• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thanks Dev Team

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well as far as I'm concerned we are basically playing on the "Mesanna" Free Server... and it feels that way. And really sadly we PAY for this!

Favoritism to pet groups and people... check

Server go up,... Server go down for no reason.... Check

Random Reverts.... check

Buggy patches and updates.... Check

Favoritism of various shards with what EM's can and Can not Do..... Check

Random periods where there is NO "Help" when paging.... Check

Need I go on???
To be fair.. I'd expect this from any 20 year old game.. in fact I'd wager the uptime for UO prodo servers are much better than their younger cousin's EQ/EQ2 servers over at Daybreak.

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Whatever is said about uo, I would like to say that it wss my first MMO, and it is the one I measure all others to. The game has such zaney gooey goodness to it still.

I love the bugs and glitches are there, the 2D client, the history of the game is mired in intiguing insanity, and they got fishing and EM Events. Also you can meet people from around the world and give them your finest fish cakes.

It is weird. Immersive and weird. Not many games can do it. For all its complexity it is very basic and can still make me chuckle like a zentoan school child when I screw up badly.

I still want to know whose castle I am looking at when I log in or out. I still wish they would revisit quest rewards for High Seas dread pirate turn in. Not the DP loot itself, but if I go stomp one tie him to my boat and turn him in for a fire cannon ball, I still get upset. Give me some points or something to look at a turn in list, anything please.

Pirate hunting is fun. The system should not suck for rewards. Anyways thanks devs.. So long and thank you for the fish.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pirates was a blast until the salt pepper nerf I haven't done it since
I will admit all the steps and resources it takes to load cannons is to much but keeping with the theme of uo it has to be complex and a grind fest.

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whatever is said about uo, I would like to say that it wss my first MMO, and it is the one I measure all others to. The game has such zaney gooey goodness to it still.

I love the bugs and glitches are there, the 2D client, the history of the game is mired in intiguing insanity, and they got fishing and EM Events. Also you can meet people from around the world and give them your finest fish cakes.

It is weird. Immersive and weird. Not many games can do it. For all its complexity it is very basic and can still make me chuckle like a zentoan school child when I screw up badly.

I still want to know whose castle I am looking at when I log in or out. I still wish they would revisit quest rewards for High Seas dread pirate turn in. Not the DP loot itself, but if I go stomp one tie him to my boat and turn him in for a fire cannon ball, I still get upset. Give me some points or something to look at a turn in list, anything please.

Pirate hunting is fun. The system should not suck for rewards. Anyways thanks devs.. So long and thank you for the fish.
Yeah, give some more useful rewards to the high sea will be great. The last publish of pet revamp is mostly great. It cannot make 100% of players happy, but, I like it very much. Thank you very much, development team !

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hrmm, I got one.

Vendor Search, granted (imo) it's the best thing that we've gotten in terms of usefulness and functionality in quite some time.
Haha i only skimmed this thread so perhaps i missed other points you made or interpreted this out of context.

Vendor search being praised like its some sort of game changer is pretty funny. That **** is clunky af and breaks a lot - devs couldnt even execute that right. Very much a theme with these devs: Releasing half ass broken content on the reg.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Haha i only skimmed this thread so perhaps i missed other points you made or interpreted this out of context.

Vendor search being praised like its some sort of game changer is pretty funny. That **** is clunky af and breaks a lot - devs couldnt even execute that right. Very much a theme with these devs: Releasing half ass broken content on the reg.

Where did anyone praise Vendor search like it's a game changer?

I'm not praising the devs... Vendor search (IMO) is simply the best thing we've gotten from them (obviously not saying much... someone missed it though ;)). there are some smaller things that are "good" but those "good things" are often broken by related parts of the same publish(es) or as you say, "releasing half-ass broken content".

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
You have large budget games like WOW with heinous glitches and oversight and they had tons of people working on that.. And more money flowing through that than anything we ever seen here. And that game kinda just misses the mark.

People said they like WOW lore.. I tried to like it, but nah. Its like Star Wars, how many times can you put a guy in a black plastic helmet and give him a red glow stick and still find it intriguing. WoW just keeps bringing people back to life and revamping old raids etc. Sucked.

Anyhow, UO kinda recycling old npcs alot but maybe we will see them find a befitting end sometime. I am greatful for the house system, and that we can have a house Siege and Prodo. And greatful the devs have kept the toy box open as long and faithfully as they have. They are doing a good job with what they have.

Maybe we as a community can help advertise for them somehow as a thank you?

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Where did anyone praise Vendor search like it's a game changer?

I'm not praising the devs... Vendor search (IMO) is simply the best thing we've gotten from them (obviously not saying much... someone missed it though ;)). there are some smaller things that are "good" but those "good things" are often broken by related parts of the same publish(es) or as you say, "releasing half-ass broken content".
Hah perhaps i exaggerated a bit there - i just always though vendor search was garbage

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe we as a community can help advertise for them somehow as a thank you?
Hehe :(

I'm pretty sure one of the UO Producers said that at one point within the last 5-6 years (it may have been Jeff Skalski?) but I think it was Mesanna. That the players were the main source of advertising for UO.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Probably because Siege doesn't have recall at all, only gate travel. When you teleport using vendor search your character still says "Kal Ort Por" like the normal recall spell. It most likely doesn't work without recall being an option on that shard.
True, if then that raises the question of why at this point in history they don't allow Recall and SJ. Not like it would break the PvP there.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey I know, make UO a Not For Profit, call it educational and get everything tax payer grant funded. The NPR and PBS of MMORPGs!!!! Then everyones subs would be considered a charitable contribution and I would not have to sit there in a audit trying not laugh as I explain why my UO expenses are a legit business expense.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hey I know, make UO a Not For Profit, call it educational and get everything tax payer grant funded. The NPR and PBS of MMORPGs!!!! Then everyones subs would be considered a charitable contribution and I would not have to sit there in a audit trying not laugh as I explain why my UO expenses are a legit business expense.
I watched a guy completely BS his way through a justification of why owning a brand new corvette was a legit business expense he could deduct. His argument was that the corvette lowered his stress level and allowed him to focus more on the company, and he was able to improve the profitability and efficiency of the business because of it. He said it with a completely straight face too. It worked heh.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The "small dev team" bit gets me too, this isn't exactly a brain bender to write for, there is basically a tool for everything in UO for the devs these days.
Look at Istaria (was called Horizons) it too has a tiny dev team, like 4 people but it has patch after patch fixing bugs, new content going in and even a graphics engine upgrade, its also a 3d and not a 2d so more work involved in every aspect.
The "we only have a small team in UO, they are doing their best" just don't fly for me.
Its more like they know they are getting a wage each month so they just don't care anymore, it's not just a job and not a career anymore. (just like the rest of us)

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
haha I love this thread OP wants to praise the dev's then literally every post after is bashing them lol. Maybe one day they get the memo.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Pretty blue people with wings to tear off?
Cat people?
Cheese graphic!?!
WHY HAVE I NEVER HEARD OF THIS?
Oh the best part of it is you can actually play as a Dragon......AND FLY!!!! and I don't mean like the gargoyle crap in UO, you can fly anywhere :)
Crafting is deep, lots of PVE and the best thing of all....NO PVP :D

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh the best part of it is you can actually play as a Dragon......AND FLY!!!! and I don't mean like the gargoyle crap in UO, you can fly anywhere :)
Crafting is deep, lots of PVE and the best thing of all....NO PVP :D
Is it F2P ?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyway... all this talk about how a game should be managed is gonna end up getting this thread moved....
.....lets return to how "good" our devs are doing......
erm.....
errrrrrmmmm......
Nope, all I got was that they made the Phoenix tameable........but then they went and screwed that up a week later too.......

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's good to think of the positive from time to time to avoid falling into the trap of being an adult bitterly complaining about an obscure 20 year old video game.

Some things the devs have done:
  • Released an expansion after becoming Broadsword (including a landmass, quests, skill masteries, and an actual storyline to introduce it; all of which one can get nit-picky with, but here it is regardless)
  • Gold conversion
  • Vendor Search
  • UO Store
  • Revamped uo.com into something that actually looks good and is useful
  • MyUO (albeit limited, but still good)
  • The Player Wiki, actually making the game's website a useful source for information.
  • Finished the final two virtues (although to be HONEST, I'm not considering the virtue system truly complete until they fix the crime-against-gaming that is the virtue of Honesty)
  • BOD Update (I say this begrudgingly because I'm not fan of this update)
  • Pet revamp
  • Dev-Meets with players in game on a monthly basis
  • Monthly newsletter that is actually being sent out consistently
Some things the devs are working on:
  • A forum (much needed)
  • F2P accessibility (much asked for)
  • 20th anniversary party (a sign of vibrancy)
  • 20th anniversary arc
Some problems I have with UO (to balance it all out):
  • 2 clients, one has limited UI functionality, the other looks like a pile of fetid garbage - it should be one client with great UI and great, hi-res art consistent with classic UO style
  • Fundamentally flawed design, departure from sandbox principles; neutered, watered-down gameplay
  • Lack of presence on Steam
  • No apparent care for lore
  • Emphasis on holiday gifts (a waste of time in my view)
  • Dead shards (which I believe hurt the game more than they help)
Overall I appreciate that the devs are keeping the lights on and continuing to work on new updates, regardless of whether I like or dislike the updates. Despite its problems, UO still manages to be a one-of-a-kind game, no other game is really like it and that is a part of why I am still here.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's good to think of the positive from time to time to avoid falling into the trap of being an adult bitterly complaining about an obscure 20 year old video game.

• Released an expansion after becoming Broadsword (including a landmass, quests, skill masteries, and an actual storyline to introduce it; all of which one can get nit-picky with, but here it is regardless)
  • Gold conversion
  • Vendor Search
  • UO Store
  • The Player Wiki, actually making the game's website a useful source for information.
  • Finished the final two virtues (although to be HONEST, I'm not considering the virtue system truly complete until they fix the crime-against-gaming that is the virtue of Honesty)
  • Pet revamp
  • A forum (much needed)
  • 20th anniversary arc
  • 2 clients, one has limited UI functionality, the other looks like a pile of fetid garbage - it should be one client with great UI and great, hi-res art consistent with classic UO style
  • Fundamentally flawed design, departure from sandbox principles; neutered, watered-down gameplay
Overall I appreciate that the devs are keeping the lights on and continuing to work on new updates, regardless of whether I like or dislike the updates. Despite its problems, UO still manages to be a one-of-a-kind game, no other game is really like it and that is a part of why I am still here.
Oh right, i thought we were talking about "good" updates and not just "any" updates ;)

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

• Gold conversion
  • Vendor Search
  • UO Store
  • Pet revamp
  • A forum (much needed)
  • 20th anniversary arc
I would not consider most of what is in the first set of bullet points to be any sort of positives, in my opinion.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

• Gold conversion
  • Vendor Search
  • UO Store
  • Pet revamp
  • A forum (much needed)
  • 20th anniversary arc
I don't know lets break this down:

You are calling Positive making Eodon.... but that was great except they made it one MASSIVE GRIND FEST... Champ spawn was ok... even ok they put a version in Fel... but Fell FAR short of the mark in that ONE person gets an Egg... and it must go to someone but nope had to buy all mine because I never got one... not to mention the fact that the "hatchling"... was cute and all but it looks like a sea turtle ... and the chances of getting a "useable" one that would replace the giant eyesore that is the GD in the EC... SLIM TO NONE. You'd have to hatch 4,000 eggs to find one usable dragon turtle. After a short time at those odds you can see the Turtle Spawn is done so rarely on most shards now I'd imagine it is overgrown with cobwebs...

Gold Converstion... great... Now I've accidentally left Gold on countless shards because it's such a PITA to remember to put it back in the "Transfer" .... Not to mention gone to shards without my gold having to wait another 2 days to get there and back again... the nicest thing about this is finally not having to hear the NPCs tell me I haven't got any (#($*&*( GOLD when I know I do.

Vendor Search... I barely use it... and when I do want to use 9 times out of 10 it doesn't work, isn't working or misses most of what I'm looking for.

Revaped UO.com...... I'm just going to shake my head at this one... revamped where it doesn't count... the biggest issue was the Account MisManagement page and all they did with that was make a video trying to get folk able to muddle though the site and all but a great many returning players get so frustrated and can't reactivate their accounts because of this or that and aren't willing to spend 2 or 3 months emailing mesanna back and forth to get it reactivated...

MyUO... doesn't do anything for me at all sorry...

Player Wiki... I'm sorry but I've never been able to really find useful information there like I can here or on UOGuide...

Finished the Virtues... all I can say is it's about (*#*$&$ time... and the Honesty one needs a toggle so when I have to go buy something stupid like hay for the chicken lizard or something I don't have to suffer massive penalty... and have to go searching for crap again...

BOD Update... long overdue but the point system is CRAP.

Pet Revamp... Nice start... needs more work... sadly will likely be nerfed into oblivion and uselessness because of PvP because they can't seem to separate the two things... making it back to the old GD for everything... and even that will be crippled more because of it...

DEV Meets and newsletter... Well considering all that BULL that's on their website it's the "least" they can do to communicate and even then it can be summed up in about 3 things... Email me... (I'll ignore it most the time and never acknowledge you sent anything), We'll add that to some obscure list that will never see the light of day, or HELL NO... go away and don't speak logic to me before I crush to ash...

Forum... believe that line of ($(#$()& when I see it... besides we all know how that'll work... if you don't :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader: You will be ignored and then banned also banning your accounts from UO...

F2P... will destroy the already F'd economy and kill the game... "Nail Coffin"...

20th I'm looking forward to... Sadly it'll likely be the last and a major disappointment like the 15th... a serious landmark that wasn't...

As for what you call negatives... the only thing on that list that I feel is a real negative... is the lack of high rez art... As for the rest of the things on that list the more they ignore the holidays and get away from giving us gifts for them the less reason I have to log in and the less i have to look forward to... without those I'd log in next to never... UO isn't ready for STEAM... if it were put there now with the lack of a NPE and all it would be chastised and hated more than ever... the game is FAR too complicated and complex to put on Steam without a NPE... I pity new players today... and I wonder how many log in walk around for 10 min and go WTF..... and never come back... Dead shards as you call it are probably what keep some folk actually playing where they can go somewhere without being continually harassed by other players with anti-social attitudes... I know several guilds who have left more populated shards for some more quiet ones just so they could play in peace... lack of lore????? I think they try... at least I know Malachi does... I'd never fault him for that.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Thanks @Deraj

As I've been reading, people are missing the point.
As usual.

meh.

:popcorn: