Template advice plus

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
R

ronfar

So I have been gone for quite sometime, years! Alot has changed but ive been doing my research for my new build on my mage, but id like some advice. please. Particularly Mr. GFY as you seem to know this stuff very well.

This will be almost completely a PVM char, maybe some PVP just for giggles with my brothers.
100 Str 20 dex and rest in INT. (should i drop another 10 str?)

100 magery/120 with crystal ring
100 med (is 120 that big a diff with necro to boot?)
55necro/ 60 with bloodwood
110 SS/ 120 with bloodwood
120 EI
110 res (does anothet 10 make that big a difference?)
120 wrestling.

my planned gear should put my in a 30+ LMC range, LRC of course, 2/6 FC/FCR, with sdi in the 40ish range.

big questions
1. I figured that amount of necro would let me use wraith form for mana regen when i need it. Am I really missing out on anything important by not going higher into necro?

2. at 110 resist, will that be good for most situations or do I really need to go 120? Same question for Med.

3. FC is capped at 2 correct? never found a definitive answer for this.

4. Kinda general question, what the heck is a soulstone, how do the work, and where does on get these things? Red soul stone from vet reward? (says its a house deco).

Thanks a bunch guys! Hope that wasnt too much.

X

Xizz

So I have been gone for quite sometime, years! Alot has changed but ive been doing my research for my new build on my mage, but id like some advice. please. Particularly Mr. GFY as you seem to know this stuff very well.

This will be almost completely a PVM char, maybe some PVP just for giggles with my brothers.
100 Str 20 dex and rest in INT. (should i drop another 10 str?)

100 magery/120 with crystal ring
100 med (is 120 that big a diff with necro to boot?)
55necro/ 60 with bloodwood
110 SS/ 120 with bloodwood
120 EI
110 res (does anothet 10 make that big a difference?)
120 wrestling.

my planned gear should put my in a 30+ LMC range, LRC of course, 2/6 FC/FCR, with sdi in the 40ish range.

big questions
1. I figured that amount of necro would let me use wraith form for mana regen when i need it. Am I really missing out on anything important by not going higher into necro?

2. at 110 resist, will that be good for most situations or do I really need to go 120? Same question for Med.

3. FC is capped at 2 correct? never found a definitive answer for this.

4. Kinda general question, what the heck is a soulstone, how do the work, and where does on get these things? Red soul stone from vet reward? (says its a house deco).

Thanks a bunch guys! Hope that wasnt too much.
Can drop 10dex for 10 more str, or 5/5 str/int.
2str=1hp.
Aslong as you have 120 int.

1. If you just want to use necro for wraith form, 30 should be enough. What you miss out by just having it at 60 is wither, strangle and poison strike. Wither is incredible in pvm but earthquake and chain light/meteor swarm works to so..you miss out a little but not that much.

2. 100 med is enough. I dont know the numbers but from my experience the extra 20 for leg aint worth it.
For PvM 110 resist is enough. For PvP, at the very least 115. Less than that ain't worth it.

3. FC is capped at 2 for magery and necro and 4 for chivalry and spellweaving.

4. Aye, can either get a soulstone as a veteran reward or from a legacy token (the ones at uogamecodes.com). It is an item in which a character can store a single skill, then later transfer that skill to another character on the same account (stolen from uoguide.com :p).

G

GFY

Thanks for the complement. I've studied magery under a couple of the best mages on Atlantic. I'm just glad to pass along some of the knowledge they past to me.

If your truely into necromancy you should probably go all the way.

Magery 120
Med 120 (The extra 20 points is really worth it) I have 115 and 11 mana regen on one of my mages and I never run out of mana.
Eval 120
Resist 120
Necro 120 (105 for never fail wither)
SS 120

You'll need a mage weapon for your defensive skill. (this prevents any monster or player from being next to you and hitting you EVERY DANG TIME! :gun: ) Staff of the Magi is a very good choice but any mage weapon will do. (a mage weapon uses your magery skill for defense instead of a weapon skill or wrestling) As long as you use jewelry to make up for any minuses in magery.

You could try to get your LMC to 40 (less mana used per spell is a very good thing!)

I like the extra points in resist. I hate being paralyzed or having necro de-buff spells cast on me last forever :cursing:

If your really into PVM there is a new (For you anyway! :p J/K!) template that you may want to look into. A Spellweaver is one of the best (IMHO of course) templates for PVM at the moment. Get a monster down below 1/2 to 3/4 health and blast them with 400+ point word of death spellweaving spell! The spellweaving spells are mana heavy but good mana management makes them very effective in PVM.

If you have any more questions I'm always glad to PM!

R

ronfar

for all the info guys. Couple of questions.

I guess im not super committed to necro because i just dunno whats the big advantages of having it. Wraith form seems to be the biggest boon, and you can have that at 30 in necro. Maybe you guys could fill me in on that.

Also, if i do decide to try the 30 necro build, does SS even affect wraith form? If not is it silly to put it in the template?

So id have to drop my wrestling (which was apain to raise up =p ) and get a mage weapon. I wanted to avoid that in order to use some super slayers and what not. Do you think its over all worth it to loose that damage increase for the benefits of necro.

Spellweaving: how hard is it to raise up, i dont think i have it in me to do another magery grind =p.

thanks again!

5% Luck

Well if you have -20- necro you can "hold" wrath form. To cast relyably 30 is bare minimum 40 is good and human jack of all trade bonus can hold the form with zero(20JoaT) skill. You can drop on an extra 15 necro+ item just to cast once the swap in for your regular jewlery(yes this still works as minimums 20).

Spirit speak determins the amount of leeching the wraith form does. Very kool to have higher.

Id have to say the most important thing to a necro is corps skinn! -20 fire and poison resist on your target and the duration is based on SS. This will make your fire based magery spells do ALOT more damage. If you equip a slayer spell book ohh man! get ready tp get call the fire dept!:gun: The draw back is it raises the phys and cold resist BY THE SAME AMOUNT! Not many necros know this and when the target has lower cold then fire and they still up and corpskinn them uggg RIKITOR!. Annyhow..

The next thing is wither.(100% cast=100 skill) Wither spell for spell is EQs equal. and much beter then meteor storm or chain lightning BUT it cost a heck of alot less mana! Awesome and IMO is the 2nd best spell in game damage wize.

Animate dead cost zero followers(max 3 ata time) to have and combined with magery summons you can compete with a tamer in your own way! Too Kool!

Soul stones are great. You can deposit skill on them for storage AND transfer it to ANY char on the SAME account! They are account bound once the token/vet reward is used/taken. Never buy a soul stone that inst in token form. Fragments are just as good but have limited uses. Full SSs do not have a limit but only one skill can be held by either at one time!

The next thing I do is I carry a 0 mage weapon and various books. I swap as the situation changes. If theres a lot of mobs I use the mage wep if not the appropriate book.

Persnaly I hate spel weaving but it is very nice in one aspect WORD OF DEATH. That one spell will cost you 120 SP. There are no SW skill bonus items so it must be real raw skill. Theres no way around it and that is the only spell that I find usefull. And yes with it you can hang out and heal people/pets untill the last minut and still get rights on a hard boss.300+ damage in 1 spell! Sweet but one spell for that many SP is to me ridicules!

S

Sirus_Europa

My necro mage is

120 magery
120 eval
110 necro
100 spirit
110 resist
80 anatomy
80 meditation

I've got people telling me that I don't need resist and should drop it. This feels strange to me...

C

Chaosy

I didn't read the entire thread, but just browsing through I saw some things that were stated wrong:

105 necromancy is required to not fizz strangle (not wither - wither is already 100% at this point).

Corpse skin drops fire and poison by 15, not 20.

G

GFY

My necro mage is

120 magery
120 eval
110 necro
100 spirit
110 resist
80 anatomy
80 meditation

I've got people telling me that I don't need resist and should drop it. This feels strange to me...
Resist can be dropped, but it needs to be accounted for by players. What I mean is you need to carry trapped boxes to counter paralyze spells, petals to counter poison spells, and magic apples to counter curse spells. It all depends on the template (If you have room for it or not) and play style. (weather you can use all the necessary equipment)

B

BajaKurgan

I hope ronfar doesn't mind me hi-jacking this thread...

I just came back after 3+ years away and want to take advantage of this 400+ word of death PvM spell!

What is my best template for this?

Here is my current template...

Magery - 110
Meditation - 120
Focus - 110
Wrestling - 120
Eval - 110
Resist – 85.6

Thanks in advance,

Kurgan

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 14, 2008
Oklahoma (yes it is a state)
Easiest change would be to drop focus and put on 110 spellweaving. Load up on SDI and LMC items and get the highest level of focus you can get. Depending on shard and guild that can either be easy or almost impossible to get a high level focus.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Oct 21, 2008
Baltimore, MD
taylorvsmith.com
Have you looked into spellweaving at all? Necro/Weaver/Mage is currently a top damager in the game.

Here's my template:

120 Magery (really only need 115 for pvm)
120 Meditation
120 Eval Int
120 SS
110 Necro (never need to go higher than this for pvm)
120 Spellweaving

When I go to fel, I soulstone weaving for 120 resist. Seriously, though, weaving is a powerful skill.

G

GFY

If your looking for a well balanced template I'd try this;

Magery 120
Med 120
Eval 120
Resist 120
Wrestle 120
Spellweaving 120

This gives you a very well rounded template. You have magery and spellweaving for offense and wrestling and resist for defense. You can carry nice slayer spell books and you don't need to worry about having a mage weapon disarmed at the worst moment.

A

Asahina Yajinden

My necro mage is

120 magery
120 eval
110 necro
100 spirit
110 resist
80 anatomy
80 meditation

forgive the ignorance... but what is the 80 anat? i thought i read somthing about anat and 120 tactics = some defense formula.

i'm new to running a mage and just added necro to the temp and am trying to decide on a defnsive strategy...
does this setup allow u to keep a shield, and spell book equipped?

my temp is
120 magery,med, eval,SS, 105 necro and 110 mag resist....
other than strangle 100% success at 105 necro is there any reason to go higher?

C

Chaosy

forgive the ignorance... but what is the 80 anat? i thought i read somthing about anat and 120 tactics = some defense formula.
(anat + eval + 20) / 2 = defense

So if you have legendary anat and eval, you have the equivalent of 130 defensive skill, which is sort of like wrestling but without the ability to perform the specials or hit for damage.

G

gjohnson5

(anat + eval + 20) / 2 = defense

So if you have legendary anat and eval, you have the equivalent of 130 defensive skill, which is sort of like wrestling but without the ability to perform the specials or hit for damage.
Does eval really help mages avoid warrior attacks?

B

BajaKurgan

Have you looked into spellweaving at all? Necro/Weaver/Mage is currently a top damager in the game.
I'm committed to the Necro/Weaver/Mage template, but have little to no experience with Necro or Weaving spells...

Can you provide examples of spell combination's that make it a "top damager"?

Like what's the Necro/Weaver/Mage's bread and butta'?

Here's my template:

120 Magery (really only need 115 for pvm)
120 Meditation
120 Eval Int
120 SS
110 Necro (never need to go higher than this for pvm)
120 Spellweaving
This is the exact template that I'm going for.
I will be dropping Wrestling and Resist for SS, and Necro, although I plan to take Necro to 120, because I don't see any benefit in using the 10 skill points anywhere else.
I'm really not to worried about loosing wrestling and Resists as it just means I will have to move around a little more and carry the proper accoutrements.