• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

SoulStones & ShardShieds are NO MORE recoverable from IDOCs?

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
If this is confirmed (as it seems to be, being them Account Locked Items), and considering that these are items of GREAT value for the PLAYERS (both for their Owners and for the community in general as a remembrance of who is no more), but NO RESELLING value for "notorious" RMS, I find this choice Plain & Simply IMMORAL.

In the case of SoulStones expecially, I was already DISGUSTED by the high CUB Points values they gave them, and now, making them vanish at IDOCs leave me at a loss of any civil word.:oops:

SR

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Totally agree SteelRust! Thanks again for your efforts at keeping the "homeless" Soulstones stored on Europa! :love:

Effort

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Skills are easy to train, vet items (like shard shields) apply value to the age of an account, and you get that age by paying for the account (ie keeping the hampsters fed).

This all makes logical sense. I do appreciate your nostalgia point, and I don't have a good solution for that.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe you should read all the feed back about this new PUB on here and the official forums, this is old news and yes it is confirmed. Keep your stones in the bank, pay your account every 6 months on time and if you plan on leaving put all your rewards/shields/stones in the bank problem solved.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Soulstones the stores sells. So lose your soulstone buy new ones.

Lost skills becasue of loseing the stones buy a mystic token.

Lost shard shields buy a transfer token.

Items that the store sells. They want to make more money is all.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its ur responsibility as @Lord Frodo mentioned, keep valuable items in ur bank, and in the new publish u will get a warning message “i think by email” so that should be more than enough
I have always gotten a email that my accounts where not paid for. Been like that for years. I always try to have my accounts up to date but at lest once a year a non payment happens and they do email you. Looks like this.

Broadsword Online Games
End of Subscription Notification
Your subscription for Broadsword Online Games Ultima Online for Game Account name is here has ended for the following reason:

• The credit card on file was declined
If you did not authorize this, or require assistance with accessing account management or other billing-related issues please contact the Support department via email at [email protected].

This is an automated email from the Account Management site for Broadsword Online Games.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Its ur responsibility as @Lord Frodo mentioned, keep valuable items in ur bank, and in the new publish u will get a warning message “i think by email” so that should be more than enough
Not real convenient when you want to swap skills between characters... Really can't do that from your bank box.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
To all the people that said "you can buy new SS in the Shop": you are totally missing the point.

SStones are SOULS, are the MEMORY of people that, for whatever reason, are NO MORE, in the game and sometimes in LIFE.

And THAT you cannot buy.

If you don't understand this, I really pity you.

SR

Glorfindel

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
I can see abit of both sides but really the uproar over soul stones and vet rewards to me seems way off. I came back in 2017 after being away for 8 years. It was very overwhelming and it was good that I had to build some skills here and there to revamp my characters and allowed me some time to build skills and read a lot about where the game has changed. I think I may have lost 2 soul stones? Not sure if they’re were even being used. Most of your skills are on your characters. The average player doesn’t keep more then a handful of skills on stones at the most. All my hard worked for skills are on actual characters. I have 4 currently and all I have on them is skills I don’t need. As far as Vet Rewards and IDOCs go, I got to actually go to my first IDOC Saturday since I started playing in 98’. It felt weird like we were all a bunch jackals waiting for something to die so we could pounce. The player had collected a lot of stuff and it was obvious the owner took a lot of time to deco the keep. It was sad really. I think a lot of outrage over the idoc changes are just people wanting other people’s stuff.

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love everything about the new IDOC changes EXCEPT for the deletion of vet rewards. Everything else is great and thank you to the development team for taking the time to make this happen.

The decision to delete vet rewards was done under the premise that no one except for the house owner 'earned' those rewards. Therefore they should be deleted because no one else has a right to claim them at an IDOC. This is simply not true and I'll explain why

In many cases veteran rewards do not belong to the account that owns the house.

example #1 - I did not claim most of the vet rewards i have displayed in any of my houses. Most were purchased from other players that did claim them. If my house was to go idoc then i feel the player that did earn them be given a chance to get them back by attending the idoc.

example #2 - Account bound veteran rewards that are locked down in homes they are Co-Owned too.
I keep all of my shard shields in one home and all of my soulstones in another on atlantic. These veteran reward items do not belong to the account that owns that house. They belong to the co-owner.
I also own several houses spread out across other shards that have mixed vet rewards stored in them.
Now i don't play the 90 day game. I pay all of my accounts on a renewing monthly subscription. That being said it has happened many times in the past when for no reason my card will stop getting billed causing my accounts to go into default. Most times i catch it but my fear is that one day i will not (especially easy on an account that holds a house on a less populated shard that i sometimes don't go to for months at a time).

Deletion of vet rewards is opening a whole can worms. If i was to loose my shard shields because of this it would probably mean the end of UO for me.

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ponders thought. Big UO announcement? ALL account bound items will be put into storage and will be recoverable if owner reopens account??? Would be nice, but this is just a SWAG. (Stupid Wild ARSE Guess).
This was suggested by many people. Simply put the account bound items in storage for the player as an incentive for them to return.

They did the exact opposite!

Why? Because it's a cash grab.
They would rather delete those items so they could sell returning players new ones IF and when they return.

They would have been better off leaving them in the idoc so friends and guildmates could retrieves them.
Soulstone graveyards? I'm sure they've heard of these being done. It works.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
People have been saying lately that the private soulstone graveyards were asked to 'donate' their soulstones to the shard EM, I'm not sure why this was happening, but it's almost like they want them deleted instead of being kept for players returning later. Adding them to the clean-up list ensured that most IDOC hunters would delete them too, for points, it just seems spiteful when so many people come and go and then come back again. I've always put mine in the bank but accidents do happen and sometimes a house falls and it wasn't intended.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here is a simple thing.
1 delete soulstones and shard shields.
2 store sells soulstone and shard transfer tokens.
3 returning to game had most of my skills on x amont of soulstones lost my free transfer from the shields being deleted.
4 no vet picks left need to buy said items.
5 spend x amount on soulstone, xshard and mystic tokens from the store.
6 EA & BS happy they deleted them more money for them.

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here is a simple thing.
1 delete soulstones and shard shields.
2 store sells soulstone and shard transfer tokens.
3 returning to game had most of my skills on x amont of soulstones lost my free transfer from the shields being deleted.
4 no vet picks left need to buy said items.
5 spend x amount on soulstone, xshard and mystic tokens from the store.
6 EA & BS happy they deleted them more money for them.
That's not the scenario i would return to. So in effect they are actually loosing money from returned subscriptions.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To all the people that said "you can buy new SS in the Shop": you are totally missing the point.

SStones are SOULS, are the MEMORY of people that, for whatever reason, are NO MORE, in the game and sometimes in LIFE.

And THAT you cannot buy.

If you don't understand this, I really pity you.

SR
It appears you have A LOT of pity.
I am sure all of the long lost players are comforted knowing that you hang around your creepy soul stone museum wringing your hands in nostalgic despair :sad2:

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
It appears you have A LOT of pity.
I am sure all of the long lost players are comforted knowing that you hang around your creepy soul stone museum wringing your hands in nostalgic despair :sad2:
I beg your pardon? Did you forgot again to take you medications, or am I not understanding the tone of your post?

Last edited:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It doesn't make sense why they even made shard shields, they totally shot themselves in the foot losing shard transfer tokens, it's like they didn't even know they existed as a source of income for the game.
Sure they can sell new soulstones to people who return, but they can't replace the lost skills that were stored there and some people won't want to do those skills all over again, account bound items and especially those bought with real money, should go to the player's bank box.

Effort

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Yes, shard sheilds should really be removed. It doesn't provide anything positive, hurts shards local economies at too low of a prospective cost. Remove them, let people pancake, watch "off shards" develop again

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
People have been saying lately that the private soulstone graveyards were asked to 'donate' their soulstones to the shard EM, I'm not sure why this was happening, but it's almost like they want them deleted instead of being kept for players returning later. Adding them to the clean-up list ensured that most IDOC hunters would delete them too, for points, it just seems spiteful when so many people come and go and then come back again. I've always put mine in the bank but accidents do happen and sometimes a house falls and it wasn't intended.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Mesanna say she was gonna delete the soulstone graveyards?

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've let my house fall 3x over almost 20 years, I've probably lost 100 soul stones. It's not a big deal. Yes it sucks to rework the skills, but UO needs cash $. I pray everytime I buy something from the UO store that this is going to increase the budget for a new VS server (I know it's very wishful thinking).

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've let my house fall 3x over almost 20 years, I've probably lost 100 soul stones. It's not a big deal. Yes it sucks to rework the skills, but UO needs cash $. I pray everytime I buy something from the UO store that this is going to increase the budget for a new VS server (I know it's very wishful thinking).

Assuming you bought all 100, that would be roughly $999 you've paid just for soulstones. Not everyone can afford that.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It doesn't make sense why they even made shard shields, they totally shot themselves in the foot losing shard transfer tokens, it's like they didn't even know they existed as a source of income for the game.
Sure they can sell new soulstones to people who return, but they can't replace the lost skills that were stored there and some people won't want to do those skills all over again, account bound items and especially those bought with real money, should go to the player's bank box.
I disagree. Shard shields helped myself and some others i know play on multiple shards. It isn't about transferring gold or items to sell for everyone. Before shard shields, I did not purchase a single transfer token. I waited until my account was old enough to claim tokens and relied on others while waiting. If they remove shard shields I still won't buy transfer tokens. But they also may not have me as a customer if they do that.

As for soul stones and account bound items, I fully agree.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I sometimes wonder what goes on in their heads, I just can't get my own head around some of the crazy decisions they have made. The excuses don't make sense either and that's if you even get given one.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If I'm not mistaken, didn't Mesanna say she was gonna delete the soulstone graveyards?
You mean graveyards belonging to players? Surely she has no right to close those or take the soulstones contained there? I honestly think that is disgraceful! What reason was given for this? I didn't even know she had said that.... :(

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
You mean graveyards belonging to players? Surely she has no right to close those or take the soulstones contained there? I honestly think that is disgraceful! What reason was given for this? I didn't even know she had said that.... :(
I think they meant ones handled by Company employees, like the huge one in Malas Atlantic. Probably too much of a hassle for them.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
And since when do they care about players possessions? Think, e.g., what is still happening with STORE BOUGHT Britannia Ship that vanish because LightHouse linking is bugged as hell.
I Returned 3 years ago, and in this months I tried to excuse BS b*llsh*t in many ways, giving them always the benefit of the doubt, but this last actions are doing it for me, and I will close 90% af my accounts.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Hmm well if she meant the EM ones that's another issue, but according to other players they were encouraged to place all the soulstones they collected into those EM run graveyards, I'm guessing then it was always the plan to get rid of them eventually..
@SteelRust In no other game would items bought for real money not be replaced if a game mechanic or bug caused them to unexpectedly vanish, it just wouldn't happen. This blanket statement of 'we can't replace anything' should actually read 'we don't want to be bothered replacing anything, so you'll have to buy another one.' I actually deleted a beloved mount in EQ2 that my husband bought for me and a GM gave me it back within 24 hours, even though I admitted when I made my request that it was just my own carelessness. :oops:

Kuru

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really do understand everyone’s opinions on this both ways. Ultimately at the end of the day this game is still someone’s business. (This game is a ton of players business as well.) I see no financial gain being had in saving soulstones. Unless I’m missing something?

How about don’t let your accounts lapse? And if you know they will, maybe bank your stones? Sure there are always going to be exceptions and hardships for certain situations. But fair is for children. There shouldn’t be specific things in place to protect ultimately most people’s improper planning.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I really do understand everyone’s opinions on this both ways. Ultimately at the end of the day this game is still someone’s business. (This game is a ton of players business as well.) I see no financial gain being had in saving soulstones. Unless I’m missing something?

How about don’t let your accounts lapse? And if you know they will, maybe bank your stones? Sure there are always going to be exceptions and hardships for certain situations. But fair is for children. There shouldn’t be specific things in place to protect ultimately most people’s improper planning.
Yes, it is somone business, you are right: it is the PLAYERS business, i.e., the ones that PAY BS people's salaries. This have nothing to do with "fair" in a childish sense, and all with fairness in a business one.... unless BS plan is to cash out as much as possible before closing the show.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It's even worse though to rely on sales from a cash-shop in a game that still has a subscription to enjoy all content, usually only free games have a cash-shop that sells necessary/gameplay-affecting items....they want their cake and eat it too.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
It's even worse though to rely on sales from a cash-shop in a game that still has a subscription to enjoy all content, usually only free games have a cash-shop that sells necessary/gameplay-affecting items....they want their cake and eat it too.
...and they will end eating s...and (and who cares), and the players with them too (and this is a lot more sad).

Kuru

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, it is somone business, you are right: it is the PLAYERS business, i.e., the ones that PAY BS people's salaries. This have nothing to do with "fair" in a childish sense, and all with fairness in a business one.... unless BS plan is to cash out as much as possible before closing the show.
Right on man. Good on you.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have taken many, many breaks over the years. I have never lost anything important to me when I did. Whining about people losing stuff is just dumb, I'm sorry. The only way you are really going to lose your stuff is if you just say, "f*** it, I'm done," and don't bother packing any of your stuff away. I understand that financial hardships are a thing, but you have 90 days to come up with $15 so you can resub, pack your stuff, and deal with life. If you just let your house fall and think anyone's soulstone graveyard is going to save you, you're a moron. So this move by the devs is going to save you the time of checking to see if anyone is saving your soulstones. Good job devs!

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Soulstones aren't necessary.....you can play UO fine without them. They're a convenience item.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I am not worried about soul stones and don't really care about shard shield but I hate to see the other vet rewards deleted. 35mil for an ethy is crazy. Some early rewards are now almost 100 mil. Sad to think that some rewards that aren't widely chosen could soon become semi-rares. I think that was a very poor decision.

QwertyEuropa

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I disagree with you about necessary items being in cash shop but can I ask where you think Broadsword should be making money from then?
We don't have numbers on population of paid accounts so we don't really know how much money they make in subscriptions but I can't imagine they are making much purely because a lot of people have EJ accounts.