[Magery] template questions

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
R

renojiin

Hi all!

This is my first post on the forums here, but I regret that it is a template question. My current mage template is:

120 magery
110 evaluating intelligence
110 meditation
100 inscription
100 resisting spells
100 wrestling

100 str
10 dex
125 int

armor:
mr2
lmc 25 (35 with scrappers)
60+ for all resists
no shield for potions

The other skill points are pretty much free at this point. I recently gm'd wrestling, but it doesn't seem to help as much as I thought it might, or as much as I was hoping. My question is what should I do with the remaining points? I'm thinking of taking up eval and med higher, but for most of what I fight 100 resist is fine (could probably even be lower) and 100 wrestle doesnt seem to help much up close anyway.

I'm sort of down about this character too, which makes it harder to decide, as it seems that anything worth fighting is essentially 2x energy vortex > invis > loot > repeat. I loved training the skill, when I was always on the run casting stuff; now its almost as if eval goes to waste since i mostly cast heals or summons :(

I'm open to any suggestions, as well as alternate areas to hunt that I could maybe use my run and gun tactics more. Thanks!

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 18, 2006
Sweden, Home of the brave.
Resist and wrestling are PvP skills. You dont need them in PVE/PVM.
You would be better of adding Barding, taming, Spellweave/ necro etc.

A

AkilikA

My template stands like this:
120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Med
120 Resist Spells
120 Wrestle
120 Anatomy

Stats i cant fully recall, but the important one is Dex at 101 for this template
This works for both PvE, PvM, PvP

With this template there's not very many melee-ers which can match me.
One if you are using a weapon and get close I'll disarm you. If you are shooting arrows at me, I'll dodge it (120 eval and 120 anat = 120 dodge) and then charge you and disarm you too.
Oh and BTW, my resists are only in the 50s

Now with wrestling, unless your dexterity is above 100.0 (meaning 100.1 or above) is pretty useless cause you are not attacking (blocking) quick enough. With a dex of 100.1 or higher you'll be at 1.25 secs per hit/block. (assuming you don't have SSI)
Once your dex is above 100 you'll see a total change in the way wrestle behaves. Most of the time I dont even need to use the spell protection cause of the speed at which i attack or block. The only time I have to use protection is PvPing another mage and at that point it's mute anyway cause both mages would have it on.

Now I swap out Anatomy with inscription because of the obvious benefits of the SDI and spellbook creation.

Other than that, i won't use any shield until they make "Mage Armor" available and I have MR of 14 and SR 9

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
THE GREAT STATE OF WISCONSIN
My template stands like this:
120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Med
120 Resist Spells
120 Wrestle
120 Anatomy

Stats i cant fully recall, but the important one is Dex at 101 for this template
This works for both PvE, PvM, PvP

With this template there's not very many melee-ers which can match me.
One if you are using a weapon and get close I'll disarm you. If you are shooting arrows at me, I'll dodge it (120 eval and 120 anat = 120 dodge) and then charge you and disarm you too.
Oh and BTW, my resists are only in the 50s

Now with wrestling, unless your dexterity is above 100.0 (meaning 100.1 or above) is pretty useless cause you are not attacking (blocking) quick enough. With a dex of 100.1 or higher you'll be at 1.25 secs per hit/block. (assuming you don't have SSI)
Once your dex is above 100 you'll see a total change in the way wrestle behaves. Most of the time I dont even need to use the spell protection cause of the speed at which i attack or block. The only time I have to use protection is PvPing another mage and at that point it's mute anyway cause both mages would have it on.

Now I swap out Anatomy with inscription because of the obvious benefits of the SDI and spellbook creation.

Other than that, i won't use any shield until they make "Mage Armor" available and I have MR of 14 and SR 9
To the OP:

Completely disregard this template advice. It is not smart, practical, or accurate.

N

NickyDishes

yes i agree...listen to lynk and read some past threads on some advice with the template u are seeking...I have tried all types of mages and my favorite has to be with Necro mage....i run the 6x necro mage...well only 105 necro cause only been playing 13 months,but i have switched my mages temp so many times and by far the best balance for pvp and pvm/pve is the necro mage in my opinion...i liked the one temp NOX tank mage i made, he had:
120 magery
120 eval
120 fencing
120 resist
120 med
100 poisoning

i really enjoyed this template a lot. fencing acted as my defense and i could leathal poison with my kryss. i used a sc kryss with no -1 fc penalty with ssi, hld, and hit lightning. If i was up against a dexer i would cast protection and melee while i casted spells on them and used infectious to lethal poison them....then if i was fighting a mage i would run up leathal poison them first, then do spell combos on them while they dealt and wondered what i was running lol. I really missed out on not having necro on him and wished i could fit it on top of all that but u only get so many skill points...and ur melee skill gotta be 120 these days...some people would say go tactics instead of poisoning but then u cant lethal poison and u need 90 poisoning in order to poison with a weapon to perform infectious. Fun template but i didnt feel comfortable with it enough to not put necro and ss back on him. wish u could still do infectious if u have a mage weapon unfortunately things dont work like that lol...then i wouldnt even need fencing i could use a mage weapon and put necro and ss back on him that would rock!!!!!

R

renojiin

To the OP:

Completely disregard this template advice. It is not smart, practical, or accurate.
Thanks, Lynk.

I am aware that the post was a troll post; no point for anat and wrestle, as they do the same thing; "mage armor" shields exist as spell channel shields, dex is only in integer values; swing speed is based on stamina, not dex.

I tried removing resist and wrestle for 105 music and peacing (its what my bard/tamer had). I found that at those levels its not useful on higher level spawn; it could be ok I suppose, but I am uncertain.

Maybe I'm just slow, but I dont quite understand what benefits spellweaving gives, other than a heal over time, and a self-rez, am I missing something important? I am also similarly uncertain about necromancy.

I see everyone saying that resist isnt useful for pvm, but I am not quite certain I agree; is this said because of apples, petals and potions/bless? I find resist to be invaluable because of those things, maybe its because I dont currently have a source of those items, other than potions.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
I can't really comment on the usefulness of resist for a Mage in PvM, because the only PvM I ever do is solo peerless bosses on my Samurai and I don't have it.

Most high end mobs are casters and whenever I'm getting keys for dreadhorns I get mana vamped constantly, would be pretty annoying if I was a caster.

People like spellweaving because of the rediculous damage you can do with Word of Death. Also, pixies are nice if something is tanking the damage already.

A

AkilikA

Well everything I used comes right off of stratics and unless stratics is completely wrong...
And I do Agree that Anatomy could be swapped out for parry or posioning or something else..
I use Anatomy for 2 purposes one the dodge factor (go back and read the eval anat examples in startics), and I dumped extra skill points into healing as I use sticher's mittens and enhanced bandies for the extra small heals I need to survive and the occasional big heal i can get lucky with.

And oh yea, Unless an item states it's "Mage Armor" it isn't...
Try it, med with a shield and with out.. with you'll be quite a bit slower meding with a shield on

Spell channeling is so that the weapon/shield does not drop out of you hands when u cast....

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Well everything I used comes right off of stratics and unless stratics is completely wrong...
Stratics is right, your interpretation is wrong.
And I do Agree that Anatomy could be swapped out for parry or posioning or something else..
I use Anatomy for 2 purposes one the dodge factor (go back and read the eval anat examples in startics), and I dumped extra skill points into healing as I use sticher's mittens and enhanced bandies for the extra small heals I need to survive and the occasional big heal i can get lucky with.
There is no point to having Anatomy and wrestling. Anatomy/Eval is something you use instead of wrestling, not in conjunction. (120 eval + 100 anatomy + 20) / 2 = 120 wrestling. (in terms of natural defense) Of course without the wrestling you cannot disarm/stun punch.

And oh yea, Unless an item states it's "Mage Armor" it isn't...
Try it, med with a shield and with out.. with you'll be quite a bit slower medding with a shield on

Spell channeling is so that the weapon/shield does not drop out of you hands when u cast....
Incorrect. Spell Channeling is a mod used for weapons and sheilds. To try this, equip spell channeling weapon or sheild and use the meditation skill. They are medable and have no negative impact on your mana regeneration. Though you are correct in the sense that it also allows you to cast without them dropping.

A

AkilikA

As for the template...well it works for me..

As for the shield... (if u want, drop everything but the shield)

1. do a mana dump with a shield and passively recharge and time it.
2. do a mana dump without a shield and passively recharge and time it... come back with your relsults...

when I do it, I med (passively or actively) almost twice as fast without a shield

C

Chaosy

Spell channeling shields do not affect meditation. I think you're just tricking your mind into thinking they do.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 18, 2006
Sweden, Home of the brave.
Well one thing is for sure. you really dont want both wrestling and Anatomy onless you have healing and then you should drop wrestling any way.