Tank Mage!?

• Thread starter Tox The Murder
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
  • Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
T

Tox The Murder

Is this viable temp.

Fencing 120
Tactics 120
Resist 1200
Bushido 120
Magery 120
Eval 120

Total 700 skill points.

I'll run my dexxer suit with 45 dci 45 hci. 100 di and 40 lmc.
Can i do a tank with nothing but regeants. [actual regeants? Ex.mandrake root]

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
Awards
McMinnville Oregon
thats 720 points and what are your stats going to be? For me thats always the part hard to find a balance for

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 18, 2008
Catskills, UO
I haven't tried a tank mage template since well...Hally Mages were IT. But the issues I see you running into definitely start with stats.

You need high stamina to get the swing speed where you need it to do enough melee damage. You need higher mana so you can dump enough spells. You need high HP to stay alive. 50 EP and chugging with + mana, + stam and + HP on your suit is going to help but I am not sure its enough. You don't have enough total points in combat skills to get the lowest mana cost for specials. You don't have any meditation so you are going to rely on suit MR and JOAT 20 med which means you'll burn mana quickly as it is.

Speaking of suits you really need the mage stats, 2/6 FC/FCR and 15 SDI along with the warrior stats, HCI along with the general stats like DCI, 40 LMC, as much MR as you can fit plus the stam/hp/mana increases AND relatively decent resists. Your weapon is going to take a big hit because you'll need to sacrifice 2.4 imbuing weight in SC with no -1 or add an FC someplace else on the suit. And don't forget the 50 EP which is pretty much the only way to even try and get the stats you need.

The ability to bleed/disarm/etc while having nice ranged attacks is rocking but this template might be tough to make it all work. You may want to consider a fencer/archer variant so you can still do nice damage/specials with the fencing and then moving shot them the rest of the way. Archery and Fencing use the same "type" of skills so you are not trying to mix too many things. If you really want to play a mage there are several options with complimenting skills. I am guessing PvP is your primary goal so a Mystic Mage is certainly a good option. If you want fun survivability a bokuto mage really annoys people.

To answer your question about LRC, you are always welcome to build a suit without it and carry regs but I think the lack of LRC is going to be the smallest issue at hand.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
THE GREAT STATE OF WISCONSIN
Switch from fence to swords. Use a bokuto for nerve strikes. Don't use LRC, just use regs. Drop tactics to 90, and add some skill increase to get as much med as you can.

the_Illuminati

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Apr 19, 2011
*precasts para and arms insta-hit hally*
*casts explosion, targets*

*casts paralyze*

*equips halbred/bardiche*

*hits then casts paralyze*

*casts flamestrike*

*hits then casts flamestrike*

Game over.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 5, 2009

*casts paralyze*

*hits then casts paralyze*

*casts flamestrike*

*hits then casts flamestrike*

Game over.
You guys are joking right? You just used 130 mana (when int cap was 100) in that sequence. 30 of it was wasted on paralyze and 80 was wasted on FS.

the_Illuminati

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Apr 19, 2011
You guys are joking right? You just used 130 mana (when int cap was 100) in that sequence. 30 of it was wasted on paralyze and 80 was wasted on FS.
Hmmm, wasted? It's hard to heal when you are paralyzed.

And it must of been an explosion/flamestrike. Sorry, I forget the good 'ol days.

But thanks for your critique in the Pre-AoS days of UO. :loser:

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jan 6, 2010
i remember using it on mages who didn't carry pots or healing skill.

all you needed to do was precast para, hit with hally, release para. rinse and repeat.

good times.

usually i ran naked while grey within one or two bankers line of sight.

good times.