• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The End of Magery As We Know It?

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can still heal up on what a mage/necro deals out on the run or standing still. Thats why UO gods made Bushido Archers with balanced bows and endless ways to heal and cure. Mystic mages different story I survived 80% of the time. Just have a bow that hurts the mage so he is running away to heal up. Not at you on the offensive. Yummi bows gets a :thumbsup:

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oo

Me likey...this is by the looks of it a good counter against band aids. Will give this a shot...thanks for the *un* nerfing of the standard mage template.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
just tested running and casting EQ with the EC and I stopped each time. Would you care to tell us how you did it, so we can test this properly?!

First, you must be 2/6 casting speed. the First time you cast, you wont beable to move. hold the key down (wither macro) and you can move during the 2nd cast and more untill you run out of mana....

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
first off with all the additions of replicas and new artis for DCI.

anyone who casts any spell has a advantage, get that right to begin with.

if you disagree your not being honest with yourself.
-----------------------------

mellee warriors over the years have lost everything..
too much dmg comin at ya.. people at ea ever think here is perfect example..

evil omen flamestrike....60 sometimes more depends on curse or corpse...and what if they had a pre cast exp... that over 100 dmg count it. in less than 4 seconds. that you CAN NOT resist, dodge, cast a spell to fix.. if you are a warrior... but yet a warrior takes over 19 dmg its like 30% less dmg healed from a banaid and people wanna pancake? those 3 spells gaurentee your loosing 60% aid applied and it takes 4 seconds to go off? by then what else is flying at ya. oh ya mystic stuff, more spells from hell. but lets talk about bandaids right? thats BS.
dmg output for mage vs. warrior in time over time related situation, mage wins every time.

cant use 2 handed weps...too much dmg comin at ya..

banaids increased to 4 seconds even if you are able to get 200 stamina.....when they changed that, that bothered me i now that where they were was crazy but not 4 sec plus with the dmg modifier for points healed loss..

concussion...useless less you can get like 5 off but oh ya got to be able to hit, but mages now have healing stone and cleansing winds, confidence stuff like that..plus 9345345 defense chance increase..

same with crushing blow...

armor ignore and all the others......

nothing anymore is worth doing cause first off ya got to catch em running around like chickens on using god knows what then even then ya cant hit em.

so whats the point ya know? why not give em more spells like protection, or blood oath, or sleep, or purge.. ya know the things a pure warrior cant do.

a mage should be a mage not a hybrid of a warrior or another spell caster.

C

Cloak&Dagger

first off with all the additions of replicas and new artis for DCI.
This part Doesn't click for me. Are you saying you had a hard time doing this before?

Also...counters to everything else you said. corpse skin have 70 fire. After the initial hit is when you are going to apply any aids, assuming you have the proper Dex you will heal faster than that can happen a second time....Also Evil omen+flamestrike (basically the strongest hit a necro can make) is only 33 damage.

I do not recall them changing the max time to 4 seconds, when did this happen? Not to count this comment wrong, just do not recall it.

As for hitting them, 50% chance isn't good enough? has always been 50% chance...Don't get me wrong I have 4 melee characters 1 archer and a Mage. I am just pointing out the actual facts that You were trying to make.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cloak‡1861436 said:
This part Doesn't click for me. Are you saying you had a hard time doing this before?

Also...counters to everything else you said. corpse skin have 70 fire. After the initial hit is when you are going to apply any aids, assuming you have the proper Dex you will heal faster than that can happen a second time....Also Evil omen+flamestrike (basically the strongest hit a necro can make) is only 33 damage.

I do not recall them changing the max time to 4 seconds, when did this happen? Not to count this comment wrong, just do not recall it.

As for hitting them, 50% chance isn't good enough? has always been 50% chance...Don't get me wrong I have 4 melee characters 1 archer and a Mage. I am just pointing out the actual facts that You were trying to make.
Omen FS takes a total of 2.50 second to cast, and at 70 resist it hits for under 35 damage, which cost a tons more to cast than dexers can AI. Regardless while I dont agree the seemly biased arguments Six is making, if a dexer (melee and archer) played right, should never ever die to any mage 1v1. I played pretty much every templates out there and before imbuing I was pretty much pure mage player. Only mages in UO that has the damage capability on par with dexers are the ones that can cast spell plague. pure old school mage today is PATHETIC, and pretty much only played during a pure mage duel which IMO means NOTHING on the field where real PvP happens.

2ndly he was refering to dexers used to be able to "machine gun" bandaging at 2 second a pop. They changed/nerfed/balanced it to a 4 second cap. Seems like he wants his 2 second bandaid back... at 120 healing/anatomy, you are looking at 60 hp healed once every other second that can be used on a full run without stopping at all.

Dexers/Archers were the gods at that time. I wont even mention those machine gun archers and WoD instant kill everything moving archer... also chain evasion that used to make samurais effectively god mode unless they are disarmed.

IMO, the 2 sec bandaid is changed for good reason, and as a main dexer player now I dont see how you should have any issue against any mage. :confused:

Maybe he thinks that the 2 sec heal and machine gun swinging speed and WoD 1 hit kill dexers should all come back so its "balanced". Maybe it's just me but I really dont see how it was fair back then. Please dont get me wrong mages had their time. I loved 5/6 daggering mage era... and classic hally mage era which mages pretty much dominated UO... however if bandaid is to heal at the old speed, then all mages should also get 5/6 casting again just so it's "fair".

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can we please get back on the topic of why the devs want to unbalance PvP to the point where nobody will playing anything but a running wither spamming character? We tested these types of characters on test shard, and if this goes live I guarantee they will dominate anyone and everything.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can we please get back on the topic of why the devs want to unbalance PvP to the point where nobody will playing anything but a running wither spamming character? We tested these types of characters on test shard, and if this goes live I guarantee they will dominate anyone and everything.
1. They don't want to do anything of the kind. They have said that they are trying to fix a bug. It's on test center while they gather constructive feedback.
2. The place to post this constructive feedback is in the test center forum.

Exaggerated hystrionics and distortion of the facts simply destroys the credibility of the person posting it.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
That was pretty good there, 'eh? I will step in here while the Boss takes care of important stuff.

It is just test center... Report what you find.

I

ikaikaman

Agree with Ls Jax Ls.Now,PvP,Warriors are too strong.This change is adding insult to injury for mages.I don't feel like constructive feedback so Devs do not have a grasp of The PvP at all.
Well...a few years ago,Death Strike damaged 60 easily, one of Devs who played UO felt " NO WAY" and fixed soon comparatively.Of course Almost PvP player felt the same.
The present,Have Devs like him?I think NO. so do beside the point out of place.
Should play UO,This is only constructive feedback from me to Devs.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. They don't want to do anything of the kind. They have said that they are trying to fix a bug. It's on test center while they gather constructive feedback.

Exaggerated hystrionics and distortion of the facts simply destroys the credibility of the person posting it.
This coming from someone who I guarantee has never even tried to PvP. Have you went on test center and tried, tested, fought with several different templates? No, I bet you haven't. I'm posting by what I know, not by what the joke we call developers tell us. Get a clue Petra.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
This coming from someone who I guarantee has never even tried to PvP. Have you went on test center and tried, tested, fought with several different templates? No, I bet you haven't. I'm posting by what I know, not by what the joke we call developers tell us. Get a clue Petra.
Are you freaking kidding me? Petra has the balls to play Siege. By default that is PvP. Go play Test some more... Figure it out.

Many folks are trying to duplicate what you are laying out. Back off lil dude... Just tell us what you see. Let the real players figure it out.

Personal attacks on the manager of Stratics UO wins you no points.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am not kidding you. Try picking on me! *smiles* That always works.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wtf does any of this have to do with learning to give reliable constructive feedback? I know Petra has always given better and constructive feedback than you whenever possible.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
If any of you folks have useful info, please submit it.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

This ^^^ is what you call constructive? *Looks in dictionary*...nope.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Are you having some difficulty reading that thread Jax? Post your info info in test forum...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will confirm casting on the run with wither. The first cast you are frozen, but running right after holding down the macro key you can wither on the run.

Other than that I have not tested other spells, nor see any evidence of targeted based spells being casted on the run. Though it could be do to different macro setups and use.

To note, the issue with wither is similar after aos release. Back then you could wither on the run, much of this was do to the lack of casting caps and the spell timing.

Elden of Baja

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First.
Scribe + Evil Omen + Flamestrike VS 70 Fire = 38 Damage

Second.
WHO THE HELL DOES ANYTHING WITHOUT CURSING SOMEONE
CURSE + Scribe + Evil Omen + Flamestrike = 50 Damage

An actually useful PVP Necro, All you rely on is evil omen and the occasional Pain Spike.
120 magery
120 Eval
120 Resist
100 Scribe
80 Necro
80 Spirit Speak
100 Med

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know, I was actually excited to see some of the changes coming out in Pub 69. I've been messing around on test shard to try some of it out, only to find that if this patch goes live it will completely destroy magery. Not only can you cast every single mage spell on the run, but timing is no longer needed to cast spells. All you have to do is hold down greater heal until the cursor comes up because you can no longer overcast spells. If this patch goes live, I promise you everyone who plays a mage in PvP will quit. Clean up your act devs or this game is a goner.
Wait, they finally throw mages a bone to counter moving shot archers, and you say everyone who plays a mage will quit? Why would they?

I'd think that people would want to play mages more than other templates.

However, I think it's probably an unintended bug from them trying to fix the magic arrow/nether bolt spam. Seems to be feasible only when used on non-targeting spells. If it's intended for mages to cast while moving (which I actually would like, balanced with say, a 50% miss chance), the devs would make it so that it can be done to targetted spells as well. And they'd probably mention something this major in the TC notes.

Melchior1

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know, I was actually excited to see some of the changes coming out in Pub 69. I've been messing around on test shard to try some of it out, only to find that if this patch goes live it will completely destroy magery. Not only can you cast every single mage spell on the run, but timing is no longer needed to cast spells. All you have to do is hold down greater heal until the cursor comes up because you can no longer overcast spells. If this patch goes live, I promise you everyone who plays a mage in PvP will quit. Clean up your act devs or this game is a goner.
Honestly where have you been for the last 6 years? Magery died when necromancy came out. In my respect and tribute to the once godly scribe mage, I have kept my scribe mage and never ever plan on getting rid of him. Put up a scibe mage to a necro mage and see who wins or outlasts. It's a joke.

Elden of Baja

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
However, I think it's probably an unintended bug from them trying to fix the magic arrow/nether bolt spam.
Obviously you have NO idea what you are talking about.

Let me draw a picture.

Present: If I Chain Magic Arrow/Nether Bolt as fast as I possibly can use Que Target (UoAssist), I will overcast 1 in 4 of the spells, at least, and it won't do any damage.

On TC Right Now: I can Chain Magic Arrow as fast as possible, do 2 more damage per spell, and never over cast.

You think nether bolt magic arrow spam was bad before!?!? Now its SUPER CHARGED

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Obviously you have NO idea what you are talking about.

Let me draw a picture.

Present: If I Chain Magic Arrow/Nether Bolt as fast as I possibly can use Que Target (UoAssist), I will overcast 1 in 4 of the spells, at least, and it won't do any damage.

On TC Right Now: I can Chain Magic Arrow as fast as possible, do 2 more damage per spell, and never over cast.

You think nether bolt magic arrow spam was bad before!?!? Now its SUPER CHARGED
Please read my post again before you do a knee jerk response. I said it was an unintended bug. Which part do I obviously have no idea about? Or are you saying this is intentional?

Anonymoose

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Are you freaking kidding me? Petra has the balls to play Siege. By default that is PvP. Go play Test some more... Figure it out.

Many folks are trying to duplicate what you are laying out. Back off lil dude... Just tell us what you see. Let the real players figure it out.

You know, just because you have a little bold title next to your screen name doesn't mean your own ethos doesn't apply to you. Neither you nor Petra have exactly contributed to this thread with anything constructive. Power trips don't count. Petra's comment was unnecessary and you need not play bodyguard. Let's all just take a deep breath, eh?

It's hard to imagine that this moving wither stuff is intentional, but sadly it just might be. It's not "hysterics" when devs have a history of going live with changes that haven't been fully thought out. I for one would like a little more feedback from developers during times like this when they ask for our input... kinda.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Just because someone plays on Siege does not make them a PvP'er by default! Nor does it afect the size of their tesitcals, though im sure petra has none.

Starting a slagging match off with Stratic UO Users wins you no points

Elden of Baja

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the use of the magic arrow/Nether Bolt Spam TERM, I took you for someone who complains about mysto mages chaining magic arrow and nether bolt.

And from the Original TC notes where they wanted to fix casting a spell, but nothing actually happening(Overcasting magic arrow), that wouldn't actually fix the magic arrow/nether bolt spam. IT would make it more dangerous and usable by a regular mage.

Knee jerk reaction is to Those who think casting magic arrow/nether bolt is OP'ed. Its almost funny.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I said was, the developers are not deliberately wanting to unbalance pvp. That's why it is on test center. If you give them constructive feedback on the unintended affect this change is having, they will adjust. That is why they're testing.

It is not constructive to call the developers names and assume they're trying to destroy something when a change has unexpected consequences.

I just want to see constructive, reasoned discussion instead of vitriolic abuse, accusations, attacks and assumptions.

I

ikaikaman

Devs ignore painful reproach.LOL .My feedback about DH changes is deleted.UOSS consists of members from yes-man.If Devs are going to sweep something under the rug,and response ONLY yes-man,to bigin with,don't need to raise feedback.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Food for thought:
Standard instruction to employees of call centers and help desks when dealing with abusive callers: 'Hang up, you're not paid to listen to abuse'.
Are the EA devs paid to listen to abuse? As far as I am aware the answer to that is 'no'.
Are you saying you can not give negative, but constructive, feedback without resorting to abuse?

By all means give negative feedback where there is a problem. Explain the problem clearly and with examples, but don't be abusive.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the use of the magic arrow/Nether Bolt Spam TERM, I took you for someone who complains about mysto mages chaining magic arrow and nether bolt.

And from the Original TC notes where they wanted to fix casting a spell, but nothing actually happening(Overcasting magic arrow), that wouldn't actually fix the magic arrow/nether bolt spam. IT would make it more dangerous and usable by a regular mage.

Knee jerk reaction is to Those who think casting magic arrow/nether bolt is OP'ed. Its almost funny.
Nope, never complained about it. I would love for mages to be "un-nerfed" as someone else put it. I even mentioned in my post that I wold love for mages to be able to cast while moving.

However, after some testing, that doesn't seem like the case. I will follow up with another post on my findings.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm if you cast magic arrow too fast you will fizzle... I guess that's how its supposed to work. Also overcasting has been there FOREVER, it almost felt weird that you cant overcast now. I dont know how is it gonna affect mage duels... well either way its fine for me. Post AoS mage duels is stupid anyways. With no recover time in between, its whos casting the tiny spells the fastest and the one that get in poison cycle first wins ... which is just a spam-fest very very stupid.

If you've never experienced classic/hally mage era, you should look up some videos on how mages used to duel. Spell choices, combos, timing that "recovery time" in between spell, and while you rearm your hally, you time the weapon swing timer yourself, and hit your enemy the second that your hally reset its timer so no time wasted (because you need to immediately drop it to release ebolt/fs or to cast another spell). THAT's the only true mage duel to me

Oh one thing I really REALLY MISS about the classic UO is if you are a mage you can wear ANYTHING YOU WANT into a fight. My old main PvP outfit was my home-made/NPC brought Straw Hat dyed brown + default white shirt + blue short pants + pair of regular sandals. Sorry I get excited everytime I talk about classic UO and classic mage. Too bad now everyone wears the same arties and leather armor. And make duels are nothing but weaken arrow poison cycling and lighting spam fest... ******** :(

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To start off, my understanding of overcasting.

When you cast a spell, you go into the spell casting sequence (the part where you start waving your arms if unmounted) that takes 0.5 secs to 2.25 secs depending on the spell level. The delay formula is 0.25 sec base, plus additional 0.25 secs for each spell level.

If it's a spell that needs to be targeted, a target cursor comes up after the spell casting sequence above has completed.

If you don't choose a target and cast another spell, that target cursor for the first spell will be automatically canceled when you begin the spell casting sequence for the 2nd spell.

Overcasting - This term normally means that when you hit your spell macros too quickly (for those spells that gives a target cursor), if you don't click/last target your opponent quickly enough once the cursor is up, the client will cancel the targeting cursor and start casting the second spell.

However, some players have also used it to describe a bug where delayed damage spells which are cast too quickly in succession will not do damage on the second cast.

This is easiest to notice if you cast 2 explosion in succession on the same target but also happens if you cast magic arrow followed by another magic arrow (yes magic arrow is a delayed damage spell too, although the delay is short, it's not instant like harm or lightning). The second spell doesn't do any damage.

However, it doesn't happen if you cast 2 different spells in an equally fast succession. Hence why magic arrow + nether bolt works while magic arrow + magic arrow doesn't.

Before reading the dev's reply, I'd thought this was due to balance reasons. After reading that, it seems the devs are saying that the 2nd spell not doing damage is a bug : http://vboards.stratics.com/1861137-post180.html

They seem to have fixed this now. And more.

Besides the above, it looks to me like what they have also done is to reduce the casting sequence delay if you recast before selecting a target. Hence why testers have reported the 1st spell being no different, but the subsequent spells you can cast on the move as long as you keep your macro key pressed.

I am not sure if it's lag, but I still get a small pause (ie what woould have been rubberbanding before they fixed rubberbanding) during the subsequent casts for both targeted spells and non-targeted spells like wither. And it still fizzles once in a while.

Doesn't look like they gave mages a true ability to cast on the move, just extra fast cast if overcasting.

And as to casting wither on the move, not really that OP'd, it's not easy to keep a dodging opponent within your wither AOE. Though I can think of several situations that it can be useful, it's almost as bad as trying to chase someone down using a melee dexer.

Needs further testing.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm if you cast magic arrow too fast you will fizzle... I guess that's how its supposed to work. Also overcasting has been there FOREVER, it almost felt weird that you cant overcast now. I dont know how is it gonna affect mage duels... well either way its fine for me. Post AoS mage duels is stupid anyways. With no recover time in between, its whos casting the tiny spells the fastest and the one that get in poison cycle first wins ... which is just a spam-fest very very stupid.

If you've never experienced classic/hally mage era, you should look up some videos on how mages used to duel. Spell choices, combos, timing that "recovery time" in between spell, and while you rearm your hally, you time the weapon swing timer yourself, and hit your enemy the second that your hally reset its timer so no time wasted (because you need to immediately drop it to release ebolt/fs or to cast another spell). THAT's the only true mage duel to me

Oh one thing I really REALLY MISS about the classic UO is if you are a mage you can wear ANYTHING YOU WANT into a fight. My old main PvP outfit was my home-made/NPC brought Straw Hat dyed brown + default white shirt + blue short pants + pair of regular sandals. Sorry I get excited everytime I talk about classic UO and classic mage. Too bad now everyone wears the same arties and leather armor. And make duels are nothing but weaken arrow poison cycling and lighting spam fest... ******** :(
Fyi, I still fizzled magic arrow during my testing.

Don't forget dirty tricks like precast para + hally.

Yes, I liked my clothing outfit too. Fancy shirt, doublet, long pants, boots. All newbie, no worries if I die. Also newbie regs in a locked box. Keyrings with a maybe a hundred useless keys for thief bait.

BbqLou

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Quit hijacking the thread with your chest thumping. LS is right, what is on the Test center right now is ridiculous, As for what he said "unbalance PvP to the point where nobody will be playing anything but a running wither spamming character? We tested these types of characters on test shard, and if this goes live I guarantee they will dominate anyone and everything." That IS constructive feedback. That is the truth and it's not just wither you can cast on the move, it is every single spell. Why don't you police the posters that keep telling them to "nerf this" "nerf that" and more than likley have not even logged on the Test center to test the current changes.

This is a big deal, I can literally cast greater heal as I am running away and not even stop for a millisecond, was this intended? It would be nice if the devs would address this issue and the wither casting on the run, instead of us having to hear who the real pvper is, the guy who is testing the stuff on the test shard, or someone who plays siege, or random people who haven't pvp'd since AOS complaining about magic reflect not working for there armor.

Anonymoose

Visitor
Stratics Veteran

Quit hijacking the thread with your chest thumping. LS is right, what is on the Test center right now is ridiculous, As for what he said "unbalance PvP to the point where nobody will be playing anything but a running wither spamming character? We tested these types of characters on test shard, and if this goes live I guarantee they will dominate anyone and everything." That IS constructive feedback. That is the truth and it's not just wither you can cast on the move, it is every single spell. Why don't you police the posters that keep telling them to "nerf this" "nerf that" and more than likley have not even logged on the Test center to test the current changes.

This is a big deal, I can literally cast greater heal as I am running away and not even stop for a millisecond, was this intended? It would be nice if the devs would address this issue and the wither casting on the run, instead of us having to hear who the real pvper is, the guy who is testing the stuff on the test shard, or someone who plays siege, or random people who haven't pvp'd since AOS complaining about magic reflect not working for there armor.
:thumbup1:

E

Emosocial

screw archers then?
The last thing they had going for em was moving shot. Now we get mages that can fs on the run.... I am going to quit pvping sit in tram and get rich.
Well you only left tram to play an archer in the first place, obviously. So no loss.

E

Emosocial

anyone who casts any spell has a advantage, get that right to begin with.
That is recent. I took a 4 year break from the game because Archery was so stupidly overpowered.
If you disagre.....wait, ill use your words
if you disagree your not being honest with yourself.
-----------------------------
mellee warriors over the years have lost everything..
too much dmg comin at ya.. people at ea ever think here is perfect example..
This i agree with you. There is no reason to run a melee dexer over an archer. there is no balance there. Archers are just better than any other dexer template.
evil omen flamestrike....60 sometimes more depends on curse or corpse...and what if they had a pre cast exp... that over 100 dmg count it. in less than 4 seconds.
How many people leave themselves cursed, corpsed or plagued ? eat an apple ! everyone carries 2352346 of them for that reason. Riddle me this, why are there no more necro mages in the pvp field any longer ?

that you CAN NOT resist, dodge, cast a spell to fix.. if you are a warrior...
evasion, 50EP heal pot, bandage goes off in 4 seconds. Dont forget to confidence during your evasion so that it gets you up to about half life before you have to pot and the bandage kicks in.

Dont make it seem like you are a sitting duck.

dmg output for mage vs. warrior in time over time related situation, mage wins every time.
what happens when a mage runs out of mana, but you keep swinging your weapon? How do we heal ? how do we do damage ? maybe you need to learn to play ?
cant use 2 handed weps...too much dmg comin at ya..
You ever watch pro sports ? usually you can tell when a team or player has the momentum and is being more aggressive and when the other team is being more defensive.

same for warrior pvp. Aggressive/Momentum ? 2h heavy hitter ? Defensive ? 1h to chug pots and faster attacks to disrupt spell casting? this isn't rocket surgery bub.
banaids increased to 4 seconds even if you are able to get 200 stamina.....when they changed that, that bothered me i now that where they were was crazy but not 4 sec plus with the dmg modifier for points healed loss..
because 2 second bandages were just a.o.k.

See Sixunder, you only whine when its your preferred no skill template thats getting the squeeze. When you have a leg up and are O.P. you dont come on the forums and spread the word that you are currently OP.
concussion...useless less you can get like 5 off but oh ya got to be able to hit, but mages now have healing stone and cleansing winds, confidence stuff like that..plus 9345345 defense chance increase..
What does concussion have to do with healing ? BTW did you know that concussion hits harder if there is a split in HP/Mana of the target that you are hitting? Try it, you may surprise yourself.
same with crushing blow...
Crushing is meant more to crush stam and provide good damage as well. Its not an end all 1hit SCUD kill.
armor ignore and all the others......
really ? I know of a few that do well with disarm/bleed/AI if they time it right. Sounds like user error when you try it.

so whats the point ya know? why not give em more spells like protection, or blood oath, or sleep, or purge.. ya know the things a pure warrior cant do.
You are right. Erase the mage class and make UO a boring as hell dexer only game.

Understand this.

MAGES AND DEXERS ARE DIFFERENT AND HAVE DIFFERENT ABILITIES.

Dexers should be considered the entry level / easy mode class to get basically anyone into pvp

Mages should be considered the advanced class for experienced pvp'ers to showcase their knowledge and ability of the game, timing and multiple skills / macros.

Archers can kill with 3 buttons macro'ed. Ask me how many macro's most mages have set up? 30+ easy.

Savvy?

a mage should be a mage not a hybrid of a warrior or another spell caster.
You mean like mages getting weapon specials nerfed multiple times ? weapon skill min of 90..owait, now you need minimum of 90 tactics..... OWAIT now you CAN'T toggle a special while you are casting !!! You have to work it into your spell rotation messing up your timing..

Its so easy to be a mage. Its a wonder that you don't play one.

;)

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Assuming the magic arrow/nether bolt fix is still in place, that is very good news.
Yep, this patch is great for the already overpowered dexxy temps. By making the changes its back to archer dexxers online...

Why?

1) There were no changes made to spellplay aside from nerfs. Magic reflect is moot considering it doesnt boost defense against dexxers.
2) There have been no adjustments to either casting or SDI for mages. Mages SHOULD have the ability to make bandages fail in pvp...yet currently this is not possible. (especially not with all 70s 180 stam suits.)
3) HLD SHOULD be tied to the weapon that the effect went off on...if you switch weps...it SHOULD be nullified. (considering many archers also have a melee skill...the HLD changes will have absolutely no effect)
4) Before the Bokuto mage was nerfed...spell casting was faster...there was no need to recast a spell three times due to a fizzle to recast it. When people complained...a .5 second duration was added to the casting times of all spells (magery) requiring a player to actually stop...pause...then cast. Remove the damn timer so mages arent sitting ducks so much again.

OH and mages need some wep love too...toss us a one handed -0 mage wep artifact...its frigging time already.

V

Vaelix

4) Before the Bokuto mage was nerfed...spell casting was faster...there was no need to recast a spell three times due to a fizzle to recast it. When people complained...a .5 second duration was added to the casting times of all spells (magery) requiring a player to actually stop...pause...then cast. Remove the damn timer so mages arent sitting ducks so much again.
Is that what they did when they changed the rubber banding, I've always felt like my casting was somehow off and dexxers started completely rocking me after that change.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is that what they did when they changed the rubber banding, I've always felt like my casting was somehow off and dexxers started completely rocking me after that change.
It was like a hard stop... Realistically it makes all casting to take an extra 0.5 to 0.75 second delay. This is why before the change mages can kinda minia heal spam and get around and survive off mini heal only. Now a mini heal with the 0.25 to 0.5 second added delay this literally made mini heal casting time 75% to 100% slower than its previously state, mages now days can no longer survive with mini heal only from dexers (unless the dexer blow of course).

Even DEV commented on the change "might impact fast smaller spells casting negatively" but they did it anyways because to the DEVs to get ride of rubberbanding that existed since the release of UO is more important than keeping mage on par.

I Play UO

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Assuming the magic arrow/nether bolt fix is still in place, that is very good news.
Yep, this patch is great for the already overpowered dexxy temps. By making the changes its back to archer dexxers online...

Why?

1) There were no changes made to spellplay aside from nerfs. Magic reflect is moot considering it doesnt boost defense against dexxers.
2) There have been no adjustments to either casting or SDI for mages. Mages SHOULD have the ability to make bandages fail in pvp...yet currently this is not possible. (especially not with all 70s 180 stam suits.)
3) HLD SHOULD be tied to the weapon that the effect went off on...if you switch weps...it SHOULD be nullified. (considering many archers also have a melee skill...the HLD changes will have absolutely no effect)

OH and mages need some wep love too...toss us a one handed -0 mage wep artifact...its frigging time already.
Magic arrow nether bolt is not needed to fight dexxers. It's a cheap tactic of fighting a mage that took no skill.

Melchior1

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Why?

Man I'm late on this one. please forgive me. Honestly I wish they did make it more i guess even for mages but honestly bro, i get destroyed by a pack of mages and it's not because they are good, it's because they cheat. Same with the over-powered warrior/tamer. I would love to talk trash back but it would fall on deaf ears or someone will say something stupid. If mages are so bad that they have to find outside sources to win, then we all might as well quit now. So many people are in denial and they know what they are doing is wrong and they know they lie when they say they aren't doing it. It's a never ending battle. Why haven't they (devs)fixed fixed how much damage a pet can do to someone. We have the same people claiming that they are the best and they pwn this and that but in all honesty, they didn't kill anything. Their pet did. Can I get an Amen? lol. So yeah maybe if mages get what they want(better offense) and dexxers get what they want(better defense) then all the lies and cheating may stop. I stopped pvping for the simple reason that I didn't stand a chance because it seemed I and a small number were playing by the rules and the others weren't.