• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(OT) The *Absent Friends* Babble Thread

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fifteen? It is seventeen sir and in some of these fair states of America, that sir makes her legal. I wonder if I could marry her, I have courted her for seventeen years and god willing she loves me as much as I lover her.

Now sir,down here in these parts we do things the gentlemanly way, * slaps certifiable in the face with a glove *
'certifiable' won't answer cos his name is @Nixon[I-C] I don't believe he has an active subscription, which might be as well from what I remember. the [I-C] guys would run rings around most of today's pvpers :D

Nixon[I-C]

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My bad on the 15... I spotted something on the main website and never did the Maths I guess. Even more impressive then!

Hello Petra, hope you and Terry are keeping fine.

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the [I-C] guys would run rings around most of today's pvpers :D

As of 2 months ago.....

..... Just what she said !

[posted by a regular I-C victim]

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmmmmmm.....

Petra, Fluffi and Saunders comment on how good the Covenant were; then the babble dies for nearly 2 months.

Was it something we said?

... or was it the fault of the evil Nixon and his gang of murderous cut-throats; extending their influence to silence the normally-vociferous babblers?

Saunders

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mostly buried in the mould of Wandsworth here... it could have been a vicious cut-throat wot done it: was probably afk at the time!

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wandsworth?

London?

The prison?

Wot u dun 2 get put in man prizn?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
christmas-bauble.gif
New avatar for Christmas, though I don't think it's spinning like it's supposed to. Might have to swap it back

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well; this looks like the death of the Europa babble thread, and thus the death of any inclination I ever had to ever return to UO.

Two-and-a-half months since anyone last posted here.

I appreciate that people come, and people go: This is to be expected in a fluid, online community; but given that my old-time online friends aren't contributing to a Europa thread that used to get 20 posts per day, then I guess they aren't playing anymore.

This saddens me.

... To those that matter: I might well have killed / looted / stolen from you, but you know it was never personal. :hug:

*** As a note to any of the oldies who feel like a chat ***
I stopped ICQing years ago, but I still login here occasionally - and will read / answer any PMs. I can also be contacted via Skype / daffybunni

Fluffi

Tarenessa

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I'd like to say "I miss you Sally" as well. I only found out a few weeks ago Sally/Julia had passed away. She was the first person I met in the RP circle back in the days of yore lol, when I transferred from Felucca to Trammel and got involved in the RP side of things.
I've also encouraged Mellisante to come back to UO so we're both pottering about trying to work out the new enhanced client with Pinco's UI so we dont look like total newbies :)

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
*Makes an attempt to restart the babble...*
Quite sad that this used to be the hardest thread to keep off the top of the forum, even when I did only occasionally visit!
Must've got stuck in Barian's revolving door...

Nilrem

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just poking my head round the door to say hi, and I hope everyone is ok

As my bi annual urge to log in again rises to the surface :)

Barian

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Give in to the urge ..... you know you want to ..... :please:

Dain of GYE

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I don't know about that but I know this thread used to get 50-100 posts a day in the golden age. I don't expect that to ever happen again but I owe it to the thread to give it a wikkr kickstart if I can. I appreciate the gesture may be futile but I am happy to try.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never liked babble threads back in the day but I do hold a sense of nostalgia for what is now essentially a fairly dead forum which is part of a fairly dead game. Yes people will tell you how wonderful UO is. AND it is a great game. But it needs a serious update. Serious support. A serious 3d client. And new content. The High Seas Expansion looked great. The new ships are UBAR for role play but by the time it was introduced all the Pirate role players were long gone. I have tried lots of games and UO is still the greatest sandbox game. But just make a 3d version. Oh and babble here as well.

Dain of GYE

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I have tried other versions of the game, but without the people around you it just isn't the same. I can't help but feel if someone took the ideals of the game and what you could actually do and put that shell within a new 3d graphically enchanced engine that people would be flocking to it. It may be that Lord British has already done such a thing, I haven't played that game so can't comment.

I just want the freedom to mine, smelt and stand at the forge with Drax and Ully being one of the smiths trustworthy enough to be given the honour of repairing peoples weapons and armour. From time to time I may break into song or on most days just be a grumpy dwarf moaning about inferior human made weapons but I would really like the chance to be able to do that again in a populated realm.

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hey Dain, all babble greatly appreciated especially if it references our Drax & Uly!
Although Brit Smiths might be dead as a dodo, WBB meets are busy enough. Should drop in and chew the fat - although you'll have to out-grump a few others!
Be nice to hear someone else talking about mining for a change!

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have tried other versions of the game, but without the people around you it just isn't the same. I can't help but feel if someone took the ideals of the game and what you could actually do and put that shell within a new 3d graphically enchanced engine that people would be flocking to it. It may be that Lord British has already done such a thing, I haven't played that game so can't comment.

I just want the freedom to mine, smelt and stand at the forge with Drax and Ully being one of the smiths trustworthy enough to be given the honour of repairing peoples weapons and armour. From time to time I may break into song or on most days just be a grumpy dwarf moaning about inferior human made weapons but I would really like the chance to be able to do that again in a populated realm.
Yes totally agree on all points. I tried WoW which I enjoyed a lot for about 6 months then realised it was just a pointless grind and I was playing solo 98% of the time. Moved to Guild Wars and PvPed for 9 months which had highs and lows. Lots of pathetic ****ers who thought they could PvP when they were just button mashing/spamming moves and who would leave a fight as soon as it looked like our side was going to lose. 4 v 4 PvP in Guild Wars was fun.

And then 2 years in LOTRO Monster Play for PvP on an epic scale. Battles of 100 v 100 at times. Crashing the server. Being in the most hated tribe on the server. Leading our tribe and calling the shots in PvP selecting the targets and directing the attacks. Honestly for maybe nine months we ruled the Ettenmoors [a bit like AI did in Felucca some time ago] and my online gaming life was as close to complete as it had been in 2003/4/5 in UO. Then, as with all things they nerfed this, changed the rules, people complained that we learnt to capture castles unfairly blah blah. And it was like ERPA vs CoRE all over again but without the intelligence.

I remember a Sunday afternoon in UO back in 2002/3/4/5[?] when we went on a champ spawn hunt in Felucca and there was about 100 players [blues] being harried and harrased by about 20 reds who would steam in kill a few people and then try and escape. Very exciting. But the birth of WoW killed UO stone dead and EA have never really recovered or tried to react to it properly.

Dain of GYE

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi Melchiah, I can't bring myself to go through all the grief with support to get accounts opened only to stand at a deserted forge with no one around. You used to have to fight for a space and the fact that a few of us were deferred to was probably the greatest honour we could recieve. I don't want to break that memory.

I agree Callum, nothing comes close although many have tried. We had the same Guild feel as GYE in our WOW Guild but the game simply wasn't as open and allowing shops and merchants to repair armour rather than making it a player to player experiance just irritated me.

I never got involved in the ERPA vs CORE thing. Tamryn/Seriya Delacey is an IRL friend so I just followed her, she always seemed level headed enough to me. Was not point adding to the drama by me steaming in with all guns blazing and having rows with people.

The player to player interaction made UO the best.

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Repairing, non-GM armour, AoS items, all had an effect. Imbuing and reforming has gone someway to redress the balance, but UO is never going to be as busy as it was. I remember going on those champ and harrower hunts from 10+ years ago, and how things have changed. The forge space wars, and dealing with the fake repairers "Seth and Talon" to name two, kept things spicy! RAA are still going, mostly thanks to the efforts of Molly and Lien, but the guild and the crafting nature are the same as when Uly had the small tower by Brit Cem. Was great to see you reference Drax and ELV, brought back memories of their wedding!
I just think it's more about the quality of interaction now rather than the quantity - a lot of things are borked, but underneath the core values of the game are still the same.

Dain of GYE

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I stay in touch with most people via friendface from back in the day. The GYE meet up's at Charing Cross in a Pub I forget the name of turn out to be great times. As were the Shard meet ups, especially the one at the Sports Bar where we had over 250 people!

The game itself is fine, I have mined and smithed on other shards but no-one runs a T2A Shard Trammel based with a good population. That for me when you could smith and roleplay were the best times on Dain. On Garret however it was all about the Ancient Oak but that is Valfreya's story.

Dain of GYE

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Happy Monday everyone. I played some UO over the weekend. Just did some mining. Very relaxing.

Might consider a return to an OSI shard if my account gets sorted out. Think that in itself will be a miracle. Has anyone played Shroud of the Avatar yet? Just looking for honest feedback on it.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Happy Monday everyone. I played some UO over the weekend. Just did some mining. Very relaxing.

Might consider a return to an OSI shard if my account gets sorted out. Think that in itself will be a miracle. Has anyone played Shroud of the Avatar yet? Just looking for honest feedback on it.
Ahhhhh are you on the Facebook RP Survivors group Dain?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I have played shroud of the avatar. At the moment, it looks like it will be a very good game, however the developers seem to have become pretty money hungry, charging insane prices for basic things in the game. For example, they want a group funding type of thing for horses that costs 250 thousand real dollars, plus an additional 100 thousand dollars for pack horses. It does not seem like it costs 350k real cash just to put horses and pack horses into a game lol. Additionally, putting elves as a playable race costs 350 thousand, and putting moveable ships into the game costs 500 thousand.

It also seems like housing will be nearly impossible to find when the game launches since there are so many players, and not even close to enough spots for houses for even half the players to get a house.

Personally I don't like the games combat system right now, since it is a deck based thing that makes combat more like a card game than an MMO.

However, with all that said the game has an amazing community, there are hundreds, if not thousands of players who are extremely active in the game putting together player events, parties, contests, plays, musicals, etc. for the enjoyment of the rest of the community. the game is still at least 6 months away from being released, probably longer, so for it to have such a strong and friendly community this early is pretty amazing.

Dain of GYE

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I have played shroud of the avatar. At the moment, it looks like it will be a very good game, however the developers seem to have become pretty money hungry, charging insane prices for basic things in the game. For example, they want a group funding type of thing for horses that costs 250 thousand real dollars, plus an additional 100 thousand dollars for pack horses. It does not seem like it costs 350k real cash just to put horses and pack horses into a game lol. Additionally, putting elves as a playable race costs 350 thousand, and putting moveable ships into the game costs 500 thousand.

It also seems like housing will be nearly impossible to find when the game launches since there are so many players, and not even close to enough spots for houses for even half the players to get a house.

Personally I don't like the games combat system right now, since it is a deck based thing that makes combat more like a card game than an MMO.
See these things really concern me considering how much was raised on kickstarter already. The lack of housing spaces also rings massive alarm bells.

However, with all that said the game has an amazing community, there are hundreds, if not thousands of players who are extremely active in the game putting together player events, parties, contests, plays, musicals, etc. for the enjoyment of the rest of the community. the game is still at least 6 months away from being released, probably longer, so for it to have such a strong and friendly community this early is pretty amazing.
This community makes me want to play.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting. I agree with your concerns about the money grabbing, and am not impressed with sound of the systems they have designed for combat, but .... I was an early Kickstarter backer for SotA and have failed to make the time to play it so far, but those comments about the community makes me want to start, as does their forum interaction with their devs, who seem really keen to be genuinely involved with the community.

I'm really near to giving up on UO, so it seems it is time I went exploring SotA .........

Dain of GYE

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I had a quick look at Landmark as well, and that seems interesting. Might hear back from UOsupport today, fingers crossed.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting. I agree with your concerns about the money grabbing, and am not impressed with sound of the systems they have designed for combat, but .... I was an early Kickstarter backer for SotA and have failed to make the time to play it so far, but those comments about the community makes me want to start, as does their forum interaction with their devs, who seem really keen to be genuinely involved with the community.

I'm really near to giving up on UO, so it seems it is time I went exploring SotA .........
How much does it cost to sign up for SOTA?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How much does it cost to sign up for SOTA?
Right now, $45 is the lowest amount a person can pay to play it. It is a one time payment, after the one payment it is a free to play game forever for that account. The developers have said it will go up to $60 when it launches for real. Here's the link to their website explaining what stuff you get with each donation level: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=35139

Dain of GYE

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hope everyone had a good weekend, its been almost a week since a post in this thread but thought I would give it a bump anyway and babble.

Played some more this weekend, mostly mining. UO support looked to have retrieved my accounts so I might even appear on the official Europa soon! I guess I will need an up to date client for that to happen?

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Had a few days of offline activity, not self enforced. Shame it coincided with being stuck in a four day conference.
Would've taken a walk through a bluebell wood any day!

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I have taken an extended look at Shroud of the Avatar and you know what? It really does look and feel like UO2 its a natural successor to UO from what I can tell so far. Player housing looks good, the skills system is neat, crafting looks interesting and the New Britannia has a lovely look to it. If you are looking for a new challenge this might just be it.

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Very odd last night... UO client was classified as a Trojan by Kaspersky anti virus and deleted. Anyone else had this happen?
Key logger apparently!

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just out of curiosity; and to satisfy an old person....

.... does anyone have any photos of the London meeting which took place just before the Elf expansion thingy??

I spent a wonderful day with my online friends, (most of whom were younger than my children), including Hemi, Freja, Trev, Ultima, Kat, and many many more.

(If I remember correctly, the description of me at that meeting was something like "the old, shaven-headed, tattooed biker, who had a drinking competition with Garrison Darker and EM Elendrick")

If you have pictures, please post them; if not for me, then to show the newbies what UO players used to look like. o.0

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very odd last night... UO client was classified as a Trojan by Kaspersky anti virus and deleted. Anyone else had this happen?
Key logger apparently!
http://stratics.com/community/threads/yall-aint-gonna-believe-this.340432/

Couple of people have reported it happening, but since it's only Kaspersky doing it since it's most recent update, I strongly suspect it's a 'false positive', use the Kaspersky systems to report it and let them check it out though if you are unsure.

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Mmm, had some sort of exception set up now but does it intermittently. Annoying thing when it does do it it deletes that char's desktop, and end up doing a full patch file check.

Annoying!