• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

SO, Where do you call home?

CaesarDoP

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greeting, When I started playing UO many years ago, I chose the Great Lakes Shrad, becuase my friends played on it, and they chose it because we live in Cleveland Ohio, on the Southern Boarder of Lake Erie, the Shallowist of all the Great Lakes.

So my question is, where do you live in Real Life?

Peace be with all of You

Caesar

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
im from Port Clinton, OH so i chose great lakes because i also live on one lol. (hour from cleveland and toledo, 30min from cedar point). Ohio must have a secret uo organization.

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I played Catskills first, because my stepfather and his "friends" played there. They all left for other games, and still play them, but not UO. So I came to Great Lakes in 99/00 because Celes played here, and she had a small tower. I've been to just about every shard, made friends, and Great Lakes just has me coming back everytime. So you're stuck with me.

Connecticut for the RL.

M

Mirage

Lake County in Indiana.

Played Catskills/GL, now Atlantic/GL

Mir

S

SovereignOne

Canad... errrr... I mean Madison, WI
LoL! That brought a smile to my face! :lol:

Born and raised in the heart of the USA, IOWA!!!

Iowa Hawkeyes 24 - (#3) Penn State Nittany Lions 23

Sorry to all you cheddar heads around here, we (Iowa) beat you too! :sword: :cheerleader:

Now I'm living 2 hours south of Chicago (greatest city in the world!) in the great state of Illinios! :bowdown:

M

Mirage

Sorry to all you cheddar heads around here, we (Iowa) beat you too! :sword: :cheerleader:

Now I'm living 2 hours south of Chicago (greatest city in the world!) in the great state of Illinios! :bowdown:
Haha I lived my whole life in Illinois, till two years ago.

South of, and close to Chicago...but not TOO close to Chicago, thank god.

Mir

Sedric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's no Michigan west of Chicago. :--(
He must have meant somethin else because even if he mixed up west and east, Livonia is alot farther then 35 miles away from Chicago.

As for me...

Northville, Michigan

Xegugg

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He must have meant somethin else because even if he mixed up west and east, Livonia is alot farther then 35 miles away from Chicago.

As for me...

Northville, Michigan
She has two homes
One is in Michigan and the other is in Illinois. Sorry for using the & symbol.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Madison WI, and fyi Chicago is the ******* of the USA.
You must not get out much. Chicago is great city. I can think of MANY cities that pale in comparison. Ever been to Newark? Gary, IN? Detroit? East St Louis?

Yes, I live in Chicago in the western suburbs which are regularly ranked as some of the best places to live in the country.

I've been to Madison. It is an average city and college town.

Here check out Money's 2008 List

Naperville, IL (I just moved from there to a suburb closer to the city) is ranked #3.

Madison? 89th

Sedric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You must not get out much. Chicago is great city. I can think of MANY cities that pale in comparison. Ever been to Newark? Gary, IN? Detroit? East St Louis?

Yes, I live in Chicago in the western suburbs which are regularly ranked as some of the best places to live in the country.

I've been to Madison. It is an average city and college town.

Here check out Money's 2008 List

Naperville, IL (I just moved from there to a suburb closer to the city) is ranked #3.

Madison? 89th
So which is ranked higher on the "list"? Chicago or Madison?

Kahlan_FHP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

We might not be that far apart. I live just outside of Champaign :)

H

Harloff

We might not be that far apart. I live just outside of Champaign :)
Go east on 74 when you get to rt 1 go north about 30 miles, When you start smelling burned beans (bean canning Factory) you'll find yourself in the stink hole of a town that I live in

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So which is ranked higher on the "list"? Chicago or Madison?
How can you compare downtown Chicago to Madison WI? Seriously. Its not even in the same category. Any downtown of a large city is going to to be completely different than a small podunk town. Lets see population of Madison WI - 220k. Population of Chicago 3 mil (9.7 in chicagoland area).

Naperville is 150k population so its close to Maidson in size and is a fair comparison and why I choose it.

Want to compare Madison with Chicago? How many football teams does Madison have (no, the Badgers don't count)? Baseball? Shopping? Industry? Is it on a great lake? Airport? Museums? Duh...

If you want to compare Chicago to other MAJOR cities I think you will find it very livable, very clean with alot of cultural events. I'd put it up against many other cities 'downtowns' that I have visited.

I've been to nearly every major city in the US and I can tell you Chicago has alot more going for it than most. Try visiting Minneapolis, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Detroit, St Louis etc. Most do not have nearly the public transportation system, shopping, nightlife etc that Chicago has. Detroit is a veritable war zone in parts of downtown. Downtown Houston is a ghost town past 6pm. What is the highlight in St Louis? A crummy 600ft arch (just a bit more than half the size of Chicago's two observation decks) and riverboat gambling? Please.

Maybe you are just jealous because you can't afford to live here at least not in a good area. Condo's in downtown Chicago go for 350k and up. Its pricy because people like to live here and there are ALOT of people who live downtown Chicago. If you want to live in Trump's new building on the river its going to set you back 800k and up.

Just because we have trolls living on the South Side of the city that make all the headlines in your local news doesn't mean that all the city is bad.

It sounds to me like you haven't spent a whole lot of time here. I'd suggest you come with some facts or reasons on why you are bashing Chicago vs just another empty opinion. Of course, every other post you have had here has zero substance as well so what should I expect?

Some pictures of our fine city that I personally took. Not sure how you can compare this to Madison but ok.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Want to compare Madison with Chicago? How many football teams does Madison have (no, the Badgers don't count)? Baseball? Shopping? Industry? Is it on a great lake? Airport? Museums? Duh...

Badgers do count. It's a football team that the entire city supports. Why wouldn't they count?

Baseball - I live about 3 minutes from the Mallards Baseball park. Granted its not Major League, but still $30 gets you an all you can drink/eat pass for the game!

Shopping - State Street in Madison is a great place to shop.

Lakes - It's on two lakes, which aren't completely polluted. Lake Mendota and Lake Manona. The downtown area of Madison is actually an Isthmus.

Airport - Dane County Regional Airport offers direct flight to most major International Airports in the US.

Museum - http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=madison+museum&aq=f&oq=

Your post is written like a true FIB. I've been to Chicago on several occasions and I just don't like the city. Full of rude people and the traffic is horrible. Do I really have to explain myself to you? I'm expressing my opinion.

BTW - my morning stool has more substance than any post you've ever had on stratics.

:thumbup1:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How can you compare downtown Chicago to Madison WI? Seriously. Its not even in the same category. Any downtown of a large city is going to to be completely different than a small podunk town. Lets see population of Madison WI - 220k. Population of Chicago 3 mil (9.7 in chicagoland area).

Naperville is 150k population so its close to Maidson in size and is a fair comparison and why I choose it.

If you want to compare Chicago to other MAJOR cities I think you will find it very livable, very clean with alot of cultural events. I'd put it up against many other cities 'downtowns' that I have visited.

I've been to nearly every major city in the US and I can tell you Chicago has alot more going for it than most. Try visiting Minneapolis, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Detroit, St Louis etc. Most do not have nearly the public transportation system, shopping, nightlife etc that Chicago has. Detroit is a veritable war zone in parts of downtown. Downtown Houston is a ghost town past 6pm. What is the highlight in St Louis? A crummy 600ft arch (just a bit more than half the size of Chicago's two observation decks) and riverboat gambling? Please.

Maybe you are just jealous because you can't afford to live here at least not in a good area. Condo's in downtown Chicago go for 350k and up. Its pricy because people like to live here and there are ALOT of people who live downtown Chicago. If you want to live in Trump's new building on the river its going to set you back 800k and up.

Just because we have trolls living on the South Side of the city that make all the headlines in your local news doesn't mean that all the city is bad.

It sounds to me like you haven't spent a whole lot of time here. I'd suggest you come with some facts or reasons on why you are bashing Chicago vs just another empty opinion. Of course, every other post you have had here has zero substance as well so what should I expect?

Some pictures of our fine city that I personally took. Not sure how you can compare this to Madison but ok.

I've been to chicago, i liked it there alot. The only big cities i have been to are Detroit, NY, Washington DC, and the subpar big cities of ohio, and Chicago was the one place i wouldn't mind living out of those.

S

Saleena

I've been to both Madison and Chicago to much city life for me I'll take my little town population of about 5,000 if that up against your 2 cities any day!! hehe GO Niagara WI!!

Sedric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How can you compare downtown Chicago.........
Welp...This was about all I read of your post. If you notice, I wasnt really comparing any two cities. Just thought I'd point you in the direction of something ironic.

Also....Saleena....What is with your avatar. Was there a bottom part of that picture that you had cropped off in order to use?

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Badgers do count. It's a football team that the entire city supports. Why wouldn't they count?

Baseball - I live about 3 minutes from the Mallards Baseball park. Granted its not Major League, but still $30 gets you an all you can drink/eat pass for the game!

Shopping - State Street in Madison is a great place to shop.

Lakes - It's on two lakes, which aren't completely polluted. Lake Mendota and Lake Manona. The downtown area of Madison is actually an Isthmus.

Airport - Dane County Regional Airport offers direct flight to most major International Airports in the US.

Museum - http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=madison+museum&aq=f&oq=

Your post is written like a true FIB. I've been to Chicago on several occasions and I just don't like the city. Full of rude people and the traffic is horrible. Do I really have to explain myself to you? I'm expressing my opinion.

BTW - my morning stool has more substance than any post you've ever had on stratics.

:thumbup1:
First - I never said anything negative about Madison - I just don't feel there is any way to compare it to a city 20 times its size. All the silly things you list Chicago has in the suburbs. Minor league baseball team? We have one in Schaumburg, one in Kane County and maybe more I'm not aware of. Yes, cheap place to see a game with players you never heard of.

You are comparing Dade County Airport to O'hare or Midway? Please. MSN serves 15 locations with non-stop flights. 15. How does that compare? I can go direct to Bejing and Germany from O'hare. C'mon.

The Badgers dont' count. They are terrible and got beat by Michigan this year. Michigan would have trouble beating some of the HS teams here in Chicago this year.

My point was not that Madison wasn't a decent place to live. I've been there as recently as 2 months ago when I had to give a presentation. It has lots of nice people (not counting you of course) and does have lot going for it - but its not in the same league as Chicago.

Go spend some time in downtown Detroit, Baltimore, DC, Houston or some other cities and compare to Chicago. I think you will find a world of difference. Try New Orleans - that place smells like a urine filled crackhouse and they bury people above ground in crypts because its under sea level. Creepy.

Yes, traffic here sucks but it isn't nearly as bad as LA or the DC area. Plus we are putting $$ into the roads and traffic is improving every day. Its not like the Beltway in Maidson is smooth sailing at 5pm either. The difference is I can take a very nice train home from downtown Chicago and not have to even get in my car. I have no choice in Madison.

On second though - you win. Chicago is truely horrible. Please stay in Madison and never come here. Promise?

C

Chaosy

I like how Lynk posts an opinion and Theo writes an essay about Chicago.

I'm going to have to agree that Madison > Chicago though. :(

Sedric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Theo...You sound as if you've fist fought strangers for talkin **** about your precious chicago. Take a deep breath and let it go. Its ok if people dont share your opinions.

Besides......For those who havent been there, your obession is making it a hard place to like.

B

Black Betty

North of Milwaukee, WI here. (transplanted from the Akron, OH area)

As many times as I have driven around and through Chicago, I can honestly say there is no way to compare it to Madison, WI, even if someone does write an essay about it. LOL

I am sure it's the same as comparing Houston and other large cities because I lived in the Houston area for several years and can say that while it is a very busy and dirty city itself, you are willing to put up with it for the dining and theatre districts. :)

S

SovereignOne

Heres a lil something I'd throw in the pot...

The Best Places to Raise Your Kids 2009
by Businessweek

This year we are going state by state. Once again working with OnBoard Informatics, a New York-based provider of real estate analysis, we selected towns with at least 50,000 residents and a median family income between $40,000 and $100,000.

We then narrowed the list of towns using the following weighted criteria: school performance; number of schools; household expenditures; crime rates; air quality; job growth; family income; museums, parks, theaters, and other amenities; and diversity.

We weighted school performance and safety most heavily, but also gave strong weight to amenities and affordability.

"Illinois"

Mount Prospect
Village of Mount Prospect

Nearest city: Chicago

Population: 54,603

Median household income: $82,504

Mount Prospect, a suburb 25 miles northwest of Chicago, was not only the best place to raise your kids in Illinois, it topped our list nationally.

It has low crime, great schools, and homes for a wide range of incomes.

Children have access to ball fields, hiking trails, skating rinks, indoor swimming pools, recreational centers, stores, restaurants, and multiplex movie theaters.

Runners-up:

Des Plaines

Palatine

I get a kick out of the folks saying that Madison is greater than Chicago!!! :lol: Comming from Iowa and living on the boarder of both Illinios and Wisconsin and having been to each states major cities several times, nothing beats Chicago as far as city life/living is concerned.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I get a kick out of FIBs who think Chicago is so great.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i like how Caesers poor thread got hijacked into the Chicago vs. Badgerville argument. Lynk how come you are always so heavily involved in hijacked threads? lol And for all of the michigan guys and girls, How bout them wolverines !? Or is everyone suddenly a sparty fan? :thumbup1: :thumbsup:

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i like how Caesers poor thread got hijacked into the Chicago vs. Badgerville argument. Lynk how come you are always so heavily involved in hijacked threads? lol
It breaks up the work day nicely.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i like how Caesers poor thread got hijacked into the Chicago vs. Badgerville argument. Lynk how come you are always so heavily involved in hijacked threads? lol And for all of the michigan guys and girls, How bout them wolverines !? Or is everyone suddenly a sparty fan? :thumbup1: :thumbsup:
My wife and I are Michigan State grads....I've been a Spartan fan for more than 30 years, tyvm. With that said, the SCu.m. can eat a big 'ole phat one lol. Nothing makes me happier after seeing my Spartans kick ass than watching those arrogant d-bags get pasted hehe.

Sedric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Michigan is rebuilding and their players were recruited for a totally different offense. They did dominate Minnesota last week. They'll be back..It might take a few years but they'll be back.

Sedric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
New Years eve drunk person Incharge of the Camera:thumbup1:
Thats your story and yer stickin to it, eh? You two looked like you were waiting to catch somthin in yer mouth but you didnt want to get it in yer eyes. :)

Oh well..You changed the picture.

B

Black Betty

Michigan is rebuilding and their players were recruited for a totally different offense. They did dominate Minnesota last week. They'll be back..It might take a few years but they'll be back.
They will still never be as great as Ohio State. :lol:

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I love how DickRod gets a free pass by the media and Wal Mart Wolverines in Detroit. Mark Dantonio started last year with a new team that had been recruited to run an entirely different type of offense (spread). He managed to make a bowl game in his first year. Funny that wonderboy hasn't been able to do the same thing. I just don't get it. But I'm enjoying the hell out of it..........................