFLMAO
That will teach me to read a thread backwards!
TW

demortred

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just did this last night with box's made with 89.7 tinkering.. broke about 100 lockpicks before I got to the comfortable level.. then just took me bout an hour and a half.. started at 94.1 lockpicking which reduced me to 69.? at 71.0 it stopped breaking picks.

P

PHLiNX

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

That will do Slaves

[/ QUOTE ]

Just read your reply before reading back up the thread.

I was thinking...damn Phlinx is being ****y...calling all these people "slaves"
ROFLMAO
That will teach me to read a thread backwards!
TW

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL! You just made my day Timber!

D

derealcanuckeh

So I had to make a tinker to the 70s I made him to 74 and it took me from 96.3 to GM 1.5 hours if anyone needs a set of 20 boxes I have them on LS

I

imported_kalzaketh

congrats, wish I had known, this a month or two ago, but my t- hunter is gm rogue, if I ever decide to redo picking I'll be extremely greatfu;lfor the knowledge.

L

LeonJilo

20 boxes on LS shard would be excellent for me if you're willing to part with them. I read through this thread, but I think I'll try raising lockpicking the harder way, and I'll need all the boxes I can get

I

imported_Danny1

You really only need 1 box now. The anti macro code is gone.So one of naything is all you need now

D

derealcanuckeh

yes but a 20 box macro lasts a little longer.

umm ya I still have them just pm me and I'll arrange to get them to ya no problem at all.

G

A 20 box macro or a 100 box macro for that matter lasts no longer than a 1 box macro. You just keep picking the same box with a suitable macro delay in between each attempt. The only consideration is how long you opt to pick/lock for before saving the macro.

Craftsman

D

derealcanuckeh

Sorry Craftsman but my point as I was trying to make was that if you have a 20 box macro you can play that one and while its running walk around following the Sayter and attacking him as required to keep him away from the EVs and such at the swoop farms and not have to keep playing the macro while your doing it as a macro that locks 20 boxes and picks 20 boxes will last longer then a macro that does one box although I know you can just pick and lock one box over and over until you have a macro that would be the same length. We are both right just missing the words each was using to define a point.

I did do a little test with a new char though and found gains more steady with more boxes it would be nice to know if there is an actual difference but not worht peoples time I'm sure but I picked a 20 box macro for about an hour and got 5.6 then made one that was the same length with only 1 box got 4.3 in an hour went back to the 20 ox and got 6.2 like I said hard to know for sure but that seems to make it obvious to me although this game is not the same for everyone. I have 2 mages with virtually the same skills and the same level of med on both of them but my one mage meds more consitantly and quicker then the other.

G

Heh. Not something worth us arguing about for sure

I must admit that I used 20 boxes myself when 1 would probably have done. Old habits die hard !

Craftsman

D

derealcanuckeh

no not meant as an argument at all just a sharing of differing opinions hehe

Your not kidding about old habits I went on a boat to skill magery.
Then I got smart and used a wand in the pits hehe

G

RPTLFC

Howdy, just wanted to relay that as of right now, this "Twisted Wield" method is being considered a "Bug" at this time, much like the "Mage Wand." When we get a deffinate answer on this, I shall let you all know. So, please do not think that this is a legal way to gain skills, nor do not think it is an illegal way, for we have not gotten a deffinate answer yet. So just as a word of warning, at anytime they can deem this an illegal exploit, so use it at your own risk!

Safe travels &amp; Mother Sosaria Bless,
~Orvago, Druid of Mother Sosaria

L

LordGimliOfGL

Dunno if it is illegal or not, but thought i'd add my two cents, it took me about 6 Satyr's as 2 got killed. Three times they got themselves stuck in trees and I was able to prevent them from walking out the way they came so i could stop playing follow the leader. It seemed to take them about 15 minutes to get trapped, however, the two that died it was a bit longer. All in all i went from 92.0 - 100 in a shade under 6 hours. I used 16 - 85 tinker boxes, broke lockpicks like crazy up to 94ish then stopped breaking them. (around 70 LP skill when disco'ed).

G

Howdy,

Aye, as I said it has not been deemed Illegal, nor has it been deemed Legal. Right now, it is undecided by the higher ups at EA. When we do get a deffinate answer on this, I shall let you all know, so just use it at your own risk, knowing that at anytime, it can be deemed Illegal.

Safe travels,
Orvago, Druid of Mother Sosaria

D

derealcanuckeh

yes but if they do deem it bad mojo then they better make it known rather then the dupes that they do nothing about!!!

G

Youd think that EA had more to worry about with the state of UO than a few people training the last 5 points of lockpick. Scripters, Dupers, the state of PVP, the out of control economy to name but a few.

Craftsman

G

That would probably be why they have not given a deffinate answer on this yet. They most likely are too busy with more important things before they can properly test, find the cause, and fix it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

They most likely are too busy with more important things before they can properly test, find the cause, and fix it.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can only hope so. Not for the sake of losing the ability of a quick last +5 but for the sake of fixing the other things.

To be honest I cant see the problem. Mages have been using items that lower magery in order to train the skill up faster for a long long time. They havent fixed that in years so I cant see them being lightning quick in fixing the satyr discord method.

What I cant figure out is why the discord method only works for some skills and not others. Lockpick and Lumberjack (Ive done them both) have been proven but Cartography doesnt work for some reason?

Craftsman

D

derealcanuckeh

Cartography did work for me but none of them have worked to my knowledge since the publish so its back to the drawing board hehe