• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The End of Magery As We Know It?

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know, I was actually excited to see some of the changes coming out in Pub 69. I've been messing around on test shard to try some of it out, only to find that if this patch goes live it will completely destroy magery. Not only can you cast every single mage spell on the run, but timing is no longer needed to cast spells. All you have to do is hold down greater heal until the cursor comes up because you can no longer overcast spells. If this patch goes live, I promise you everyone who plays a mage in PvP will quit. Clean up your act devs or this game is a goner.

B

Babble

Not really sure how accurate testcenter is
Just noticed that the polymorph spell runs out after 2 minutes and that change is a few years old
:p

Xalan Dementia

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
tc changes aint set in stone so hopefully you can make a bug report about it as well to ensure the devs catch it. kinda sounds like how, under certain circumstances, gargys can cast and move already (which ive reported but no action yet)

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the friggin sky is falling

again.

Look, mages have griped for years that they were stationary targets while trying to do any ole damn thing. Whats the skinny Minny?

That said, I have NOT looked at this at all yet, so that is something that will have to take time over the weekend. Crap.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the friggin sky is falling

again.

Look, mages have griped for years that they were stationary targets while trying to do any ole damn thing. Whats the skinny Minny?

That said, I have NOT looked at this at all yet, so that is something that will have to take time over the weekend. Crap.

Thanks for the heads up though.
If you don't PvP you wouldn't understand what this means.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know, I was actually excited to see some of the changes coming out in Pub 69. I've been messing around on test shard to try some of it out, only to find that if this patch goes live it will completely destroy magery. Not only can you cast every single mage spell on the run, but timing is no longer needed to cast spells. All you have to do is hold down greater heal until the cursor comes up because you can no longer overcast spells. If this patch goes live, I promise you everyone who plays a mage in PvP will quit. Clean up your act devs or this game is a goner.

So a person who ADMITS they cheat is asking the devs for something? LOL. You are seriously sick if you think they will list to your opinion.

Besides, since we know you run "that program" any data you have is invalid since you dont play the game the way that you should . Pots chug scripts, cast scrpts heal bots ...with all that running how the hell do you expect someone to try and look at the data you present.

Dont even bother to try the old "yea I run it for skill gains and farming but not in PvP" garbage. Derp..

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So a person who ADMITS they cheat is asking the devs for something? LOL. You are seriously sick if you think they will list to your opinion.

Besides, since we know you run "that program" any data you have is invalid since you dont play the game the way that you should . Pots chug scripts, cast scrpts heal bots ...with all that running how the hell do you expect someone to try and look at the data you present.

Dont even bother to try the old "yea I run it for skill gains and farming but not in PvP" garbage. Derp..
Hey man be more delusional. My scripts gather resources and make me money...I do all the PvP'ing. :cool:

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you saying that I can cast explosion while moving and not stop to cast? Or are you saying that since there is no over casting there is no rubber banding so you don't have to time your movement and casting?

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am saying you can spam wither until you run out of mana without stopping, along with earthquake. You can spam other spells while moving, but i'm not sure if there's a way to target fast enough. Regardless, you can cast it while moving at least once which is just stupid.

S

Smokin

Maybe because you have to know how to do it?
Well is it an exploit or are you using the EC or CC cause in CC I made a macro last spell wait for target target self. I will try a non target thing like wither and EQ now.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just tested running and casting EQ with the EC and I stopped each time. Would you care to tell us how you did it, so we can test this properly?!

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well in the EC you can't hold down keys, but if you cast exactly in the right moment, where you would normally overcast, then the spell goes off while running.

This could be massively exploitet and is obviously a bug!

S

Smokin

It does work with non target spells like wither but with target it spells I can't get it to work like your saying only sometimes.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well this should be REPORTED asap before they release it like they always do then fix it later.

K

Kiminality

Well, the main question I have is... What is this "overcast" things I've never heard anyone mention outside of referring to the weather?

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well be glad somebody brought it up instead of keping it a secret and be live on the prodo shards. They publish this and not fix it there will be a thousands posts for weeks about this. Not sure how this would destroy magery though. It would give them a huge advantage and be way overpowered.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well be glad somebody brought it up instead of keping it a secret and be live on the prodo shards. They publish this and not fix it there will be a thousands posts for weeks about this. Not sure how this would destroy magery though. It would give them a huge advantage and be way overpowered.
It's not just the running while casting. Not being able to overcast is going to ruin mage PvP.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, the main question I have is... What is this "overcast" things I've never heard anyone mention outside of referring to the weather?
Overcasting is when a spell gets disrupted and you cast it again too soon and you end up not getting a target cursor because you timed it wrong.

B

Babble

I doubt test shard is what magic will be like
There are about 50 changes in there I guess :p

I mean why the hell would they change polymorph back?

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dear Babble,

Its the devs and their mysterious ways of doing things. If we understood why and what they do then we be devs also.

Sincerely,
Zosimus

:gee:

B

Babble

Took me ages to convince Tact to drop the polymorph timer... no way they introduce that again ...at least not with a very good reason ... and no the answer that tact had that he does not believe in toggles does not cut it
:p

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have two ramps that go from point a to point b. One is curved the other is straight. You put a ball at the top of each ramp and let it go. The ball on the curved ramp beats the ball on the straight ramp because it accelerates faster.

That above is what goes on in UO now days. The devs try to fix something while we as players try to get around the fix. Its how to beat the curve they need to figure out without messing other aspects of the game. No matter what the devs do in any game, the community seems to find holes which gives them the advantage. It's an endless war in all games now days.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WHAT!!! you mean mage can do something like MOVING SHOT and DO 50 DMG in one hit WITHOUT STOPPING LIKE DEXERS?? NERF!!!111one1

B

Babble

Well I can report polymorpgh is bugged and reverts after 2 minutes...

V

Vyal

screw archers then?
The last thing they had going for em was moving shot. Now we get mages that can fs on the run.... I am going to quit pvping sit in tram and get rich.

Y

Yalp

Dear Dev's,

Last month Rock Inc's attorney's filed an injunction against your proposed changes to Scissors. It has come to our attention you have violated the terms of the Court's order. On behalf of the entire Rock class, you are hereby ordered to cease and desist all efforts to put Scissors on equal footing with Rock. You are reminded of the severe consequences to the bottom line of UO should you make parity between the classes. Further enforcement of the judge's ruling will be swift and severe. You have been duly notified.

Signed
Spacely Space Rock,
GM of Rocks-R-Us

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dear Dev's,

Last month Rock Inc's attorney's filed an injunction against your proposed changes to Scissors. It has come to our attention you have violated the terms of the Court's order. On behalf of the entire Rock class, you are hereby ordered to cease and desist all efforts to put Scissors on equal footing with Rock. You are reminded of the severe consequences to the bottom line of UO should you make parity between the classes. Further enforcement of the judge's ruling will be swift and severe. You have been duly notified.

Signed
Spacely Space Rock,
GM of Rocks-R-Us
New material :please:

Y

Yalp

I would if someone would start a thread other than...

"The sky is falling because the dev's are changing {Insert current gripe}!"
or the tried and true...
"{Insert template} is over powered and I demand a NERF!"
there is the old standby....
"Why won't anyone come to Fel anymore?"
with a closely associated...
"Back in the day when I pvp'd we had to walk uphill in both directions during a blizzard without sandals and just one arrow in our quiver to get a kill shot."

Ok the last one I made up....

S

Smokin

Im still having trouble reproducing the greater heal thing, I mean you could always hold down the key and when the cursor come up move. Please helps us see what your seeing so it can be fixed.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He's right, if you hold down the button on a spell you can run while casting on test centre lol

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Back in the day when I pvp'd we had to walk uphill in both directions during a blizzard without sandals and just one arrow in our quiver to get a kill shot."

Ok the last one I made up....
And it was great!

Okay I'm not great at pvp, but I aint askeerd of it either. Mage was never my strong point. I do look forward to trying to figure out for myself what the heck you the OP is on about.

By the by, the last year has had hordes of changes publish that were unannounced, most of which I believe were intended. Anybody tried the above mentioned "on the run" casting with weaving?

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not just earthquake and wither you can cast on the run, it's any spell if you hold the button down.

S

Smokin

So far what I get is when you hold the button down to cast it starts casting then you start running if you keep the button held down it doesn't cancel out the spell like it use to. So when you stop the spell is ready for you to target. It just doesn't cancel your spell like it use to when you got the message your are already casting a spell. I think thats what it did. I need to test it with interuption.

S

Smokin

Wow I just took some poison and drank it then hit cure it interupted the first time but just kept running then stopped spell was ready. Poisoners are not going to like this.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Get the trolls out of here!

Some say archers are overpowered, more people say mystics are overpowered. but on this thread even hardcore mage pvpers say, this change tips the scale too much towards mages.

I can only repeat: it's harder to exploit this with the EC, but it can still be done with extremely good timing. Maybe you can even set up a macro that does it... *goes testing*

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I certainly hope someone is actually reporting this as it is obviously a bug/exploit.