• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Adventures of Nightstalker

Kattasrophe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
*grabs a pie and hits Night with it in the face* I read all of your stories and Might I add, you are a talented writer! But since you uh took Tick's ring and he does not have a stratics account, where might I meet you to buy that ring back? If any chance at all.

archiv

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to say, like many I'm sure, it's stories like these and those by Chad Sexington which convinced me to make a thief, an utter failure but a thief none the less. They're also the stories that peaked my interest in coming to Siege as well. Entertaining and as always well written.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Welcome back :)

One of the things I like about Siege is that you must be vigilant. Keeps things from getting as boring as Trammel. I have gotten lazy about security checks, but I think I will check my windows now! *dusts off the old detect icon*

nightstalker22

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
pretty ****ty to steal from new
When Tom accepted a refund from Shalimar, that's essentially what he did. Had he any honor, he would have accepted the loss, and not put the burden on an establishment designed to help new players.
Tom is not a new player. Tom shouldn't expect special treatment. It is unfortunate that the teleporter took me to that location, but that transaction could have been 100% secure by using a vendor.
Return the money, Tom. You received the product you paid for.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*golf clap*
a naked thief took a "huge risk" and stole an item from another player. possible outcomes:
1: the thief gets caught and killed and looses nothing.
2: the thief gets away with it and the player looses an item.

Do you see where this equasion is a bit one sided concerning risk and reward ratio?

That being said Tom should have been smart enough to do this deal elsewhere and use safety precautions. Shalimar explicitly told him to come to the NEW HQ because she felt this was a safe place.

This could have been easily avoided. Some tips for safe trades in the future:

Use a vendor. The buyer can then choose the time of purchase and should either stealth in or at the very least cast invisibility on him or herself before purchasing the item.

When you make a deal in general chat meet up with the person and leave the item at home.
Add the other person to a party and use party chat to discuss the location of the trade.
Use the public moongate or even better, a ship rune to a private ship to gate out and then go to the location of the trade. This makes sure the thief can't follow you easily.

The safest method last: use a private home, access the other party for the trade, have them gate out from that home. When all is done remember to revoke access.

nightstalker22

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*golf clap*
a naked thief took a "huge risk" and stole an item from another player. possible outcomes:
1: the thief gets caught and killed and looses nothing.
2: the thief gets away with it and the player looses an item.

Do you see where this equasion is a bit one sided concerning risk and reward ratio?

That being said Tom should have been smart enough to do this deal elsewhere and use safety precautions. Shalimar explicitly told him to come to the NEW HQ because she felt this was a safe place.

This could have been easily avoided. Some tips for safe trades in the future:

Use a vendor. The buyer can then choose the time of purchase and should either stealth in or at the very least cast invisibility on him or herself before purchasing the item.

When you make a deal in general chat meet up with the person and leave the item at home.
Add the other person to a party and use party chat to discuss the location of the trade.
Use the public moongate or even better, a ship rune to a private ship to gate out and then go to the location of the trade. This makes sure the thief can't follow you easily.

The safest method last: use a private home, access the other party for the trade, have them gate out from that home. When all is done remember to revoke access.
Yes. I've long advocated for a use for the forensics skill to be able to arrest thieves and send them to the Yew prison for x amount of (real) time (based on the value of the item stolen), if you could catch them. Beat them into subjection like you would a difficult tame, then arrest.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*giggles* Love thieving and thief stories! One of the best and funniest skills in this game...

Baby Doll

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

When using a vendor you need not click buy button at vendor. Bring up buy button for your item, pick any direction and run (stealth) or whatever and buy at a different place. Just can not cross a boundary line or use a gate. I think buy window is good for around 2 min. Time it out and see. Example bring up the buy button on a item around Yew then run to bank then click the buy button.

Shalimar/Cleo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
When Tom accepted a refund from Shalimar, that's essentially what he did. Had he any honor, he would have accepted the loss, and not put the burden on an establishment designed to help new players.
Tom is not a new player. Tom shouldn't expect special treatment. It is unfortunate that the teleporter took me to that location, but that transaction could have been 100% secure by using a vendor.
Return the money, Tom. You received the product you paid for.
The thief tales are always entertaining Night, and the last one was also. Welcome back to Siege, the thieves have been much missed.
Regarding Shalimar giving Tom a full refund though and in Tom's defence: you attacked Tom in the NEW guildhouse and as Shal owns that house as well as it being the NEW house, she is responsible for what happens there. You are aware the house is a no attack area (always has been) the house rules haven't changed since your guild used to come there to help new players with thief template advice. The scroll was Shal's own, she was selling it then donating the proceeds to NEW, she obtained another scroll for Tom and it's been safely delivered to him, so it's all good.

Ol'Rac Nnod

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I personally find it rather despicable to brag about successfully committing a crime within NEW headquarters. A place agreed by most of any degree o' decency to behave while visiting.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
What do ya expect a thief to do?

Ol'Rac Nnod

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
What do ya expect a thief to do?
Same as I expect a dedicated PvPer/PKer to do, respect Shalimar's wishes, and keep it off her property. Most of us choose public or private housing for personal reasons and those that are public are fair game the thieves, pks ,etc.
But NEW guild house must be that way to accommodate EJ members, and as it's their mission to help repopulate the shard we should respect Shalimar's wishes and keep negative professions outside of her property. That's my opinion. A thief bragging about stealing in there is no less tasteful and dishonorable than a pk bragging about slaughtering in there. A thiefs should keep it out, is what I expect a thief to do.

nightstalker22

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I personally find it rather despicable to brag about successfully committing a crime within NEW headquarters. A place agreed by most of any degree o' decency to behave while visiting.
I agree, oddly. I had been away, and had never visited the hub house at Brit moongate before, so, I don't know where any of the teleporters go to, save one. I didn't know where I was being teleported to when I stepped on the tile, I just knew I was in pursuit of my target, which I had been chasing after for the previous 40 minutes or so. Either the location was chosen BECAUSE there is supposed to be no attacks or thievery, which makes the transaction one of bad faith for the shard, preventing players from playing the game as they enjoy playing it, or the location was chosen for convenience, and was just sloppy security.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Self promotion was never a one of 'stalkers failings... *smiles*

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I don't think yer dagger is a pointy as ya think it is.