• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discordance] some disco training with mastery numbers

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
found a old disco archer that was only at GM disco, so decided to bump him up to 120 real so i could use masteries with him more effectively.

here are the total numbers for going from GM to 120 disco.

suit was 40+ LMC
suit had 35 MR
had 120 focus and 110 med on him.
3/6 FC/FCR

NPC instruments used = 63 (had 37 left in pack with various degree of usage)

total time = 42 Hours

gains per day.
day 1 6.5 hours for 7.7 gains
day 2 3.5 hours for 2.3 gains
day 3 15.0 hours for 5.6 gains
day 4 17.0 hours for 4.4 gains

thought id throw some numbers up for people who like to have numbers to look at.

Poo

Meat Elemental

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What spells were you casting or mixing up despair with tribulation? I have a char in the same boat and going to train him up to 120 disco also...

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
just despair.

use item (music instrument)
pause 500
cast spell (despair)
target (self)
pause 1000
cast spell (despair to turn it off)
pause 1000

A

Arkasia_dub

I highly recommend Poo's training method to gain skill in Discordance; it is very effective, however I noticed slower gains after 115 skill

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
still the same old tried and true.

polar bears to 60
gamans to 70
then ring up and cu's to 90
or you can do boura's
boura's are easier to tame.

G

goldenpower

can you do discordance in new haven to 50 with accelerated skill gain?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
releasing animals onto boats or in your house is a banable offense if a GM stops in and catches you.

im sure everyone has done it at some time in their UO history.

but it is banable if you get caught.

or you get a warning, or something like that.

xxrod17xx

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Does this no longer work, I got a GGS gain doing this and nothing more, I am using NPC bought instruments, i do not have as much FC or meditation abilities, but that is the last gain i received. Also my crystal ball of knowledge says its too easy....

I am 97 Skill

Last edited:

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i used it just like 2 weeks ago, worked fine.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
my wife tells me that all the time...

Zeroh

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To train with masteries, do i have to keep spamming the spell or just leave it activated?

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does this no longer work, I got a GGS gain doing this and nothing more, I am using NPC bought instruments, i do not have as much FC or meditation abilities, but that is the last gain i received. Also my crystal ball of knowledge says its too easy....

I am 97 Skill
Would be interesting to know what this guy was doing wrong because I have the same issue.

Decided to train an old tamer char of mine who has 120 Music, 120 Peace and 105 Discordance currently. Intending to raise discord to 120 with as little hassle as possible but can only gain a GGS point and get "Too Easy" when casting Despair on self.

Do I need to stone off 120 Music and Peace and run with GM Music for this to be viable or what?

Tagging Poo also if he has any advice!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
you only need to drop your music to GM if you are training on animals as the bard masteries dont look at your music being above GM when they do the skill check for a gain.

so you can have your music at 120 if you are training with the mastery.

im not sure what you are doing wrong, if anything.
keep in mind that using the masteries dosnt make the training to 120 faster, and believe me, its slow!
what it does is it just stops you from needing a tonne of animals to train off of.

its still gonna take you about 75 hours of running the mastery to get from 105 to 120.

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Poo: Okay. To be fair I didn't spend too much time trying this earlier as I assumed the skill crystal's "Too Easy" evaluation meant I had no chance to gain from this method. I'll run it for a proper amount of time and see how I get on.

While time consuming, this is a more tolerable method of training for me than using animals and lowering my Music if it is effective.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm almost done another char using the mastery way. I've 480'd a number of guys just getting to 90 on each first and then going the rest of the way after.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ya, its by far the way to go now a days.
saves getting all those animals and keeping them corralled and such.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it possible to gain Provocation from 90+ using the Masteries?

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You are welcome. In fact we, the bards of Sosaria, should bow down and say "thank you" to all developers and everyone involved. This change in game allows more freedom of choice. Older training methods often involved inhuman animal treatment - which often involved reduced movement options for the animals (how cruel). Now it is also easier to "just log in for a couple of minutes" and train provocation (or other bardic skills) without a huge training setup which itself may take 15 minutes. I love the mastery changes. Like the crafting menu changes many years ago it helped taking away tediousness from the game.

Last edited:

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just remember you can crank FC and FCR up on your bard suit when you are trying to gain. Starting one ability, then the other then stopping the previously started one gives you more gain chances than just with one ability alone. Of course you burn way more mana though.

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I use despair and disco 4 pets, 2 GD's and 2 Bake's fully trained and the gains are good so far..its super slow now at 117 but i only need 2.1 more cuz got a 0.9 pinkee ;)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Just remember you can crank FC and FCR up on your bard suit when you are trying to gain. Starting one ability, then the other then stopping the previously started one gives you more gain chances than just with one ability alone. Of course you burn way more mana though.
This is how i do it I have a macro that swaps them turning them off and on

Botak

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
is it better with Exceptional Instrument or NPC bought ?(for faster gain - if there is any difference) I'm at 98 discord.

Thanks

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
They add a sucess chance i guess...but dont you also gain on failure? As far as i rember, i did gain on failing to disco as i trained...

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They add a sucess chance i guess...but dont you also gain on failure? As far as i rember, i did gain on failing to disco as i trained...
Yes, they add to success chance and also yes you can gain on failure... But I believe that "failure" gains are simply gains that are rng, while the rest are success gains... At high levels more and more gains come from rng in my experience...

Botak

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Finally hit 120 on Disco with Poo's method above. I use regular NPC bought music.

How about peacemaking? Should I peacemaking target self? or using bard mastery for better gain? both song in peacemaking mastery require min lvl of 90, so both will give same gain? -- i'm leaning toward "resilience" song since it's giving me mana regen

Thanks

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For peace making, use both songs, as well as a area peace (target self).

Since both skill use and mastery use give you chances for gain, you get the best bang for your buck using both.

Dimitroff

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I know this thread is an old one, but I seem to be missing something.
Using the Poo's method for training Disco with Despair, targeting myself, I inflict 29+ damage on me every time I cast Despair.
Using this method I will kill myself pretty quick.
Or am I missing something?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
is it better with Exceptional Instrument or NPC bought ?(for faster gain - if there is any difference) I'm at 98 discord.

Thanks
if your training on animals its best to use NPC instruments and have your music locked at 100.0
that way your not getting any bonus's and you are 100% to get past the music check, cause your not doing this to get bonus's, all you want is the skill check to toggle to see if you can get a gain.

if your using the bard masteries then it dosnt matter.
i personally use NPC cause i hate wasting GM EX ones for training, cause your gonna burn through like 100+ instruments per skill to 120.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Using despair its better to target non guarding pets. Otherwise tirbulation is also a good choice because it does no damage and burns less mana to initiate. You can also get it going a bit faster by using both abilities. Start Despair/Start Tribulation/Stop Despair/Stop tribulation. Keeping in mind that Bard mastery abilities initiate with consideration for Faster Casting and Faster Cast recovery. That should be part of your training suit.

Henzy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I know this is an old thread, but in fact I have the same problem as Spiritless: the crystal ball says "too easy" for Discordance when casting Despair. My Musicianship is at 120, Discordance 90.6 and I'm using NPC bought instruments. Is it possible it no longer works to get decent gains apart from the GGS-onces? By the way, I had an easy method to get to 90 and I can continue that for a little while longer I suppose....
I am legendary tamer and I have dragon turtle pet. I started a new char with 50 disco and used a soulstone..... Then I had my crafter make a fresh ring and bracelet and imbued them both with 15 Discordance. Thus I had 80 Discordance and started to use Disco on my turtle. Then cast invisibility (110 magery - 100%LRC - 40LMC suite) pause 20 seconds and the cast disco again.....rinse repeat.....when it's getting too easy remove jewelry one at a time.....
Hope this helps at least someone out there.....
Up The Irons
Henzy
Lord of The Ruskin Arms on Drachenfels

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Typically if you are trying to gain bard skills you'll want to lock music at 100. Anything above that and you get a musicianship bonus which impacts your other bard skill gains.
(If you have a stone handy, and are planning on raising discord. You would benefit from stoning off musicianship and re-raising it to 100 which can be done pretty quickly and then locking it there until you 120 Discord.)

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I had to do that (drop music back to 100) to get the other skills to move above about 105 or so. Getting music to 90 or 100 is a piece of cake...

Henzy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Logrus, Tuan. Thanx for the replies!!

Up The Irons!!
Henzy

Henzy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Today I tried to raise disco by disco-mastery - casting despair on myself. I lowered Musicianship to 95. Disco is at 93 and I use NPC bought instrumnents but nonetheless the crystal ball says: discordance: too easy. Any ideas?
Again, as always, thanx in advance for help and advice is appreciated greatly!!
Up The Irons
Henzy

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Today I tried to raise disco by disco-mastery - casting despair on myself. I lowered Musicianship to 95. Disco is at 93 and I use NPC bought instrumnents but nonetheless the crystal ball says: discordance: too easy. Any ideas?
Again, as always, thanx in advance for help and advice is appreciated greatly!!
Up The Irons
Henzy
I trained all the bard skills to 120 w/ the masteries... I can tell you that it is very slow going and that the crystal ball will always state how it is "too easy". Never mind what the ball says. You will get gains very slowly, but you will get your gains. Just keep at it. It will happen for you as it has for all the rest of us who've trod this path.

Use a max mr suit and high med so you can make a macro to run every 6 or 7 seconds and be able to bear all the mana usage (I forgot what I found to be the optimal time interval, but I think that was it; just mess with it and you'll figure it out). Also, I do not recall if despair is necessary. If I remember right, trib is sufficient. But if you run both, throw on some hpr and maybe a bracelet of health, also maybe factor in a heal every 4 or 5 despair cycles. Whatever works.

Henzy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Ioelis Thank you very much for your information. I'm not sure yet if I'll go this path indeed. At the moment I'm just using disco on my GD with music back at 120 and disco also at 120 with the help of ring and bracelet. The crystal ball says "optimal" and the real skill is crawling up indeed - 97.5 at this very moment.
Up The Irons!!
Henzy

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Ioelis Thank you very much for your information. I'm not sure yet if I'll go this path indeed. At the moment I'm just using disco on my GD with music back at 120 and disco also at 120 with the help of ring and bracelet. The crystal ball says "optimal" and the real skill is crawling up indeed - 97.5 at this very moment.
Up The Irons!!
Henzy
You're welcome.

If I understood your post right, you are adding jewels as you train off of a GD. I dunno how good gains are at 120 w/ a GD, but gains at anything in that high area are going to be very, very slow. If they are just as slow as by other means, masteries shine like the sun. Here is why: optimization.......

While your current setup is giving you an opportunity to gain off GD, you will be waiting 10+ seconds for the discord to wear off and be able to try again; this can lead to 12 to 13 second macro cycles...... meanwhile, you can cut your time in half using the masteries.

Half. That means that what will take 6 days will take 3. That is huge time savings. And there is no awful pet poop to clean up afterwards.... just ones own (be sure to clean leggings and boots when finished; casting all those discord masteries on oneself has a way of triggering uncontrolled bowel movements; try not to have too many guests over).

In any case, feel free to pm if you need any help there........ and good luck; disco is far and away an awesome skill. enjoy it......