• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Suggestion on other Pet Abilities [Discussion]

UO-OU

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Probably it's too late to make a suggestion for another special ability to make the cut for publish 97. I just was reviewing some of the existing weapon abilities and noticed that blood drinker wasn't part of the initial pet revamp. I'm not sure if it would be overpowered since it is dependent on a bleeding target, unlike steal life. Maybe add something else on blood drinking like increased SSI 10% with the addition of healing. Might as rename the ability "Blood Fury" to give it a distinct difference.

If they don't add it in the future as a animal training ability, at least put it on a tameable (or UO Store) as a unique ability that tameable would exclusively get (i.e. Cu Sidhe - Healing).

Are there any other special abilities they may have been overlooked that are already built in the game already? Any suggestions that would be interesting as pet abilities that won't be too overpowering?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Probably it's too late to make a suggestion for another special ability to make the cut for publish 97. I just was reviewing some of the existing weapon abilities and noticed that blood drinker wasn't part of the initial pet revamp. I'm not sure if it would be overpowered since it is dependent on a bleeding target, unlike steal life. Maybe add something else on blood drinking like increased SSI 10% with the addition of healing. Might as rename the ability "Blood Fury" to give it a distinct difference.

If they don't add it in the future as a animal training ability, at least put it on a tameable (or UO Store) as a unique ability that tameable would exclusively get (i.e. Cu Sidhe - Healing).

Are there any other special abilities they may have been overlooked that are already built in the game already? Any suggestions that would be interesting as pet abilities that won't be too overpowering?
Sadly I think it's all pretty locked in at this point, and they probably won't add anything to it any time soon, if ever.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
What I would personally like is for them to allow us to remove abilities from pets, allowing us to then get all the options back, perhaps with a limit on a total amount of times you can do this (say 5) before it is locked in. Not an instant switch, it would still require full re-training. The reason being that many pets have abilities that are counter productive in certain battles. Specifically things like Bleed against bosses that counter attack, it just isn't helpful to have weak extra damage ticks triggering things like Medusa's petrify, or Slasher's rock fall, Navrey/Meph's webs. It would suit solo/group play as solo players would most likely go for less counter attacks, while group players (who have support if things go pear shaped) could go for more overall damage.

I'd also like to see pets have gender specific traits. Similar to the system with Semidar's anti-male thing but you could expand on that and give a handful of abilities the same way players have racial ones. Male pets might be more stubborn and strong and therefore be less prone to target switching and have higher strength, while female pets might be more vicious and have either higher speed or occasional double strike/bite.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know, I always think to myself... "UO isn't complicated enough for new players, they should definitely do something crazy with pets like some weird imbuing stuff where you can give them all sorts of abilities, to mirror the complex crafting/reforging systems in the game, to really baffle the **** out of them noobs"

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Assuming there are any genuinely new players (which I don't think there is) they wouldn't need to know any of this until they weren't new anymore.

Turbo

Adventurer
I dont see the confusion i think its pretty straight forward.
One thing i would like to see is a change to pet bonding. Most people seem to tame a good pet then stable it until it has bonded before using it so they dont risk losing it.
I would love to see a progress bar like what the new training system has where the more time you spend hunting with it the shorter the bond time. It would bring a whole risk vs reward thing to it.

transcendent

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I dont see the confusion i think its pretty straight forward.
One thing i would like to see is a change to pet bonding. Most people seem to tame a good pet then stable it until it has bonded before using it so they dont risk losing it.
I would love to see a progress bar like what the new training system has where the more time you spend hunting with it the shorter the bond time. It would bring a whole risk vs reward thing to it.
How are they supposed to make money from the Pet Bonding potion then?

;)

Turbo

Adventurer
Well it would shorten the time down from 1 week if you play enough but there will always be people that want it bonded instantly because they dont want to risk their new tame in combat to reduce the bond time.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sadly I think it's all pretty locked in at this point, and they probably won't add anything to it any time soon, if ever.
The former is true. Not so sure about the latter.
The most time consuming part is implementing the system. Now that it is in place, it shouldn't be a big deal to tweak it a little bit or add or remove certain specials or magic schools.