• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thanks Dev Team

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I don't say much on the forums anymore... but I just wanted to say thanks to the Broadsword's UO dev squad.

I've been reading through the last few pub notes, and the amount of work the devs have been doing shows. Yeah, there are things that ppl don't like or need tweaks, but honestly, they are doing a pretty decent job.

Knowing how code-work is, I think they are doing a rather decent job keeping the hamsters running.

Thanks.
@Kyronix @Bleak
let the other devs know... I dunno all their names

*edit - didn't call out Bonnie as she's more the boss. :p

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few examples of how they are doing a "rather decent job" ?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This thread is for the :cheerleader:. In reality we all know it's rather mediocre job and that Mesanna is heavily biased towards certain areas/groups of the game.
Like the areas/groups that generate the most revenue and keep the bills paid? As long as those areas/groups are happy they/we open our wallets and keep the dead presidents flowing. Simple business 101 stuff there.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well as far as I'm concerned we are basically playing on the "Mesanna" Free Server... and it feels that way. And really sadly we PAY for this!

Favoritism to pet groups and people... check

Server go up,... Server go down for no reason.... Check

Random Reverts.... check

Buggy patches and updates.... Check

Favoritism of various shards with what EM's can and Can not Do..... Check

Random periods where there is NO "Help" when paging.... Check

Need I go on???

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well as far as I'm concerned we are basically playing on the "Mesanna" Free Server... and it feels that way. And really sadly we PAY for this!

Favoritism to pet groups and people... check

Server go up,... Server go down for no reason.... Check

Random Reverts.... check

Buggy patches and updates.... Check

Favoritism of various shards with what EM's can and Can not Do..... Check

Random periods where there is NO "Help" when paging.... Check

Need I go on???
And the lights stay on, the hamsters keep running and the game goes on.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And the lights stay on, the hamsters keep running and the game goes on.
The light would stay on even if EA cancelled the game....
EA would not just close the game, they would sell the rights to it and we all know 1 person that would jump all over it.
In reality, there would be quite a bit of interest when EA finally sell UO.
Until then yes I have to agree, we are playing the "Mesanna, Free to Pay" shard.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Like the areas/groups that generate the most revenue and keep the bills paid? As long as those areas/groups are happy they/we open our wallets and keep the dead presidents flowing. Simple business 101 stuff there.
I only hope those people are as loyal as the longtime players closing accounts left and right. Not to think of having them move on to another game when their is no longer a profit in UO for them :eek:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I only hope those people are as loyal as the longtime players closing accounts left and right. Not to think of having them move on to another game when their is no longer a profit in UO for them :eek:
Sad thing is had the "Team" done more years ago to stop that rampant cheating and such.... if the current "team" would grow a pair... They might get FAR more people returning than they would have to ban to make the game a better place...

But yeah...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I heard something like this before, believe it was when Tram was created and yet here we are. UOs problem is not the product, the producer the Dev team. It is the Marketing and Consumer Presence. Compare UO to RuneScape which is about the same age as UO arguably the biggest cardinal piece of crap MMORPG ever to exist. It has a thriving population runs a months worth of TV/HULU/and other platform adds and maintains a steady population of players, even though people constantly quit. That is where EA/Broadsword fail. There is a certain % of the population that is static and will never quit probably around 15%-20% of the peak population. The other 80%- 85% are the typical game flakes that hop around game to game and are never going to be happy anywhere. The trick whether it is a video game or meat shop is to retain that core static base and attract the transients and retain them for as long as you can. A certain % of the transients will join the core base over time, in my business it runs about 2% per year of those people that become regular loyal customers. UO has a decent core group of loyal customers, they just need to figure out how to get market presence and bring the transients in to cull out the percentage to add to the core customer base. Trying to make the bulk of the transients happy by catering to them (Another mistake EA made in the past with UO) is what cost loyal customers, by trying to make people happy that will never be happy. Hehe they should take my approach more often when a transient customer gets annoying "You are obviously to stupid to be my customer, please get out of here and check out the many other products out there available for you to cry about." Which is the best way to deal with many people because they do more damage to the brand by being a constantly complaining customer than they do as non factor.

What has always amazed me is the number of people that don't even play the game that hit this forum or others and complain about the game.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
EA would not just close the game, they would sell the rights to it and we all know 1 person that would jump all over it.
Until then yes I have to agree, we are playing the "Mesanna, Free to Pay" shard.
EA would never sell the game. They have a long history of shutting down online games and refusing to consider any sort of offer for them. Maybe someone could step up with a free server kinda thing.... but EA will never sell their version of this game. Part of the reason I heard is they have developed technology and have rights involving online games and they will never give that up or share it. We went through all this with Legends of Kesmai and EA wasn't the least bit interested. Others have tried with Motor City Online, Air Warrior etc

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The won't give up an IP even if unused unless the return is substantial. I fear that if official uo dies it will just be free shards.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
The won't give up an IP even if unused unless the return is substantial. I fear that if official uo dies it will just be free shards.
Problem with EA is if it isn't like 30 or 40 million it's not worth their time lol They'd rather kick out the next Madden

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Problem with EA is if it isn't like 30 or 40 million it's not worth their time....
EA let the Fallout franchise go dormant, then sold the IP to Bethseda. EA then got to watch as Bethseda turned Fallout into a money making monster.

After that experience, EA might not want to let an IP go at all. If EA did sell, there might be substantial "What if?" compensation required, just in case the IP turned out to be a potential hit that EA would have missed out on, again.

$30 or $40 million might be low. (What is the Fallout franchise worth now? $1 billion? More?)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
EA let the Fallout franchise go dormant, then sold the IP to Bethseda. EA then got to watch as Bethseda turned Fallout into a money making monster.

After that experience, EA might not want to let an IP go at all. If EA did sell, there might be substantial "What if?" compensation required, just in case the IP turned out to be a potential hit that EA would have missed out on, again.

$30 or $40 million might be low. (What is the Fallout franchise worth now? $1 billion? More?)
Right... so who has that kinda money to throw around? Stratics was lucky to pull off their endeavor lol. It certainly wouldn't be a grass roots thing. It would have to be a big money player. I don't think many would be willing to part with the money they'd want. But your saying there's a chance.... aren't we all wondering a little bit about how long this ride is going to last?

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone needs to do the maths on the current UO income - subscribers x monthly fee = gross income. And then work on that as a starting point for any sale value.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And then there is the possibility of using the EM/GM system to introduce more fee paying activity by players - personalised items BUT with no extra l337 powers. That could spin out a whole bunch of cash

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Of course we are all assuming EA wants UO to make money. That may not be the case at all, I keep one of my subsidiary companies bobbing along at somewhere between a small loss to a small profit for the express purpose of it being a massive tax write off for the very profitable parent Corp. About the only thing that cause me to close that company down is if the tax environment were more friendly. Might very well be the case with UO and a few other titles.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When this game becomes free to play in the fall I wonder if it will continue to survive or just die?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think he is referring to the "endless trial" but that's still just rumours and myth as they haven't mentioned it in a while either.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some version of F2P is inevitable eventually, despite the misnomer F2P is quite profitable and if it goes on a platform that gets it some public exposure................................

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Wasn't a rumored steam release? I was against it before but I think that would grab a lot of people by the eyes.

I am not a fan of f2p, I have spent some sovereigns lately though.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gemstone 4's culture changed dramatically with each of the 'Invasions' of new players when three other online access services were added to the origonal group of GEnie customers over the years and then again when Gemstone play became available on the internet. Every shard is going to find it's world pretty much lost when the swarm of new ftp players rampage in and take over. Our shard realities will become their realities.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wasn't a rumored steam release? I was against it before but I think that would grab a lot of people by the eyes.

I am not a fan of f2p, I have spent some sovereigns lately though.
Steam release aint gonna happen no more.
EA and Steam had a falling out over royalties, which is why EA has released it's own version of Steam...
...also means No EA titles will be appearing on Steam no more.......even crappy old ones that EA cares not one jot about. :sad3:

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I wish EA went back to just games and not pushing political agendas through them. The Soros is strong with the company.. And it showing.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think "thanks" should be sent in the form of an email , making it public like this, is just asking for trouble, and moderation.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If someone wants to toss around xxx mills to own the word "ultima" it's not gonna be for UO, anyway. :p

That said, I would be all for a nice modern open world Ultima game.

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
You know it! When I think political agenda the obvious names that spring to mind: Battlefield, FIFA, and Madden... :tinhat:
Im thinking more Mass Effect and Dragon Age. It was subtle at first.. Well kinda. Then went full on in ME.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im thinking more Mass Effect and Dragon Age. It was subtle at first.. Well kinda. Then went full on in ME.
First of all, if you want to blame someone for DA and ME having "gay stuff" in it then blame BioWare, not EA. That's the studio that makes a point to try to give an option to represent a wide spectrum of gamers. Of course I also don't see how having the option to be gay, or that one trans soldier in DA is ramming something down your throat, but...

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
First of all, if you want to blame someone for DA and ME having "gay stuff" in it then blame BioWare, not EA. That's the studio that makes a point to try to give an option to represent a wide spectrum of gamers. Of course I also don't see how having the option to be gay, or that one trans soldier in DA is ramming something down your throat, but...
Nah it is wasnt that, it is more the space age utopian society theme. Men are all barbarians devoid of any concious resasoning etc. Maybe I look a bit deeper than I should. It started subtly.. The Dragon Age games I just couldnt even play them. Any of them.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nah it is wasnt that, it is more the space age utopian society theme. Men are all barbarians devoid of any concious resasoning etc. Maybe I look a bit deeper than I should. It started subtly.. The Dragon Age games I just couldnt even play them. Any of them.
First one is actually pretty good once you get into it. The rest are kinda garbage.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't say much on the forums anymore... but I just wanted to say thanks to the Broadsword's UO dev squad.

I've been reading through the last few pub notes, and the amount of work the devs have been doing shows. Yeah, there are things that ppl don't like or need tweaks, but honestly, they are doing a pretty decent job.
How is churning out sh*t (albeit in quantity) doing a 'pretty decent job' ??? From where Im sitting (and using stratics as a barometer) they are doing anything but a 'decent job.' I cant believe some of the :cheerleader: that goes on here with no facts to back it up.

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I get so tired of everyone trying to be politically correct. The age of double talk and untruth.
There was a spot in ME 2 where a ship 'crash landed' on a planet. One of the guys you had on your team um knew the captain of the ship. Anyhow, he wound up turning the people who survived into a colony of sex slaves. It been a few years but the whole game was just filled wit lh odd crap that stunk of everybody is a monster and needs government to give them order. Not just order but 'one universe' style order.

The franchise kinda turned into a data mining experiment I think, more like a tool to see what tugs on heart strings of the masses. But that alone is not a bad thing. The goal they have is basically formulating a check list that tells them how to make every game. Basically ME and DA become the next madden franchise. Or battlefield. You might get a stat roster to compare who had sex with whatever alien people and killed the most reapers.

That and starting at the start of ME2 you die. And then a 'secret' project brings you back to life.. And you are supposed to be secret. But everybody in the whole galaxy knows your alive from the very moment you bump into other people. The games were pretty much poorly written social experiments, like all my posts. That said, I did have a lot of fun with ME2 for some reason.

I also tried dragon age, i gave it away. Could not get into it. Meowing in UO is much more my speed. No real story unless I want it.. And the game is just better, bugs glitches and the cast of characters. Now the graphics..

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Everyone, please refrain from further real world political discussion... there was a Stratics rule made prohibiting that last year during the US Presidential election, the announcement about it can be found here: Political discussions on Stratics.

Thank you.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A few examples of how they are doing a "rather decent job" ?
Hrmm, I got one.

Vendor Search, granted (imo) it's the best thing that we've gotten in terms of usefulness and functionality in quite some time.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IMO Endless Journey will kill UO... I can see it now... bad enough we have endless bots strip mining and lumberjacking.... and everything else they can bot... bad enough we have to deal with endless numbers of multiboxers... wait till they can get all that stuff FOR FREE..... to drive the prices of crap down even more... and gather and sell gold even cheaper...

And who is going to join and play a game that is so overly complex and has convoluted rules that apply to one thing but not another... there are at LEAST 3 different quest systems alone... turning in items to an NPC has at least 2 or 3 various ways...

Not to mention the economy is so dorked that many returning players and such are seriously baffled coming back and quickly dismayed..... especially when they go out and kill things in haven and get like 12 gold... go to Luna and find prices just for something like a runebook are 12,000 or more... and they think christ I'll never afford anything in this game!!!!

I've heard it over and over and over again... and they claim they are building a new player experience and all but that's not going to help the insanity of all the half done garbage in the land. It's not going to help them when they meet all the horrible attitudes of many current players... I mean face it... go into Gen Chat and ask someone for help like a newb would... some of the responses I've seen it's a wonder anyone returns and stays more than a day or two...

And if they get past all that to the endless grinding that UO has become... they will go back to something with a heck of a lot more FUN... than the 1 night a week EM Event to look forward to. Just my opinion.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Hrmm, I got one.

Vendor Search, granted (imo) it's the best thing that we've gotten in terms of usefulness and functionality in quite some time.
That's true, but it's been quite some time since that was released since that was in early 2014.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's true, but it's been quite some time since that was released since that was in early 2014.
Right, it was also something that was basically universally wanted with all players though as well.

It's unlikely actual player-engaged content or balancing would get the same praise.

I'm also not trying to say that Vendor Search is the only "good" thing the devs have done, but it is indeed difficult to find something that is as widely excepted, despite some of the problems Vendor Search has/had.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I started a toon on Origin to learn pet training before using it on Siege. I was amazed it would teleport you to the vendor! wow thats a nice feature

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If someone wants to toss around xxx mills to own the word "ultima" it's not gonna be for UO, anyway.
Agreed. I was thinking more along the lines of having to purchase the entire Ultima IP, including UO. Then said purchaser would be able develop the property in whatever manner they chose, across whatever medium(s) they chose, using the Ultima name, and it wouldn't even have to be anything like what we all think of as Ultima or UO.

EA spent something like $30 million for Origin, closed the revered gaming studio, and used the name for an E-Store. Where is that face palm icon again?

Richard Garriott did an interview a while ago where he talked about negotiating with EA to use the Ultima IP again, as he was beginning to work on the "Ultimate" RPG. He couldn't come to terms with EA and the "Ultimate" RPG became Shroud of the Avatar.

Now, if the guy who created the property (and had enough to spend $20 million USD to go to space) can't reach a deal with EA........

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Never quite understood why we could not have that option of Siege.
Probably because Siege doesn't have recall at all, only gate travel. When you teleport using vendor search your character still says "Kal Ort Por" like the normal recall spell. It most likely doesn't work without recall being an option on that shard.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
tldr;

The Developers crank out code and art and do what they are told. You guys have issues with game and business operations, well.. then yes, you can call it a "Mesanna Game" if you wish. She's the boss so yeah, I'd say is her game.... and if she wants it this way or that way, it is the Dev Squad that makes it happen (by deadline).

My kudos go to the geeks sitting and staring at lines and lines of code in an IDE that is probably ancient and to the creatives who are making "new art" which we are constantly griping about, but yet eventually accept. Sometimes when I see something in game, I am inspired to fire up my old closet server and tinker as well... then reality hits me and I have to go make some money to pay my bills (as well as my UO subscriptions).

I know by paying, the geeks and creatives realize the appreciation. I just think sometimes they need to see/hear it... publicly.

(and now I'll tell you what I really think...)
...uh... wow...

Despite how some feel about certain things (pheonix, need for more testing on taming, other snafus) the DEVELOPERS and CODERS are doing a good job. Publicly thanking them is worthwhile as (lo! look!) it does bring up some of the nit-picky yet important customer issues that they may want to take a better look at. They still deserve a personal and public thanks - or none of us would be here. Wed be over on some other forum pancakes and complaining about some other game(s). :p

Truth is, to code a product that is being consumed by subscribers on a consistent basis is a feat in this day and age. With most games being F2P with micro-transactions, the venerable UO is still able to draw in (if miniscule) new clients. Just helped one the other day. And how did this new client hear of UO? He staggered here upon Stratics (followed an old link looking for WoW content). He got curious, read the good, and the bad, and said, "Hey, this might be a challenge." He is working on an archer/tamer template.

I like the convoluted systems - makes a person think. I like the hullaballoo created with each publish cycle - makes for entertainment while I'm on break at work or between classes. I adore my "****ty graphics" in the 2D game, my aging eyes can actually see what I'm doing.

And I publicly want the devs to know that there are some (if few) who really do appreciate their hours of deciphering the old code, keeping it ticking, and still be able to put out new stuff (even if the majority of subscribers get all up in a wad over it). I've tinkered in the "free shard" code in the past and I understand a wee bit of what they are dealing with. Knowing they are bound by corporate obligations, deadlines, and what not.. well, my hat is off to them. I wish I could make it to the anniversary party to say so face to face. Alas, I am a poor undergraduate. Maybe for the 25th.. :D

Now... insofar as the COMPANY of Broadsword and their practices, I lament the lack of marketing and community interaction on the grander scale. Its the 20th year of the game, shouldn't they be celebrating at E3, showing up those newer games? I'd jump on an opportunity to display there and get some much necessary exposure! Tag it, "20 years and still here! Ultima Online, the grand-daddy of MMOs!" Or whatever.

Seriously - I have deep issues with the business practices and direction (am not a :cheerleader:).

And in particular with the serious lack of marketing and consumer relations. EMs (as a whole) rarely post to FB. The direction for any marketing is nil. There seems to be no concept of a target market, and it looks like Broadsword cannot even pay for small loop advertising on ad-banks. Sadly, that is the least expensive ad venue there is and they aren't even doing it. Steam won't happen UNLESS Broadsword totally takes over the IP and copyright of Ultima, and that will never happen. What other way can UO (and other Broadsword title(s)) get more and new subscriptions?

OMG... MARKETING

But then, I am biased in that respect, for that is what I am.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hrmm, I got one.

Personally I saw that as one of the very things which kills UO.
So easy now for Atlantic tourists to pillage a shard without even having to know where shops are.
Where is the exploration now for the new player? the joy of finding a shop in the middle of nowhere...

No, Vendor search is one of the very things which killed UO....along with Transfer tokens.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally I saw that as one of the very things which kills UO.
So easy now for Atlantic tourists to pillage a shard without even having to know where shops are.
Where is the exploration now for the new player? the joy of finding a shop in the middle of nowhere...

No, Vendor search is one of the very things which killed UO....along with Transfer tokens.
That goes both ways, it also reduces the time that fairly priced items remain on vendors (all shards).

vendor search didn't cause most people to migrate to Atlantic, as mass-migration already occurred before vendor search was even a thing. (in-game)

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not only was that a while ago, but there are still some fairly obnoxious bugs in it.

Such as:
  • random downtimes
  • vendors showing stock that doesn't exist
  • vendors that don't exist
  • randomly saying "your search was too vague" even though it worked just fine a few minutes prior, and still works just fine on another character
  • etc.