• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The End is here for me :(

Nirot

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As long as you still posting here ... we have not lost you... and you have not given up UO!

If you really want to leave UO, you would not come back to the forums again and again.....

You are still addicted. - UO is like smoking. - Its a drug. - And you can stop smoking... but as long as you think of it.. you will come back for sure on it....

So I am happy still seeing you watching the boards here. - Even if all your houses fall or people would take over your accounts. You will be back with us.....
;)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As long as you still posting here ... we have not lost you... and you have not given up UO!

If you really want to leave UO, you would not come back to the forums again and again.....

You are still addicted. - UO is like smoking. - Its a drug. - And you can stop smoking... but as long as you think of it.. you will come back for sure on it....

So I am happy still seeing you watching the boards here. - Even if all your houses fall or people would take over your accounts. You will be back with us.....
;)
LOL over the last 6 months I have spent more time on stratics than I have in game by a long shot :) I did give a couple of my master accounts away and made a couple of folks very happy I think ;) I kept one master acct that has my 3 oldest accts and tossed their soul stones in the bank and a few vet rewards and moved the bulk of my gold onto one of them........ LOL was surprised to see 90 plats and some change after all of my gold had been moved to one acct. didn't realize I had accumulated that much over the years.......... So I will have skills, some vet rewards and little bit of gold on the near 0% chance I should ever return to playing.

The thing is me leaving UO was not a emotional decision, I was not mad, and other than the general frustrations with BS incompetence which has been a part of the game since forever.. Incompetence not BS. UO just lost its magic for me and is just not fun to play anymore. It got to where it was log in and go through the same motions, get the same stuff, blah blah blah..... I probably would have quit a while back but Pub 97 and the pet revamp managed to spark me but even then I knew it was not going to last, how many hundreds of pets can you tame, train, burn your power scroll stash on before that gets to be just another boring grind. Again don't get me wrong I love UO and quitting now leaves it as something generally pleasant to look back on, with a few frustrating things. Instead of going to the point where I would not be able to find anything positive and grow to hate the game.

It also felt quite good to cancel the last sub and even better to turn entire master accts over to folks that had the balls to ask for them. More so since I count the people that got them as friends and know they will appreciate the accounts and all the STUFF. ANd more important UO has not lost its magic for them :)

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really hate to see you go Tyrath your a good man

Thank you for all your help friend in and out of game.

Best of wishes and I hope all of your future paths lead to unexpected pleasures and excitement

Live well

Maker2014

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just wanted to see what RS is like :
Tried to create a Free account, and it was completely buggy, and after trying for 1 hour I gave up and deleted the download etc.. If you think UO account set up is buggy..this one seems impossible..lol

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Tried to create a Free account, and it was completely buggy, and after trying for 1 hour I gave up and deleted the download etc.. If you think UO account set up is buggy..this one seems impossible..lol
Interesting - Tyrath got me thinking about RS too - not that I want another game that involves any sort of grinding or repetitive task to raise skills, and it seems like that's where RS would lead - but I was curious to see it - buggy? Not sure what that means, but hmmm ...
Edit: Gave it try, didn't experience any problems. The graphics are certainly way below UO, not nearly as refined or realistic, but the tutorial was well done

Last edited:

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
it took me all of 2 minutes to make an account with no hiccups. what type of error did you get?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never taken me more than 5 minutes to create a free acct.

Interesting - Tyrath got me thinking about RS too - not that I want another game that involves any sort of grinding or repetitive task to raise skills, and it seems like that's where RS would lead - but I was curious to see it - buggy? Not sure what that means, but hmmm ...
Edit: Gave it try, didn't experience any problems. The graphics are certainly way below UO, not nearly as refined or realistic, but the tutorial was well done
Gets better if you play with the graphics settings but I will take it and the interface over the UO EC client any day :) Comparing RS to UO is kind of apples and peaches, but also kind of not. Despite the quest it is very much a sandbox, learning curve is about equal to UO that is just a natural progression in very old games. Biggest difference is the population and being able to hop from server to server in seconds... And of course the housing in RS sucks. The whole feel is much different than UO and takes some getting used to. LOL I finally figured out how to turn the Combat and interface to "Old School" which made life a whole lot easier and simpler for me. All that being said it does have a cartoony aspect which I like...... lol if I wanted realistic I would go outside.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If anyone does take RS PM me here and I will share some old school getting started tricks that still work for getting combat up into the 50s fairly fast.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Safe travels :) There is so much truth in this thread, good read!

Quitting games I played for quite a bit usually shows how much those gaming friendships are worth. I'd say from all the years of gaming I made like 4 friends that lasted more than a single game. The couple hundreds "friends" I made along the way of other games were usually never heard of once you or them quit whatever game we had fun at that time. And I'm even totally cool with that :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You post a lot for someone leaving. ;) We just gotta keep baiting you to talk so you get the bug again.
You know since I got really sick back and about cashed the chips in back in the spring of 2016, I could not play for almost a year for more than 10 minutes before the screen in game got all swirly and would literally make me want to puke........ kind of like being sea sick. Anything on a screen with motion did that even TV lol. So I spent a lot of time here mostly reading through old post, I think I read every page on UOguide twice and just never really got back into playing after I was off the mefs that caused that. Other than after the taming revamp but that even lost my interest after the first 3-4 months. Guess the best way of putting how I feel now days is I am still interested in UO in general but have no interest in playing UO anymore. I have taken my breaks in the past like pretty much everyone, but this time is different, there is not that little voice in the back of the head saying "I will be back"....... Just the Leprachaun that sits on my shoulder that occasionally tells me to burn things ;)

Last edited:

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sorry to hear that your leaving and I wish you the best, I also played RS while taking a break from UO years ago but tbh it still felt hollow and I always thought about coming back here every few weeks/months. RuneScape has a very dedicated team and they keep you engaged so you don't really get bored however that blurry cartoonish feel with the horrible housing wasn't enough to keep me there, still a good game nonetheless and seriously wish UO would be taking more pointers from them (EJ is a start though ;)). Have you thought of maybe downgrading your accounts from 20 to 3-5? Most will cut accounts before actually leaving for good and trust me after leaving three times it sucks coming back with nothing :(

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Have you ever actually played UO? Especially the EC.
Yup, though i'll ask you the same question as i'm sure my daily login beats your almost quarterly presence lol :p. I only play CC except when i'm faced with vendor stacking, doing certain home deco's or treasure maps... KR in my view (2.5D) had the best feel in an updated graphics for UO, far from perfect but it was a step in the right direction for updated graphics

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Like walking through the wrong (or right) part of Amsterdam. LOL

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yup, though i'll ask you the same question as i'm sure my daily login beats your almost quarterly presence lol :p. I only play CC except when i'm faced with vendor stacking, doing certain home deco's or treasure maps... KR in my view (2.5D) had the best feel in an updated graphics for UO, far from perfect but it was a step in the right direction for updated graphics
I like to compare the different clients to Conole generations....

CC was SNES era graphics.
3rd Dawn Client was early PS1 era graphics.
KR Client PS2 era graphics.
SA/EC N64 era graphics. Definite step backwards.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry to hear that your leaving and I wish you the best, I also played RS while taking a break from UO years ago but tbh it still felt hollow and I always thought about coming back here every few weeks/months. RuneScape has a very dedicated team and they keep you engaged so you don't really get bored however that blurry cartoonish feel with the horrible housing wasn't enough to keep me there, still a good game nonetheless and seriously wish UO would be taking more pointers from them (EJ is a start though ;)). Have you thought of maybe downgrading your accounts from 20 to 3-5? Most will cut accounts before actually leaving for good and trust me after leaving three times it sucks coming back with nothing :(
If not else RS has mastered the addiction factor and getting just one more level LOL. One of the biggest things I think BS/EA Could learn from them is not to co-mingle EJ and Subs, really should have EJ Shards that can be used by Subs if they want but with the same restrictions as EJ. Second is the Grand Exchange in RS much better for commerce than UOs Vendor Search and Vendor System and it is global across all of the servers. And 3rd PvP and PvP areas (The Wilderness) The combat triangle in RS and the level restrictions on who you can attack, depending on what level of the wilderness you are in is very balanced and fair. And PvP is actually more fun in the 45-80 combat level than it is when you have two combat LvL 138s pounding on each other. Of course there are gimp set ups like my RS Noob killer toon that is 55 combat but all str and prayer, great at 1 hit killing but he is a glass cannon and if the first hit doesn't kill I am dead. Gear is not nearly as important in RS as it is in UO. Important yes but the actual skills and ability to use them far more important. RS actually hunts down and eliminates bots and cheaters, do they get them all? Nope but they put significant effort into it. And at the end of the day RS is doing a lot more right than wrong to maintain a strong population for close to 20 years. It is beyond obvious that UOs population is a fraction of Runescapes population.

I thought about cutting accounts back but I am pretty much a all or nothing kind of guy. I have tried everything to bring the magic of UO back into my heart and it just ain't there anymore, other than a brief moment here and there. My last act in UO was to give entire master accts with a lot of stuff and max skills to a few people that I know and think will fully appreciate what they got. And my real last act was cancelling everything, uninstalling and walking away clean........ And leaving two very good houses that will IDOC. The Legends Zento house and the Warehouse beside the island keep on Siege will go into the 90 day cycle on 5-26-2018 it had that much time left on it :) The Keep on the Siege Island and the House at the South East Zento gates by the Stable will go into the 90 day cycle on 5-30-2018 . SO around the end of August there will be my two best accts houses going IDOC and Falling.