Spellweaving vs. Necro

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
A

Arilien

Currently I am setup as a Necro Mage. This is what I have played in the past and have enjoyed

110 Magery
110 Eval
110 Med
90 Necro
90 SS
75 Inscrip
100 Focus

This is what my skill currently are at.

I really need to get wrestling on this template as I seem to be getting interrupted alot. I refuse to use protection as I am currently running with a ring and brac that have 10 % SDI and 3/1 FCR/FC on each one.

Getting rid of Focus for wrestling got me thinking about trying out Spellweaving but honestly am not all that sure how good it is. The spells all sound cool but so does Summon Daemon and we know how well that usually works out.

I do not have a Soulstone so I cannot store Necro/SS will just have to drop it. I pretty much am strictly PVM have not PVP'd at all.

Just looking for some advice. Template with Spellweave would be

Magery
Med
Eval Int
Wrestling
Spell Weave
Inscription or Resist - still deciding.

I seem to spend 90% of fights mana drained. Fought a White Wyrm yesterday that Mana Drained me 4 times in one fight. Usually kill them in 3 spells with a slayer book but everytime I came on screen he would Mana Drain me.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 14, 2007
Pacific
spell weaving is nice, it has a few good spells..
gift of life, lets you self res.. if you remember to keep it up.. time depends on focus level.
gift of renewal, heals automatically for a few seconds.. depening on your focus level.
word of death, deals a ton of damage the last few hp of a battle.. can easily speed up killing the larger monsters.. also depends on yoru focus level...

dryad allure, lets you "tame" a repond monster to bring with you.. takes up control slots. cant ride a beetle and cant cast evs :(

ehteral voyage, lets you walk among monsters undetected for a short time.. based on focus level.. if you die while transformed, auto resurect when the time runs out.

now.. the bad part about spell weaving.. takes a focus.. 3 or more people are ideal. sometimes hard to find.. sucks really really bad without it..

also, requires 40 lmc.. some spells take up to 50 mana :(

spells like wod have a really slow casting time, like casting an ev.

now for your necro.. are you getting disrupted because of spell casters or because of getting hit??

personally id drop focus for anatomy.. keep necro and ss

either gm inscription, or drop it..
drop meditation back to 100, as 110 only gives you .6 more mana regen..
not worth the 10 pts

fighting alot of spell casters, drop inscription for magic resist.

you say you fight WW, i wouldnt ever go down there with no magic resist :)

you dont get mana drained with magic resist and if you do its for like 1 second.
you also rarely get paralized or poisoned.

the gain in inscription, you can get from a kasa of raj-in. witch btw has super resists and is a staple in any mage suit..

id pay 9.99 for a couple soul stones and stone off inscription tho.. dont drop it. then you can switch out magic resist for inscription later..

before you do, gm it, then cast magic reflect and reactive armor for the free +5 in elemental resists..

A

Arilien

Ok thanks that is what I needed to know I do not know anyone else who has Spellweaving so I guarantee I would not be able to find a focus 90% of the time. I already have dropped focus and picked up Resist spells. I would have to drop Inscription for Anatomy at this point and kinda like inscription although it is not GM or even that close. Not sure if the 10% SDI is worth 100 points taken up. I am thinking of giving it up but I hve a hard time it seems keeping up in damage with others some times

T

Trinsie

dryad allure, lets you "tame" a repond monster to bring with you.. takes up control slots. cant ride a beetle and cant cast evs :(

An allured pet takes up 3 control slots always, no less, no more. You cannot ride a beetle but most other mounts are fine (just no backpack in them). You can cast EV with an allured pet if you do not have a mount, (get off the ethy?) just not 2 EVs. Hopefully you chose a pet to allure that makes up for losing 1 EV... there are some very good monsters to Allure out there.

As for WoD. You have to remember that Spellweaving can be 4/6 FC/FCR. You can cut down those casting times by a ton.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
May 25, 2008
Catskills.
Heres my necromage weavers temp.

110 Magery / 120
115 Eval /120
120 Med
120 Necro
115 Spirit / 120
102 weaving / 120

(skills r not final =p )

For starters, ill always run in wraith form. The mana leech is nice, as well as not being blocked in fel.

should never run out of mana if in wraith form and going against high mana monsters. Or in the case of barracoon spawn. Wither+ Rats and Slimes = TONS OF MANA

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 14, 2007
Pacific
Ok thanks that is what I needed to know I do not know anyone else who has Spellweaving so I guarantee I would not be able to find a focus 90% of the time. I already have dropped focus and picked up Resist spells. I would have to drop Inscription for Anatomy at this point and kinda like inscription although it is not GM or even that close. Not sure if the 10% SDI is worth 100 points taken up. I am thinking of giving it up but I hve a hard time it seems keeping up in damage with others some times
i def wouldnt throw away your inscription.. you can buy a soulstone or use a vet reward and keep it..

then test out anatomy and see if you get hit less..

W

Warrior of Time

spell weaving is nice, it has a few good spells..
gift of life, lets you self res.. if you remember to keep it up.. time depends on focus level.
gift of renewal, heals automatically for a few seconds.. depening on your focus level.
word of death, deals a ton of damage the last few hp of a battle.. can easily speed up killing the larger monsters.. also depends on yoru focus level...

ehteral voyage, lets you walk among monsters undetected for a short time.. based on focus level.. if you die while transformed, auto resurect when the time runs out.

now.. the bad part about spell weaving.. takes a focus.. 3 or more people are ideal. sometimes hard to find.. sucks really really bad without it..

also, requires 40 lmc.. some spells take up to 50 mana :(

now for your necro.. are you getting disrupted because of spell casters or because of getting hit??

personally id drop focus for anatomy.. keep necro and ss

either gm inscription, or drop it..
drop meditation back to 100, as 110 only gives you .6 more mana regen..
not worth the 10 pts

fighting alot of spell casters, drop inscription for magic resist.

you say you fight WW, i wouldnt ever go down there with no magic resist :)

you dont get mana drained with magic resist and if you do its for like 1 second.
you also rarely get paralized or poisoned.

the gain in inscription, you can get from a kasa of raj-in. witch btw has super resists and is a staple in any mage suit..

id pay 9.99 for a couple soul stones and stone off inscription tho.. dont drop it. then you can switch out magic resist for inscription later..

before you do, gm it, then cast magic reflect and reactive armor for the free +5 in elemental resists..
You never can find anyone to use the focus because 100 spellweaving does very little Damage. Toss a hand full of pixies at an Ogre Lord and see how long they last. Look at the number of followers they take. They also wast mana. Maybe you want to take an Ogre Lord to Lady M. How long will he last. Better off with Magery in every case. At least you can use an EV, or Earth elemental.

I got it, toss a handful of bees at hydra. Better off to work a pair of EVs. The bees take up too much mana too. Mana is better spent on EVs. Not only that they come after the caster of the bees for some reason. At least they let a mage walk away after casting an EV.

The voyage is not worth the 100 points if you can't do any damage once you get there. Get close enough to use Word of Death to lady M and it will be your death.

How much good are pixies, or bees with DF. If you have magery, and lower regs armor you will never use the 100 points spent on spellweaving. I don't know of anyone that will take a mage with spellweaving over a necro mage.

G

GFY

Here's what I went with. I made 2 templates and they both work very well.

Magery 120
Eval 120
Med 120
Resist 120
Wrestle 120
Spellweaving 120

A good all around template offensively and defensively with resist and wrestle.

Magery 120
Eval 120
Med 120
Resist 120
Necro 120
Spirit Speak 120

I carry a mage weapon -0 (Staff of the Magi) for my defensive skill. Can be tough against a dexxer that constantly wants to disarm me but a very good template none the less. If I know I'm going to be dueling a dexxer I'll swap resist for wrestle.

A

Arilien

So I finally came up with what I am doing.

After alot of thought I do not think that Necro/SS are worth it. Atleast not for me. Right now the only thing I use Necro for is Wraith Form and occassionally Wither. The fact of the matter is all my Mage spells hit for more because I have every type of super slayer book but Repond. I did use Wither when doing a champ spawn, undead one, but switching to an undead slayer and Meteor swarm seemed just as good. Meteor Swarm with undead slayer and I was hitting from 165 to 200. All in all just does not seem worth 200 points outta my template for those 2 spells.

So template will be:

Magery
Eval Int
Med
Resist

I know I am one skill short but figure I will have the left over if I take anything above 100 which currently Magery Eval and Med are. Plan on taking all of them, minus Inscription, to atleast 110. Doubt I will ever buy or find 120 scrolls.

G

GFY

Try wrestling in stead of anatomy. You'll be hit less in PVM, especially if you go 115 or more, and disarm in pvp is a very good thing!

B

Boogieman

I've played around with an inscription template lately that also had necro and SS. Right now I've switched necro over to a samurai fighter, but I miss it !
If you only use two necro spells when in combat, I'd say you just need to get more used to the skill.
Here are some of the great advantages I saw with necro and SS:

For mana regenaration I found lich form much more usable than wraith form - but maybe that's just me. Wraith form relies on the mana pool op your target, so if it's zero you get zero. If you are human, and equip one HP regerating item you won't loose hp's when in lich form. The man regen is great and constant.

Summon familiar: Wisp for extra mana regen. Minion for a handy little packy. I didn't try it out but I people who use the wolf for taming bake kitsunes.

Corpse skin for reducing fire resist on monsters - right now it works quite nice in the war of shadows invasion - corpse skin a general and your fire balls will do 30ish damage. Or do it on your buddy the WW (and most other ice-related creatures) and watch him go to *negative* fire resist - then blast him with explo and a dragon slaying spellbook. I think you'll hit the 300% SDI cap with that one.

Summon undead is a bit unreliable. Sometimes the undead will just hang around acting - well, zombie-like. Other times they will do their job and join the fighting.

You mention wither yourself and that's a good one. Another good one is the poison blast. Magery will not give you a poison-damage spell (poisoning yes - but that's a different matter). Having that in your arsenal opens up for dealing more damage to poison sensitive creatures.

SS is like eval for necros. But it's also a mana-free heal if there is a corpse nearby. It's also a reagent-free heal after resurrection. (I die too often and I'm too cheap to insure my 100% LRC suit, unless I go to Fel).

If you go for wrestling, then the horrific beast form gives you great hp regen if you train against monsters.

Well, that's about it. I guess blood oath is mostly a PvP thing. Mind rot as well. But apart of that, the mage-necro template is very useful. And if you want to train inscription to GM I'd definitely keep necro and SS for lich form and wisp while training. Drop focus, train inscription to GM, then decide if you want necro and SS. Train resist last.

A

Arilien

I did use Corpse Skin on WW my problem is I could do one of 2 things when fighting them. I do have a reptile slayer book.

Pre-cast Explosion
FlameStrike
2 Fireballs

WW is dead before it even moves.

or

Corpse Skin
Flamestrike
2 Fireballs

Either way I am doing the exact same amount of casting and they die in the same amount of time.

Another thing I played around with was

Corpse Skin
Evil Omen
Flamestrike
Fireball

This was nice because that Flamestrike was hitting for upwards of 210 however I ran into the same thing of it taking the same amount of time for me to kill it with Necro Spells or with just Magery

Plus with the Magery combo 3/4th of my damage is applied all at once before the WW ever even starts to move towards me.

At this point I have dropped SS but still have Necro at 91. I have been playing without using Necro to see how I do. I definitely miss the mana regen of Wraith Form or even Lich Form. I spend alot more time Meditating. However I do not miss not being able to rid a horse, etc.. when in Lich/Wraith form.

I have to be able to move away from the mobs fairly fast. It is the difference between living and dieing for me. I can take a Paragon Blood Elem as long as I have a horse. Without one they move faster than me on foot so no healing whatsoever.

I do need to work on a better suit for my mage as right now I am only sporting 40-50 in each resists however it is hard to find a 100% LRC suit with good resists and good SDI etc.

Right now I have
100% LRC
25% LMC
Approx. 35% SDI with a slayer book on and 51% with a 26% SDI book on. This will jump by 10% if I ever get Inscription finished
2 FC/6FCR
40-50 in each resist. Although I think Physical may drop down to 35

G

GFY

One thing to remember when using a wraith in pvm. Your mana isn't being regenerated to you, it is being drained away from your opponent! You'll be fighting an opponent with no mana so they won't be able to cast on you!

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 14, 2007
Pacific
One thing to remember when using a wraith in pvm. Your mana isn't being regenerated to you, it is being drained away from your opponent! You'll be fighting an opponent with no mana so they won't be able to cast on you!
he is right, go into wraith form and cast fs on that ww.. you will notice that the mana you use up gets given back to you instantly.. not just a % over time. this pretty much lets you cast fs over and over untill its dead, and be at full mana when the next one respawns.

you cant do this with magery alone.

if your using a slayer book, a ww doesnt have the hp to really be affected by EO or corpse skin.. your already doing heavy damage on it.

moving to something like the dark father in doom.. being in wraith form, a demon slayer spell book, casing corpse skin, and eo+fs you hit for almost 200 a shot.. if its discod its even more.. 230+

this will let you sit there, and cast over and over while draining the mana back to you after every shot. you wont even get below 75% mana.. but if you do.. cast some poison strikes on the mob and your back to 100% instantly.

this is where the necro mage temp shines.

5% Luck

100 magery 120 crystal ring
100 med
120 eval
120 spell weaving
100 spirit speak
80 necro 100 midnight bracers
100 inscription

This is how I came up with the solution

100lrc 4/6w scrapper 3/5 without 70/70/70/59/75 7MR(swap pendant for 10 MR in safe places) 100%lrc 33 LMC 45 sdi 35 w/slayerbook(wish i had a scrappers slayer collection!)

Whats hard is geting the midnight bracers in with a HoM and stil hit 100%lrc. The awnser was the orni and stichers.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Oct 21, 2008
Baltimore, MD
taylorvsmith.com
Why chose? Use both! Here's one of my favorite temps:

120 Magery
120 Eval Int
120 Med
120 SS
120 Weaving
110 Necro

Aside from a tamer, this template is UO's top damager. The strategy is as follows: First, drop EVs to tank and invis (obvious). Second, use your necro spells - most notably, evil omen and corpse skin - to achieve top spell damage. Finally, when their hp is drained, use WOD for the highest-hitting spell in UO. WOD hits for 300 dmg, so if you use it three times, you're talking about 900 points of damage in under 15 seconds.

GM inscription only gives +10 sdi. You can get much more than that on books, tallies, and jewels. Accordingly, inscribe is not worth the skill points it requires. Using 100 inscribe on a mage template is as outdated as using 100 lumberjacking on an axer: used to be a good idea, but now not worth the cost.

A

Arilien

Yea I guess I could drop Inscription. It is a pain in the butt to raise at this point. Only skill on template that is not above 100. Not to mention I have now gotten every super slayer type but repond from just buying them or finding them at collapsed houses. I just always looked at it as being 10SDI on top of what I can get from books, etc..

However as someone mentioned above is Weaving worth it if you cannot find others to summon a focus with? I know no other Weavers, just tamers and warriors.

Reaper form looks awesome but not sure I could give up using wraith and lich for it.

I have re-evaluated my Necro/SS usage and found out animate dead is awesome. I was just not high enough skill. I had stopped right around 90 because I was not sure I was going to use it. Now that it is 101 I get Skeletal Dragons alot and they are pretty nice. And before someone corrects me, skill does affect what you get when animating. Went a month never seeing a Skeletal Dragon got Necro/SS above 100 and get them all the time now and yes I am fighting the same monster throughout.

R

Radix

wow! skeletal dragons!!? I have never raised one of them, with big monsters a lot of lich lords, ****ing maggots, wailing banshees, and golems-mummies with weaker monsters but never a dragon, really it rocks xD

I have 110 magery, 110 eval, 120 ss, 110 necro, 100, 100 resisting, med63 sw actual and still not all at my caps, with remaining points... for fun, i will decide later what to do, first of all i need to find several ps :p
is the funnier thing to cast and cast xD
(damm thing cast cast and cast provoques me more kr crashes :(
it's common? :sad4:

but... there is a lot of equipment and jewels that raise all these skills, i thinks is easy to have 760-780 skills points, it's worth to raise 100 sw? only for wod? with 60 u can cast most of sw spells...
there is enough space even for thinking about inscription or poisoning :spider:
nop?

how long lasts a dryad allure on ogre lords, artics o.l and titans??

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Cats/Europa
Dryad allure lasts until you let the beast go or until you recall or log out.

So if you get on right after server up and stay logged in all day... 23:30.

Y

YuriGaDaisukiDa

first i was thinking about doing this
120 magery
120 eval
100 med
120 necro
100 SS
120 spell weaving
120 resisting spells
That template would require too much skill increase items, but most of those are good at 100 level anyway.

i planned on using a 0 mage weapon, which was another weakness,

so i modified the template to this
120 eval
80 anatomy
100 magery
100 meditation
100 resist
120 spell weaving
60necro60SS

still requires some skill items, but a lot less, and with only 60 necro, i can still use wraith form, wisp, evil omen, corpse skin, and blood oath

whats the point of 120 necro? no animate dead, no lich wither or vamp, so what?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Oct 21, 2008
Baltimore, MD
taylorvsmith.com
Why anatomy on a spellcaster, may I ask?

By the way, for PvM, 110 necro and 115 magery/weaving is plenty. No need to invest in the expensive 120 scrolls for these skills, unless you plan to do a lot of PvP.

G

GFY

By the way, for PvM, 110 necro and 115 magery/weaving is plenty. No need to invest in the expensive 120 scrolls for these skills, unless you plan to do a lot of PvP.
Anatomy for defense. Personally I like wrestling better.

I would go 105 necro and 120 spirit speak.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 9, 2008

Cause some people use anatomy + eval formula in substituting for wrestling. Like GFY I prefer wrestling. If you are a weapons mage...meh maybe you could have that formula but...still a waste in my book. There are other reasons why you would want to have wrestling instead of anatomy anyways.