• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tanking Fallen Warriors. How do people do it?

• Thread starter BadManiac
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
B

BadManiac

In Dark Moonglow I see people tanking Fallen Warriors, just stand there toe to toe, taking next to no damage, and easily taking down the warriors solo.

When I try, here's what happens:
-Poison (unless I eat orange petal)
-Hit for 44 HP
-FS,FS combo doing 20HP each (anyone else get these? 2 FS within 0.1 seconds or so)
-Hit for 44HP
-Explo for the rest when I try to escape
"o00oo0o"

All in the space of under 2 seconds, less time than it taks to apply a bandage. This is with 119 HP and all 70 resists (ok 68 fire, rest 70)

I kill them as easy as anyone else, I hit the warriors for between 90 to 120, so I can take them down. It's just if they target me I die, so I have to hide behind a dragon or someone else tanking them.

What am I doing wrong?

G

I wonder this as well. I'm all 70's and GM resist. Plus as a Chiv archer with high dex and 110 Healing I heal in 4 ticks and cure even faster. But I sure as heck can't stand toe to toe with these beasties.

K

Kratos Aurion

<blockquote><hr>

I wonder this as well. I'm all 70's and GM resist. Plus as a Chiv archer with high dex and 110 Healing I heal in 4 ticks and cure even faster. But I sure as heck can't stand toe to toe with these beasties.

[/ QUOTE ]

HPR suit, pixie swatter, vampire form (generally what I see)

but then again ive also seen people who solo with out swatters and it leads me to wonder as well.

G

My Sampire tanks them one on one with little problem using a Pixie Swatter. He hits for 120-130 damage and leeches 20+ HitPts back each hit.

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
enemy of one and the overseer blade, still take a bit of a beating but smack em around nice

G

I also use the sampire template....

thats 120 parry 120 weapon 120 bushido and enough necro to cast vampiric embrace. (35 necro)

I hit for over 100 with the pixie swatter, and between healing and the life leech from vampire embrace, they are easy kills, but 2 is a problem.

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

In Dark Moonglow I see people tanking Fallen Warriors, just stand there toe to toe, taking next to no damage, and easily taking down the warriors solo.

When I try, here's what happens:
-Poison (unless I eat orange petal)
-Hit for 44 HP
-FS,FS combo doing 20HP each (anyone else get these? 2 FS within 0.1 seconds or so)
-Hit for 44HP
-Explo for the rest when I try to escape
"o00oo0o"

All in the space of under 2 seconds, less time than it taks to apply a bandage. This is with 119 HP and all 70 resists (ok 68 fire, rest 70)

I kill them as easy as anyone else, I hit the warriors for between 90 to 120, so I can take them down. It's just if they target me I die, so I have to hide behind a dragon or someone else tanking them.

What am I doing wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

On my paladin (with pixie swatter) I kill them in 2-3 hits...

they don't have enough time to kill me =)

B

BadManiac

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]That would mean you hit them for 500-700 HP per hit... I want whatever you're taking!

S

slasherofveils

having a swampie helps for extra damage reduc, well as vamp form for leeching.

only prob I have with tanking em toe to toe is since their melee hits so hard, it kills your sta quick and with the swatter you have no sta or mana leeching

I

imported_kinney42

<blockquote><hr>

they don't have enough time to kill me =)

[/ QUOTE ]

That is Laughable.

G

120 Swords
120 Bushido
120 Chiv

all 70's suit

Using Pixie Swatter and pots

I

imported_NBG

another way to kill it as a mage is to do off screen explosion.

run in with explosion pre casted cast then run out if you are off screen
when it hits any monster type it won't aggro......

When using a Sampire, use momentum strike if there is 2 on ya works really well if you have pixie swatter. Always try to get honor going. Even though you are maxed on damage increase, you will get all your stam and mana back when you kill the fallen warrior.

I

imported_Trebr Drab

I wonder if the Devs see a balance issue here?

G

Ya, they (developers) realise bushido vampires can't take out beserkers from across the fence like dragons can....

Also, for stamina, use bushido to regen health/stamina w/ confidence and use stam pots if needed.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 Weapon/Parry
100 Tactics/Anatomy/Resist
90 Healing/Chiv
+
116Str/121 HP's
145Dex/161 Stamina
58 Mana
+
Purple Petal
Greater Strength Pots
+
All 70's
+
EoO
CS
+

= Standing Toe-to-Toe with these guys. I rarely have to run.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
nice freaking sword dam i could stand toe to toe with that at my side

I

imported_Lundan

I'm running a Necro Paladin, 120 Fencing with Pixie Swatter, Vamp Embrace, &amp; high HP Regen, all 70's suit. Hitting for about 130-150 per swing. They get a few hits in, but they do drop pretty quickly.

I

imported_Hanna

<blockquote><hr>

thats 120 parry 120 weapon 120 bushido and enough necro to cast vampiric embrace. (35 necro)..

[/ QUOTE ]It takes 99 necro to cast vamp, 30 max from jewelry,5 max from tali, what 20 from arms, thats still only 90, wheres there rest?

I

imported_Hanna

<blockquote><hr>

thats 120 parry 120 weapon 120 bushido and enough necro to cast vampiric embrace. (35 necro)..

[/ QUOTE ]It takes 99 necro to cast vamp, 30 max from jewelry,5 max from tali, what 20 from arms, thats still only 90, wheres there rest?

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can solo a fallen, on my pally archer, magic resist orange petals and a decent 100% fire heavy crossbow, EoE then div fury, followed by a lot of Concecrate and bandages, no necro, no bush with a darkwood set. Oh and no I don't run around.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can solo a fallen, on my pally archer, magic resist orange petals and a decent 100% fire heavy crossbow, EoE then div fury, followed by a lot of Concecrate and bandages, no necro, no bush with a darkwood set. Oh and no I don't run around.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I only semi-tank them (I fight running battles, instead of holding my ground), but here's how I handle them on a melee character that has 200 points in Cart &amp; LP....

First - If possible, attack one that's chasing someone/something else. You'll get in 1-3 hits before they turn their attention to you. Two people working as a team, alternating fetching and killing, rock.

Second - save your mana if you're using a pixie swatter. For me, at least, it's acting as if it were a double slayer - I do the same amount of damage, with or without Enemy of One, and the swatter is 100% fire, which is already its weakest resist, so no need of Consecrate either. I've not noticed a benefit of using Divine Fury for anything other than stam replacement after a couple hard hits.

Third - Don't be afraid to step back after the first time it hits you. When it makes contact, start a bandage AND fall back as it starts, so that when it catches back up to you, it may have hit you for a spell, but you've gotten the bandage done, or nearly so. BTW, I take 39 from them in melee (some only do 29 - don't know why).

Fourth - HPR and DCI are your friends. I'm using a dupre's shield (1 HPR and 5 more HP), Voice of the fallen King (5 HPR), and Totem of the void (another 2 HPR). If you can squeeze them in, Fey Leggings give you 20% DCI in your leg armor slot, and the human-wearable ones that drop on Peerless Bosses Like Melisande &amp; Dreadhorn are fairly common, as ML marties go...

Fifth - if Human, make use of JOAT. Go do the arcanist quest. A human with 0 real skill in Spellweaving can get 4 non-arcanists together, stand on a circle/pentagram/etc. and cast Arcane Circle for a level 5 focus. With a level 5 focus, a 0-skill human with JOAT can cast a Gift of renewal that lasts almost a minute, and gives back about 9-10 HP every 2 seconds! Even better is to get a real arcanist to get a good focus and cast GoR on you, but the 0-skill GoR is something you can do yourself about every 5 minutes (and that level 5 focus will last for about 6 hours).

Last: If a second one (or a fetid essence) looks as if it is about to go after you, LEAVE. Don't mess with fights that got you over a barrel from something else messing with you.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I only semi-tank them (I fight running battles, instead of holding my ground), but here's how I handle them on a melee character that has 200 points in Cart &amp; LP....

First - If possible, attack one that's chasing someone/something else. You'll get in 1-3 hits before they turn their attention to you. Two people working as a team, alternating fetching and killing, rock.

Second - save your mana if you're using a pixie swatter. For me, at least, it's acting as if it were a double slayer - I do the same amount of damage, with or without Enemy of One, and the swatter is 100% fire, which is already its weakest resist, so no need of Consecrate either. I've not noticed a benefit of using Divine Fury for anything other than stam replacement after a couple hard hits.

Third - Don't be afraid to step back after the first time it hits you. When it makes contact, start a bandage AND fall back as it starts, so that when it catches back up to you, it may have hit you for a spell, but you've gotten the bandage done, or nearly so. BTW, I take 39 from them in melee (some only do 29 - don't know why).

Fourth - HPR and DCI are your friends. I'm using a dupre's shield (1 HPR and 5 more HP), Voice of the fallen King (5 HPR), and Totem of the void (another 2 HPR). If you can squeeze them in, Fey Leggings give you 20% DCI in your leg armor slot, and the human-wearable ones that drop on Peerless Bosses Like Melisande &amp; Dreadhorn are fairly common, as ML marties go...

Fifth - if Human, make use of JOAT. Go do the arcanist quest. A human with 0 real skill in Spellweaving can get 4 non-arcanists together, stand on a circle/pentagram/etc. and cast Arcane Circle for a level 5 focus. With a level 5 focus, a 0-skill human with JOAT can cast a Gift of renewal that lasts almost a minute, and gives back about 9-10 HP every 2 seconds! Even better is to get a real arcanist to get a good focus and cast GoR on you, but the 0-skill GoR is something you can do yourself about every 5 minutes (and that level 5 focus will last for about 6 hours).

Last: If a second one (or a fetid essence) looks as if it is about to go after you, LEAVE. Don't mess with fights that got you over a barrel from something else messing with you.

G

I use a true Necro/Warrior to tank them. Necro/Swordsman to be more precise. 110.0 Swords/110.0 Tact/GM Anat/GM Necro/GM SS/GM Focus/90s Healing (Still gaining). Need to get him a 120 Swords PS and turn him Human so he recieves the -10 Special Cost. His Bloodwood Spirit (Which is Owned by him) boosts his Necro to 105.0 and his SS to 110.0

I'm always in Vampire Form, and use Pixie Swatter while riding a GM Shadow Armored Swamp Dragon, all of my Resists are 70 or near it. Before attacking the Fallen Angel, i cast Corpse Skin on him to lower his Fire Resist to -15, my Pixie Swatter does 160-170 damage a hit then. I also cast Curse Weapon so when i hit, i regain 80-85 Health. Even with GM Focus, Ring of the Vile and +15 Stam Regen from Vamp Form, my Stamina can become a problem if i get hit too often, and i swing the Pixie Swatter slow. Having a Dark Wolf helps my Stam some, since they improve your Stam Regen, but they often get killed alot while fighting.

Basically, the trick to tanking a Fallen Angel is Necromancy.

G

I use a true Necro/Warrior to tank them. Necro/Swordsman to be more precise. 110.0 Swords/110.0 Tact/GM Anat/GM Necro/GM SS/GM Focus/90s Healing (Still gaining). Need to get him a 120 Swords PS and turn him Human so he recieves the -10 Special Cost. His Bloodwood Spirit (Which is Owned by him) boosts his Necro to 105.0 and his SS to 110.0

I'm always in Vampire Form, and use Pixie Swatter while riding a GM Shadow Armored Swamp Dragon, all of my Resists are 70 or near it. Before attacking the Fallen Angel, i cast Corpse Skin on him to lower his Fire Resist to -15, my Pixie Swatter does 160-170 damage a hit then. I also cast Curse Weapon so when i hit, i regain 80-85 Health. Even with GM Focus, Ring of the Vile and +15 Stam Regen from Vamp Form, my Stamina can become a problem if i get hit too often, and i swing the Pixie Swatter slow. Having a Dark Wolf helps my Stam some, since they improve your Stam Regen, but they often get killed alot while fighting.

Basically, the trick to tanking a Fallen Angel is Necromancy.

G

Hey Setnaffa, have you seen Vlad's Warfork? He made it with a Valorite Runic Hammer, best mods on a wep i've EVER seen. 50% Lightning/50% Stam Leech/13% HCI/30% SSI/40% Dam Inc if i remember right. Can't remember if it had HLD too, but Mace &amp; Shield Glasses give 30% HLD anyways and don't take a property slot on weps. That Warfork would be PERFECT for my Stealth Assassin.

G

Hey Setnaffa, have you seen Vlad's Warfork? He made it with a Valorite Runic Hammer, best mods on a wep i've EVER seen. 50% Lightning/50% Stam Leech/13% HCI/30% SSI/40% Dam Inc if i remember right. Can't remember if it had HLD too, but Mace &amp; Shield Glasses give 30% HLD anyways and don't take a property slot on weps. That Warfork would be PERFECT for my Stealth Assassin.

G

On my bushido macer, I do 150 a hit with a pixie swatter, a bit more with enemy of one. Fallen have 1,000 hit points, or 1,100 when blessed. They also tend to heal at the end ;P. 7-10 hits should do it.

When you do 150 a hit, there isn't much reason to tank. A first hit pretty much guarantees rights. DCI, Leeches, and Parry. What others have said

On a mage, I do around 180 damage with EXP FS. If I corpse skin, I do around 225.

A greater dragon's firebreath should do around 185 damage, I would imagine. Differs greatly between them, as they have a very large range of Hit Points.

G

On my bushido macer, I do 150 a hit with a pixie swatter, a bit more with enemy of one. Fallen have 1,000 hit points, or 1,100 when blessed. They also tend to heal at the end ;P. 7-10 hits should do it.

When you do 150 a hit, there isn't much reason to tank. A first hit pretty much guarantees rights. DCI, Leeches, and Parry. What others have said

On a mage, I do around 180 damage with EXP FS. If I corpse skin, I do around 225.

A greater dragon's firebreath should do around 185 damage, I would imagine. Differs greatly between them, as they have a very large range of Hit Points.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]*Drools* Wow! Killer (literally and figuratively) WarFork! that's just about the perfect weapon! I'd be willing to switch from a swordsman to a fencer for that.

I've been trying to make a decent Rune Blade with a Verite hammer, but I haven't nailed the right combo yet...SSI 30%, HLD, Hit Lightning/Fireball/harm, Hit Mana Leech, HLA. Not even close actually. I wasted three Verites and 1 Valorite trying to hit what I consider to be the holy grail of a weapon for my Sammy swordsman.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]*Drools* Wow! Killer (literally and figuratively) WarFork! that's just about the perfect weapon! I'd be willing to switch from a swordsman to a fencer for that.

I've been trying to make a decent Rune Blade with a Verite hammer, but I haven't nailed the right combo yet...SSI 30%, HLD, Hit Lightning/Fireball/harm, Hit Mana Leech, HLA. Not even close actually. I wasted three Verites and 1 Valorite trying to hit what I consider to be the holy grail of a weapon for my Sammy swordsman.

I

imported_tnynyn

As a tamer, my greater can barely go toe to toe with these, well sorta. The first one can take down my greater with 80physical 85fire resist to half blood from high 785hp. Then for some weird reason, from the second one on, the fallen only takes down 1/4 of the 785hp...guess it might be that the longer you stay in there the stronger you are?? However my greater cannot solo a deamon beserker alone. Takes me over 40 aids to keep up.

I

imported_tnynyn

As a tamer, my greater can barely go toe to toe with these, well sorta. The first one can take down my greater with 80physical 85fire resist to half blood from high 785hp. Then for some weird reason, from the second one on, the fallen only takes down 1/4 of the 785hp...guess it might be that the longer you stay in there the stronger you are?? However my greater cannot solo a deamon beserker alone. Takes me over 40 aids to keep up.

Yenji Yasagari

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm gonna say........................A sampire can take out most things with ease. Just not finished my ATL one, due to equipment issues, or id be there.

Yenji Yasagari

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm gonna say........................A sampire can take out most things with ease. Just not finished my ATL one, due to equipment issues, or id be there.

L

Lazarus Cain

sammy
parry
dead
*wink wink knudge knudge ...say no more!*
:p

L

Lazarus Cain

sammy
parry
dead
*wink wink knudge knudge ...say no more!*
:p

G

when i'm not killing fallen warriors, i'm soloing dread horn....serious.

G

when i'm not killing fallen warriors, i'm soloing dread horn....serious.

I

imported_Sarphus

I think pretty much any high end pvm dexer could solo a fallen warrior with little difficulty. Some builds would have trouble with 2. Momentum strike would make it easier. Leech dexers probably have it easiest when going toe to toe with these, but I don't think they're overpowered for a few reasons.

The first is that they sacrifice the ability to heal others effectively by sacrificing healing (usually). In other words, they're almost forced to act as an island because they can't really xheal.

The second is that a well played tamer can do most things a leech dexer can do. Your avg tamer will be weaker against single PVM targets than your avg leech dexer, though.

The third is that leech dexers generally have difficulty dealing with areas of high spawn. You have to tread lightly to avoid tanking more damage than you can leech and your only options to get stuff off you are invis potions and running away.

I think it's pretty balanced. I have a very effective leech dexer that can solo DH and prox. He can also solo berz and fallen warriors. I wouldn't dream of using that char for a number of other things in UO, though... he's mostly a 1 trick pony

I

imported_Sarphus

I think pretty much any high end pvm dexer could solo a fallen warrior with little difficulty. Some builds would have trouble with 2. Momentum strike would make it easier. Leech dexers probably have it easiest when going toe to toe with these, but I don't think they're overpowered for a few reasons.

The first is that they sacrifice the ability to heal others effectively by sacrificing healing (usually). In other words, they're almost forced to act as an island because they can't really xheal.

The second is that a well played tamer can do most things a leech dexer can do. Your avg tamer will be weaker against single PVM targets than your avg leech dexer, though.

The third is that leech dexers generally have difficulty dealing with areas of high spawn. You have to tread lightly to avoid tanking more damage than you can leech and your only options to get stuff off you are invis potions and running away.

I think it's pretty balanced. I have a very effective leech dexer that can solo DH and prox. He can also solo berz and fallen warriors. I wouldn't dream of using that char for a number of other things in UO, though... he's mostly a 1 trick pony

I

imported_Lord GOD(GOD)

I'd say pretty much any char in vamp form, any char with parry or anyone using 4/6 chiv to heal can take these easily with or without a pixie swatter.

Oh and an armoured swamp dragon.

I

imported_Lord GOD(GOD)

I'd say pretty much any char in vamp form, any char with parry or anyone using 4/6 chiv to heal can take these easily with or without a pixie swatter.

Oh and an armoured swamp dragon.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
also you can use one of the anhks at the shrine and get 2 more regen for one hour of your choice I have 4 or five of these for my different toons

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
also you can use one of the anhks at the shrine and get 2 more regen for one hour of your choice I have 4 or five of these for my different toons

E

eolsunder1

Here is how you tank a fallen warrior. You use the generic bushido warrior in vamp form.

Using pixie swatter, you use enemy of one and honor them just before you attack.

You are now swinging doing about 110+ a hit. You instantly hit your "EVASION" button. Gives you higher parry chance. If you are laid out normally, you will have 120 weapon skill plus some DCI, along with your 65ish suit. Their physical attacks should be doing about 35-40 a hit.

So, as you hit for 110+, your vamp form is healing alot of damage, boosted by using bandages. If you have extra mana, you will use your samurai ability to gain back some health.

Thats basically what I do. Enemy of one and honor as you engage foe. Instanly hit evasion to take less hits. Use divine fury to make sure you keep swing speed up. Doing 110ish hits, you'll heal pretty good with vamp leech/bandages. Once in a while they will do a combo on you and you'll have to pull out of melee range to heal up some. Usually a combo of melee hit and flamestrikes.

Continue until dead. Don't forget, we aren't tanking them with just some character, we have mana regen high resist suits, using fey slayer, and samurai powers to boost our defense/offense.

E

eolsunder1

Here is how you tank a fallen warrior. You use the generic bushido warrior in vamp form.

Using pixie swatter, you use enemy of one and honor them just before you attack.

You are now swinging doing about 110+ a hit. You instantly hit your "EVASION" button. Gives you higher parry chance. If you are laid out normally, you will have 120 weapon skill plus some DCI, along with your 65ish suit. Their physical attacks should be doing about 35-40 a hit.

So, as you hit for 110+, your vamp form is healing alot of damage, boosted by using bandages. If you have extra mana, you will use your samurai ability to gain back some health.

Thats basically what I do. Enemy of one and honor as you engage foe. Instanly hit evasion to take less hits. Use divine fury to make sure you keep swing speed up. Doing 110ish hits, you'll heal pretty good with vamp leech/bandages. Once in a while they will do a combo on you and you'll have to pull out of melee range to heal up some. Usually a combo of melee hit and flamestrikes.

Continue until dead. Don't forget, we aren't tanking them with just some character, we have mana regen high resist suits, using fey slayer, and samurai powers to boost our defense/offense.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You know, I'm STILL wondering why people keep saying "cast Enemy of One"

I do the same amount of damage to Fallen Warriors with a Pixie Swatter WITH OR WITHOUT ENEMY OF ONE, on a character whose only DI equipment are his Stormgrips.

Am I bugged to be permanently doing max damage with the swatter (around 117-140, depending if someone's corpsed them), or are you all not noticing? All EoO does is make me take double damage from everything else...